Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Tautologicus posted:

Why yes, I might live in this cardboard box on the side of the road in Queens, but I've got 10 billion dollars tucked away in an S&P Fund so it's all good :smuggo:

I think that's a little bit extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Like I don't think anyone needs 10 billion dollars on hand just to live.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

circ dick soleil posted:

Like I don't think anyone needs 10 billion dollars on hand just to live.

But if he took out any sizable amount over the years, an amount that would support his ideal ostentatious lifestyle, it would greatly affect his returns, cause of how compound interest works, and he wouldnt get anywhere near 20 billion..i could figure it out for you in a compound interest calculator but i dont feel like it, thats the wonder of gbs

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Like, he's worth 10 billion now with spending/investments. The S&P thing assumes he spent none of that 200 million and just socked it away for 30 years and lived at his parents house or something. Thats dumb. Anyway i looked at a few calculators and none of them are very comprehensive but im right

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
$200m plus leadership of his dad's decently large real estate empire

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

$200m plus leadership of his dad's decently large real estate empire

I think theyre including whatever the real estate he inherited was worth into the 200m

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if the system falls apart (it doens't) because everyone gets a livable wage off one full time job, then the system should be burned down hth

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
And besides, Trump doesn't just have money, he has power. He knows people, people work for him, he can call in favors, he has influence. Roger Ailes called him personally to apologize for the treatment on Fox. Lets see that hypothetical S&P retard do any of that. Saying anybody could be like Trump if they only followed the broad market over time is just a function of being jelly without thinking it through imo.

They want you to have faith in the broad market so you keep thinking being able to save for retirement via a 401k was a noble gesture instead of another way to gently caress the little guy (the disappearance of pensions).

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 13, 2015

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Tautologicus posted:

Like, he's worth 10 billion now with spending/investments. The S&P thing assumes he spent none of that 200 million and just socked it away for 30 years and lived at his parents house or something. Thats dumb. Anyway i looked at a few calculators and none of them are very comprehensive but im right

If he's such a great businessman, why would he need to start with 200 million? He could've tucked it away AND gotten more wealthy by pulling himself up by his bootstraps. Of course, you could just admit that inheriting 200 million in the 70s gave him the opportunity to buy up Manhattan real estate when it was bottoming out. He was lucky to have that kind of timing. It wasn't his business savvy.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
A McDonalds with no cashiers would be awesome. Order on a touchscreen or online through an app and charge straight to your card. When your food is ready the cook puts it in a little cubby on a wall and you go pick it up. No more lines.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Einstein posted:

He could've tucked it away AND gotten more wealthy by pulling himself up by his bootstraps.

How do you figure

notZaar posted:

A McDonalds with no cashiers would be awesome. Order on a touchscreen or online through an app and charge straight to your card. When your food is ready the cook puts it in a little cubby on a wall and you go pick it up. No more lines.

A cashless society only benefits the banks and their 1.5-3% charge on every merchant transaction done with any kind of card. Even if you use a credit union, Mastercard/Visa/Amex gets their 1%. Lovin the disconnect these days. People want things to be easier and ignore how exactly it gets to be easier and who benefits.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 13, 2015

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

notZaar posted:

Agreed, interacting with other human beings is a harrowing experience I would like to avoid as much as possible

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
a fine double post

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
What are we supposed to do with all the people once robots take over all the menial jobs? Government assisted living? Hobby grants? Are my tax dollars going to go to pay some doofus to watch anime all day when I'm 80?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

notZaar posted:

Are my tax dollars going to go to pay some doofus to watch anime all day when I'm 80?

Lol no that's going on right now. Thank you btw!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

What are we supposed to do with all the people once robots take over all the menial jobs? Government assisted living? Hobby grants? Are my tax dollars going to go to pay some doofus to watch anime all day when I'm 80?

https://youtu.be/KTJn_DBTnrY?t=13m57s

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 13, 2015

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

notZaar posted:

The Matrix.

There was no war it was a corporate takeover with a severance package for obsolete employees.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Tautologicus posted:

How do you figure

You tell me. You're the one talking about his business savvy. My point was that his inheritance is the reason he's been able to get where he is.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Einstein posted:

You tell me. You're the one talking about his business savvy. My point was that his inheritance is the reason he's been able to get where he is.

I agree, there's not a billionaire on earth who hasn't gotten lucky in some way or another, if you really put your mind to thinking like that. Would you say Mark Zuckerberg bootstrapped his way to his riches? But I wouldn't want him to be president. Neither would I want Bill Gates to be, and he wouldn't want to either. So maybe I'm saying something different???

Also, you seem to think a billionaire ought to have worked a million times as hard or something like that. And we just aren't coming from the same direction there. After a certain point, what you get back is not at all proportionate to what you've put in..head start+a good opportunity in Trump's case, and some real backroom shady business in Zuckerberg + Gate's case, as well as having the right idea and followthrough at the right time (in another set of circumstances they could just have been poor little millionaires btw).

I'm talking more about personality and temperament as well as the experiences that seem to have shaped the person into who they are today. Who cares if Trump got a head start, someone else who got the same head start might not have done as well with it, and he might look like a little pushover on camera or like the product of someone else's management.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 13, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

These are the sorts of questions we should be asking

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Automation on its own is very bad, singularity people don't understand the entire economic system needs to change *first* before any more technological progress is made and makes even more willing serfs out of us all.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

The ideal scenario for labor replacement automation is a point in the future where, due to advanced automation and access to the functionally infinite resources of our solar system, scarcity is no longer a factor of our society. This frees humans to pursue arts and philosophy, or explore the cosmos, or whatever, free from the shackles of poverty and war.

What's actually going to happen is like that movie Elysium where the 1-percenters go live in a glorious space utopia with no disease, and unfathomable luxury and decadence, while the rest of us are stuck on earth which is somewhere between a ghetto and a prison.

It turns out that the kind of person who looks at their $100 million savings account and goes "Yeah, that number could be higher" also has a a highly elevated likelihood of looking at the amount of money that they spend on the actual labor to achieve those sorts of numbers and go, "You know, I'd really like this number to approach as close to $0 as possible. And do these people really need health care? I mean, come on."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tautologicus posted:

Automation on its own is very bad, singularity people don't understand the entire economic system needs to change *first* before any more technological progress is made and makes even more willing serfs out of us all.

Unfortunately usually new technology advances change society, not the other way around.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tautologicus posted:

A cashless society only benefits the banks and their 1.5-3% charge on every merchant transaction done with any kind of card. Even if you use a credit union, Mastercard/Visa/Amex gets their 1%. Lovin the disconnect these days. People want things to be easier and ignore how exactly it gets to be easier and who benefits.

isn't that only if you buy on credit? afaik debit is between you and the bank, but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I sell things to people.

Every card authorization, credit or debit, costs me $0.45. Every authorization mind, not every actual purchase. So when I run your card and it gets declined I just lost $0.45.

Then, when the charges actually happen, merchant services takes 2% of the total for themselves. If the address or CID or ZIP or whatever can't be verified (it just can't sometimes depending on the issuing bank) but the card is still good they take 4%.

Rates vary depending on volume of sales.

I bet VISA/MC would just loving love a cashless society where they take 2-4% of literally every transaction lol. Yeah just pay them rent to be able to use our currency brilliant idea.

Also they take $20 as a chargeback fee even if the charge back ends up being resolved in my favor. They just get that fee regardless. Definitely had people impulse order some $9.99 poo poo then later forget and initiate a charge back without bothering to call first or investigate and now I just lost $20 on an order I only made a couple bucks on in the first place.

ALSO if you think full automation at Walmart and McD's would be awesome because 'fast and no lines!' clearly you've never been stuck behind some fool who just can't figure that poo poo out to save his life or stands there taking forever to order because they just dunno what they want and there's no one standing in front of them hurrying them along.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 13, 2015

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

some dummy grabs the wrong order from the "ready" queue at the fully automated McDonalds at the same time someone decides they want to add an extra order of fries while they pay for their meal.

CHAOS REIGNS

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I said phone app, gently caress those idiots who park themselves in the robo lines. They are only 1 notch above people who use personal checks on grocery stores.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

big man marcus with his 7 kids eating at mcdonalds decides to take charge and go through all the ready bags with his grimy hands to find which one contains his double cheese burger and which 7 bags contain nuggets.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
A cashless society really hurts the bottom 20-30% of income brackets, which owns pretty hard imo

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Richard better-than-thou Stemdegree stops by a local mcdonalds to degrade a brown service worker and only finds a bunch of millennials standing in line, berates them all to get his fix

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

robo lines at walmart -> everyone takes longer, theft soars

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

during a lunch time rush, robomcdonalds has 33 orders backed up, coming out sequentially to a pack of people hurriedly trying to get their food before they have to get back to work.

one person realizes he forgot his wallet at the office, steps out of line

chaos ensues

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Let's get rid of the restaurant entirely. Make it like those wall height food vending machines except everything is made to order. No shelter. No families.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Ten years from now, President Trump will accidentally strangle three babies to death on live television.

It'll make getting re-elected for a fourth term a real struggle.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
windows 10 crashes and 4-5 McD's tickets are lost in the fold during the lunch rush

chaos ensues

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Joan "don't tell me how to raise my kids" Bigtits is playing Candy Crush Sagas: Soda Crush on her iPhone 6 at a local robomcdonalds while her 2 little bastard children run around squirting ketchup all over the condiment counter and throwing ice on the floor.

with no workers to clean the mess or politely ask the lady to reign in her kids, a noble young college student makes a remark, triggering the lady to begin screaming and filming the incident. meanwhile, an 80 year old bernie sanders lookin guy slips on a puddle from the ice and must be treated at the hospital.

video goes viral, apparently showing a rude young punk assaulting the mother and shoving the old man.

young man goes to prison for life.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i'm cutting it close on my lunch break, need to get back to work, stop at the nearest robo mcdonalds. i order a simple quarter pounder with a $1 fries. as i wait for my meal to be robocooked, i decide the fries are a bit much, and i would rather have a $1 powerade with my burger. seeing that it's the same price, i go to the counter to ask if they may simply hold the fries and give me a drink instead.

robot doesn't understand a word i'm saying. processes alternate order. throws my burger and fries away and proceeds to begin cooking an entirely new meal , at the back of the line.

i'm late to work, fired, spend all day trolling the SA forums and crying

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

so just an average day then

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

i'm cutting it close on my lunch break, need to get back to work, stop at the nearest robo mcdonalds. i order a simple quarter pounder with a $1 fries. as i wait for my meal to be robocooked, i decide the fries are a bit much, and i would rather have a $1 powerade with my burger. seeing that it's the same price, i go to the counter to ask if they may simply hold the fries and give me a drink instead.

robot doesn't understand a word i'm saying. processes alternate order. throws my burger and fries away and proceeds to begin cooking an entirely new meal , at the back of the line.

I hate people that change their orders after they're in. It's loving a meal, not a lifetime contract. Decide and commit, like my vote for trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

robo lines at walmart -> everyone takes longer, theft soars

This is where the .50 cal auto turrets come in handy.

• Locked thread