Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing can torpedo trump, the only variable left is if he actually wants to be president or not. The rest is written in stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

homeless poster posted:

that's really the key issue. these people are already working jobs that the economy doesn't really need, and businesses don't really want to keep, but if you suddenly automate all of those jobs you suddenly have several million people with no income and no money and no hope for the future, and that might actually put the american public past the "eat the rich" tipping point. so, you have to keep these menial jobs, because it provides the barest illusion of stability, and it gives the middle class something to thumb their noses at and feel superior to. then you dither about, arguing whether or not to raise the minimum wage, because it's a good wedge issue and it again provides the illusion that life might get better for those along the bottom rungs, when really neither party has the political will to do anything substantive about it.

the joke here is that there's sufficient wealth in the U.S. that every single man, woman, and child could be fed, clothed, and sheltered for the entirety of their lives, and yet the argument is about whether or not we should raise minimum wage. anyone who seriously thinks that the critical issue is about $10/hr vs $15/hr is missing the big picture
yes to all counts. a higher minimum wage is nowhere near radical enough a solution, and is actually even a poor interim solution. intelligent new ways to redo how people are paid in this country need to start now, and all the people low on imagination but high on jealousy and reactive thinking need to be ignored.

- a trump supporter

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

lol, Forbes literally looked at his record and said he'd have been a lot richer if he just flat out coasted through life on his inherited wealth:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/financialfinesse/2015/08/06/how-to-beat-donald-trump-at-making-money/

Except all of his money would have been locked up in the S&P fund in order to do it, don't go too far with this, the writer of the article didn't.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why yes, I might live in this cardboard box on the side of the road in Queens, but I've got 10 billion dollars tucked away in an S&P Fund so it's all good :smuggo:

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

circ dick soleil posted:

Like I don't think anyone needs 10 billion dollars on hand just to live.

But if he took out any sizable amount over the years, an amount that would support his ideal ostentatious lifestyle, it would greatly affect his returns, cause of how compound interest works, and he wouldnt get anywhere near 20 billion..i could figure it out for you in a compound interest calculator but i dont feel like it, thats the wonder of gbs

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Like, he's worth 10 billion now with spending/investments. The S&P thing assumes he spent none of that 200 million and just socked it away for 30 years and lived at his parents house or something. Thats dumb. Anyway i looked at a few calculators and none of them are very comprehensive but im right

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

$200m plus leadership of his dad's decently large real estate empire

I think theyre including whatever the real estate he inherited was worth into the 200m

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
And besides, Trump doesn't just have money, he has power. He knows people, people work for him, he can call in favors, he has influence. Roger Ailes called him personally to apologize for the treatment on Fox. Lets see that hypothetical S&P retard do any of that. Saying anybody could be like Trump if they only followed the broad market over time is just a function of being jelly without thinking it through imo.

They want you to have faith in the broad market so you keep thinking being able to save for retirement via a 401k was a noble gesture instead of another way to gently caress the little guy (the disappearance of pensions).

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 13, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Einstein posted:

He could've tucked it away AND gotten more wealthy by pulling himself up by his bootstraps.

How do you figure

notZaar posted:

A McDonalds with no cashiers would be awesome. Order on a touchscreen or online through an app and charge straight to your card. When your food is ready the cook puts it in a little cubby on a wall and you go pick it up. No more lines.

A cashless society only benefits the banks and their 1.5-3% charge on every merchant transaction done with any kind of card. Even if you use a credit union, Mastercard/Visa/Amex gets their 1%. Lovin the disconnect these days. People want things to be easier and ignore how exactly it gets to be easier and who benefits.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 13, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
a fine double post

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

What are we supposed to do with all the people once robots take over all the menial jobs? Government assisted living? Hobby grants? Are my tax dollars going to go to pay some doofus to watch anime all day when I'm 80?

https://youtu.be/KTJn_DBTnrY?t=13m57s

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 13, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Einstein posted:

You tell me. You're the one talking about his business savvy. My point was that his inheritance is the reason he's been able to get where he is.

I agree, there's not a billionaire on earth who hasn't gotten lucky in some way or another, if you really put your mind to thinking like that. Would you say Mark Zuckerberg bootstrapped his way to his riches? But I wouldn't want him to be president. Neither would I want Bill Gates to be, and he wouldn't want to either. So maybe I'm saying something different???

Also, you seem to think a billionaire ought to have worked a million times as hard or something like that. And we just aren't coming from the same direction there. After a certain point, what you get back is not at all proportionate to what you've put in..head start+a good opportunity in Trump's case, and some real backroom shady business in Zuckerberg + Gate's case, as well as having the right idea and followthrough at the right time (in another set of circumstances they could just have been poor little millionaires btw).

I'm talking more about personality and temperament as well as the experiences that seem to have shaped the person into who they are today. Who cares if Trump got a head start, someone else who got the same head start might not have done as well with it, and he might look like a little pushover on camera or like the product of someone else's management.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 13, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

These are the sorts of questions we should be asking

Automation on its own is very bad, singularity people don't understand the entire economic system needs to change *first* before any more technological progress is made and makes even more willing serfs out of us all.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

isn't that only if you buy on credit? afaik debit is between you and the bank, but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

A debit card also has a "swipe fee" but it is lower. There is a reason some stores push you to use the debit option (entering the pin) at checkout if you must use a card at all.

Also i remember 7/11 had a petition in their stores a few years ago to get MC/Visa to lower their swipe fees for items under 10 or something, which I thought was slightly ironic, one huge corporation begging for mercy from another through its customers, but it also showed how big of a deal it is. Read a study that a covenience store literally loses money on a candy bar if you pay for it with a credit card.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Its gonna be great when instead of outsmarting real thinking people with experience all anyone will have to do is pass the hurdle of outsmarting the nerdling who they paid to crudely attempt to automate his job into a computer system. "10 secret life hacks they don't want you to know about" times a million, all the time, that's how it's going to be in a fully automated society.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SirMonkeyButt posted:

So did we ever find out what type of meat torpedo will take out rump?

Oh look! I just made a GBS!

Lolol 5 goldenmanbabies to you, SirMonkeyButt!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

vug posted:

"Trump" means to fart in British vernacular language

And Gaylord is a funny last name to Americans, sometimes these things happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zimboe posted:

I disagree.
In the final analysis, everything comes down to physics, in however many layers of abstraction are required.

:stare:

• Locked thread