Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I got back from my draft at like 3pm then played a bunch of cs and eu4!

Forget your reads, lets just talk about EU4 in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Anyway, I can't give the harpoon out until tonight. It looks like I won't get a chance to get to tonight, however. I'd ideally give it to Rarity but I don't know if I want to go that route since she's likely going to die. ANYWAY, I'm going to get some thoughts out there, so bear with me a sec.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Diqnol are you scum? You can tell me, I am very trustworthy.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Oh I know, I was just responding to the thing that was easiest to quote.

PMom is the real villain here, don't worry f_v I never thought poorly of you

thanks friend.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Okay, so first things first, there are some bad votes on me.

FV, I think your case is flawed inherently because you're cherrypicking times where I called people dumb or w/e. Me making comments like the one on QPQ without an alignment call actually are all alignment calls but all designed to get them to interact with suspicion and hopefully to get them to continue to talk. Calling people town is something I've always done because while it's somewhat unhelpful to make a lot of town calls, it helps to narrow the scope and it also lets me see what posters will do when they think they are NOT being scrutinized. It's all about getting people to do things you want them to without their notice else you'll get bad reads. I also think your comments about my interactions with Lumpen are laughable. I really dislike that guy and I think he's scum, I just never actually fleshed out a case on him previously because I hate reading his posts and thought other people might do it for me :P but I did definitely point to many times where Lumpen said something scummy, I just didn't condense it into a case. In order to believe Lumpen is town, you have to also believe that he's incapable of making reads and that he's purposely not reading the majority of the thread as town. Look at his posting; it's very focused on one or two people and he neglects to mention many others outside of his monkey cheese lumpen lists. FV, I sincerely don't understand your case and I'd probably be angry if I did because the logic seems to be that because I didn't case Lumpen and I didn't put in a ton of effort. That's silly to me.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Diqnol are you scum? You can tell me, I am very trustworthy.

I am not scum, Keane. As my companion of unknown temperament, I feel it is my duty to be honest with you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

FV, I think your case is flawed inherently because you're cherrypicking times where I called people dumb or w/e. Me making comments like the one on QPQ without an alignment call actually are all alignment calls but all designed to get them to interact with suspicion and hopefully to get them to continue to talk. Calling people town is something I've always done because while it's somewhat unhelpful to make a lot of town calls, it helps to narrow the scope and it also lets me see what posters will do when they think they are NOT being scrutinized. It's all about getting people to do things you want them to without their notice else you'll get bad reads. I also think your comments about my interactions with Lumpen are laughable. I really dislike that guy and I think he's scum, I just never actually fleshed out a case on him previously because I hate reading his posts and thought other people might do it for me :P but I did definitely point to many times where Lumpen said something scummy, I just didn't condense it into a case. In order to believe Lumpen is town, you have to also believe that he's incapable of making reads and that he's purposely not reading the majority of the thread as town. Look at his posting; it's very focused on one or two people and he neglects to mention many others outside of his monkey cheese lumpen lists. FV, I sincerely don't understand your case and I'd probably be angry if I did because the logic seems to be that because I didn't case Lumpen and I didn't put in a ton of effort, I am scum. That's silly to me.

mafia edit

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

How the hell are we supposed to find the edit, Waldo?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

HiipFire posted:

And the award for most pointless post of the year goes to..........

:ironicat:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hal Incandenza posted:

he added "I AM SCUM" in the second one

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sam hasn't justified his vote on me since d1 but he's been content to not play the game and ride it the whole time anyway. I find it puzzling that nobody has noticed that, either.

Vimes fell into the newbie trap as I explained earlier. It's a bad and misplaced vote but I think he's townier for it.

Madman has this crazy alignment tying theory and never once explained why I'm scum beyond some sort of vague link to QPQ. I think TMM might be scum based on the lack of content produced lately that has any real insight into the game. He's wordy but it's almost highschool essay quality content where you say 100 words when you should have said one. Looking at his record on the stances (ie: who hes been willing to vote for and when) would be telling and if I have time I'll get back to doing that shortly.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

FV, I think your case is flawed inherently because you're cherrypicking times where I called people dumb or w/e. Me making comments like the one on QPQ without an alignment call actually are all alignment calls but all designed to get them to interact with suspicion and hopefully to get them to continue to talk.

Do you have an example of where you've done this? ie, where you have followed through on your initial comment and continued engaging the player to determine their alignment? Because on my read, they seem more like throwaway comments.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

I didn't finish my penultimate sentence. You'll notice how silly it reads as on the first post.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sam hasn't justified his vote on me since d1 but he's been content to not play the game and ride it the whole time anyway. I find it puzzling that nobody has noticed that, either.

:colbert:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

We need, what, one unvote on Diq for BK to kill someone else?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Do you have an example of where you've done this? ie, where you have followed through on your initial comment and continued engaging the player to determine their alignment? Because on my read, they seem more like throwaway comments.

It's not so much that they're throwaway comments but more that I need the other person to engage me back to get anything out of it. I know I did it with Lumpen more than once and I think I did it with merk, too. I vaguely recall that TMM once bit on one but the post was so loving wordy and boring that I just didn't bother. I'll look to see if there are any other examples, though!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yeah really I've been voting Sam most of the game!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I trust Diqnol's word. He would never betray me, for he would fear that I would haunt him until the end of days.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

We are way off base here.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Samfu and Madman are scum. I'm feeling pretty confident on this one.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

We need, what, one unvote on Diq for BK to kill someone else?

BK: I think you're around rn. Would you kill Samfu?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's not so much that they're throwaway comments but more that I need the other person to engage me back to get anything out of it. I know I did it with Lumpen more than once and I think I did it with merk, too. I vaguely recall that TMM once bit on one but the post was so loving wordy and boring that I just didn't bother. I'll look to see if there are any other examples, though!

Haha, this is embarassing. I might not have at any other point. I don't have the time to go back and see if I did it any other time or if people just failed to engage me and that's why.

You realize I also scum hunt by having people vote me and engaging them on the logic behind their vote, right? Given my playstyle, I tend to think it's what works the best. I did that plenty

However, since I'm doing this leg work for you, FV, why don't you explain what about the things in your case makes me scum? I don't get how notes and town calls mean anything.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Does BK's kill end the day? I cant remember.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Did you? I've been ignoring your posts for the most part, Mom, because you don't seem like you're interested in convincing anybody of anything but more that you're interested in doing your own thing, much like how I do my own thing. You haven't been scummy or townie tbh

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Diqnol what happens if the scum never vote you?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Does BK's kill end the day? I cant remember.

I believe he said it did

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Did you? I've been ignoring your posts for the most part, Mom, because you don't seem like you're interested in convincing anybody of anything but more that you're interested in doing your own thing, much like how I do my own thing. You haven't been scummy or townie tbh

I was hoping I was on your list of five people :negative:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

Diqnol what happens if the scum never vote you?

If the scum never vote me, I probably end up with a lot of town calls. But lets be honest, Hal. My abrasiveness and all-over-the-place posting tends to draw some votes from opportunistic scum.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

My list of five people? I don't remember any list of five people.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

If the scum never vote me, I probably end up with a lot of town calls. But lets be honest, Hal. My abrasiveness and all-over-the-place posting tends to draw some votes from opportunistic scum.

Yeah, I totally get it. I use the same thing except instead of being abrasive I just don't post much.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I realize this, but unfortunately for you, you are one of 5 posters in this thread whose interpretation I would take seriously (not gonna name names) and I happen to think one of those other 5 is scum. It is imperative to me that you read the post. I'd be willing to cliff note it for you if it really is that bothersome.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Oh FWIW anyone calling me scumbuddies with anyone else is terrible. Don't ever assume that, scum can fake interactions really easily with town that look artificial. If anybody DOES hazard a look between Lumpen and I, you'll see me challenging the dude and calling him dumb a lot and him continuing to not change his mind in any way shape or form because he has no interest in doing so. I firmly believe that an individual in a mafia game who exhibits the trait of Opinion Conservationism is almost always going to be scum. Look at Lumpen's little change of heart if you really want to understand how fake he's been this game.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

However, since I'm doing this leg work for you, FV, why don't you explain what about the things in your case makes me scum? I don't get how notes and town calls mean anything.

They mean plenty. Scum dont want to call too many people scummy because it helps to clear players when they flip. You made a big case on merk and sat on it for 2 days. You called Lumpen scummy during that time, but mostly called other players town or just commented on them without seeming to follow through (QPQ really stands out in this regard to me).

Now you're saying that Lumpen is your scum read, but you've never explained your thought process there on what makes him scum. I'm not convinced that you're convinced by your Lumpen case when you can't even put in the effort to do that.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Oh, that. I'll never tell!!!!

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Pinterest Mom posted:

lj, if you want your vig to be useful, take out someone like exakt or hiip or hal

I don't really want to do any of those.

Also, diq's harpoon is lost if he's lynched.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Me too, but I dont think I was.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

fiery_valkyrie posted:

They mean plenty. Scum dont want to call too many people scummy because it helps to clear players when they flip. You made a big case on merk and sat on it for 2 days. You called Lumpen scummy during that time, but mostly called other players town or just commented on them without seeming to follow through (QPQ really stands out in this regard to me).

Now you're saying that Lumpen is your scum read, but you've never explained your thought process there on what makes him scum. I'm not convinced that you're convinced by your Lumpen case when you can't even put in the effort to do that.

I'd like to think that I'm explaining my thoughts on Lumpen now. If you want a big, concentrated post with quotes and poo poo you are going to be disappointed.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

ljtrigirl posted:

I don't really want to do any of those.

Also, diq's harpoon is lost if he's lynched.

Wouldn't it just drop like Kash's did?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My second draft starts in 10 minutes. I'll be able to post some because my picks are at a bookend but it will be harder to concentrate on this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Wouldn't it just drop like Kash's did?

I'm assuming not, but I also didn't think Kash's would drop so eh.

• Locked thread