Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

The good news is I'm town and you've proven to me that you're bad at this game regardless of your alignment

This is a lovely post. Seems desperate. Scummy gaslighting.

I'm also not really interested in doing that as it's the absolute least fun part of mafia so I'm going to go ahead and let you all know that I'll be not defending myself but rather continuing to do my own thing, hope this helps you understand me going forward, cheers

This is a worse post. The second merk calls you out you say you are no longer interested because it's the least fun part of mafia? You got yourself into this.

##vote diqnol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Samfucius posted:

How are you feeling about him now?

how are YOU feeling about the game currently, Samfucius?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

Ok, Anonymous Narcotics totally let me down and didn't do poo poo so I just read and caught up.

##vote Samfucious this is the correct vote.

Also people who do not like Keane or Meinburg's posting need to get out.

So you read the thread, but instead of replying to complaints about you you jump on an easy vote.

I'm leaning scum on Hal.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Additionally, I just went through TMM's post history and there is almost nothing there, despite bragging about being the 'top poster.'

Posts like this

TMMadman posted:

It's possible to switch names or powers around. Just because something is often named one way doesn't mean that it can't be changed for flavor purposes.

TMMadman posted:

I don't think the LJ votes are good because she is new to this site. Sure, she has played Mafia before and seems to be well versed in searching for scum, but it also seems rude to not give her at least until D2 to find her footing within this community.

I doubt I would still be playing if everyone voted me out on D1 of my very first game. Now granted that was a little different cause I hadn't ever played Mafia before, but the principle is the same: give the new person a day before you really go all out on them (even if they are scum).

where he's mafia dadding. Seriously, so much mafia dadding. This is just the beginning.

and then his lurker callout seems really forced. He mentions his top poster status, either directly or indirectly, several times, as if he is checking constantly to make sure he has the most posts, despite the fact that there is almost literally zero scumhunting.

and then stuff like this:

TMMadman posted:

merk, are you voting for SamV or Samfu?

Votetracker has it as SamV, but since you are agreeing with PMom, I'm assuming you mean Samfu?

When talking about a Sam this game could everyone please remember to add V or fu at the end of it for clarity?

Where he has clearly paid attention to your votes on Sam but he has nothing to say about it, and no opinions whatsoever.

##unvote, ##vote TMMadman

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

What complaints?

Rarity posted:

Oh look and then you jump on Sam with a vote that could easily be played off as a joke or pushed as a serious case.

Boo, Hal.

Boo.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Honestly it stuck in my craw because I am wondering if I have a meta, and I am obviously a self-absorbed person.

tbh my meta read on you is that your scum game is lurkey and bad so even though your posting is still awkward I'm leaning town on you.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Thanks Hal.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

so invested in being right

:ironicat:

I don't like your case because it makes a lot of assumptions about what merk was thinking that I did not get out of the posts you quoted. And it speaks to his motivations without giving me an actual idea of how it benefits him as scum.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

He is much more valuable as town than he is as scum, and that generally makes me reluctant to go for him, especially this early.

Do you mean he's more valuable to the town as town than he is to the scumteam as scum? or something else?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ljtrigirl posted:

That's like not even true at all. I said initially that I thought Lumpen might be evil because it felt like he tried to use random mod poo poo to clear a bunch of people in a way that seemed forced. Since then, it's felt like he's trying to blend in but in a way that someone antagonistic would do.

When you package it like this, it makes a lot more sense. Would vote.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'm starting to feel better about TMM. This post in particular:

TMMadman posted:

This is pretty much spot on about me. I tend to post a lot of crap on D1 (I try to focus and not post as much poo poo after D1) because I'm a messenger and spend the majority of my day in my car alone with my phone. So I tend to treat D1 as a time to shoot the poo poo and just try to get people to post in the thread, even if it doesn't really have to do with the game.

And for clarification, while my lurker poke was maybe a bit premature, I stand behind it. I just wanted those people to come in and make a post or two. I didn't care that chaos or anarc came in and just made and post about being busy, I was just happy to see something from them. I'm happy QPQ came in and made some effort posts even though he ended up voting for me.

Also the line about being a posting superstar was meant to be a joke and I thought it should have been clear because I know I've posted plenty of crap already. Next time I'll just add a :v: to make it obvious that I'm not taking myself seriously.

And Gamer, since you asked nicely I will indeed give you some reads, but I'll have to do it later tonight when I'm on my computer. Is that reasonable?

I have mulled over and find it satisfactory.

##unvote

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

This, combined with this:

Is mega scummy. Gamer is letting a vote sit on TMM while simultaneously defending him. He can walk this back as a prod if momentum builds and whatnot. I don't like it!

Do you know what I do like? That's right. Chains to rattle *rattles chains spookily*

This post has really convinced me though. On a reread of Gamer he looks really bad. For one, his response to Keane:

Gamerofthegame posted:

I can think an action isn't scummy while holding someone to claims of content at the same time!!

is terrible. You are voting someone who has promised to give you reads right after said promise? What is the value of this vote other than posturing?

Additionally, this post:

Gamerofthegame posted:

not to devalue your opinion lumpen but who do you think isn't scummy

cuz I'm pretty sure you're eyed literally everyone

is particularly bad because it's casually dismissing everything lumpen has said without either addressing it or asking him about it. He just asks him to clear people as town. Gamer is trying to look engaged.

##vote Gamer

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

:catstare: man our cases were close together time-wise!

I'm glad we're on the same page though.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane is there a reason you aren't voting anyone this game?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hmmm.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Because Keane is making good cases and not voting. I wanted him to confirm that there was a reason for this.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Thanks Hal.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

But I meant in general, not just with Keane. You were all fired up about lurkers earlier too. Just relax and let things come to you it's totally the best that way

Just not the way I play. I play video games to relax. Mafia works parts of my brain I don't work enough.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Mithross posted:

BK backing merk over diqnol when the whole things started with an (admittedly poor, but not scummy) case on BK is interesting. I'm not sure exactly what I think of it, but I am thinking about it.

I'm not backing merk. Diqnol was being scummy and merk wasn't. Casing me isn't scummy.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

BK - Guy is acting weird, put a lot of stock in your very early suspicion of me, seems to randomly call out players for not posting in a style he likes and just seemed a little over-aggressive in his early reads and callouts, especially in a game that is still in its relative infancy. Also his snide remark when I posted yesterday morning that implied there was some swell of suspicion around me I was ignoring when in fact it was one post by you all irked about my VT claim and SSV vote and another post by him going "yeah, that" and that was it totally rubbed me the wrong way. I still don't like it but it's hard to argue against "that's just my style"

I find it interesting that it rubbed you the wrong way. I found the fact that you ignored it scummy so I pointed that out.

The fact that pretty much every point you made in this post involves meta is interesting too. This is irking me. I get irked a lot.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Question to all of you: how can one "be scummy" if one is not scum? Did you mean to say "seemed scummy" when you said this or are you being hyperbolic?

semantics

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

They're more known for their offense. Offensive odor, that is!

Can ghosts smell?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jedit posted:

Hard to say, my feeling is based on one or maybe two interactions. I would say that it's more likely that both of them are scum than neither of them, and if only one of them is scum it's probably Diqnol because he's the one forcing it.

Merk is dangerous as scum in the late game if he's not under suspicion because he's good at rallying Town around, but he's also effective as Town. I'd rather keep him around for now, so long as we don't all jump on his bandwagons.

You think it's likely that both merk and diqnol are scum? I want to hear more about this.

And merk is helpful as town but only if we don't follow his opinions?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

i think it'd be useful if everybody provided the thread with a list of people they'd vote for

ideally, that list would be ranked

1. Gamer
2. Hal
3. Diqnol

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I once kept merk alive for an entire game as scum just to prove I could. I did, in fact, win that game and survived to the end.

This excerpt makes me really annoyed. I don't think it's particularly scummy because you being obnoxious is a null tell but it's just annoying to read.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Lumpen posted:

Oh, how wishy-washy of you, ~keepin' your options open~ I see.
Folks, that's Scummy.

So you interpret having multiple opinions as keeping your options open? Is the only way to not be scummy to just have one opinion and not change it?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

1. Gamer
2. Lumpen
3. Hal
4. Diqnol

mafia edit, I just realized I forgot Lumpen on this list.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Another way of saying that is "Don't rely on meta because it can easily be weaponized against town." Lumpen could probably recall an anecdote about that.

I agree with this. I would also add never to rely on someone else's meta read if you don't have one, especially when it is someone talking about themselves.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Lumpen posted:

I think its really interesting to have you coming in to defend Diqnol, while you also have him on your list of people you'd supposedly vote. It doesnt seem kike you would really vote him, have you posted critically of him at any point before dropping him in your list of 3?

Yes. And I already did vote him.

BottleKnight posted:

This is a lovely post. Seems desperate. Scummy gaslighting.

This is a worse post. The second merk calls you out you say you are no longer interested because it's the least fun part of mafia? You got yourself into this.

##vote diqnol

Also I'm not concerned with defending diqnol. I'm focusing on you. I think you are fabricating opinions and I find it scummy.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Lumpen posted:

Also funny that you suddenly put me way up on your list, but not until after "remembering" that you totally have that ~stromg suspicion~ (weird to "forget" since you were actively addressing me right then). It doesn't seem like that opinion is sincerely held. Is it supported by any of your previous posts?

Oh, and in finding my diqnol vote earlier I forgot to respond to this.

I said I would vote you here:

BottleKnight posted:

When you package it like this, it makes a lot more sense. Would vote.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

merk posted:

I will be out of pocket all day tomorrow and maybe through deadline. I'm moving into a new home which doesn't have Internet yet. At best, I will be on a phone.

I really think Diq flips scum here. Barring that for some reason, look at the zero traction my Birdstrike comments early in the day got. I haven't ever revealed this theory of mine, but it's caught scum in a few games of months past that I've explained a different way because I didn't think this theory would be compelling to most town players: Scum often follow my wrong cases early on day 1 because there's no culpability for the scum when I badger the person to death and they flip town. I'm always the topic of discussion the next day. If I was wrong about Birdstrike I would have expected some scum to quote me with a "hell yeah" type of comment. It instead went nowhere. When Diqnol attacked me for it, no one negatively or positively talked about the vote on Birdstrike, just the Diqnol stuff alone. I believe this is telling and points to Birdstrike being scum.

This was done on a phone so apologize for formatting.

When you say Birdstrike, who is not in this game, are you talking about me?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

merk posted:

Oh yeah. You. Your names are similar.

I don't control how others interact with you or me.

I don't really buy your "people didn't interact with me so therefore the person I cased is scum" theory at all, it just seems like a huge leap instead of casing someone for their content.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ljtrigirl posted:

Why is diqnol so low on the list? I thought he would be higher for you.

Because I have other people I have found scummier in the meantime. I would still vote to lynch diqnol, based on the reasons I have already posted.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ljtrigirl posted:

But you've spend more posts on him than anyone else, if I remember. And he has way more vote pressure right now.

I guess I just think that, if he is scum, you are bussing him here based on your interactions and the way that you've pressured him.

Did you read my case on Gamer? I'm more sold on him as scum.

I've posted reasons for everyone on that list, except Hal maybe, and Hal is just pinging me based on several things.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ljtrigirl posted:

But you've spend more posts on him than anyone else, if I remember. And he has way more vote pressure right now.

I guess I just think that, if he is scum, you are bussing him here based on your interactions and the way that you've pressured him.

Also I don't like the idea that I should be voting someone based on voting pressure. That seems like something a scum player would be paying attention to.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ljtrigirl posted:

That a terribad mindset. Goods should be paying attention to it just as much if not more. Votes are our weapons. And multiple ones are more powerful than singletons.

Besides, you need a bunch of people voting with you to lynch someone.

If it's deadline I agree with you, but shouldn't we be voting our #1 scumread other than that?

I get your argument about how it was unclear to you why I wasn't voting diqnol, but to say that it's surprising because of voting pressure? It irks me.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ljtrigirl posted:

But it's not just about voting. He was #4 on your list. That's not a "I'm just not voting him because I'd rather vote this dude", that's a "Yeah. Sure. Totally in on that if that's where it's heading" spot. Combined with my recollection of your posts on him, it just didn't make sense. And then you went and added Lumpen back in.

And, yes. Clearly. I'm voting mine, which like no one seems to care about.

I think that would accurately portray my thoughts on Diqnol. He is no longer my #1 scumread (obviously) but I would still vote for him because I think he is scummy.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ljtrigirl posted:

Oh, but if someone accused me of bussing and I was good, I'd probably turn it back around on them and ask them how they knew that the person was evil.

So I kind of think that Bottle is bussing diq now. Like more than I did before.

Can you explain this? Do you think I did this? The bolded part.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ljtrigirl posted:

No. You didn't. That's the point.

Like, if someone came at me saying "Dude. You're totally bussing X there" and I was good, I'd get paranoid that I was being set up as the next lynch after an evil flipped and would think that the person doing that knew that the person I was accusing was scum.

Okay. Well I didn't get paranoid and I didn't get that read. You are not the first person to accuse me of being scumbuddies with diqnol so you softly suggesting that I might be bussing diq is not setting off my scumdar. Just the part of your posts that I stated irked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Meinberg: Find scummy, would vote. I don't find taking on PRs to be inherently scummy in itself, but the way Meinberg played up and then subsequently abandoned his PR looks very scummy to me. My notes:
- Meinberg scummy for taking on this post restriction only to eventually abandon it. Having used PRs myself as town I can attest that they really aren't much work, the actual work of the game comes from being scum and having to pretend you know what's going on.
- First use of PR mechanic is empty fluff, not much of an attempt to say anyhting about the game beyond merk looks kinda bad.

He's barely posted period, so I don't like how he sorta blames his RP for taking up too much time. Again, it's doing things like reading the thread (and if you're scum, lying about it) that take up time in Mafia, not adding flowery language to your sentences. Forsooth, this scoundrel has misled you with his fine vocabulary for long enough!

I hadn't thought about this but it makes a lot of sense. Additionally, him abandoning it so quickly feels very self-conscious.

• Locked thread