Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Hey everyone, I am a person in this game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I'm fresh home from work and digging into the game. My first thought was "20 pages already?" Then I read the first five pages, and am still not actually into the game. I'm less impressed.

I will say Lumpen easily won the pre-game game, and am more impressed with him, instead of less.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I have a few first read impressions I'm going to write out before bed, tomorrow I'll do a second read when I'm more awake, and go from there.

My first read through of the merk/diqnol mess: merk comes out looking better than Diqnol, that big post is a couple decent points built into a wall, and feels blown out of proportion. Especially as it grew out of merks presentation of a point, rather than the point itself.

BK backing merk over diqnol when the whole things started with an (admittedly poor, but not scummy) case on BK is interesting. I'm not sure exactly what I think of it, but I am thinking about it.

Keane is clearly a powerful role, town aligned, and a ghost. I support his existence and hope he chooses to haunt our enemies and amuse our allies.

Also, I hope you like your avatar ljtrygirl. I had it sitting on my desktop waiting for the next time I was in a game where two people had the same avatar. Tremendous Taste almost got it in Chrono Trigger mafia when he and Asiina were potatoes, but someone else changed his avatar first.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

I'm not backing merk. Diqnol was being scummy and merk wasn't. Casing me isn't scummy.

Ok, you defended merk as not being scummy, just casing, and called out Diqnol. I agree with you, just remarked it was interesting. It stood out in my first read. As for "backing", it was perhaps a poor word choice.

I'm still not through a second, deeper read of everything that's happened, we had a minor emergency around the house (at least, I don't think toilets are supposed to leak water out of the tank onto the ground constantly) and I wasn't able to finish before work. Here's a list of the people I've been looking at the closest as I do my read;

Jedit, Diqnol, Kash, Rarity, QPQ, ljtrigirl

I'll try and respond to current events a little at work, then finish my reread when I get home.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

ljtrigirl posted:

wtf is my avatar from?

Rocco's modern life

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I'm going to start with Kashuno, because ljtrigirl was interested.

Kashuno posted:

What seems strange to me is the backpedaling is immediate, within the same minute. If the backpedaling had been over a longer time, it would make sense to have been a possible reconsideration. Instead, it appears there was a change of heart but the two posts so close timing-wise makes it feel like it was a conscious effort to garner some light town cred.

Have you never said something, then immediately realized it was stupid, or just something you shouldn't have said? I do that all the time (probably more than most people...)

Not to mention there's no town cred to gain in this community for being "less aggressive". ljtrigirl said she read a game (multiple games?) on our forums, so she should be aware of that. It's a null tell at best.

Kashuno posted:

As much as I hate the shitposting Keane is doing, I think Rarity's case is decent and EXAKT brought up a good point earlier about manufactured sincerity.

##unvote

##vote ljtrigirl

presented here for continuity.

Kashuno posted:

Why do I always get people thinking I'm scum d1 I suck at being town.

That said, I like the defense that LJ is putting up. It's not overtly hostile, but aggressive enough that I feel it might be coming from a town angle. ##unvote

This amuses me, considering that first quoted post, and further shows my point about SA aggression.

Kashuno posted:

It's d1, any content is good content. That second sentence is some weird thing to post without a vote.

This is missing the point, either deliberately or on purpose. Every post give us something, technically, but some posts are worth more than others. Nearly contentless "I like this" posts are not worth much. They should be called out when found. A town player would then elaborate why they liked it, or how it fit into their view of the game. A scum player would either ignore the pressure, or elaborate and give us connections or a scum slip.

tl;dr Votes are not the only way to apply pressure to another player, and content-light posts are deserving of pressure

[quote="Kashuno" post="449165395"
TMM had been called out by diqnol to make some d1 setup spec after that was already a topic of discussion, TMM had already mentioned he did huge setup spec before. Nothing in the post Rarity made seems to hint at it being a lynchable offense unless:

[insert subquote here]

Somehow implies that? Pretty weak argument IMO.

[/quote]

This I agree with, that was a weak arguement.

Then Kashuno mostly disappears.

I don't have a strong scum read on Kashuno, but I do plan to continue watching his play closely. He isn't my top vote, but I would vote to lynch him if things swung that way.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Mithross posted:

I don't have a strong scum read on Kashuno, but I do plan to continue watching his play closely. He isn't my top vote, but I would vote to lynch him if things swung that way.

Please don't misunderstand this. By don't have a strong scum read, I mean exactly that. I do have a solid suspicion of him. I wasn't trying to waffle, I was trying (poorly) to explain exactly where my thought process was at.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

QPQ isn't getting a full quote case (it's almost 3am guys, I want to sleep. I promised myself I'd get at least a couple reads down before sleep though)

QPQ's early vote and showing his work I don't care for. The TMM case was fairly scanty to have ridden it since you "just started reading the thread". Especially since as the day moves on you focus on his posts less and less, and starting calling out and pressuring other people. Is TMM still your top scum choice? If not, who is now, and why aren't you voting them? If so, who is your second choice? You cased Samfu pretty strongly there.

That said, I like that Samfu case, and see it as coming from a town place. I like QPQ for town. Still answer those questions though, I am interested.

I'm going to sleep now.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

Lumpen, can you show the post where she says she's read previous games on SA?

She talked about reading other games, but then amended it and said she'd just read some of merk's play in another game, not the whole game.

ljtrigirl posted:

Is there a way to go look at a game where he was good? Do you guys have game logs or anything like that?

then later

ljtrigirl posted:

Merk- Why didn't you do the same playstyle that you did in Lady Clarent's game?

Suggesting that she's read at least one other game, but clarified here:

ljtrigirl posted:

I've only read some of merk's posts in isolation from one game. So, no? It does explain the voting/unvoting on one guy a bunch though.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Sorry Vimes LJ only gave you 10

This is a suspicious post. No content, near deadline, and hasn't posted in hours, from an already lurky player.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kashuno posted:

It's a joke :(

I'll give more content when I get home. I will be around from then until deadline

I understand it's a joke, that wasn't what I was calling scummy. It was the fact that you made a post, one that shows you are watching the thread fairly closely, but haven't been posting otherwise.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Ghosts can't vote, silly.

There is this post, relevant to things that are happening

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

For a town that mislynched on Day 1 we've had almost no actual discussion of the candidate who got lynched. Can someone who voted for Gamer early (BottleKnight, FV, Kashuno looking at you guys) explain to me a day later why you thought he looked so scummy?

This was a good post, and I would also be interested in the answers. Just because GotG has a day 1 lynch meta, doesn't mean scum might not have used that knowledge.

In particular, Meinburg's vote (I know we can't really question him on it now), simply quoted one of Keane's ghost posts and voted. This one, to be specific:

CCKeane posted:

*performs an elaborate dance routine while playing a squeezebox accordian*

Gamer is definitely scum.

*continues the merry, ghostly jig*

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Also, I would honestly rather not drop the the pearl. It'd be pretty bad for scum to get their hands on it, and while dropping it would allow it to go to another town there's a very real chance that a scum player would snatch it up.

I'm wondering why it would be bad for scum to get it. It wouldn't surprise me if that was true, but nothing has actually said as much. Either Vimes knows something and hasn't shared it until this hint, or he's making up reasons/guessing. Combined with the joke vote/leave, and general lurkyness, and I'm not thrilled with him just now.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I need to apologize for being absent this game day, my vacation is coming up so my boss has been scheduling me extra to make up the loss of hours. I'm in the middle of an 11 day week with a couple doubles thrown in.

And no, I'm not being replaced.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

You think?

What does him not sharing what the pearl does say about his alignment?

Not sharing what it does is a null tell, there's no way to know if it should be shared or not, without knowing the information.

What I don't like was the offhand throw out of that information. Nothing Vimes has said before this indicated that he had any more information than we did about the pearl, but now it would be bad for scum to get their hands on it.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Lumpen posted:

What happens to the pearl if the person holding the pearl gets lynched? Does it drop and open for a grab when then thread opens?

Should we hold back from someone we think is scummy because we don't know what will happen to the pearl? Even if it does just drop, we have basically the same chance of picking it up again as scum does.

If anyone besides Ecco knows, it's Vimes. And he's apparently gone for the day.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

I don't have any problem with either mason picking the pearl up and think alignment-swapping speculation may be over-paranoid. Plus I think Ecco would give us dirty looks if we let the setup's namesake sit in the dirt.

We can put it in the corner and cover it with a sheet, Ecco would never know.

That said, I think giving it to a mason is the better choice. That way we don't have to worry about it being scooped up.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

##vote SirSamVimes

At this point I feel better about this vote than merk, who I've been on the fence on. I'll try to check in before deadline, but can't be sure if I'll be able to or not.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I think the better options is ##vote merk

His posting is not sincere and he is not scum hunting. From today

very next post

He is not interested in Keane's role alignment here and his "only voting keane" comment is posturing.

This is a solid point. I still believe Vimes to be a good lynch, but I think I will switch priority and vote merk.
##unvote
##vote merk

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

##grab coin

If this is rude, I'm sorry.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

It's possible he was given stuff in the night, as a confirmed town. I know I tried to. In fact, I'm pretty sure I know what the hammer is.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

The doctor probably pulled off a protect on N1.

I'm happy to grab the pearl. Drop it and if anyone else picks it up we're turboing them.

It's also possible that there was a harpoon given out night one as well, which would have been used night 2. That would also explain why there was no double kill the first night.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Is Rarity able to pick up the pearl now, or do we need to wait for Ecco to confirm the drop?

I would recommend Rarity do a grab now, and if ecco says it doesn't count, do it again later.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

ljtrigirl posted:

Yeah. I picked Kash because I figured you'd be killed last night.

I did the same thing! I felt like rarity was the more likely target. I guess scum did too.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

ljtrigirl posted:

This is a dumb question. Because I can't use them myself, except apparently by giving them to the NK and then picking them up immediately. I'm basically a gunsmith for VKs. I only have 1 harpoon left to give, but after that, I'm basically nothing.

My role works the same, although I give out the hammers.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Did you give out more than one harpoon?

She already claimed n1: TMM, n2: Kashuno (which she then picked up when kash was killed)

Unless someone else comes forward and claims they have a harpoon, I think a busdriver is the most likely explanation. Especially since Diqnol just barely missed being lynched, making him a prime target to try to bus into the night kill.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I forgot to say last night, I can use the coin instead of my night action, but have no idea what it does.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I'm going to be at PAX this weekend!

So I won't be working, and will be able to read and post in the thread, but I will be limited to phone posting for four days. Expect weird auto corrects, lovely proofreading, and a general lack of eloquence (even more so than usual).

Also, expect random bouts of giddiness as I see cool stuffs.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

CCKeane posted:

I cannot abide joy.

I understand. If I were a dead soul, hanging onto the land of the living by sheer force of unholy will, I would also flee from joy. I would have no other choice.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Hello everyone, I am alive, and caught up. I would have posted sooner, but my hotel eats wireless signal. Just... eats it.

I can confirm that diqnol can't pass his item during the day, or drop it. My coin is the same way.

Keane, as a ghost, what are your thoughts on magick?

As for reads, QPQ is starting to look scummy to me. I did not like his case on ljtrigirl, to me her posts looked logically consistant.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

HiipFire posted:

yeah we do pmom, its the guy who did this

Did we ever figure out what the coin cause I don't remember

I can use it at night on a player. I have no idea what using it will do. As far as I know holding it doesn't do anything, but Ecco game.

I would be ok with a Lumpen or samfu vote. I'm not as sold on diqnol. He may or may not be scum, I can't decide. I would vote him to prevent a no lynch, assuming I can find signal on my phone. I make no promises. PAX has too many things I like in places where cell phones don't work.

For now though, ##vote Samfucius

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

hey! skype with my friend ran long but as I suspected it would not last 2 hours. I am now here and around and available to process votes and executions :toot:

:d: Deadline is in exactly 46 minutes from this post.

Ok, that's closer than I thought.

##unvote
##vote Diqnol

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

TMM visited keane last night. He was the only one. That is what using the coin on keane told me.

Also, I give out the boards. I gave it to QPQ n1, but I chose kashuno n2, which is why I thought the hammer was the pick up for it. This makes me confused.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Oh, also I've returned from the frigid northland to the sweltering southlands, and thus have a computer and other such things. I will do a reread tomorrow night after work. For now

##vote TMM

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I am a roleblock-enabler (that's the name I was given for my role). I own, and give out each night, an assortment of carpentry materials. I targeted QPQ night 1, and Kashuno night 2, and gave them materials.

I do not know why Kashuno only dropped a hammer, that "has to be combined with boards". Nothing about my role suggests that you need a hammer to use the items I give out.

As for using the coin on Keane, I breadcrumbed it in advance:

Mithross posted:

Keane, as a ghost, what are your thoughts on magick?

I was told the coin was magickal, and that I could use it on another player, but not myself. And Diqnol's flip should help confirm that that was a breadcrumb, and not me being weird. He was an enchantress, and had a chest full of coins. Presumably he was the one who handed them out.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Lumpen posted:

##unvote TMM out of Rarity-range until I get answers.

ljtrigirl and Mithross are not being truthful, and seem to be out to set up TMM, QPQ somehow with the items they're handing out and picking up.

Something's not right here. I want QPQ to talk about the PM he got for the boards he passed me, and I want Mithross to expand on his role and powers.

You claim I'm not being truthful, but then when you quote me, you quote the post where I say something wasn't right and I was confused by it, and agree that something isn't right.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I gave kashuno a roleblock set, and then he died and dropped a hammer. I assumed that the roleblock I gave was simplified to hammer for the thread. Until today, when ljtrigirl said you needed boards with the hammer, I continued to assume that. The flavor I received when giving out items talked specifically about giving boards and nails, and I see now my assumption was wrong.

To be as clear as possible: I give out boards and nails, but I thought it included other carpentry supplies, and was simplified as hammer for the thread to pick up. I see today I was wrong, I just give out the supplies. My pm does say that I give out a one shot roleblock though. It doesn't say anything about my target needing a tool to use that roleblock.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

As for being a lurker, I was at PAX. Let's see you go to a four day con full of everything you enjoy in life, then play mafia instead. I'm sorry my mafia game suffered, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

How does my breadcrumb not make sense? Should I have come right out and said "I'm targeting Keane with this thing I found!" That is not a good plan with a busdriver. The coin was magickal, and I asked him about magick in a nonsensical way. Had diqnol not flipped, I admit I would have had no real way to show it as a breadcrumb, that is true. I got lucky there.

• Locked thread