Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I guuuuuueeeeeeeeeeessssssss I'm in.

As long as there is cool flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EccoRaven posted:

probably the one where you were the singer!

Mereaux ♂ x9
Mereaux ♀ x3

NO MORE FREE SPACES

All nationality is a social construct used by royalty and the bourgeois to distract the working class from their plight. One day all peasants, from Arrentia to Cazan, shall rise up in solidarity and smash their collective chains.

That said, I want to be a pretty Mereaux female :sparkles:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

guten morgen fräuleins. i am v tired

did anyone make a steven universe joke yet

because i have like eight stacked up here in a wobbly pile, ready to deploy when ready

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

oh wait, are we roleplaying? uuuuhhhhhhhh

Morning, my friends, why so dreary
Pierre is gone, but let's act clearly
Avenge his death and save our town
From forces evil and not compound
Our situation through thoughtless play
The Mob must be found, this I say!

CCKeane posted:

Everybody I have a very powerful role, please submit your name if you would like me to use this very powerful role on you thank you.

please throw me into the meat grinder that is your role.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pinterest Mom posted:

two posts above you :mad:

i am functionally illiterate. i am not even sure what i am quoting.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

QuoProQuid posted:

i am functionally illiterate. i am not even sure what i am quoting.

uhhhhh i mean

PMom I fear I cannot read
much like a child who is on Speed
Unconstrained and always vexing
My ignorance leaves others hexing

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TMMadman posted:

This is just a standard lurker poke:

I'd like to see some posts from Chaoslord, ANarc, QPQ and Jedit.

hello

thx for the lurker call out 22 hours into the first day of the game

it is v helpful content

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

just started reading through the thread.

here's a lil' preview

TMMadman posted:

Yes because as the top poster I have been not saying anything all game.

TMMadman posted:

I should jump on you for setup spec chat, but since I tend to do it as well, it'd be pretty hypocritical of me.

ERROR! ERROR! SCUM DETECTED!

##vote: TMM

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TMMadman posted:

After all the heat I took for massive setup spec chat in the Complete Bullshit game, I'm going to try not to do it so much.

Also, Keane is totally weirding me out. I don't know if he's scum, but I don't know what he's trying to do either.

tmm reminds me of jeb bush, in that he is really awkward and tripping over himself in his attempts to pre-empt people calling him scummy. i'm not entirely sure why a townie player is so concerned about appearances, and posts like these pang my gut hard. the keane callout strikes me as obvious to an absurd degree. keane is intentionally acting weird and acting like this is some grand new revelation is decidedly lazy.

Lumpen posted:

Ping ping ping. These posts seem insincere and overcareful. Wishywashiness on Keane strikes me as extraneous. Self-conscious playstyle change announcement blatantly in view of self-preservation shows a Scum mindset.
##Vote TMMadman

i agree with lumpen

lumpen is....

a good player

TMMadman posted:

I believe that Ecco usually favors longer early days and then shortens the deadlines for the later days.

TMMadman posted:

This is very true.

thank you mafia dad

TMMadman posted:

This all feels off to me. First, you straight up ask for the pearl and use a flavor claim as justification. Then you use a weird emotional appeal to seal the deal.

You certainly weren't Pierre's only friend and since most of us are fisherman, I'm sure we've all caught a shark or two in our lives.

I don't know if I trust SSV with the pearl, but I'm content to leave it in his hands for then moment. He can accept the responsibility and danger that goes along with it.

what the hell is this dumb post. i can't decide if it is a serious attack on gamer for a joke flavor post, or a joke post that you will immediately brush off the moment someone calls you out.

BottleKnight posted:

hmmmm weird!

but I would almost guarantee there being a multivoter based on Ecco specifically bringing back the weird vote rules. I don't believe she's used it her last few games iirc?

setup discussion is white noise and no one ever wins a game of "let's outguess the mod"

let's nip this thing in the bud

Lumpen posted:

Everyone that Ecco responded to in the thread is probably Town. The posts are taken as sincere and by engaging with them on that basis Ecco, as Mod who knows all the roles, implies that they are Town. I believe Ecco would respond in a ScumDoc for idle chatter to and chat idly about the game with Scum players, rather than posting in-thread.

So directly due to Ecco's post in-thread, my reads are skewed, (right or wrong) toward Town on Jedit, Kashuno, and Bottle Knight. In addition, Ecco directly criticized the vote on QPQ as wrong, and I dont think Ecco woukd do that if Jedit was actually voting a Scum, so QPQ tends to be cleared as well.

lol

Pinterest Mom posted:

i don't buy this reason to vote keane - it's a reach
##vote kashuno

i think pmom is being a little too hard on a new player. makes me edgy

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Rarity posted:

Solid post, Sam's pushing to create content in the early game without guiding opinions or attacking someone.

bad, white noise post.

Samfucius posted:

Content would be great.

"This post is good" is not content.

good response to bad white noise post.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

##unvote ##vote merk

Why unvote if it's a joke, why care if he presses you on a meaningless joke vote, why wouldn't you try to use your vote in a meaningful way when he started to interact with you over it and FINALLY why are you being personable in a game of mafia? I know the answer, friends, I do.

i overlooked this exchange initially, but going through again, merk's unvote is more than a little weird. i don't think its as massive a slip as you seem to be implying here, but it's definitely odd.

EXAKT Science posted:

Assuming just a scumteam, it's probably five scum. If there's an SK, then four. Of course, there's almost certainly ~weirdness~ happening, because Ecco game.

sttooooooooooooooppppppp

Rarity posted:

This is an overly serious reaction to a very jokey post from Hal. Later on she claims that she understands jokephase so why does she react the way she does here? It could be supporting a scum buddy as I already mentioned, it could be she knows the pearl is bad for town. That's all speculation though, my main issue with this post is that I don't see it as a towny way of thinking. If Sam's the scummiest then he should be lynched, pearl or no pearl. This reaction says that ltrigirl is judging the lynch target by a different metric.

Oh hey, it's the traditional Attacking Meinberg Case(TM). We all know Meinberg, we know what he's like on D1, he's such an easy target on D1 cause he's such an awkward poster. I think ljtrigirl's just looking for the easiest target here and doesn't realise that we understand him.

Already been mentioned but backpeddling

This is her making excuses for her playstyle, it's a very defensive move made out of desire to survive.

##vote ljtrigirl

watch, and be amazed, as the amazing rarity transforms molehills into mountains before your very eyes! witness, as a new player, who has no reason to be familiar with meinberg at all, is transformed into an uncivilized menace to society!

all this and more an be found at the pearl of port lourde! buy your tickets today!

If I do decide to case ljt later in this game please remember that Rarity's case makes her scummier not townier and that my case exists outside of hers tia

guisseppe is on the ball. leaning pro-town

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

okay, i am pretty much caught up right now. my leanings for scum atm are: TMM > Rarity > merk?

now i am going to bed so zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

((did i post enough to be a "top poster?" am i allowed to criticize TMM for white noise posts yet????))

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pinterest Mom posted:

sam is giving me ~vibes~, would vote

there's no sixth game leniency rule

oooopppps, for some reason I thought he was newer.

TMMadman posted:

While I obviously don't agree with your assessment of me, I certainly thank you for putting in the time and effort to make those posts.

The only issue I have with your posts is your seemingly extreme aversion to any sort of setup spec. I mean you even quote Exakt and respond with an overblown 'Stoooooop' at the most basic of setup chat: discussing how many possible bad guys town is facing. I understand that setup spec can be a great way for scum to hide, but it is what engages some people and as long as it doesn't go overboard then there isn't any real harm in it. On the other hand, trying to shut it down completely just doesn't sit well with me at all. As far as I can remember, all of the setup spec so far has been very light and very general.

Also, you call me a mafia dad in your posts (one of which doesn't even make sense because I'm clearly teasing Kash when it's read in context), but then turn around and do the same thing by telling people to stop the setup spec. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Set-up discussion requires no engagement with other players for little actual gain. It is a cancer that consumes the public's attention, a parasite that masquerades as something useful. Scum latch on to set-up discussion because it allows them to post without really posting at all. They seem like they are providing the town with useful information, but are, in reality, doing little more than malicious guesswork. I see no benefit in allowing such actions to continue and make no apologies for pushing against such discussion.

uhhhh... I mean *faaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrttttttt*

as for your second issue, I have to ask: a) is it really clear that you are teasing kash; b) is pushing against setup chat in anyway mafia dad behavior? my understanding is that mafia dadding is posting for the sole purpose of mentoring new players via easily understood info; c) even if it was mafia dadding, how do my sins exonerate you of your failings

Meinberg posted:

The young merchant spends much of the morning examining documents, peering over documents in an attempt to try and suss out the economic connections that link those in the town together. For such a small, wholely provincial place, the webs of duty and debt are thick and complicated, nesting patterns within themselves, forming chaotic relationships. The task was hard and the sound of argument proved too much of a distraction for his tasks. He pulled himself from his desk and emerged out into the light, there seeing GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE and merk and their clash of words. "I think that merk may be acting overly aggressively, and I'm more than willing to take GUISSEPPE at face value. In our conversations in the past, we've come to gain a bit of an understanding, and this seems in keeping with their character."

The rest of the gathered rabble proved too much for the young man, but he attempted to understand things as well as he could. Ultimately, it was CCKeane's ghostly jester act that made him speak up again. "What the devil is this? This seems most inappropriate."

heeeeeey meinberg, you mentioned finding keane' play suspicious. would you do me the kindness of explaining why you think he is acting as he is?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Kashuno posted:

My d1 posting is pretty bad I have a hard time making a good strong case on d1 reads but :justpost:

what

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Kashuno posted:

Can anyone who's played with Keane before please explain to me a world where his posting is good for town or clears him from being scum at all?

keane does this a lot. i get the sense he is fishing for reactions. its not a tell

ljtrigirl posted:

Is there a reason that QPQ is using kid gloves with Meinberg? Do they have some weird meta that I am unaware of?

i treat all of god's children equally :angel:

do you find that suspicious? if so, why?

ljtrigirl posted:

##unvote
##Vote Pintrest Mom

Is there somewhere I can go to look at tallies?

why?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Samfucious is hemming and hawwing and struggling to appear engaged in a very scummy way.

New players are put off by veterans with goofy posting styles.

QPQ gives me bad vibes.

why?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Why Merk? You don't reference him at all in your effort posts outside of an offhand comment of someone unvoting him and that still wasn't directed to Merk specifically.

after being prompted by diqnol, i was thrown off my merk's unvote and got a general negative vibe about him. his latest posting hasn't given me any such concerns, so it may have been an overstatement on my part

(though tbf i did end my statement with a ?)

Gamerofthegame posted:

I can see the argument for TMM, but on the flipside in the same breathe it looks like he's waiting for content to jump on. Instead of just being passive he's trying to get people to post and get poo poo going, constantly referencing post counts like a tosser to criticize people into :justpost:

Which isn't really unusual D1, tbh.

TMM please share your reads to the class with what content you have!!!

i am not sure i understand you here. do you see the game as being in need of resuscitation? what behavior necessitates "constantly referencing post counts," especially on d1 of a long ecco game?

your logic here reads like spin

merk posted:

Let's discuss Diqnol for a moment. If you're not voting him, why not? What is your read on him? I feel like he's not posting today to try to see if the heat on him goes away.

##unvote; ##vote Diqnol

his initial attack on you was a little jarring compared to what i remember of his content, but when i actually read what he was saying i could see his point. reading his posts together and devoid of context, i dont see anything particularly bad. he is acting antagonistic, but i think that might just be d1 behavior.

i am going to go reread sam's post history, because he's been mentioned several times but i've glazed over his content.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ljtrigirl posted:

I feel grounded by my evil reads on Lumpen and Pinterest Mom. Like, I felt a little bobby in this game earlier, but I feel better now.

why do you feel this way

unfortunately, i am a poor miserable creature and could find no justification in your post history for these reads

can you please illuminate me?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Your posts all accuse them of being "possible evils" but provide no explanation for that read. Until your last quoted post, you had no justification for why you thought either party was suspicious.

So, I ask again, what content do you see as suspicious? Is there something tangible you can point to in Lumpen's content, as you technically answered for PMom, that explains your read?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Oh, I guess that's my mistake then.

How embarrassing!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Reading through Sam's post history in isolation before getting to the thread itself:

I do not get the sense that Sam is searching for scum, or that his behavior is in anyway pro-town. My qualms with his activity begins early D1, in which his first real actions are to jump on diqnol (1) for reasons unknown and post about posting content (2), (3). When he is called out on this behavior, Sam seems to shift tactics and "dredges up" a single post from Rarity to disagree on tactics (5) I find this odd behavior. While Rarity has made one or two posts which I view as genuinely suspicious, Sam picks on a post that appears almost innocuous. Even more inexplicable is how this disagreement over tactics rapidly snowball into Sam accusing Rarity of excusing herself from the lynch (6) which: A.) does not appear to be her intent; B.) is a ludicrous strategy for scum to take at this phase in the game; C.) would be entirely ignored by the town even if used.

Sam's casing makes me more wary about my suspicions on Rarity. It looks like Sam picked a suspect and found evidence to support his conclusions rather than the other way around and hedges his bets should his case go sour (7). I find myself disagreeing with a case that I should be inclined to support.

I am not putting much weight into his last few posts related to diqnol, as they read as frustration at diqnol's Trump-esque cockiness.

so those are my thoughts yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TMMadman posted:

This is pretty much spot on about me. I tend to post a lot of crap on D1 (I try to focus and not post as much poo poo after D1) because I'm a messenger and spend the majority of my day in my car alone with my phone. So I tend to treat D1 as a time to shoot the poo poo and just try to get people to post in the thread, even if it doesn't really have to do with the game.

And for clarification, while my lurker poke was maybe a bit premature, I stand behind it. I just wanted those people to come in and make a post or two. I didn't care that chaos or anarc came in and just made and post about being busy, I was just happy to see something from them. I'm happy QPQ came in and made some effort posts even though he ended up voting for me.

Also the line about being a posting superstar was meant to be a joke and I thought it should have been clear because I know I've posted plenty of crap already. Next time I'll just add a :v: to make it obvious that I'm not taking myself seriously.

And Gamer, since you asked nicely I will indeed give you some reads, but I'll have to do it later tonight when I'm on my computer. Is that reasonable?

uuugggghhhhhhh i hate that i like this post

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I think Gamer is scum. There is a serious lack of substance to his posting.

Firstly he replies to a couple of players who talk about merk, but I dont see what his purpose is in those responses. Is it because he believes merk is town? Does he think the players he is responding to are scum? It seems more like buddying up to merk than anything else.

His posting with TMM is a lot more suspicious. He has a totally hedgy post about TMM, then votes for TMM (in what I think is a joke vote?? I honestly can't even tell)

I dont see how he is committed to that vote on TMM at all. Lastly his defence of that vote, when called out by Keane makes no sense at all to me.

What action does he think isn't scummy? Why is he voting TMM?

##unvote
##vote Gamer

good case and i would be willing to vote gamer on its basis. the joke vote you quote is p bad, like a robot desperately trying to appear human

"HELLO FELLOW TOWNIE, BEEP BOOP, LET US ENGAGE IN LIGHT-HEARTED HUMAN INTERACTION BEEP BOOP. HAHA"

this might be a personal thing, but i probably wouldnt drop a joke post on someone immediately after defending them.

to put on my lumpen hat for a second, i like bottleknight and valkyrie better for posting similar cases within minutes of each other. dont think scum would do that.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

hi guys, i am still catching up and think i may have read diqnol wrong

Did I exert extra effort because of what I said before? Yeah, I suppose that's true. I also think everything I said there is correct and that your BK case and subsequent turn on me after I called it bad portray a scum mind.

don;t like this post. #walkback, #unnecessary_explanation

Question to all of you: how can one "be scummy" if one is not scum? Did you mean to say "seemed scummy" when you said this or are you being hyperbolic?

Semantics are often important when considering someone's intent. I'm glad this point was lost on you.

hella dumb and distracting,

Sometimes it isn't what a person says but how they say it. Look at the way Sam is saying he's suspicious of us; he falls over himself to say he would be willing to vote for me while expressing suspicion of another. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having two suspicions. He was broadcasting it.

hyperbolic and hypocritical

Ready to admit your case on BK is bad yet?

redirecting

There's this cool technique a person can do where they make a lot of noise on d1 and draw a lot of attention and votes to themselves and by doing so they have the ability to ignore a lot of d1's posts and still end up getting decent reads well thats my story bye

passive aggressive guilting

Oh, well, actually, it is. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

I'm going to do a report card for everyone in this thread if someone will remind me. On it will be how many times someone was right and how many times they were wrong, culminating in a letter grade. Keane will doubtlessly get a B-.

what is the point of this post

Lumpen, I would like you to concisely state why you find me to be scum. Use as few words as possible and bring to light the content you dislike and exactly why rather than speaking in generalities. This may be a challenge.

flailing, deliberately trying to provoke a fight

If it helps right before I made the going down post I had gotten in a really bad fight with someone close to me and I was really loving angry in general, so if anything, it was the realest thing I've posted in this thread. But of course you have no reason to believe that until the game is over.

I was voting for merk before he was voting for me. My case explains my issues with merk. The theory you're pushing that I'm scared of merk is hilarious. I once kept merk alive for an entire game as scum just to prove I could. I did, in fact, win that game and survived to the end.

I always respond to posts about me. Ask anyone.

You're making these terrible assumptions and acting as though they are fact without any basis in reality, I feel, but I have seen you make such arguments on both sides of the pond. The fact is that I am trying to feel you out still. Gun to my head? Scum.

dont care. post still reads bad

merk, i remember you once said that you would not stop voting me until you died and I can't remember if you were town or scum that game. Do you remember? Don't lie, please.

what is this even???????? what are you doing?

It's a crime to be unsure? You asked me directly so it'd be lovely to lie and say I'm sure when I'm not.

yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh... no.

##unvote

##vote: Diq

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

It's definitely not a meltdown. I don't think you know what a meltdown is. I'm sitting here with a smirk on my face.

its definitely a meltdown lightly drizzled in smugness

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

This is a horribly dumb post, are you sure you aren't just tired and extra dopey?

i dont think so!

can you tell me why its dumb diqnol?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i dont really need merk's posts when every single post after your big merk case (1) is you spinning your wheels. your posting doesn't lead anywhere and it provides no deeper understanding of the game. all i get in the latter half of your posts is a sense of blind aggression. its frustrating to read because there's few reads or actual substance to them. i dont feel a need to respond to your posts with any more than one or two words because that is all they deserve.

you are a distraction. i was willing to to go to bat for you early on, but you've failed to follow up.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

QuoProQuid posted:

i dont really need merk's posts when every single post after your big merk case (1) is you spinning your wheels. your posting doesn't lead anywhere and it provides no deeper understanding of the game. all i get in the latter half of your posts is a sense of blind aggression. its frustrating to read because there's few reads or actual substance to them. i dont feel a need to respond to your posts with any more than one or two words because that is all they deserve.

you are a distraction. i was willing to to go to bat for you early on, but you've failed to follow up.

MAFIA EDIT: To be more articulate for a moment, it reads like you have run out of steam. You blew your load casing merk and are now struggling to find additional reads to supplement it. In lieu of content, you've resorted to a staggering amount of insults. I guess some of these could be construed as reads but, like I said, they don't go anywhere and there is no clear direction to them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

QuoProQuid posted:

MAFIA EDIT: To be more articulate for a moment, it reads like you have run out of steam. You blew your load casing merk and are now struggling to find additional reads to supplement it. In lieu of content, you've resorted to a staggering amount of insults. I guess some of these could be construed as reads but, like I said, they don't go anywhere and there is no clear direction to them.

MAFIA EDIT x2: And in my personal experience, I've found that scum are often far more willing to get nasty than town as it is a good way to deflect attention. I could be misremembering your post style, but I don't remember you acting this aggressively in the past. Your general attitude leaves me with a very negative ~~~vibe~~~~, especially when read in one big sequence.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I am essentially caught up right now. As the deadline is mostly floating and we have some flexibility with regards to the lynch, I'll go back and reread Gamer's posts in isolation. I liked the BottleKnight case against him earlier today, but didn't have the time or energy to review this content much myself.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at TMM? I view his most recent content as a significant improvement over what I saw earlier today, but I still have vaguely bad feelings about him. I would not pursue him for the lynch, but think he deserves a second look.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

merk posted:

I don't think Diq believes I'm scum. I'm convinced he doesn't believe it. Whether he's holding onto this case out of pride or because he's scum is still unknown. I can't figure that out.

In other news, I'm a homeowner!

Congratulations!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

It's not that you're wrong about my negativity, but you are absolutely wrong about me ever being nice. I go on and off with being kind to people in mafia games but I'm generally very aggressive and utilize emotions to determine intent. I definitely have hunted and made reads since my big merk post but that's not to say that I've made hunting my top priority as merk seems convincingly scum to me. I hunt still because there's always the possibility one is wrong in these games and so it'd be a waste of time to hang onto one case to the exclusion of all else. If you think I'm scum, fine, but I'd like you to better explain why. Even these mafia edits do little to explain why you feel I'm scum. They read far more like you're disappointed in what I've brought to the table (fair) and that you dislike how abrasive I am (fair).

I guess my biggest issue right now is the lack of substance in your most recent posts. You mention that you use emotion to determine intent, but having just gone through the last ten pages, I don't see any of that. Yes, you respond to a lot of people, but you don't really pursue any of these threads, nor does there appear to be any fruits to your labor. You might as well have posted just as I did above, with one or two words insulting the person, and left it at that. There is less "searching for intent" and more posturing, which I typically associate with scum who want to look like they are doing something without actually doing anything.

It is possible that I overreacted to your recent contribution (and fully admit that I am probably misremembering your meta). For several pages, you are almost every other post and it gets extremely tiring reading these in rapid succession. I doubt, however, that my feelings are completely unfounded. There is something generally off about your content. It might be pride, as merk mentions above, but I doubt that. It reads as scummy behavior and I would consider you a viable lynch candidate. I will say that these most recent posts you have made toward me make me feel better, but you are still a player I would pursue.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

It's been a while since I've seen Lumpen around and do enjoy playing with him.

No regrets.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Reflections on Gamer: Gamer is yet another player that is somewhat active but lacks much to justify his post count. What sticks out to me is just how much white noise he has, whether that be set-up speculation (1), Mafia Dadding (2), (3), or just making ill-timed jokes (4). Given how weak he starts off, I am surprised that he managed to sneak by for so long undetected. It is not until page 18 (!) until someone calls him out on his shenanigans, which itself is of some interest for me (5). One would expect scum to jump on such an easy target.

Moving onto his actual content, I am struck again by the oddness of his defense of MMT and vote on him (6), (7). While the latter post is clearly framed as a joke, I cannot see a town player putting a player he just rescued into jeopardy for a laugh. It's counter-intuitive and bizarre behavior, made worse by his unvote after pressure is put onto him (8). I won't go into much detail about the defense itself, except that I find it sorely lacking. Gamer never provides a reason why he thinks MMT's call for posting is necessary and seems content leaving the issue ambiguous despite my questions.

When he is finally forced to make a case, Gamer turns to Diqnol, (8) who at this point has already been the subject of several votes. The case is weak, at best, and reads as fabricated at worst. He doesn't keep pressure up on Diqnol or follow his suspicions in any real way and instead opts to defend himself (9), (10). I don't like either of these posts and it tells me that his desire for self-preservation is stronger than his desire to find scum.

Overall, I would consider Gamer a very real threat. Probably moreso than I currently see Diqnol.

##unvote while I mull things over for a moment.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Before I go mull, who is going to be here for the next few hours? As previously mentioned, we aren't under immediate threat of deadline, but I dislike keeping matters unresolved while the Sword of Damocles hangs perilously over our heads.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Rarity posted:

Gamer, I reckon that you're not scum, you're just bad at mafia.

Please be better at mafia.

Rarity, would you do me the immense kindness of explaining your feelings on Gamer, particular why you think he is "not scum [just] bad at mafia?" It has been a while since you made this post, but based on your response to BottleKnight more recently (1), I get the sense you still feel this way.

How do you feel about his "white noise posting" that he relied on for the early part of the game, and how do you view his case on Diqnol. For myself, it reads as a very weak contribution that seems more motivated by convenience than actual feeling.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

merk posted:

Don't really know. Is there a case that I can read?

Based on the case above, what do you think of Gamer?

Also, can you remind me of your thoughts on MMT? My quick scan through your post history didn't pick up anything.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I am an elaborate one-sided conversation.

Diqnol, I assume you are still here. What do you think of the following players:
  • Rarity;
  • Hal;
  • Gamer;
  • MMT.

Your thoughts on these players (as well as anyone else really) are greatly appreciated.

merk posted:

I didn't read the gamer case yet beyond a glance. There's one post of his I saw that I didn't like.

Didn't remember off the top of my head that MMT was even in the game.

With that, I'm going to enjoy my new home with my wife and a bottle of bubbly. Adieu.

Au revoir, mon ami.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Sorry, I was out but I'm here now. Catching up.

I have a totally different read of Diqnol here. To me this is about as nice as he's ever been, and I think he sincerely believes his case on Merk. There is an element of vindictiveness that Diqnol has as scum that I don't think he is showing in this game

Hm. Maybe I need to reread. I definitely got a sense of spite and vindictiveness when reading his posts on pages 21-23. His more recent content is much nicer, but I distinctly remember a very nasty string of posts that just rubbed me the wrong way.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa

A whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Merk gamer is scum. You can trust me. I'm dead.

Can you elaborate your feelings on this please?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

I thought you were supposed to be David Foster Wallace, not Chuck Palahniuk!

I am Jack's growing loss of identity.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

But I asked so nicely!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

BottleKnight posted:

I am getting confused. When you say MMT you mean TMM right? We should probably just call him Madman.

Yes, my mistake. I always forget which way the letters go. MMT, TMM, MTM. Really, it is all the same to me.

Still not done re-reading. Page 20 now.

Rarity - Seems town to me. Comes in with walls of text and prods people and seems to generate decent discussions. Agrees with me though, my greatest weakness.

Hal - Reads very disengaged, could go either way with him. You don't usually get a good idea of what Hal is up to until the second or third game day. I can say he seems more like a town player to me itt, though, so he's a bad vote for today.

Gamer - He's scum. His posts all read to me as something manufactured and his read on me feels like its founded on nothing. He made a long, ranty and vitriolic post when he plopped his vote down on me and, like your recent vote on me, it didn't seem like a very good reason to vote for someone at all. He's been riding that vote ever since and hasn't seemed to give one poo poo about hunting for scum.

MMT - Murmur twin is in this game? I didn't see a single post!

Thank you for this.

I don't think I'll vote Diqnol today. There are too many doubts forming in my head.

Let's try ##vote: Gamer instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

QuoProQuid posted:

Yes, my mistake. I always forget which way the letters go. MMT, TMM, MTM. Really, it is all the same to me.

Thank you for this.

I don't think I'll vote Diqnol today. There are too many doubts forming in my head.

Let's try ##vote: Gamer instead.

MAFIA EDIT: My feelings on the players listed:

Rarity - Suspicious. Several posts from her look impressive, but fall apart upon closer inspection. Disagree with her on several points.

Hal - Pinged my gut at one point, but I largely agree that he could go either way. Lurky and unthreatening for the time being.

Gamer - See above post

TMM - Stood out to me early in the game as a suspicious character but has since faded a bit. I am not sure whether this sense is more because he is less active or because his most recent posting has seemed much more genuine. His lurker callout, in particular, read as ingenuine and pointless.

• Locked thread