Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Kimsemus posted:

The animations are still a little rough.

Or basically nonexistent.

Which is a word that still applies to a lot of this game, unfortunately.

it is unfortunate because camelot deserves a good remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Blazing Zero posted:

it is unfortunate because camelot deserves a good remake

:agreed:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Orv posted:

What is up with pre-alpha animations?

Estimated delivery of Beta 2 Access: June 2015.

the problem is being in pre-alpha 15 months after you were supposed to be in beta two

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

extra stout posted:

the problem is being in pre-alpha 15 months after you were supposed to be in beta two

excuse me sir the Star Citizen forum is that way ====> :lesnick:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

extra stout posted:

As a programmer, here's a software development secret: Whenever a dev tells you an estimated release date that isn't something incredibly routine, add 50% extra time to whatever they say, and don't expect it before that. Underestimating development time is like a running joke in the industry.

That said this game is still doing poorly even under that adjusted estimate. That's a sign of actual mismanagement, not just the normal time bloat.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
As I was an early backer of CU, I kind of neglected any other MMO news for other games.
Around which period did the Crowfall start of development happen? Because from the very little I know they work with a comparable budget and from the video's I've seen they are leaps ahead.

So now I have two games that hold my attention until CU's eventual release :
-Crowfall
-Lost Ark (or Lineage Eternal, whichever of these two appears to be the "better" game and gets released in the West)

Ps : I will be playing on Uthgard when official launch happens and I'm currently playing EQ1 for gently caress's sake. Why can't I have fun in "modern" MMO's? I must be getting old.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

How is this not out yet? I thought there was no and/or limited pve content and it's all pvp? The gently caress?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Evernoob posted:

As I was an early backer of CU, I kind of neglected any other MMO news for other games.
Around which period did the Crowfall start of development happen? Because from the very little I know they work with a comparable budget and from the video's I've seen they are leaps ahead.

So now I have two games that hold my attention until CU's eventual release :
-Crowfall
-Lost Ark (or Lineage Eternal, whichever of these two appears to be the "better" game and gets released in the West)

Ps : I will be playing on Uthgard when official launch happens and I'm currently playing EQ1 for gently caress's sake. Why can't I have fun in "modern" MMO's? I must be getting old.

Crowfall launched their kickstarter campaign march of last year i believe. And yes, they are much further ahead in a little over a year than CU is after like... four?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
As someone that never played Shadowbane/Dark Age of Camelot I'm not really clear on what makes this and Crowfall different other than the aesthetic and persistence rather than doing "campaigns" anyways so at least one of them looks like it'll be playable in the next year.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Dark Age was three realms battling each other, Shadowbane was completely free for all. CU is basically the same ruleset as dark age of camelot, Crowfall has the resetting campaigns and the original ruleset is going to match shadowbane i believe.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pavlov posted:

As a programmer, here's a software development secret: Whenever a dev tells you an estimated release date that isn't something incredibly routine, add 50% extra time to whatever they say, and don't expect it before that. Underestimating development time is like a running joke in the industry.

That said this game is still doing poorly even under that adjusted estimate. That's a sign of actual mismanagement, not just the normal time bloat.

I've seen this posted before, so essentially what you did was make sure we all know you're a programmer and then agree I am right. As a consumer: Add that 50 percent extra to your guess you give me when you're asking for cash. It's like a cop telling you the ticket will only be 30 dollars then acting shocked... I thought everyone knew about the 100 dollar state surcharge??? Oh well, glad you didn't go to court! Thanks for the 130 :)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
What?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

If you agree the game is way behind schedule, what was your post intended to do? If the devs themselves posted it, I would once again ask: If this is a known problem in game development, why not just set the estimated release date to January 2017 when typing up the kickstarter?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

extra stout posted:

If you agree the game is way behind schedule, what was your post intended to do? If the devs themselves posted it, I would once again ask: If this is a known problem in game development, why not just set the estimated release date to January 2017 when typing up the kickstarter?

Because then they couldn't get as many suckers.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

extra stout posted:

Agreeing with you. It's not an excuse for devs, it's a warning to people listening to them. Also that this game's devs happen to be worse at something the industry is already bad at.

But if you really want to know why this happens, there's a few reasons. One is that a large part of making software is dealing with unexpected complications. When a dev gives an estimate, they're usually only accounting for the things they know have to be done for a project. But things almost always go wrong somewhere in software development. Not enough people are used to budgeting time and expenses for unexpected difficulties though. With some projects, you're not even certain of everything that needs to be included in your finished work, because the logic and interactions get complex enough that nobody's going to fully understand it until they've spent days and weeks arranging all the pieces. That's why you'll sometimes see games that go through massive mechanical changes late into development. The way all those mechanics work together as a whole wasn't obvious until they had them all laid out in front of them.

Also pretty much what malhavok said. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Especially with kickstarters, where you're essentially selling promises to people.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pavlov posted:

Agreeing with you. It's not an excuse for devs, it's a warning to people listening to them. Also that this game's devs happen to be worse at something the industry is already bad at.

But if you really want to know why this happens, there's a few reasons. One is that a large part of making software is dealing with unexpected complications. When a dev gives an estimate, they're usually only accounting for the things they know have to be done for a project. But things almost always go wrong somewhere in software development. Not enough people are used to budgeting time and expenses for unexpected difficulties though. With some projects, you're not even certain of everything that needs to be included in your finished work, because the logic and interactions get complex enough that nobody's going to fully understand it until they've spent days and weeks arranging all the pieces. That's why you'll sometimes see games that go through massive mechanical changes late into development. The way all those mechanics work together as a whole wasn't obvious until they had them all laid out in front of them.

Also pretty much what malhavok said. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Especially with kickstarters, where you're essentially selling promises to people.

I agree with you, I'm a big sweaty idiot and didn't mean to overreact to your other post, also despite how terribly behind this game is, how awful the development and openness with the donors has been, I still feel this game at least has the potential to end up being something you really dive into and enjoy, I just wish it wasn't going to be in beta state still in 2017. The fact that Shroud of The Avatar doesn't offer refunds but Camelot does kind of says it all for me. The game I am 100 percent sure I regret giving even 30 bucks to knows it can't afford refunds, Camelot knows that even if they lose all of the most impatient donors they still have a shot at a success ultimately. Especially when you consider the risk of refunding on a game that's still got a coin toss chance of being playable, those people then might end up coming back, spending 50$ or whatever and 15$ a month with no discounts and no perks.

edit

Do we have any posters with connections to the team? Forums are never effective ways of getting at devs of big or even medium games, but I'd really like to know if they would at least have a public conversation about cutting the launch goals of this game to be whatever the absolute minimum number of classes and races were promised for launch. Keep all the lore and work for the other ones, just set it for literally 2018/2019 almost no one would prefer to wait longer for the 39th class or the 19th race when most of us will play two of them.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 15, 2016

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
This was my first kickstarter venture, and I have luckily learned the error of kickstarter MMOs because of it. I have the first internal testing tier, and have spent less than an hour actually logged in, or reading their awful forums. The only thing I really remember from back then was the outrage in the community over allowing "Backers" to support the project, because it upset the "Founders" who were the true believers.

I'm still looking forward for it to release one day, maybe. I might even log in, but only if they keep the run animations in the video on the last page :getin:

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

extra stout posted:

I agree with you, I'm a big sweaty idiot and didn't mean to overreact to your other post, also despite how terribly behind this game is, how awful the development and openness with the donors has been, I still feel this game at least has the potential to end up being something you really dive into and enjoy, I just wish it wasn't going to be in beta state still in 2017. The fact that Shroud of The Avatar doesn't offer refunds but Camelot does kind of says it all for me. The game I am 100 percent sure I regret giving even 30 bucks to knows it can't afford refunds, Camelot knows that even if they lose all of the most impatient donors they still have a shot at a success ultimately. Especially when you consider the risk of refunding on a game that's still got a coin toss chance of being playable, those people then might end up coming back, spending 50$ or whatever and 15$ a month with no discounts and no perks.

edit

Do we have any posters with connections to the team? Forums are never effective ways of getting at devs of big or even medium games, but I'd really like to know if they would at least have a public conversation about cutting the launch goals of this game to be whatever the absolute minimum number of classes and races were promised for launch. Keep all the lore and work for the other ones, just set it for literally 2018/2019 almost no one would prefer to wait longer for the 39th class or the 19th race when most of us will play two of them.

I have friends who are connected to the devs, but I have been avoiding CU like the plague hoping it turns into something good unlike certain other well known kickstarter started games.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure what's going on with this game atm, or what their new timetable is.

I'll keep watching it for information is scarce. :iiam:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

I'm not sure what's going on with this game atm, or what their new timetable is.

I'll keep watching it for information is scarce. :iiam:

Scarce?
They have been spamming my mailbox with daily Youtube updates on their channel.
(I haven't watched a single one yet)

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Evernoob posted:

Scarce?
They have been spamming my mailbox with daily Youtube updates on their channel.
(I haven't watched a single one yet)

It's all kind of the same poo poo, not new info though

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I'm guessing they pissed their money away and development has slowed to a crawl. Even Pantheon looks further along than this lol

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 18, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Seriously, how long does it take to make an mmo with no pve?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, optimistically speaking they're making an engine that can finally handle the long promise of HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE IN A FIGHT that MMOs have been pitching for a while, without every client crashing to its knees. That takes a while, even for a large studio that would take a while.

Realistically, that's probably not entirely possible, sooooooooooooooo they're probably hosed.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 18, 2016

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
... and all I asked for was DAoC2 with some updated graphics, UI and modern QoL improvements...

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
DAoC live did a very good job at scratching the itch a few months back. If you haven't in awhile, you can stay in bgs 100% of the time and quite a few brackets are active, no real grind required. The new owners also are forward about allowing autohotkey scripts, and their interest for allowing contextual keybinds for abilities a default feature hopefully in the future.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
From what I can see on youtube and their website the game looks kind of empty. There are people running around grassy fields and forests with a hundred identical trees and thats about it. $3-4m isn't much to build an mmo, thats just about enough to hire 6 artists, 6 programmers and a few designers paying them $70k a year for a few years.

The CUBE standalone castle builder does like kind of cool though, so maybe that can be salvaged even if the main game doesnt do too well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHaXdWvQHEg

Although the devs talk about how cool a castle you could make to defend, I think realistically designs would be about creating a sequence of tight chokepoints, with as many polygons and special effects emitting objects as possible to lag people who go near them, with elevated platforms all around that the defenders can shoot people from as they try and make their way through it. You can answer the question, what would map design be like in a game if it was designed by the defending team to be as stacked as possible in their favor?

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 21, 2016

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Applebee123 posted:

Although the devs talk about how cool a castle you could make to defend, I think realistically designs would be about creating a sequence of tight chokepoints, with as many polygons and special effects emitting objects as possible to lag people who go near them, with elevated platforms all around that the defenders can shoot people from as they try and make their way through it. You can answer the question, what would map design be like in a game if it was designed by the defending team to be as stacked as possible in their favor?

Well one of the the main reasons they are starting their engine from scratch is just to avoid getting any sort of lag/screenlag in massive battles. A long while ago they performed a test where they had a couple of thousand bots running around in an area not much bigger than a football field and the FPS was still okay.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I wonder if without the CUBE stuff if they'd have released the game by now. I know it is not that simple but as a gamer who loved Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot who just wants to play modern versions, I'm not happy that trying to capture the Minecraft zeitgeist with CUBE and EQ Landmark is delaying and/or killing the games I want.

I love the races, art and class ideas, so hopefully they can pull this game together before everyone moves on to VR or something.

Migertantix
Jul 15, 2003

bagrada posted:

I love the races, art and class ideas, so hopefully they can pull this game together before everyone moves on to VR or something.
Even the buttwing race? I'm on board with everything but that.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Migertantix posted:

Even the buttwing race? I'm on board with everything but that.

Fair enough. I should have specified the Tuatha and Vikings. I could do without the cait sith too.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Another problem will be with pretty princess dress-up. They have to model for over a dozen different body types while also keeping some semblance of uniqueness for each faction. That was a lot easier 14 years ago with less polygons to work with and half the races being human anyway, and I recall hardly having anything fashionable besides dyes and the class epic armor, which was not dyeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
They also want item visual to be determined by crafting rolls and skill and stuff like that, so, welp.

• Locked thread