Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Still, your initial complaint was "who's going to play if they might lose".

There's something to be said for variety. Some people aren't married to dota and like to play the field. The game doesn't need millions of people. Only enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kylra posted:

Still, your initial complaint was "who's going to play if they might lose".

Warhammer's Destruction side would like to have a word with you.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
If it's like the pirates of the burning sea blackbeard server situation, it was more like "guaranteed to lose". Which means they quit.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Dibs on fir bog, lf another fir bog to connect with.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to use the ability customization to tweak my abilities to match whatever overpowered flavor of the month build there is

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kylra posted:

You have to be online for the entirety of the 60m DOTA game so I don't think your comparison is very apt. Plus a lot of people play DOTA, so why DO so many hundreds of thousands to millions play a game for 60m that they might lose? http://steamcharts.com/app/570 It's probably because if you want to play a pvp game, you have to accept that you have a chance at losing or else your opponents are simply not going to play. They aren't AI driven demons like in Diablo.

On another note, are they also resetting the game every 6 months or something? I thought that was Crowfall's gimmick.

Character progress will not reset -- guild holdings won't reset as far as I know, but the "war" will reset the map and continent location and holdings every week or so, similar to Blizzard's reset/maintenance cycle.

Tenzarin posted:

How to play a Mythic MMO:
1. Play a stealther first.
2. After the 3 months and half of the games population is gone from bugs and other issues, reroll to the most op class.
3. Rule from your skull throne of skill for playing the best class.

A PvP MMO let alone a skill based PvP MMO cannot exist in the ranks of MMOs anymore. DAOC worked because the choice was between Everquest(no pvp, old) and UO(no pvp, 2d, old). People don't like to lose a 60m DOTA game or even a 20m LOL game. Why would anyone play a game for 6 months with a chance that they lose.

No. :frogout:

You don't lose character progression and they're attempting to create a system that discourages what happened between factions in WAR.

Also by nature, three faction systems ALWAYS work better than two faction systems in PVP games. Planetside 1's flow of battle, and GW2 is a good example of why this is, and why WAR wasn't.

futile
May 18, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

A PvP MMO let alone a skill based PvP MMO cannot exist in the ranks of MMOs anymore. DAOC worked because the choice was between Everquest(no pvp, old) and UO(no pvp, 2d, old). People don't like to lose a 60m DOTA game or even a 20m LOL game. Why would anyone play a game for 6 months with a chance that they lose.
Because they are having fun? I feel like I am weird in these parts because I like to try a game and then keep playing it or not based on if I am having fun.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
please, dear friends, dont spend money on this

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Their policy for refunds seems fair enough to at least try the game out for 60 bones.

quote:

Who do I contact for support or refunds?

Contact us and we'll be glad to help: support@citystateentertainment.com. Our policy is to happily give refunds to any of our Backers who ask for one while the game is still in development.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
This will probably be very fun but you can bet your money you gave them two years ago that the second delay in July won't be the last, this will be a pretty solid MMO in 2017. Then in 2018 Shroud of the Avatar will be fleshed out, making all of the money I spent in 2013 more valuable than BitCoins!!!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

extra stout posted:

This will probably be very fun but you can bet your money you gave them two years ago that the second delay in July won't be the last, this will be a pretty solid MMO in 2017. Then in 2018 Shroud of the Avatar will be fleshed out, making all of the money I spent in 2013 more valuable than BitCoins!!!

I really kind of wish that SoTA offered refunds like CU :cry:

Orv
May 4, 2011
They let Beta 1 people in today, I got about an hour in, there's glimmers of potential around the edges, but it sure as gently caress is an alpha.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Orv posted:

They let Beta 1 people in today, I got about an hour in, there's glimmers of potential around the edges, but it sure as gently caress is an alpha.

Its made by Mythic that means its pretty close to release.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You seem real hung up on Mythic.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he is mostly right but thats just because all mmo developers are just awful

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Game developers in general are awful

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Mark's team actually seems pretty cool. I do my morning run past their offices and have ran into (and spoken with them) during lunch when i see them out and about. I've bought into the product because I think it's cool, and I'm not concerned about buying into the project because I know which office to place the flaming dog poo at if things go south. :keke:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I had no idea until I got an email today that I had contributed enough to be in this beta. This is a nice surprise.

EDIT: logged into the game and it immediately crashed. GG

EDIT: "/hideui perfhud" is the pro-est command for those in beta

Nearly killed a CSE guy but he ran away with about 30hp and i only had melee weapons and couldn't chase him down. Melee feels clunky as hell.

Budgie fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 7, 2015

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

quote:

A couple of weeks back, I told our Beta 1 Backers that they were going to be able to access select Alpha tests. We also said that one of the ways we were going to help make up for the delay was by opening the servers for longer periods of time for our Alpha folks, as well. As such, I’m pleased to announce the first round of Friday Night Fights!

Twice a month, starting tomorrow (8/7/2015) at noon our time, we are going to open our servers to Alpha, IT, and Beta 1 Backers to furball it up in our current build. Over the course of this Extended Alpha, we will also be working with TMS to add some fun stuff for the Backers who want to participate in FNF.

The FNFs are currently planned (subject to change, our needs, etc.) to run every other Friday, during the length of Extended Alpha. The FNF will start in the current map, and then be shifted over to the first iteration of a map created with our new terrain system.

Now, this may sound a little bit like marketing, a little bit like hype, but actually (other than the name), it really isn’t. Just like the P.A.T.s, if Beta is going to be delayed, we drat well should make the most of it, and thank our Backers for their patience. This is a way we can accomplish both. By having more Beta 1 folks in our testing group, we’ll get bigger matches, more PC builds tested, and more fun stuff happening. Yes, it is still an Alpha build, but throwing fireballs at walls or enemies and launching Luchorpán (and soon, destroying buildings) is fun.

Plus, once we migrate over to the new map, our Backers will see everything begin to unfold into a richer, more vibrant world, and not just an engine build. Also, depending on how things go, we might also find the time to run and live stream some matches. The FNF will last for 24 hours, so all of our Beta 1 folks can join in the fun and frolic. Again, we’re planning on opening the servers to all Alpha, Beta 1, and IT folks tomorrow, 8/7/2015, at noon, our time.

For our Alpha testers, as soon as we get the new world map in, we plan on having the servers up for 72 hours, every weekend that there isn’t a FNF. This won’t affect our Impromptu Alpha Tests (of which we have a ton), or other Alpha tests during the week, but we know that a lot of our Backers don’t have much time during the week to play, so we want to give them lots of opportunities to play in the most current and stable build.

But wait, there’s a little bit more! I just wanted to add that all over CSE (which in all fairness, is a pretty small office space), things are moving along well. Whether you look at our new folks coming up to speed nicely, Andrew and his magical terrain system, improvements and bug fixes for stances, ability system, rendering optimizations for buildings, class presentation and animation system or more, it has been a great week, and things are really looking good.

That just about wraps up today’s update. For our Beta 1 Backers, I hope you enjoy the Alpha Engine Build, and I urge you, please read the rather lengthy Alpha Manual. It has a lot of very useful information that will save you time and effort in figuring out what the heck it is you are doing in the build. So, once again, please read the manual, which can be found in our Forums or via the patcher!

CU in the engine build tomorrow!

Enjoy your weekend, all!

-Mark

Basically now the alpha servers are going to be up every week.

Right now it's mostly revolving around stress testing, but it's interesting to see how fast they are making progress.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
This looks and sounds pretty bad, but I did think that DAoC was the better of the 4 or so MMOs out at the time when the only real options were UO, DAoC, EQ, and AC, so maybe there is something here worth caring about? Probably not, honestly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

goldjas posted:

This looks and sounds pretty bad, but I did think that DAoC was the better of the 4 or so MMOs out at the time when the only real options were UO, DAoC, EQ, and AC, so maybe there is something here worth caring about? Probably not, honestly.

AC 2 was released after DAOC, it bombed and died. DAOC just thrived because there was little choice and all the LotR movies started coming out. Mythic hardly balanced anything ever and when they did they balanced them into the ground.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

and all the LotR movies started coming out.

:what:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

goldjas posted:

Well, from my experience playing, the ability modification system, and a few others, really shine and show the potential of what you can do with builds.

Also the bane/boon system.

Want 10% more fire damage? Perfect! But you need to take a negative, such as 5% vulnerability to physical or something. You can do more for adjusting your play style than you could in any MMO in recent memory.

Race impacts your abilities, as well as faction, class, ability modification, and boons. It's very layered and well put together.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I've always wished there was an MMO game that could replicate the Keep/Relic/Stealth/8 man system of DAoC. Is/was there anything else like it?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

im gay posted:

I've always wished there was an MMO game that could replicate the Keep/Relic/Stealth/8 man system of DAoC. Is/was there anything else like it?

many have tried, all have perished

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Is this a tab-targeted cooldown game?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

im gay posted:

Think of CU as the successor to DAoC as far as many good mechanics.

Space Bat posted:

This is a game with many targeted abilities, and some skillshot, similar to GW2, so kind of a hybrid as far as it currently stands. I'm not sure if there will be a GCD in release, if so it will likely be short.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Space Bat posted:

No GCD, but there are cooldowns across all abilities using the same base. So when you use a shout based ability, all of those go on cooldown.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I haven't paid attention to this game for over a year and I heard the beta was delayed. Any idea when it will actually offer something persistent rather than the timed events like the friday night fights they were running?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bait and Swatch posted:

I haven't paid attention to this game for over a year and I heard the beta was delayed. Any idea when it will actually offer something persistent rather than the timed events like the friday night fights they were running?

Entirely from my rear end I'd say probably late Q1. Of course if you want persistence that won't get wiped at end of beta, probably more like early Q4.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah but can I be a bright wizard and punt stupid elves off volcanic rocks into lava?

Orv
May 4, 2011
There are already knockback modifiers which do a frankly terrifying amount of damage, but at this point basically anything besides there being an ability crafting system is all in the air.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Extra posted:

Yeah but can I be a bright wizard and punt stupid elves off volcanic rocks into lava?

Ah Bright wizard the class so good could own people 10 levels above them. They really made sure they were balanced.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

There are already knockback modifiers which do a frankly terrifying amount of damage, but at this point basically anything besides there being an ability crafting system is all in the air.

I hope the AoE tractor beams are just as deadly :allears:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Tenzarin posted:

Ah Bright wizard the class so good could own people 10 levels above them. They really made sure they were balanced.

biggest reason i left the game :(

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
PS: The stealth concept sounds interesting

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So i can play this now if i give them 60 bucks?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That gif is Warhammer online, I would wait in till the game is never released to throw money at it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

malhavok posted:

So i can play this now if i give them 60 bucks?

Limited time testing currently, I'd really recommend you hold off for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
There is limited weekly testing, you can wait till closer to more Alphas/betas.

Right now each class has like 3-5 abilities that work properly, but the rudimentary modification system is in. It's actually quite fun to play with and the depth will be considerable.

• Locked thread