Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

We want Duck Bros to help us in what is probably going to be a long struggle with chaos worshippers in the Tula. I say peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Peace and love. Duck bros before hoes.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Have you ever seen a skinny duck? Demand food for 50 people a year

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Approach and offer peace.

Allies with the ducks, they might gently caress someone else on our behalf.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Demand food for 50 humans.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Offer peace. They'd make potentially awesome allies.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
peace

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Don't gently caress with the ducks

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Subjugate the Ducks and make them give us 50 food

Also? Stop trying to Kill As Many As Possible when you raid. It's almost never a good option unless you're in end game blood feud mode, it's harder to win, and it makes all the clans around you really angry. The goal of any good raid is to take their stuff and run. Always Plunder unless you have a good reason not to.

(Good reasons not to include: obliterating old enemies in late game, burning steads to push another clan off the map, taking captives from a very weakened clan to extract more in ransom than you could plunder.)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Peace in our time.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
We can afford to lean on the ducks a little bit. We can even be duckfriends, so long as they ducknowledge that we're the boss in the ducklationship. The other clans will admire our duckplomacy. Ask for 50 food per year. The good stuff, not that bread crumbs poo poo.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Subjugate the Ducks and make them give us 50 food

Also? Stop trying to Kill As Many As Possible when you raid. It's almost never a good option unless you're in end game blood feud mode, it's harder to win, and it makes all the clans around you really angry. The goal of any good raid is to take their stuff and run. Always Plunder unless you have a good reason not to.

(Good reasons not to include: obliterating old enemies in late game, burning steads to push another clan off the map, taking captives from a very weakened clan to extract more in ransom than you could plunder.)

Agreed, choosing to Plunder gives us the best chance of ... plunder. It's also an easier objective and should cause fewer casualties on our side.

I'm fine with the other objectives (captives, burning steads, slaughter) if we're doing it to a feud enemy, but maybe only when we've snuck past their patrols and have them outnumbered.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We should win the victory over ourselves and Love the ducks.

And when we get to heroquests, I'm all for letting Infinitum make all the choices himself.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
However, if Infinitum does the heroquests on his own, I'd highly encourage him to read the relevant myth carefully before starting it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Raiding isn't about killing. It's about Getting Dat Fukkin Loot. Unless you're in some serious loving hatfield v mccoy blood feud poo poo, you shouldn't be trying to kill everyone. It's a bit more like 'borrowing' your neighbor's power tools and sometimes he gets pissed and you maybe fist fight each other sometimes over the fact that you have his tools but he took your wheelbarrow but it all kinda evens out in the end. Orlanthi raid each other, that's normal. It's boring during the Fire season, there's not much to do besides get drunk and go brawl with the neighbors. Killing each other excessively, that's not what you do. Sometimes people die or get hurt but that's unfortunate, it's not the end goal.

Sometimes you wanna rearrange the borders between tulas by force, but usually you just want dat loot.

Also, be all chill with the ducks. Ask them what's up, offer some peace bro.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Peace out, my duck

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Can you stop murdering tons of people on every raid, raiding isn't supposed to be about murder, it's supposed to be about making the other guys feel bad and taking their stuff - murder is just a handy extra. You're being a huge jerk and everyone is going to hate you. I suppose it's appropriate for clan Australi, though :v:

E:

I really should have refreshed.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Peace. Duckbros best bros

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm changing my vote to squeeze the mallards for 50 food a year.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In Orlanthi terms, plundering makes you the tough kid in the block, but (focusing on) killing makes you that creepy weirdo nobody wants to hang out with.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
For too long have we fed the ducks our bread, now it is time for them to repay the favour! 50 food per year.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Peace! We can always come back when we're stronger.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Hmm. Generally agree with not killing dudes. But I think it can be optimal in certain circumstances, like if you really want to bully a clan into the ground, because I found that killing people actually does have an effect on their population and they will have fewer dudes to defend. Though dunno if the delayed gain is worth it, and you kind of need to be already stronger in order to consistently pull that off too.

Also there is at least one treasure Humakt's Sword that improve battle results when going for murder, though I have no idea if it makes victory more likely than a non-murder goal.

Also, 50 food.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

my dad posted:

However, if Infinitum does the heroquests on his own, I'd highly encourage him to read the relevant myth carefully before starting it.

There's currently a really unfortunate bug where every myth displays the "partially complete" version regardless of how many secrets you actually know.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

lurksion posted:

Hmm. Generally agree with not killing dudes. But I think it can be optimal in certain circumstances, like if you really want to bully a clan into the ground, because I found that killing people actually does have an effect on their population and they will have fewer dudes to defend. Though dunno if the delayed gain is worth it, and you kind of need to be already stronger in order to consistently pull that off too.

Yeah, but we aren't doing that here. Australi should just be brawling and looting at this point in time, it's way too early for us to think about trying to wipe another clan from existence. We've barely even been here a whole year!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

cheetah7071 posted:

There's currently a really unfortunate bug where every myth displays the "partially complete" version regardless of how many secrets you actually know.

Well, that can be solved by checking the myth links in Haifisch's LP. The spoilage is fairly minor, and provides a decent balance between playing blind and not having to deal with annoying bugs.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

my dad posted:

The one nice thing about the steam version is that the myths are opened in a Steam window, meaning you can have them open in the background while Heroquesting and open the Steam UI when you need a reminder.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Peace, friends.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In the long term we should definitely bully the Black Rock until they run away and give us a better looking map.

But the Ducks? Charge them rent. (50 food)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So quick question, if I were in the market to get this game ,should I get the GOG version or Steam version?

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
50 food seems like a trifling amount, let's make peace with the Ducks and see what places that leads us to.

It does sound like making peace will upset some of our people from the responses the ring said but we're seemingly doing pretty alright as far as morale goes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So quick question, if I were in the market to get this game ,should I get the GOG version or Steam version?

Get the Steam version, it has some new stuff and a better interface.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

We can't let those ducks just squat on our land.
50 food for thee or fight!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Do what I did and buy it three times! :homebrew:

(GoG, Android, Steam)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

And yeah, ducks gotta pay fiddy bucks in rent

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I actually think the gog version is superior. Here's the advantages and disadvantages of each version:

Gog:
+larger noble pool, so you get more cool ones
+better interface actually designed for PC, not for tablet
+can easily savescum if that's up your alley
+can have multiple saves going simultaneously
-missing some new events
-a few bugs (sheep overflow, omens asking you to learn Urox blessings when you know them all already)
-have to manually manage crafters and crop distribution

Steam:
+new events
+automatically manages some of the more fiddly aspects
-tiny noble pool so it's easy to get into a situation where you don't even have 7 unique gods represented, or only have 3 or 4 nobles who aren't poo poo
-annoying interface, especially when managing nobles; particularly egregious is that the default emissary option is "demand tribute"
-a few bugs of its own (you can't select "no" in any yes/no event decision, it shows the mid-level myth lore even if you don't know the story, or if you know the full details)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

15 of our mates came over asking for a barbie, but the remaining 23 of us got the bong out and decided to

theshim posted:

Peace out, my duck

Well it's no 36 Chambers, but it'll do.

We went exploring again, and got another bloody rock event. So for the sake of time, and boring events, I'll handle it.

I am an accomplished boaster. Let me go to our neighbours, and brag of this find.
What're gonna say mate? "We found more rocks"?

Conduct a divination.

Ohhh unfamiliar spirits. Well the obviously when we have 0 magic available the correct choice is to

Free weaponthanes? Don't mind if I do! :swoon:

I promise you won't get brutally, brutally murdered!

Well looks like our other search party got lost in our own tula. Sure am glad I sent them out with 30 men as an experiment :doh:

Barntar is most def getting sacrificed to this Dark Season. Might put a recruitment drive on as well.. hmm

Sarotar's clan grows irritable wuth us, but we must not hurry. We can afford to do what's in our best interest.

Better to give Sarotar a gift than information we are unsure of. (2)

Just tell him what we think of him, as if we were speaking about Brandig.
Where did you get that duck head Harran..

Brandig is a bold one; his deeds will surely be celebrated in the chronicles. (1)

Answer his questions; it is good to give him words instead of cows. (1)

Brandig speaks with blunt honesty, and is quick to spot deceit. (1)

If we say the wrong thing, we'll be in trouble. (3)

No.. Seriously.. Where'd you get that head from Harran?

- "Brandig? We know him well."
- "Let us give you a gift, instead of information."
- "We don't know anything about Brandig."
- "We'll try to answer your questions, but do not guarantee that our answers will be right."
- "What do you take us for? A pack of tattle-tales?"

quote:

:eng101:
The Badger Clan is known for dancing in every thunderstorm. Their chief is Janstan. They're in the Colymar Tribe. We owe THEM a favour.
The White Horse Clan is known for their hatred of Chaos. Their chief is Brandig. They owe US a favour.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This event is why it's theoretically optimal (though incredibly tedious) to record the details of all of those little "X clan has a new chief" messages.

Two clan members giving us info is pretty good odds, so tell them what they want to know.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
IIRC, there are 4 or 5 possible traits they can ask about. I never liked the odds much with 2 ring members giving info, so offer a gift instead of information.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

38 votes was super awesome to wake up to as well :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Know Brandig? Motherfucker owes us :10bux:

• Locked thread