Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tindalos
May 1, 2008
For too long have we fed the ducks our bread, now it is time for them to repay the favour! 50 food per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Buy as many fetches as we can afford. Spirit fetches are worth their weight in iron.

RabidWeasel posted:

P sure that wasn't secret murder since the guy straight up said he was going to kill him.

And he paid Wergild, paying his debt. We technically do not have a grudge against him, especially after duelling for the slain thane's honour.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Put more magic into Mysteries. That way we'll need less cows/goods to get a decent reaction from the gods.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Someone should do a lorepost about this fascinating historical event:
(art from KoDP, but not really a spoiler as this isn't something that actually happens in the game)

Glorantha :allears:

Okay, since this doesn't actually come up in game, other than lore and realising why the Orlanthi hate sorcerers, I figure this doesn't count as spoilers. If it's too spoilery, just say and I'll remove it.

That monster is Zistor. The God Learners made it to imitate the god Mostal the Maker, who is father to the dwarves and made weapons for the gods. Zistor, however, was an empty parody of metal and wires, who had no life, and was in fact the devil reborn. This was so awful, that the Unity Council of the first age was rebuilt, and dwarves, elves, trolls, and man all joined together to besiege the clanking city where this false god was being built.
The siege lasted a decade, with many raids from both sides, but it finally ended when the God Learners succeeded in bringing Zistor to horrific unlife, raising their machine god as a behemoth of soul-destroying terror.
Unfortunately for them, this abomination broke the Great Compromise. Orlanth Storm King was freed, and brought the battle directly to Zistor. Their battle terrible, and merciless. But Zistor was a machine, and Orlanth a Great God. And so Zistor was thrown down, destroyed, and the God Learners of the Clanking City were defeated.

And then the dwarves betrayed everyone. An army of ten thousand of their soldiers, clad in iron, marched through the city. They demanded everyone give up all stolen property, including anything made with mechanical or manufacturing processes. Any who objected were slain, including a great hero of Orlanth. They then trapped and cursed the city, so that all would abandon it. And left with their stolen plunder. This is why no one trusts dwarves, for their greed knows no bounds.

Of course, that's not entirely accurate.

The story of Zistor goes back earlier, over a century before the Clanking City fell. The God Learners had used their sorcery to discover what they called the Core Runes. The basic runes which made up further runes, and ultimately creation. For example they saw the Communication or Trade Rune (borne by Issaries in King of Dragon Pass) was a combination of the Harmony Rune (owned by Chalanna Arroy) and the Motion Rune (as carried by Vinga in game).
The various schools and orders of the God Learners had long felt that one of these Core Runes was missing, and in a series of great debates, it was proven that the lost rune was Purification (as all runes and forces had become degenerate and weakened. Yet their holy grimoire had said "the Purpose of Life is to be closer to God." No rune had addressed this reversal of entropy).

One of the schools which developed from the revelation of Purification was the Zistorites. They sought to study the world, and work out how it functioned. They would determine the "little laws" that made up the world, and trace them back to the great fundamental laws, until they would know the great system underlying the cosmos. The centre of this school was what the pagans called the Clanking City. Where they built the "Worlds Greatest Machine". This enabled them to make great things with their sorcery. Including great observation balloons which hung in the air while powered by sylphs. These were unmoved by storm or stillness, until the end. They made mass produced magic swords, although these never functioned when taken away from the Worlds Greatest Machine, so could not provide the God Learners with a truly unstoppable army.

The pagans told stories about Zistor, the great mechanical god which Orlanth slew.
But this was merely a servant of the Worlds Greatest Machine, the true Zistor. Which was beneath the city, powered by it. The machine had many laboratories, automated prayer wheels, runic engines and more, all devoted to the Rune of Purification. For its purpose was purify the world by taking it apart, destroying it, so that the Core Runes could be recreated, and the Perfect World of God Learner mythology could be recreated.

It failed. For one thing, there was no Purification Rune. It was a mistake of the God Learners, and part of the reason why they failed. But this is forgotten, and now everyone merely remembers that at the Clanking City, their ancestors fought Chaos.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

My understanding of the setting is that a sufficiently powerful heroquest probably could create a new rune, at least locally. I know there's a moon rune, did that exist before the red goddess?

The fact that even the god learners couldn't do a heroquest strong enough to make the purification rune probably puts it at functionally, if not literally, impossible for anybody short of a PC.

From what I can tell, it did pre-exist the goddess. Annilla, goddess of the Blue Streak and worshipped by the Trolls and Merfolk, has the Moon Rune; as does her son, Artmal, who in the gods age ruled an empire of blue-skinned people far to the far south.

The God Learners may have included the Moon Rune as a symbol of balance in their old runic lists, but I'm not sure if those are canon any more.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

loquacius posted:

I love that this is an event just as much as everyone has already said, but I also love that it just casually drops at the beginning of the description that this happens during Death Week. I've never seen Death Week come up before, but apparently we have a thing called Death Week, this event said so. Happy Death Week, everyone. Personally I try to live every week like it's Death Week. :allears:

The Orlanthi calendar divides each season into 8 weeks, named after the 8 powers that make up the world. In order they are Disorder, Harmony, Death, Fertility, Stasis, Movement, Illusion, and Truth Week.

As you can imagine, Death Week is sacred to the Humakti, and they will often hold religious rites all week long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Send them to the Blackrocks.

Just remember that sometimes it's just easier to give someone a cow.

• Locked thread