Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Clan-making dance, Ves Venna, Urox, Duckfriends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Iretep posted:

Can you even piss off the elves?

Only the beastfolk, dwarves, dragonewts, and trolls can destroy your clan. Pissing off other factions just makes them either raid you more or get more negative events from them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I legit wish that one of the heroquests in this game was "Urox kills some chaos" and every stage was "There's a chaos beast. Do you fight it? Yes/no"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Drakenel posted:

That may be, but she's useful for sacrificing your useless rear end nobles. Honestly, I don't ever recall them getting up in your grill too much aside from the occassional raid. Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky

Also yes. Urox heroquest is basically.

"You see Chaos do yo-"
A) KILLMAIMDIEDIEDIEAARGHBLGHRGH
B) Leave the realm of the gods (you pussy)

That's fixed in this version I heard. Do it too much and you'll get an apocalypse event.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Orlanth performed the feats Ernalda asked of him alone (I think), so that's the way All Marriages Should Be Done.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sacrifice 10-15 goods to Nevala.

And, just so everybody knows, in the steam version of the game, sheep events in this game are a little weird, because sheep aren't treated as a true resource like they were in the original version. Whatever the game claims happens to our sheep will happen to our cows instead.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Puistokemisti posted:

:psyduck:
That's interesting change for sure. What was the reason they stopped tracking sheep?

Sheep are still silently tracked on the farming screen, but they aren't reported on the bottom bar, and you don't have to sacrifice them to shrines anymore. It's mostly because sheep never did anything in the original version besides overflow and give you a negative number so all your shrines went away.

The exchange rate between sheep and cows isn't 1:1 in these events, so even in the worst case we won't be losing hundreds of cows, I don't think.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm guessing from that that you always have exactly twice as many pigs and sheep as cows, so the event is really saying "90 cows are sick", though who knows with this game honestly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is that magic assignment final? If not, do a heroquest.

e: If it is, get Ernalda's bless crops blessing and raid some poor fuckers into the ground.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The heroic babies omen is super cool to get early. Hopefully the thread remembers to remind you to check the noble pool 18 years from now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

NewMars posted:

Interesting note: Nevala is one of the few times Heler appears in-game!

Heler is not like other Orlanthi gods, when they talk about their aspects, they can often be associated heroes or minor gods and goddesses. Not so with Heler. Heler is his aspects, all of them, even when two appear in the same story. How does this work? Heler is a water being and a shapeshifter. Fluidity is their nature and power in a way only applicable to other watery beings.

Wait, Nevala is an aspect of Heler? That's bizarre. Are sheep all gender fluid or something?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RickVoid posted:

I can't wait for our first Hero Quest attempt, when experienced Team Goon votes for all the right answers and story still doesn't turn out right. :allears:

Hero quests pretty much exist to frustrate you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cimbri posted:

^This, gently caress Heroquests. Too bad that you have to do all of them.

Nah there's no reason to do the bad ones. But Infinitum doesn't know which ones the bad ones are, so it's gonna be loads of fun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cimbri posted:

What're you talking about? There are only 8 quests in the game. Or are you referring to the self inflicted torture?

By my count there's 9 quests, and the game doesn't force you to do all of them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If a farmer wakes up and all his cows are pregnant, he's been blessed by Uralda. If his bulls are pregnant too, he has a minor broo infestation. If his stead, boundary stones, and plow are pregnant, he has a bad broo infestation.

Basically, broos suck. Go campaigning.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 7, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I thought we wanted the clan to last more than a few years this time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What are we, Kolatli? Spirits are for nerds. Some of our neighbors are nerds though, so brag.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gently caress with the ducks

They aren't our ancient enemy so it'll probably be fine this time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

my dad posted:

However, if Infinitum does the heroquests on his own, I'd highly encourage him to read the relevant myth carefully before starting it.

There's currently a really unfortunate bug where every myth displays the "partially complete" version regardless of how many secrets you actually know.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So quick question, if I were in the market to get this game ,should I get the GOG version or Steam version?

I actually think the gog version is superior. Here's the advantages and disadvantages of each version:

Gog:
+larger noble pool, so you get more cool ones
+better interface actually designed for PC, not for tablet
+can easily savescum if that's up your alley
+can have multiple saves going simultaneously
-missing some new events
-a few bugs (sheep overflow, omens asking you to learn Urox blessings when you know them all already)
-have to manually manage crafters and crop distribution

Steam:
+new events
+automatically manages some of the more fiddly aspects
-tiny noble pool so it's easy to get into a situation where you don't even have 7 unique gods represented, or only have 3 or 4 nobles who aren't poo poo
-annoying interface, especially when managing nobles; particularly egregious is that the default emissary option is "demand tribute"
-a few bugs of its own (you can't select "no" in any yes/no event decision, it shows the mid-level myth lore even if you don't know the story, or if you know the full details)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This event is why it's theoretically optimal (though incredibly tedious) to record the details of all of those little "X clan has a new chief" messages.

Two clan members giving us info is pretty good odds, so tell them what they want to know.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Feed them then consider learning some of Uralda's mysteries. If I understand the event logic from this game, she isn't a fan of us right now, which probably will make our herds suffer until we fix it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I had to guess (I've never actually seen this event), asking them how to honor Uralda will probably only make it so our sacrifices are more likely to reach her, which is fairly useless since you can just bling her out with more silver.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Infinitum posted:

They refer to the options that a clan-ring member recommends.

Here's what the event screen looks like

Each ring member will generally recommend a different option, so it'll help you guys out when you're voting if you know what they're thinking. Sometimes they won't offer a recommendation at all.

Also note that the advice isn't always cut-and-dried. Your lawspeaker's "recommendations" will be about what is legal not what's a good idea. Your warleader will tell you whether or not he thinks you can win, not whether you should fight.

my dad posted:

A Humakti, an Uroxi, and a Vingan get drunk in a bar. The Uroxi throws his axe, the Vingan shouts "Duck!" and the Humakti says "Yes?"

Excuse me Humakt isn't a duck, he's a human wearing a fake duck beak, Get your facts straight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mauman posted:

Methinks you're misreading the joke.

In my defense it's 2:00 AM

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Buy Spirit Fetches

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't put magic in health. Put it in quests instead. :getin:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ro5s posted:

Do we actually know any heroquests? If we do we should kill someone try one. Otherwise, put another point in mysteries and try to learn one.

We started with Orlanth and Aroka, and an event gave us Humakt the Champion. Not sure if we've gotten any from sacrifices.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mechanical Ape posted:

Let's wait another year to heroquest, and try to build our magic stock a bit before then. Luckily our Spirit Fetches will help with that!

I'd like to see us try to set up a trade route with someone. Keep them silver rings rolling in. I don't know whether it's Diplomacy or Trade magic that helps with that.

I believe everything on the "relations" screen is affected by diplomacy and everything on the "trade" screen is affected by trade.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fun fact, each hero quest has a season or two it's most likely to succeed in. See if you can figure them out!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Infinitum posted:

(I may have put 2 points into Quests at the start of the year, if that has anything to do with winning)

It does, but that only takes heroquests from "suicidal" to "usually suicidal".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder what start you need to seduce the dark woman, I see it fail like 30% of the time. Women trying to seduce the dark man seem to fail a lot more.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do we have any of the Glorantha lore heavyweights in this thread? It'd be nice to have effortposts about the harder to understand aspects of the setting, like heroquests, and I only consider myself barely qualified to do them (though I will if there's nobody actually qualified).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jenx posted:

Well, what would you want to know about them? Since talking about just "heroquests" in general will lead us nowhere. Either that or the thread will end up looking like Arcane Lore, one of the more esoteric Stafford Library books (and that's saying something).

Also, great job on the Heroquest there!

As for these Elmali assholes - Offer them compensation. No way are we letting these guys lob dirt at our temple!

I just assumed that Illuminati or other newbies in the thread would want to know what exactly is going on during a heroquest. I know it blew my mind when someone actually explained it (in Haifisch's LP I think), since it was way cooler than what I was able to pick up on in-game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is definitely the ring's job, but she's being preposterous.

e: what the gently caress happened to my avatar

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Duckbag posted:

Now, I've never played this game and don't know how anything works, but am I right in thinking that trading away 16 horses is kind of terrible?

Depends, really. The only use horses have is that weaponthanes ride them. They do (usually) die when your thanes do, but you capture them pretty frequently on raids. I've never had to worry about horses when I wasn't in a death spiral, and not worrying about them is the same as saying you have a safe buffer you can trade away.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Eurmal brought death into the world, and chaos with it, but he was also one of the lightbringers who fixed the world when it was broken.

The best thing I've heard for explaining how normal people view this vaguely contradictory poo poo is "When Orlanthi and Dara Happans fight, it is because Orlanth and Yelm fought. When Orlanthi and Dara Happans make peace, it is because Orlanth and Yelm made peace." Basically, the myths tell you multiple things about the gods. They're all true, just roll with it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Send an explorer to the lake in the northern part of the map.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ousire posted:

How exactly does one automate hero questing? It seems to be a very involved process.

Magical robot god I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You should be able to see the games description of that event from the Lore screen. There's a bunch of historical events that provide context to the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass there.

• Locked thread