Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots

ChosenbytheZetans posted:

Liked the idea, but thought they tried way too hard and it showed. The cast probably had a lot of fun though, so good for them.

i felt like the vast had to put in a real concerted effort to not look at the camera and go "haha, pretty wacky right guys?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Affe mk2 posted:

i felt like the vast had to put in a real concerted effort to not look at the camera and go "haha, pretty wacky right guys?!"

yeah that poo poo wouldn't fly on mlp:fim

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Affe mk2 posted:

isnt that kinda the point
its intentionally cheesy humor for the majority of the jokes

edit: btw loved the gag of david wain playing amazing grace on the shofar
they also had a call back to the state with the line "i wanna dip my balls in it" in episode 7

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 10, 2015

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
this show would be really good on mtv because it's for stupid babies

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know why Elizabeth Banks is never in the same scenes as other major characters?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
This show was good and funny like the original movie. That's all.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

McDowell posted:

Does anyone know why Elizabeth Banks is never in the same scenes as other major characters?

Filming schedules were supposedly a nightmare

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

yeah they had to work around movie star's schedules, unlike before when they were all unknown enough to actually stay at a summer camp for 2 weeks. bradley cooper did all his stuff in one day

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax

TEAYCHES posted:

watch peep show

took this advice, thank u, it is way better than that american summer show also how are we supposed to care about that bitch at all after the way she told showalter off in the movie in the most epicly cold way any ice queen could

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Puppy Galaxy posted:

yeah they had to work around movie star's schedules, unlike before when they were all unknown enough to actually stay at a summer camp for 2 weeks. bradley cooper did all his stuff in one day

Yeah that was made clear when he put on the skimask.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

the movie and show were such ensemble pieces with segmented storylines and no real main character that it didnt really matter if they only had an actor for a short time
just film all their scenes in a row and then spread them out over the rest of the show

worked for me

edit: arrested development s4 was much worse about this because the characters normally interacted with each other a whole hell of a lot more in the first 3 seasons and it dragged having to focus on one person's story at a time

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 10, 2015

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

JazzFlight posted:

isnt that kinda the point
its intentionally cheesy humor for the majority of the jokes

edit: btw loved the gag of david wain playing amazing grace on the shofar
they also had a call back to the state with the line "i wanna dip my balls in it" in episode 7

'i wanna dip my balls in it' belongs on the voyager spacecraft as representative of our most potent cultural and intellectual heights

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

the movie and show were such ensemble pieces with segmented storylines and no real main character that it didnt really matter if they only had an actor for a short time

just film all their scenes in a row and then spread them out over the rest of the show

worked for me

yeah its not even that noticeable to be honest. not like arrested development season 4 where the show suffered with the production schedule

edit: you said the same thing i did after your edit

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The original movie is Elizabeth Banks' 'Picture of Dorian Gray'. She stays super schmoove forever while this tepid shitfest sits for 15 years, only to resurface when the brunette lady looks like Ellen Page's dehydrated great aunt

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
ok just finished the last episode and yeah, it fuckin owned

i kinda feel bad for people who didn't like this because it means your sense of humor (and by extension you as a person) is boring and unfunny and that's gotta be awful to live with every day

like cancer but instead of cancer of the lungs or pancreas its just cancer of the personality and nobody sells charity wristbands for that, theres no susan g. komen race for the cure for bland personality, instead you just don't get invited to parties thrown by the friends you don't have and eventually you kill yourself

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

HoboZero posted:

The original movie is Elizabeth Banks' 'Picture of Dorian Gray'. She stays super schmoove forever while this tepid shitfest sits for 15 years, only to resurface when the brunette lady looks like Ellen Page's dehydrated great aunt

This but replace Elizabeth Banks with AD Miles. Dude still looks like he's 14 years old.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
wow a made for stream release not up to par

let me chalk this single one up as a miss and completely ignore everything else to date

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Jon Ham lighting the store on fire was very good

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Just watched the first episode, it was alright, I'll watch more

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
took a poo poo on film.

waiting for bezos to release it next year

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

johnny sack posted:

This show is absolutely terrible.

I watched the first couple of episodes, thinking there's bound to be a redeeming episode coming up soon. Another couple of episodes later, and I'm certain it's the worst show I've ever seen.

The jokes aren't funny at all. Example: oh the dude is hiding from the guy he prank called by sticking a cooking pot over his head and standing still! Hilarious! Or maybe when the camp guy became a can of vegetables! How wacky!

There's nothing redeeming about the show except for when you shut it off.

same but your posts

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
is don draper funny

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Bug Bill Murray posted:

God you're all a bunch of joyless loving losers

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

verbal enema posted:

is don draper funny

Actually the fight between Don "The Draper" Falcon and that chef bloke who looks exactly like him was probably the funniest scene in the whole show, also he is funny in much better netflix comedy unbreakable kimmy schmidt and memoirs of a young doctor where he plays a growed up Harry Potter.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
For me it was about like the movie where somewhere less than 50% of the jokes landed and nothing had me in stitches. Pretty bad numbers for an actual comedy.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

thathonkey posted:

For me it was about like the movie where somewhere less than 50% of the jokes landed and nothing had me in stitches. Pretty bad numbers for an actual comedy.

but pretty good for something Netflix, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
David Wain is really funny as the israeli. But they should pay him to do something new, not to rehash old stuff that doesn't need rehashing.

It was fun to see which cast members got the movie star 'forever 32' treatment and which aged naturally.

• Locked thread