Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Difficult People is a sitcom created by Julie Klausner streaming on Hulu. It was originally scheduled to be on USA, but they changed their minds. Fortunately, Hulu picked it up for a full season. The first two episodes were put up today (August 5) but I'm not sure when the rest are going to be up. Julie has described the show as Will and Grace if they were less attractive and unlikeable, and there have also been comparisons to Curb Your Enthusiasm- a comparison she also welcomes.

If you need to be convinced about why you should watch a show that revolves around two bitter Jews who want nothing more than to bring everyone around them down with them, this Rolling Stone article does a good job of explaining.

Julie Kessler, played by Julie Klausner ("How Was Your Week?" podcast, Twitter, various cabaret shows throughout New York City), is a bitter 30-something failed New York City comedian whose day job is writing snarky TV reviews for a website. She regularly belts out pop culture references, mean comments about people around her that she can't stand, or both of these things at the same time. She is also prone to getting in hot water for things she tweets.

Billy Epstein, played by Billy Eichner ("Billy on the Street," "Parks and Recreation"), also fits the description of "bitter 30-something failed comedian in New York that talks poo poo about people and refers to pop culture a lot." He's gay, a proud non-observant Jew, and waits tables (poorly) at a trendy-ish dining spot in Manhattan. Billy and Julie are great buddies who are at their loudest, most obnoxious, and funniest when they're together.

Arthur, played by James Urbaniak ("Review," the voice of Dr. Venture on "The Venture Bros."), is Julie's boyfriend whose greatest ability is to be able to put up with her difficult personality. He works for PBS and is the WASPiest person alive. He also calls Julie weird terms of affection ("Lava Lamp" and "Noodle" are two of many).

Marilyn, played by Andrea Martin ("My Big Fat Greek Wedding," "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"), is Julie's mother. She's a therapist who is very willing to advance her career in weird ways, such as getting plastic surgery on her eyes to look younger and learning hypnosis. She's a little slow on what's going on in pop culture news and shares stuff that Julie already knows.

Denise, on the left played by Gabourey Sidibe ("Push Based on the Novel Etc."), is Billy's boss. She's younger than him and lords her more important status over him on a regular basis. Matthew, on the right played by Cole Escola ("Jeffrey and Cole Cassarole," also he apparently introduced himself to Julie Klausner after one of her shows and was so likeable he got the part), is a younger and more flamboyantly gay coworker of Billy's. He's also a dick, but he has no charm or wittiness to make up for it. Both of them love to go shopping and participate in bizarre photo shoots while on the clock.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Watched this when I had some downtime and I found it really fun. Julie and Billy are absolutely terrible people, but real life Julie and real life Billy have enough charisma that you find yourself somehow half-liking them anyway. Some bits of the first two episodes were kind of obvious, but I definitely don't regret watching and will keep tuning in.

I was especially fond of the weird quirk where the black cast members referred to David Byrne as "David Byrnes".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't say I've ever watched anything that Billy Eichner is in before this (that includes Parks and Rec, sorry), but I love Julie Klausner's podcast. She's a treasure. On the show together, they bring out the absolute worst in each other. They're like an anti-Abbi and Ilana.

Maybe they'll make Arthur be somebody other than the boyfriend who's somehow able to put up with Julie's bullshit. There are still a bunch of episodes to go, so here's hoping!

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
Drives me crazy that Hulu is just dribbling this show out, what is this, 2009? We want to binge watch our TV!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i love this show and i think you should add to the OP that James Urbaniak is also very well known for being in my avatar being in Hal Hartley's Henry Fool trilogy, Henry Fool is the film he got his break in and the trilogy just wrapped up this year with Ned Rifle.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Marilyn, played by Andrea Martin (I honestly could not find anything exciting about her besides voice acting and some crappy short-lived NBC sitcom),

This is sarcasm, right?

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I want to like the show, but the non-stop namedropping semi obscure celebs they do is bothering me to the point where I don't wanna watch anymore.

Too bad because there were a couple of good laughs in there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Willeh posted:

I want to like the show, but the non-stop namedropping semi obscure celebs they do is bothering me to the point where I don't wanna watch anymore.
It doesn't bother me, but a lot of it goes over my head.

I loved the last episode because being around more observant Jews in the family during a holiday resonates with me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
God drat, that "Children's Menu" restaurant is such a good idea I can't believe there aren't already 20 of them in Brooklyn alone.

Saw the child molester joke coming all episode, still loved it. James Urbaniak is so doofy looking.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Not Al Pacino is pretty impressed by their moxie in that photo, so I'm going to presume this takes place in the Devil's Advocate universe.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Saw the first two episodes but mildly enjoyed it. The bitching about kids and kids names was close to home for me. Met a Jordan yesterday called J'Orrdanné. Ughhhhh

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Andrew_1985 posted:

Saw the first two episodes but mildly enjoyed it. The bitching about kids and kids names was close to home for me. Met a Jordan yesterday called J'Orrdanné. Ughhhhh

Is the é really silent?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Accenting a silent letter is pretty genius.

I liked that the tweet that caused the uproar in the first episode is really solid. It must've killed Julie, or whoever wrote it, that it was for the script and not something for their feed (unless it was used and I never saw it).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

precision posted:

God drat, that "Children's Menu" restaurant is such a good idea I can't believe there aren't already 20 of them in Brooklyn alone.
Wasn't this a concept that Julie pitched on her podcast a while back? I mean, this is her show, so I wouldn't be surprised.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Accenting a silent letter is pretty genius.

I liked that the tweet that caused the uproar in the first episode is really solid. It must've killed Julie, or whoever wrote it, that it was for the script and not something for their feed (unless it was used and I never saw it).

My favorite thing about this is that the fake tweet has caused a real uproar on the internet with people literally demanding hulu cancel the show over it. Although apparently all the ire is directed at Amy Poehler, and most of the headlines are referring to it as "Amy Poehler's Difficult People." Weird. I didn't even realize she was affiliated with the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Y-Hat posted:

Wasn't this a concept that Julie pitched on her podcast a while back? I mean, this is her show, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't listened to her podcast much. I plan on fixing that ASAP. What are some good episodes?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hulu is renewing Difficult People for a second season. That was much, much faster than I expected. I guess there are more bitter people in the world than I thought!

dik-dik posted:

My favorite thing about this is that the fake tweet has caused a real uproar on the internet with people literally demanding hulu cancel the show over it. Although apparently all the ire is directed at Amy Poehler, and most of the headlines are referring to it as "Amy Poehler's Difficult People." Weird. I didn't even realize she was affiliated with the show.
Look at the first image in the OP, ya dingus. She's the executive producer.

Don't worry, you're much better than the people who either don't know or don't care that the entire Blue Ivy tweet plot point is based off of far less offensive tweets she's made that got this exact same rabid reaction. To the easily outraged internet loser, comedy is a vehicle for punching up first and foremost and actually being funny is secondary.

precision posted:

I'm ashamed to say I haven't listened to her podcast much. I plan on fixing that ASAP. What are some good episodes?
I couldn't tell you about any specific episodes, but they're filled with varying degrees of goodness. Just look at the descriptions of what she talks about and go for it.

If you're in the mood for a debate among friends, there is an episode where she rates fruits from 30 to 1.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 28, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I love this show but I really hope they drop Sidibe. She is just not funny and her character is awful. I don't know how she keeps getting roles.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Who sings the song in the credits?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I love this show but I really hope they drop Sidibe. She is just not funny and her character is awful. I don't know how she keeps getting roles.
I like to think she and Matthew exist just to be shat on by Julie and Billy.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 28, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dik-dik posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot I read this review on Amazon that was so vitriolic and it was all aimed at Poehler. One of those 'I've never seen the show but I'm outraged that you've said something that doesn't affect me' things.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The best part of this episode was Arthur just being vaguely amused that a child molester looked just like him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Did they edit out the reference to the joke? I rewatched episode 1 and now she doesn't say the actual tweet.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Weird. Good thing I still have the original on my hard drive.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yup the scene now goes like this

"Hold on let me finish this tweet"

"Blue ivy is old enough to"

And then he looks down at the tweet and laughs

I was hoping they'd stick by the joke

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 29, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Me too. :(

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
"Hold on, I'm reading Homeland fanfiction and Carrie and Saul are about to cry-gently caress"

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

That's how it always was. She doesn't say the full tweet until the dinner party. And I just double-checked, and it's still there in the dinner party scene. Don't worry.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 29, 2015

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
She always didn't finish saying the joke in the beginning of the episode, she does say the entire joke at the party.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My bad. That's good then.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The best part of this episode was Arthur just being vaguely amused that a child molester looked just like him.
I loved Julie's Drunk Science video with her bloodhounds.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Y-Hat posted:

I loved Julie's Drunk Science video with her bloodhounds.

As someone who is marrying into a family with 6 basset hounds, it's my duty to inform you that you hosed up sir.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

As someone who is marrying into a family with 6 basset hounds, it's my duty to inform you that you hosed up sir.
You're right, I mixed them up. I love the fact that her character has two basset hounds because Julie was cheering hard for the breed's representative at the last Westminster Dog Show. She made many tweets about the dog and referenced him on her podcast a couple of times.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah she also did these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNrNCEGaJu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9PaXyQuVY

Pretty cool for a cat owner. (I honestly didn't know #jimmyjazz was the name of a sneaker store until I clicked the hashtag one day. That confused me.)

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Billy Eichner was a little overwhelming on parks & rec (I still loved his character) so I'm glad this show is a better fit for him. I'm loving it so far.

I agree, she's dreadful in this. The rest of the cast is great.

I wanted to see more Abra Cadouglas.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kathy Lee Griffin at the end was loving amazing.

Though I had read the credits wrong and thought it just said "Kathy Griffin" and so the whole episode I was like "oh man this is gonna own".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Denise and Matthew are just creepy at this point.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Season finale already? But there were only eight episodes. Ah well, we get another season- hopefully Hulu orders more.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love that they did a Xmas episode even if it would 'air' in September. I love Xmas episodes and that was a good one.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Y-Hat posted:

Season finale already? But there were only eight episodes. Ah well, we get another season- hopefully Hulu orders more.

Shiiiiit :( It DID have a finale feel to it but I assumed it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love that they did a Xmas episode even if it would 'air' in September. I love Xmas episodes and that was a good one.
It felt like it could have taken place at any other time of year and that the Christmas backdrop was just a detail. Then again, we are dealing with a show where the two main characters are Jewish.

And in case you're wondering if Julie's reaction to Hanukkah is exaggerated... not really. When you're not a kid anymore, it's not really anything to look forward to.

• Locked thread