Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

CODENAMES. Vlaada Chvatil, not content with rebuilding Pictionary, turns his madness to Taboo. Of course it turned out loving brilliant, and now all the boardgoons wish they had friends to play it with. They don't, so I'm making a thread.

:siren:MISSION BRIEFING:siren:
TEAM BLUE :911:, the time has come. Your sleeper agents are in position, awaiting your orders. Your couriers must find and activate all of your agents before the commie bastards in TEAM RED :ussr: can activate their agents. You will know your agents by their Codenames. Of course, we cannot transmit these classified codenames to all agents, for fear of interception by the enemy.

Spymasters, you must guide your couriers to the correct agents through encrypted communications. Be careful not to mislead your agents into giving sensitive documents to ignorant bystanders--or worse, enemy agents. And we have word that a mysterious and deadly extremist lies in wait, ready to slaughter the agents of either side. We know this man only as THE ASSASSIN.

TEAM BLUE :911:, deploy to the field. AMERICA is counting on you. FREEDOM is counting on you.

(TEAM RED:ussr:, copy, paste, find-replace with THE MOTHERLAND and THE PROLETARIAT.)

:siren:RULES OF ENGAGEMENT:siren:
The full rules are here, but in brief:
  • Players are presented with a list of 25 words, representing CODENAMES of agents (or nicknames of complete randos, as the case may be)
  • Goons will be divided into two teams, RED and BLUE. Each team will have one Spymaster and three Couriers.
  • The Spymasters will know the "identity" of each word: Red, Blue, Bystander, or Assassin.
  • Spymasters will take turns giving clues to their Couriers. The clues must take the form of [WORD]: [NUMBER], e.g. "Anime: 4." Translated, this means "four of our words on the board are related to Anime."
  • Couriers will then select from the words on the board, at which point I and/or the Spymasters will reveal that word's alignment.
  • If the word matches your team, the Couriers may guess another word, up to [NUMBER] plus one. (You may stop guessing at any time and pass your turn if you wish. But you must guess at least one word every turn.)
  • If the word matches a bystander or the enemy team, your turn is over, and the opposing Spymaster takes his turn giving a clue.
  • (Revealing an enemy agent also functionally gives the enemy team a point--the agents don't care who reveals them.)
  • If a Courier ever selects the Assassin, the game immediately ends, and the Courier's team immediately loses the game.
  • First side to have all their agents revealed wins the game.

:siren:CRYPTOGRAPHER'S GUIDELINES:siren:
Spymasters must not violate any of the following rules.
  • Clues cannot contain words present on the game field. This includes partial words--TABLE is an illegal clue if TABLET is in play. (Note that "revealing" a word removes that word from play, making it a valid clue for other words later.)
  • You also cannot use variations or derivatives of the words on the field. If BROKEN is on the field, BREAKING or BREAKAGE are illegal.
  • Homophones are also illegal. If BREAK is on the field, BRAKE is not a valid clue.
  • Spymasters may only use English words. Foreign words are okay if they're common loanwords (like STRUDEL or SCHADENFREUDE or whatever).
  • Proper nouns and compound words are okay. NEW YORK, BARACK OBAMA. and SELF-DESTRUCT are all valid. You don't get to make up proper nouns out of whole cloth, though. SIR LUNAR SQUID is not a valid clue for MOON and OCTOPUS.
  • The second part of a clue (the number) cannot be itself a hint. CITRUS: 8 is not a valid clue for LEMON and OCTOPUS.
  • That said, the first part of a clue can be a letter or number, provided the letter or number is related to the meaning of the word, rather than the orthography. THREE: 2 is a valid clue for TRIANGLE and PENNY, but not JAW and EYE. X: 2 is a valid clue for RAY and FILE, but not EXACT and AXE.
  • Spymasters may not give any sort of extraneous communication in-thread, such as "This clue is a longshot, but..." Just say the loving clue and nothing but the clue.

If there is a dispute, I will ask the spymaster to explain their logic to me via PM. If I'm not satisfied by the explanation, I'll declare the clue INVALID. If a Spymaster gives an INVALID clue, that team's turn immediately ends, and the enemy Spymaster may reveal one of their agents on the board for free. I reserve the right to be as lenient or draconian as I drat well please.

Spymasters have a few special clues they can give. FEATHER: 0 is a valid clue, meaning "none of our words relate to feathers." Alternately, FEATHERS: UNLIMITED is also a valid clue. In either case, the team may guess as many words as they wish, until they guess a wrong word or pass the turn.

Also, for this thread, I'm engaging an optional rule: Rhyming clues are completely allowed. KNIGHT is a valid clue for FIGHT. Of course, Spymasters can't tell their Couriers that they're using a rhyming clue, however. Have fun with that.

:siren: SPECIAL THREAD RULES :siren:
In order to keep the thread moving, I'm implementing a time limit. A team has 24 hours from the timestamp of the spymaster's clue to make official guesses. After the 24 hour mark, you can keep guessing...but the enemy Spymaster may end your turn immediately by posting their own clue.

Likewise, Spymasters have exactly 48 hours after the enemy turn has ended (from a pass or a bad guess) to issue a clue. If they don't make the deadline, I will treat it as an invalid clue. (If a Spymaster has an extenuating circumstance, they can PM me.)

All game communication must be in the thread itself. Until game end, Spymasters may say nothing to their Couriers except clues. Couriers can say whatever the hell they want, but must do so in full view of the enemy team. The peanut gallery can cheer/mock as they like, but can't help either team.

Official clues and guesses should use this format: ## BODYPILLOW: 4 or ## GUESS ANIME. Bold, allcaps, with # signs. This makes it much easier for me to find when scanning pages of thread chatter.

:siren: SIGNUPS :siren:

I need eight players for the initial game. Signup by posting ## MISSION ACCEPTED below. Please specify which team you want (red/blue/don't care) to be on and what role you want (spymaster/courier/don't care). ADDENDUM: Please also specify whether or not you have PMs. You must have PMs enabled to be a Spymaster.

I intend to run multiple games so long as interest holds, so if you miss your chance, you'll be added to the queue for future games and/or substitutes as necessary.

This OP will self-destruct in 30 minutes.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

CURRENT GAME

RED TEAM :china:
rchandra (spymaster)
ETB
Cocks Cable
OmegaGoo

BLUE TEAM :911:
Barry Shitpeas (spymaster)
Little Mac
Ripley
Hauki

TEAM DUMB LOSER :ussr:
Joseph Stalin
Nikita Khrushchev
Leonid Brezhnev
Mkhail Gorbachev

QUEUE
Max Peck
BonHair (c)
Aston (s)
Chekans 3 16
Fat Turkey (s)
silvergoose
Some Numbers (b)
unpronounceable (b)
ExtrudeAlongCurve
burger time
The Minister
tofes
ETB (rs)
OmegaGoo
Phi Fi Fo Fum (c)
Little Mac
Ripley
ActingPower

(If you haven't played before, you'll get added to the front of the queue on signup.)

Mission 1
Mission 2
Mission 3
Mission 4
Mission 5
Mission 6
Mission 7
Mission 8
Mission 9
Mission 10
Mission 11

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 4, 2015

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
## MISSION ACCEPTED

Would be glad to play Spymaster for either team.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

## MISSION ACCEPTED

I will play anything for any team, with preference to red :ussr:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
##MISSION ACCEPTED

I'd prefer Blue Team and will accept any role.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I assume guesses are simply first come first serve, if a courier guesses before another courier, is the result: first courier's guess resolves, if it's correct, second courier's guess resolves?

I'll join in, this shouldn't be an insane commitment mehopes!

##MISSION ACCEPTED

Don't care about team. I've played several times in person, I'm happy being a spymaster if desired.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I assume guesses are simply first come first serve, if a courier guesses before another courier, is the result: first courier's guess resolves, if it's correct, second courier's guess resolves?

Yep. Seems the only sane way to do it, given the format. I'm actually hoping the time pressure will give the teams a bit of an itchy trigger finger, so we're not sitting around while the Couriers discuss themselves in circles.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

##MISSION ACCEPTED

You don't choose the life, it chooses you. So I'm good with any role and team.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
##MISSION ACCEPTED

I'll join TEAM RED :ussr:, no preference regarding the role.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

## MISSION ACCEPTED Will play in the :ussr: team

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
## MISSION ACCEPTED

Any team is fine, would prefer spymaster but agent is also fine

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
##mission accepted for substitution

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

And that's eight!

TEAM BLUE
Blackmongoose (spymaster)
silvergoose
SilverMike
Some Numbers

TEAM RED
Merauder (spymaster)
Tekopo
Lichtenstein
BonHair

Fellis will be added to the substitute list.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
## MISSION ACCEPTED e: for next time I guess! :haw:

Team discussion might need to work out some kinks to find a system that works. I think maybe whoever first proposes a guess should be the one to pull the trigger on it and make the actual matching ## GUESS [WORD] post after any discussion is done on it. Otherwise no one knows who has 'right of way' on a guess under discussion, so to speak.

vvv I was thinking more team communication agreement wise rather than rules-wise, but I'm probably putting the horse before the cart worrying about it.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 6, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

## MISSION ACCEPTED e: for next time I guess! :haw:

Team discussion might need to work out some kinks to find a system that works. I think maybe whoever first proposes a guess should be the one to pull the trigger on it and make the actual matching ## GUESS [WORD] post after any discussion is done on it. Otherwise no one knows who has 'right of way' on a guess under discussion, so to speak.

My question and the answer pretty much resolved this; anyone has the right to conclude discussion and guess. If two people do that at once, whoever guessed first happens, followed by the next if successful. I would say, if that would be the "final" guess maybe let the 2nd one confirm that they want that to be the +1 guess, otherwise it might be completely unintended.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

:ussr: RED TEAM STARTS :ussr:
(This means that Red has nine agents to activate, and blue has eight.)

president
urge
nuisance
workshop
tense
invalid
gasoline
kidnapping
dealing
tender
seven
heap
listener
name
concentration
fuss
chest
sun
desert
numeral
want
female
fallacy
squeeze
conception

(Thread secret: I'm doing this from work, and I don't have my copy with me. So I'm using Random.Org and a random word generator. If anyone has a problem with not playing the game as given by the One True Vlaada to his children, you can duck out now.)

The Master Key has been sent to Merauder and Blackmongoose.

MISSION ONE | TURN ONE
:siren::ussr: RED SPYMASTER (Merauder), submit your clue! :ussr::siren:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Here's red team's first clue:

## PREGNANCY: 2

Merauder fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 6, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Merauder posted:

removing non-info from quote

Here's red team's first clue:

Pregnancy - 2

Remember to use hashes and bold! Also, don't say poo poo like that, it can provide information even if you don't know it. Just the clue and the number. ##backseatmodding

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 6, 2015

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

silvergoose posted:

Remember to use hashes and bold! Also, don't say poo poo like that, it can provide information even if you don't know it. Just the clue and the number. ##backseatmodding

Whoops, missed the formatting on the clue submissions. Fixed!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm pretty sure conception would fit as well as female?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, that seems like a safe, easy clue. I'm with Tekopo on these two.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Total agreement! Never hold off!

## Conception

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

BonHair posted:

Total agreement! Never hold off!

## Conception

:ussr: may guess again!

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 6, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

## female

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

## female

:ussr:, will you take a stab in the dark? (If not, someone please say ##Pass.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Only wreckers and reactionaries stab in the dark ## pass

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

MISSION ONE | TURN TWO
:siren::911: BLUE SPYMASTER (blackmongoose), submit your clue! :911::siren:

president
urge
nuisance
workshop
tense
invalid
gasoline
kidnapping
dealing
tender
seven
heap
listener
name
concentration
fuss
chest
sun
desert
numeral
want
:ussr:
fallacy
squeeze
:ussr:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
## DESIRE - 2

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"Want" seems pretty obvious; I think the second might be "urge?"

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

They sound like the best fitting choices, I'm onboard for them.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
This game already looks amazing. I'm not usually one for pbps, but I can't resist.

##MISSION ACCEPTED - In the queue for a blue courier.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

##Want

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

:911: may guess again!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah looks good to me. Full agreement! ##urge

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gutter Owl, that picture is amazing.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Yeah looks good to me. Full agreement! ##urge

:911:, take the risk or pass?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I'd love to get in on this game. ##MISSION ACCEPTED, put me on the backburner for red, either position.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm content to stop. Silver people?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Never ever guess unless you got one wrong earlier. ##pass

No seriously only if you're like way behind and want to take a 1/10 chance to not lose or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Never ever guess unless you got one wrong earlier. ##pass

No seriously only if you're like way behind and want to take a 1/10 chance to not lose or w/e.

I'm 100% okay deferring to you.

• Locked thread