Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

[Recommended Listening: Rolling Down the Street, In My Katamari by Fearofdark]

Katamari Damacy is an odd little puzzle-action game for the PlayStation 2 in 2004. Despite not selling particularly well at release, it’s considered a sleeper hit due to its lasting success, having permeated gamer culture with its sense of style and humor, and having spawned numerous sequels across multiple platforms. Katamari Damacy is known for its quirky, almost surrealist humor and its charming art style, combined with simple but satisfying gameplay backed by a diverse and entertaining soundtrack. It was created by a man named Keita Takahashi, who stated that he was never interested in Katamari being touted as innovative or creative; rather, he just wanted to see silly, simple fun return to video games. In addition, the development team aimed to maintain four key points throughout the development of the game: novelty, ease of understanding, enjoyment, and humor. Personally, I think they succeeded, since the Katamari series is some of the most fun I’ve had with video games.

In Katamari Damacy, you play as the miniscule Prince of All Cosmos, who wakes up one day to find that his father the King of All Cosmos got drunk and destroyed all of the stars in the galaxy, as well as the moon. Of course, he won’t be taking care of the problem himself, as that’s too much work for a busy man like the King. Instead, he gives the Prince a sticky ball-like device called the Katamari, which allows the Prince to pick up any item and allow the Katamari to grow, eventually making it large enough to become a star with the King’s power. And so the Prince is tasked with returning all of the starts to the night sky with the help of these Katamaris.

I’m ChorpSaway and I’ll be at the helm of this Katamari. In the back seat I have my buddies JordanKai, TheJayOfSpade, and FutureFriend. Together we’ll reform the celestial bodies and try our best to have fun and be entertaining along the way. The commentary will probably be less focused than some of our other projects due to the nature of the game, but we’ll make sure to point out the exciting bits in the world of Katamari.

I will be collecting all of the additional playable characters and accessories that you can wear. They don’t do anything to the gameplay, but they definitely add to the experience. I’ll show off all of the accessories during the main game, and I’ll do some multiplayer videos to show off some of the extra characters.

The King of All Cosmos
The ruler over all the cosmos and the cause of the universe’s current mess. The King is known for his flamboyant personality, forgetfulness, and love of rolling up objects.

The Prince of All Cosmos
The son of the King of All Cosmos and the one currently dealing with the universe’s current mess. Despite being constantly told what to do, the Prince puts his all into everything he does, and always does his best. The Prince is growing stronger and more mature every day. Still very small though.

Foomin
One of the Prince's many cousins. Very fashion conscious. She seems to get along with Shikao, and asks him to tape things for her a lot.

Fujio
One of the Prince's many cousins. One of the best-liked members of the Royal Family. But not a happy camper when woken up in the morning.

Kuro
One of the Prince’s many cousins. A solitude loving lone-wolf. He dislikes forming bonds, but We heard he ended up here after getting lost.

Marcy
One of the Prince’s many cousins. She's very temperamental. On weekends, she can't decide whether to stay in or go out.
In the original Katamari Damacy, she was purple. Afterwards, she discovered fashion and moved to a more colorful design, which you can see here.

Jungle
One of the Prince's many cousins. He loves playing hide-and-seek, but he hides in the same place every time.

Nik
One of the Prince’s many cousins. Loves eating, and has mastered the art of talking with a full mouth. Nobody understands a word.

Peso
One of the Prince's many cousins. Came all this way to be a star dancer, but he hasn't had a lot of opportunities for that this time around.

Odeko
One of the Prince's many cousins. He's so vain he even stretched his head in order to look taller. Tries to act nonchalant.

Shikao
One of the Prince's many cousins. He's very square. He came to Earth to check out all the new TV programs.

Honey
One of the Prince's many cousins. She always messes things up, but it's hard to hate her because she's so cute!

Marny
One of the Prince's many cousins. He can withstand high water pressure. He doesn't even appear to be a blood relative.

Velvet
One of the Prince's many cousins. So haughty that she actually floats 2cm off the ground.

Nickel
One of the Prince's many cousins. He can move around for an hour for every 6 hours of charge. He doesn't speak much to save his battery.

Ace
One of the Prince’s many cousins. He loves staring into the mirror. Always wants to look good to others, but no one is actually watching.

Opeo
One of the Prince's many cousins. He looks ill all the time, but contrary to his sickly appearance, he has an intense vitality.

Colombo
One of the Prince's many cousins. He dislikes summer because of his thick body hair. He and Lalala are mutually attracted.

Ichigo
One of the Prince's many cousins. She's very jealous, and always wants to be the center of attention. She considers Honey to be her rival.

Lalala
One of the Prince's many cousins. A true free spirit, hating even the confines of clothing. Some call it exhibitionism.

Havana
One of the Prince's many cousins. Takes up too much space in group photos, so he has a solo portrait taken on a separate day.

Johnson
One of the Prince's many cousins. From the side, he looks exactly like the prince seen from the back. Not even We can tell them apart.

[Edited to reduce flashing colors][The original picture, unedited]
June
One of the Prince’s many cousins. Born in June and a complete innocent. Jokes are completely lost on her. It always rains when she goes out.

Miso
One of the Prince's many cousins. She pretends to be thinking and is blissfully free of anything resembling thought.

Dipp
One of the Prince's many cousins. He lives for attention and goes clubbing with Peso every night.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

I drew this massive poster of all the Katamari cousins hanging out together! (Spoilers for the Katamari cousins!)

Ometeotl shows us a promising future for the Prince!

tlarn shares a dual-screen Cousin design!

ElTipejoLoco combines several Jughead Factz together to produce a stunning image!

ultrabindu shows us one of the most fearsome Cousins in hip-hop, whose Katamari looks like a diamond skull!

ultrabindu seems to have combined a couple Prince! Is Photoshop a type of katamari?

ElTipejoLoco does some Katamari dog designs, and also illustrates one of our worst jokes!

ultrabindu hacks into Space OKCupid to show us some ~private~ info on the King!

ElTipejoLoco gets in the Mad Max mood!

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 26, 2015

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren:UPDATE TIME!:siren:

Levels Explored: Make a Star 1, Make a Star 2

LPing isn’t just a hobby; it’s a job now. We have to roll up ALL these stars before anyone notices, so get your friends together and let’s get rolling already!

I’ll be using these posts to share the music of the game as well, since it plays an important part in setting the mood of the game and such!

Opening
Katamari on the Rocks ~ Main Theme

The King of All Cosmos
Fugue #7777

Make a Star 1
Wanda Wanda

Additional Rules
Katamari Nah-Nah

The King’s Analysis
Lovely Angel

Results
Stardust Fanfare

Home Planet
The Wonderful Star's Walk is Wonderful (Walking on a Star!)

Make a Star 2
The Moon and the Prince

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Let the record show that I think Granola is good and an essential part of a balanced diet.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Miso is the best of the Prince's cousins and I'll hear nothing different.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is a good thread for a good game in a good series.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Hey, one of my favourite games of all time! I can pick these games up and replay them any time, especially We Heart Katamari.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
This game has one of the all time great soundtracks. I now have almost all of them running through my head at once.

fillertrack
Aug 5, 2015
Katamari was a good rear end game and has aged fairly well for a PS2 game. Need to replay it some time. Really needs a sequel on modern hardware. Have a lot more items with fine detail and larger levels. Maybe throw in some destructo physics to break down structures into manageable pieces. Or maybe give the prince a sword and give him some sweet zandatsu moves to break buildings.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
I only got a chance to play the original Katamari Damacy briefly at a friends place. Haven't been able to find it reasonably priced yet. Played through We <3 Katamari and loved it, so i'm looking forward to seeing this through!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Freaking love Katamari! Still keep the old PS2 hooked up just to play this game.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Also if you have Twitter and already like Katamari, you should probably follow Katamari Collection, an account that's cataloging every rollable item in the entire series one at a time.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

quote:

false

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
God I love this music AND this game.

Also, there wasn't enough sexy descriptions of granola.:colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

depends on the peach. and the butt.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

fillertrack posted:

Katamari was a good rear end game and has aged fairly well for a PS2 game. Need to replay it some time. Really needs a sequel on modern hardware. Have a lot more items with fine detail and larger levels. Maybe throw in some destructo physics to break down structures into manageable pieces. Or maybe give the prince a sword and give him some sweet zandatsu moves to break buildings.

Katamari Rising would be a really good game. You could take the stretching mechanics from Touch My Katamari and make it so that you could squish the Katamari at different angles to cut through different items. Fund it.

Grimwit posted:

God I love this music AND this game.

Also, there wasn't enough sexy descriptions of granola.:colbert:

Okay but like we gave you an ASMR recording of Jay sensually eating granola in episode 1. We've got a lot of ground to cover both in the game and granola so let's just take things slow for now.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Levels Explored: Make Cancer, Make a Star 3

Today marks our first attempt at a constellation, with comes with a slightly different rule than just making a bigger star. Is the Prince up to the task? Find out today as we discuss crab facts and out-of-print soda varieties!

New Cousin

Havana
One of the Prince's many cousins. Takes up too much space in group photos, so he has a solo portrait taken on a separate day.

New Music
Opening 2
Overture

Make Cancer
Katamari Mambo

Make a Star 3
Gin & Tonic & Red Red Roses (A Crimson Rose and a Gin Tonic)

Also, my favorite item description from something we pick up in this video:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

"The Vault in Our Stars" was my joke and Chorps stole it from me without paying licensing fees. :mad:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's funny. All astrological sign names in Dutch are common language versions of the Latin words English speakers use. I guess the Latin terms make astrology sound more profound/magic/whatever? I always found it a bit of a strange difference between languages.

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

drat, King is mean. Why did he put that chef's hat in such a large box?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's funny. All astrological sign names in Dutch are common language versions of the Latin words English speakers use. I guess the Latin terms make astrology sound more profound/magic/whatever? I always found it a bit of a strange difference between languages.
For history reasons Latin has some prestige in the English language, so English speakers use Latin words for things like scientific terminology (or just to make things sound fancy), while a lot of Germanic languages just use the word in their native language.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Riobs posted:

drat, King is mean. Why did he put that chef's hat in such a large box?

Well, he didn't want to crush it. A crushed chef's hat would have made a terrible gift.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
It's sometimes hard to hear with the commentary, but this game has an amazing soundtrack. A Crimson Rose and a Gin Tonic is one of my favourites from this game, so please check out those music links if you haven't heard them before.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That thread tag :allears: This game is great, and I remember my fiancee being really big into the iOS port in like 2009. Also the Katamari main theme is a really dangerous thing to have play over your car's speakers! (yes I know xkcd made this joke but I had it happen in real life first dammit)

Also yes, the best part about the King is Their record-scratch voice. Their theme also makes me smile pretty hard.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Please wear the scarf forever.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

My copy of Katamari Forever arrived today!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Tin Hat posted:

My copy of Katamari Forever arrived today!

drat you for that is the one game in the series I can't play. I will forever be taunted with missing out on the Robo-King and also the cousin that is a uni-wheel car.
But hope you enjoy it!

asymmetrical posted:

Please wear the scarf forever.

Look I'm not saying that we might get a cooler scarf later but we might get a cooler scarf later and also some real good accessories. I may bring the scarf back though later.

JordanKai posted:

"The Vault in Our Stars" was my joke and Chorps stole it from me without paying licensing fees. :mad:

What're you gonna do, probate me???
...Ah dammit I forgot you were made mod forget I said that actually you are very cool and handsome.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

drat you for that is the one game in the series I can't play. I will forever be taunted with missing out on the Robo-King and also the cousin that is a uni-wheel car.
But hope you enjoy it!
Almost all of the maps are from previous games, and all the music is remixed stuff. It's actually kind of a let-down, even though the end result is "oh no I have to play all these games that I love over again".

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Tin Hat posted:

Almost all of the maps are from previous games, and all the music is remixed stuff. It's actually kind of a let-down, even though the end result is "oh no I have to play all these games that I love over again".

This isn't QUITE true. Half of the levels are remixed versions of classic levels, but Robo-King's side of the game is entirely new content. Also the music remixes are all awesome.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Agent Interrobang posted:

This isn't QUITE true. Half of the levels are remixed versions of classic levels, but Robo-King's side of the game is entirely new content. Also the music remixes are all awesome.
I'm almost done Robo-King's levels and I only spotted two new maps with three stages between them. Have you played Beautiful Katamari? The lion's share of the game is taken from that one (as well as We Love Katamari).

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Tin Hat posted:

I'm almost done Robo-King's levels and I only spotted two new maps with three stages between them. Have you played Beautiful Katamari? The lion's share of the game is taken from that one (as well as We Love Katamari).

Ah, fair point. I did miss Beautiful. I still LIKE Katamari Forever but it is definitely more of a nostalgia trip than anything else.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

ChorpSaway posted:

Look I'm not saying that we might get a cooler scarf later but we might get a cooler scarf later and also some real good accessories. I may bring the scarf back though later.
I give you permission to Upgrade Scarf.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Levels Explored: Make a Star 4, Make Cygnus

Today, we continue working in the background with the hope that we can finish before the news of the King's destruction gets too widespread! We have plenty of bird and egg facts to talk about as we rebuild Cygnus, we discuss the true danger of cymbal monkeys, and FutureFriend shames the Prince's chef hat!

New Cousins

Lalala
One of the Prince's many cousins. A true free spirit, hating even the confines of clothing. Some call it exhibitionism.

Jungle
One of the Prince's many cousins. He loves playing hide-and-seek, but he hides in the same place every time.

New Music
Make a Star 4
Lonely Rolling Star

Make Cygnus
Que Sera Sera

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Cool, the two best songs in the game.

Oh, and from earlier: PET Bottles are just water bottles, PET is an abbreviation for a type of plastic (polyethylene terephthalate, to be specific. Pretty obvious why there's an abbreviation, eh?) used mostly for bottles and clothing (as polyester). Probably the only time my job will ever be relevant, even tangentially, in an LP thread.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Made a messy-rear end doodle for another person's stream but it's relevant here too.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Agent Interrobang posted:

Ah, fair point. I did miss Beautiful. I still LIKE Katamari Forever but it is definitely more of a nostalgia trip than anything else.
I take back a lot of the bad things about the game now that I've seen Katamari Drive. I wish you could turn off some of the new graphics though like the black and white, it makes some of the more gimmicky levels extremely hard.

EDIT: The game gets really choppy at some points too which is surprising as it's not much more advanced than the PS2 games

Tippecanoe fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 21, 2015

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
Oh man, I am loving the hell outta this LP. Non stop chuckle fest. I'm either giggling, face-palming (from dad joke esque material), or losing my poo poo. I only wish the updates were more than weekly, cuz this is too good. Please tell me you'll be tackling the other games once this one is over.

fillertrack
Aug 5, 2015
I found out I had a copy of KD just sitting in the digital ether of my PS3. Going back to it was pretty fun. I wasn't good enough so the King chastised the Prince a lot. The King is a very strict dad because he cares. Also that bear buckle. I like to think he wrestled a bear and took his title as champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

My favourite thing about this game is the sound that cats make when you roll into them. It's the shortest "meow" ever.

Number two is, naturally, the King's "Live Strong" ankle bracelet.

• Locked thread