Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

tlarn posted:

Made a messy-rear end doodle for another person's stream but it's relevant here too.

Bless you both for your contributions. :allears: Guess I can put more stuff in the fanart section!

K-ParAdoX posted:

Oh man, I am loving the hell outta this LP. Non stop chuckle fest. I'm either giggling, face-palming (from dad joke esque material), or losing my poo poo. I only wish the updates were more than weekly, cuz this is too good. Please tell me you'll be tackling the other games once this one is over.

Aw shucks, I'm flattered! We didn't really have plans to do anything after the first one but who knows??? I've changed my LP plans enough times that it could be anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Levels Explored: Make a Star 5, Make Corona Borealis

Today we're putting on our championship belt to show that we mean business! The King convinces the young Prince to commit petty theft for his amusement and decides to take a quick trip to Japan. Meanwhile, FutureFriend is gonna tell us all about the illustrious Archie Comics canon and possibilities of political commentary in Katamari!

New Cousins

Johnson
One of the Prince's many cousins. From the side, he looks exactly like the prince seen from the back. Not even We can tell them apart.

Odeko
One of the Prince's many cousins. He's so vain he even stretched his head in order to look taller. Tries to act nonchalant.

New Music
Make a Star 5
You Are Smart

Make Corona Borealis
Katamaritaino (Roll Me In)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The tiny green elephant of the Netherlands is my spirit animal.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In the first level, between the people you kidnapped then killed to make stardust, there was a Greatx3 Grandpa. Poor guy, living impossibly long only to die that way.

There was also Koichi Hayase. I guess being kidnapped and fused into a ball is part of becoming a hero.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I never played this game but I did play the second quite a lot and as I recall one of the levels was a couple asking to be rolled up on their honeymoon because being rolled up is quite a pleasant experience and everything rolled up is returned when the star/stardust is made because the king doesn't particularly need the objects he just needs the size to copy or something.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I am happy that I am now far more well-informed about Jughead than I was 30 minutes ago, thanks for that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jughead imported Idolmaster 2 simply because it has this song.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
You guys are so weird, I dig it. Between the Jughead Fact guy talking about being accidentally amused by someone dying up the street from him to the BK Anime, I had a lot of :v: going on. I kind of want to reinstall I think We <3 Katamari back on my 360. So fun, so weird. Makes for the strangest conversation, apparently.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Did you know that for a while, there was an in-character BBS blog for The King Of All Cosmos, who answered questions about Katamari Damacy? It's true! I saved a copy of a translation about a decade ago, and managed to keep it with me.

quote:

This BBS, formerly the corner acting as the establishment known as "Katamari on the Web," contains the contents of the King's one-sided dispatches. As has been the case in the past, we do not currently accept submissions.

--------------------------------------------------

Masa
2004/3/15(mon) 18:24 No.001
First post!

The King
2004/3/16(tue) 03:15
Go home.

Yoppi
2004/3/15(mon) 21:13 No.002  
Pleased to meet you, your majesty. I have a question.
What is the antenna on the prince's head?
I won't be able to sleep until I find out.

The King
2004/3/16(tue) 03:18
Isn't it a handle?
It's so easy to pick him up by it.

Hoshino Mutsuo
2004/3/16(tue) 15:43 No.003
Hello, your majesty.
What happens to the animals and people you roll up?

The King
2004/3/16(tue) 20:06
They become happy.

Chabashira-tachi Otto
2004/3/16(tue) 21:18 No.004
Sorry for the rude question, but why is there a time limit?
Wouldn't it be okay to take your time?

The King
2004/3/17(wed) 03:15
If you don't get the stars back by nightfall,
don't you think everyone will be mad at me?

aaaa
2004/3/17(wed) 01:36 No.005
Hello. I have a question.
Why do things stick to the katamari?
It's got to be magic.

The King
2004/3/17(wed) 03:22
Can't you see the thin hands coming out of the center of the ball?
They wind themselves around things.

If you've got the kind of free time to wonder about things like that, you could at least come up with a name.

Deko Hachi
2004/3/18(thu) 18:15 No.006
If you make the katamari really big, angel-like things
come swooping down, but who are they?

The King
2004/3/18(thu) 21:10
Oh, you saw them?
They're my ancestors.

Look a bit like flies, don't they.

Poko Tan
2004/3/19(fri) 03:41 No.007
Hello! ♪(^o^)/
What's in the bag (?_?) on the top of your head?
I'm really curious! (T_T) Please tell me! ♪

The King
2004/3/19(fri) 04:01
I said no obscene questions! \■`仝´■/

Masa
2004/3/20(sat) 00:24 No.008
I know you just started, but shouldn't there be more here?

Hitokoto
2004/3/21(sun) 11:23 No.009
Sorry for the rude question.
It seems that you broke the stars all by yourself, your majesty,
so isn't it a little irresponsible to make your son replace them all?

The King
2004/3/21(sun) 17:14
I said that I was making them, too.
Have you really played the game?
Don't just ignore what I say. Honestly.

Hoshino Mutsuo
2004/3/23(tue) 15:12 No.010
What's that "rainbow" that comes out of your mouth?

The King
2004/3/23(tue) 16:40
What we call a "rainbow" is what happens
when drops of water suspended in the air refract light,
disassembling it into a colorful display.

By the way, in Japan there are seven colors,
but depending on the country, it seems that people may count differently.

How about that!

The original page was located here, but it's long been deleted.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

quote:

aaaa
2004/3/17(wed) 01:36 No.005
Hello. I have a question.
Why do things stick to the katamari?
It's got to be magic.

The King
2004/3/17(wed) 03:22
Can't you see the thin hands coming out of the center of the ball?
They wind themselves around things.

If you've got the kind of free time to wonder about things like that, you could at least come up with a name

:staredog:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

K-ParAdoX posted:

You guys are so weird, I dig it. Between the Jughead Fact guy talking about being accidentally amused by someone dying up the street from him to the BK Anime, I had a lot of :v: going on.

It's great isn't it? I love how many group LPs have started showing up in the forum. There's this, the Lost Odyssey and Wind Waker ones. And Kamoc's Dead Space thing too.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I haven't played this game in forever; I completely forgot about the random cutscenes with the family and cosmos girl :3:

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011
I was in Sendai studying abroad when this game came out. My friend came back from a downtown trip and said, "I saw advertisements for this crazy PS2 game on NHK. I got it for 2000 yen [about twenty bucks, an absurdly small amount of money], and now we have to play it." What he brought back to the dormitory was a brilliant work of deliberate Japanese absurdism. For something to trip our crazy-o-meters in Japan it had to have been WAY over the top, and references from Katamari quickly started infecting our fledgling expat student culture. I'm not really sure how to describe the experience of witnessing this game in the context of an American abroad in Japan. I guess it's something like watching the birth of an entire family of memes. It was weird, amazing, and awe-inspiring.

I assumed something so bizarre and Japanese would never make its way to the US. And then I came home, and within a few months it got a quiet release here, and the rest of you wonderful bastards got to experience all of its unadulterated, incomprehensible glory. When I raved at people and yelled at them to play this game, everyone looked at me like I'd grown a second head. It doesn't matter. I hope the twisted salaryman exec who greenlit this game for international release got a promotion and a big fat stack of cash, because the world needed to see it.

Also, the music is absolutely amazing and fits the game perfectly, and I will engage in fisticuffs anyone who disagrees with me.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Since we missed a week, let's make this week a double feature!
In the first update, we start to expand our horizons as we roll around the world, and we also face one of the most infamous levels in Katamari! We can bear-ly contain our excitement as we talk about Samurai Shodown, old people, and whether or not FutureFriend could kill a polar bear!
In the bonus update, I meet up with real life friend Amber to play some of the competitive multiplayer mode in Katamari Damacy! Consensus: it's fun and cool! Just like the rest of the game! Also we're not so hot at the game as it turns out.

New Cousins

Honey
One of the Prince's many cousins. She always messes things up, but it's hard to hate her because she's so cute!

Peso
One of the Prince's many cousins. Came all this way to be a star dancer, but he hasn't had a lot of opportunities for that this time around.

dancingbears posted:

Did you know that for a while, there was an in-character BBS blog for The King Of All Cosmos, who answered questions about Katamari Damacy? It's true! I saved a copy of a translation about a decade ago, and managed to keep it with me.

This is amazing. :allears:

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm so glad someone made this joke for me.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the mom's line delivery for that Star level was ominous as hell. :staredog:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The premise of the 2P mode of Katamari is hilarious. The King of All Cosmos is such a glorious rear end in a top hat. "Well I guess you're my kid now, you're a lot better at this thing the Prince does."

Waffleman_ posted:

Jughead fact: help i can't stop laughing.

Also I think he provided vocals at 1:33

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I still have super fond memories of playing this game over a decade ago. :unsmith:

Although I also remember that playing it so much made it so that when my mind was wandering at work, I'd look around and try to mentally sort out how to roll up all the objects in my immediate environment in the most efficient manner.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
Oh man, I thought y'all stopped playing this. Glad to see this back... with all it's weirdness and mixing up rappers in a totally not racist way. I swear, the entire video I'm either going "what... the gently caress", or laughing way too loud. You guys are so odd and I love it. The skater boy joke, I think I woke people up.

Also gently caress that bear level or any Katamari level that's basically Where's Waldo on steroids.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

K-ParAdoX posted:

mixing up rappers in a totally not racist way.

i can verify that atleast one of us is a big racist, gotta wait until the end of the lp to find out who though!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

FutureFriend posted:

i can verify that atleast one of us is a big racist, gotta wait until the end of the lp to find out who though!

The laws of mysteries show that whoever brings up a bad thing is usually the one behind it.
So when did you find out you were a big racist, Mr. FF?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm loving the notifications of "your katamari is the size of 131257 mosquitoes" or whatever arbitrarily oddly specific large number was in the video :allears:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 12, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is it arbitrary, though? I always thought that the game knew how big every object in the game was, and could calculate how big your katamari was in relation to cows or sunflowers.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is it arbitrary, though? I always thought that the game knew how big every object in the game was, and could calculate how big your katamari was in relation to cows or sunflowers.

Yeah it does do calculations, but the game chooses any item that you've picked up for comparison. So sometimes it's "You're as big as a house" or "You're as big as 46 cows" or "You're as big as 47603 yen coins".

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004

ChorpSaway posted:

Yeah it does do calculations, but the game chooses any item that you've picked up for comparison. So sometimes it's "You're as big as a house" or "You're as big as 46 cows" or "You're as big as 47603 yen coins".

To stick with the running theme of the video, "You're as big as 0.002 of a Kanje ego."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's an accurate number, I just used the wrong word to describe it. My bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jughead Fact: Jughead is as big as 50 dogs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Arbitrary as in what object it decides to compare the size of your Katamari to.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I overreacted to a poor word choice, my bad.

Jughead fact: Jughead's crown is actually a fedora with the brim turned up and cut into scallops.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Jughead fact: Jughead's crown is actually a fedora with the brim turned up and cut into scallops.

please do not slander my good friend, jughead

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I overreacted to a poor word choice, my bad.

Jughead fact: That was an actual, period style

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
whoopee cap fact: No for real those were usually made from felt fedoras. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoopee_cap

Truly, their loss is a tragedy, as there's 1 less reason in the world to destroy a fedora.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FicusArt posted:

Truly, their loss is a tragedy, as there's 1 less reason in the world to destroy a fedora.

You can do it, you can bring it back. I have faith in you.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Who has the lyrics to roll over the world and become King of all the Cosmos?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

ultrabindu posted:

Shaft! Wait...

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Levels Explored: Make a Star 7, Make Pisces

Today, we return from a moving-induced break to bring you an update on the star situation! The family is on their way to the space station, so it's even more of an imperative to finish up quick! But we also need to keep the sea of stars fresh, so we look into picking up fish. Join us today as we consider fish, Jeff Goldblum, and the Donkey Kong Country TV show! Also, at the end, Jordan shares a dark secret. Make sure to stay until the end!

New Cousins

Nickel
One of the Prince's many cousins. He can move around for an hour for every 6 hours of charge. He doesn't speak much to save his battery.

Colombo
One of the Prince's many cousins. He dislikes summer because of his thick body hair. He and Lalala are mutually attracted.

New Music
Make a Star 7
Angel Flavor's Present (Angel Gifts)

Make Pisces
Cherry Blossom Color Season (Cherry Tree Times)

ultrabindu posted:

:allears: Bless you both, these are incredible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Listen....Listen, Prince, you got*urrrp*ta roll aaaaaaall this poo poo up. I hosed up, Prince, I hosed up bad, and there's no stars.

Aw geez, Dad, how...how the heck did you do that?

That's not important right now, Prince, what you gotta do is you gotta roll a Katamari so I can make more stars.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
When did Jeff Goldblum replace Matthew Broderick in Godzilla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

IAmTheRad posted:

When did Jeff Goldblum replace Matthew Broderick in Godzilla?

In our hearts.

• Locked thread