Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Man. Are you okay? Looks like you lost some time there. Take care.

Anyway, Those purple/black looking altars look like bad news. Maybe try that orange altar with the lightening? You could use some help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It is a pretty big trip down there. That amulet of yours helps you be angry at least.

You'll need some... friends while you're down there. Go ask the god of the Basalt shrine for his favor. Yredelemnul if you can pronounce it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
EDIT: Changed my vote.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 12, 2015

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Stormy anything is always the correct choice.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mehkleb!

Get fun new friends*!

who may think you're a delicious treat

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
If there's anything I've learned in life, it's the value of polytheism. Pledge yourself to each in order.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
OK, what you need to understand is these altars....they kind of TALK to you. When you get near one you get a feeling you should check it out, like walking past the kitchen and smelling brownies baking.

Then when you DO get close you can feel two things - promise, and hunger.

Promise because you experience things - visions is too strong, whispers really, all senses various times but never clear. There are names graven on them but they are faded and the ones I can see make no sense. Yredelemnul?

There are two darkened altars. The one on my left is dark because it is carved from obsidian or basalt with a frightening skeleton or wight embedded in the rock in deep purple. A calm voice offers me companions on my journey and says that even my foes will share my pain. The one on the right is dark because any light shone towards it is diminished as though shone through a hard rain. It's hard to tell, but the orb on top of this altar is darkly glowing and floating up and down above an obsidian bowl. As I approach I feel diminished myself - not insubstantial but certainly less solid. I see myself gliding through the dungeon unseen, stealing into my enemy's very shadow before striking.

These visions are very big on doing things against my "enemies" which are always something vague and bipedal. Also, that hunger - I'm being offered a lot by whatever these are. If these are gods, they are not just hungry for followers, they are starving. Desperate. I wonder how bad things must be for them to be so desperate, and what they might want from me once they have my devotion.

The bottom left altar does in fact have a permanent van de graff generator on top of it. It's kind of like the one from the Prince Sign O' The Times concert / movie in that you want to go up to it and let the lightning play over your hands as your hair stands on end. As you do that, you see the lightning and other forces of nature following you around and bouying you on your journey, and of course absolutely nuking the bejesus out of your "enemies". Then finally there is Old Flamey who is pretty much DEMON DEMON HELLFIRE THEIR DEATH IS YOUR LIFE SERVANTS BITCHES MAD CASH NO CATCHES PROMISE.

So yeah, most of these creep me out but I am leaning towards the nice skeleton man who offers me friends. Everybody can use friends, right?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Nah man. Sounds like bad news. I'd hold out on committing to anything soon. you committed to the entering this dungeon and look where it got you. Wait it out, it doesn't look like those altars are going anywhere and dark things usually want poo poo like souls or blood. What a hassle.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

These all seem like scrubs. Hold off and see if you find a more worthy god. Perhaps with a name starting with X, X is a good letter which always signifies good things.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
These plebs don't like having friends. Don't stay lonely down there and accept the nice skeleton god's offer.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Karia posted:

Worship the pagan gods. That one has lightning on their alter, they've gotta be loving awesome.

Qazlal is pretty rad and you should definitely get an ax of electricity too while you're at it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

These all seem like scrubs. Hold off and see if you find a more worthy god. Perhaps with a name starting with X, X is a good letter which always signifies good things.

Yes. X marks the spot. But if the gods are so desperate he can afford to pick and choose, if he doesn't want the current one he can always switch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wait, no. This guy seems like a chill fellow. I think we should see if there's a god which enables such a lifestyle.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Are you suggesting that he... take it easy, SirSamVines?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Araganzar posted:

does anyone have a glass of water?

Qazlal specializes in water!

also fire, wind and earth

You should go say hi!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Ramos posted:

Qazlal is pretty rad and you should definitely get an ax of electricity too while you're at it.
The problem I see with this guy/god/entity/symbiotic telepathic colony of grubs/idfk is that storms and fire and poo poo exploding all around me is going to be VERY bad for JoDogg.

SirSamVimes posted:

Arkanomen posted:

Nah man. Sounds like bad news. I'd hold out on committing to anything soon. you committed to the entering this dungeon and look where it got you. Wait it out, it doesn't look like those altars are going anywhere and dark things usually want poo poo like souls or blood. What a hassle.

Wait, are you suggesting there are MORE of these things? What's next, like frog gods and ballerina gods? A god who just messes with you all the time?

I do like the idea of a god that just wants you to chill and take it easy but I have a job to do....FIND MAH DOG. My potential pal Freddy L. Hymnal seems to be in the lead so unless there is a strong consensus to hold off I am going to wave my pinkies (or whatever it is you do for a GOD PACT) that direction.

I apparently have time to consider since I've been thinking about this about ten minutes and I see a whole drat day going by on the forums. I would be concerned but that's presently like 13th on my list of observations to be freaked out over.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Be a really gross fuckin goon who gains the favor of Beogh because he looks so much like a drat pig.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ramc posted:

Are you suggesting that he... take it easy, SirSamVines?

That is EXACTLY what I am suggesting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
On further consideration I think you should wait. None of these guys seem legit and I have a good feeling about the letter X.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

On further consideration I think you should wait. None of these guys seem legit and I have a good feeling about the letter X.

I think this last vote would have made it close but I was just popping in to say "Hi" and mention I did this:

For all the good it did. I have a sense that Yredelemnul (whose name I now know, although I still prefer Freddy Hymnal) is at best noncommital towards me and my little quest. This despite how eagerly he/she/they sought me out. I silently asked what on earth this thing wanted of me, and I got the first clear message I've received from one of these various fukken incorporeal entities all day:

kill.

Oh, also I pick up a deep and abiding hatred of all things churchy and holy. I'm good with that.

I took a brief stock of myself before heading out so you guys can see what I am working with.

Some weird-rear end poo poo, that is what I am working with. At least I have a backup slice of pizza now.

Anyway, I'm gonna go kill. I am still working on trying to remember my Secret Shaolin Monk Bo Staff moves and getting more comfortable in this armour (armor dammit, why do I keep wanting to spell it armour?). If there's anything else I should focus on let me know.

Back soon with what goes down at the bottom of this next set of stairs. My phone is using almost no charge so I'll be checking in to make sure no one is making mysterious comments.

Speaking of, what is the deal with X anyway? My desire to see both my dog and the sun again make me a little more suspicious than usual of goons being goons and acting to their delight and my detriment. However, I've found in general that as good as goons are at getting you into bad situations, they are even better at getting you out of them, or at least making you not feel so bad about it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

See? All you have to do to make him happy is do what you're already doing. Kill the critters that keep attacking you, and it's all gravy between you. Simple, yes? You made the right choice.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Yeeeeah, I'm pretty sure that's an evil god. Hopefully, it doesn't make you kill useful people. Hell, there may be shopkeepers, or friendly folk down here. Who knows!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wentley posted:

Yeeeeah, I'm pretty sure that's an evil god. Hopefully, it doesn't make you kill useful people. Hell, there may be shopkeepers, or friendly folk down here. Who knows!

Talk about judgmental, you know else who killed people? Moses. Are you going to tell me Moses is evil? :colbert:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Talk about judgmental, you know else who killed people? Moses. Are you going to tell me Moses is evil? :colbert:

Depends. Do we count Shadow Moses?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Look, I haven't killed any people yet, or anything else that wasn't already too fully committed to chewing my face off to engage in constructive dialogue.

Now, we agree it was self defense. So, you know, doesn't really matter how much of the bodies I might have or might not have eaten to survive. And if that's cool, which you know clearly it is, then anything else I might have to do to the bodies to survive, that would be okay, right?

It's okay, I mean it's okay, right? I've been asking Freddy a lot and while he's really quite the vague murmur type I do get a sense he's saying it's totally okay.

Update coming. I'm still alive. Many creatures are dead. A few others are somewhere in between.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Righto! So either we've entered into some kind of dubious and possibly unholy pact or the mushroom spores have finally made it to my brain.

Let's take the nearby stairs...

Welp! There's time to use my amulet but there is a gynormous millipede or some kind of segmented worm. Its branch on the tree of life is less important to me than the fact that THIS segmented worm has teeth. Not mandibles, big slimy kraken-gonna-eat-you TEETH.

We go upstairs.

Well, no worries, the other stairs on this level are far away from this one. I'll just pop on over to the next stair.

I don't know what the psyduck. Let's start with something yells the second my feet hit the floor.

Second, well second should be that is wearing a torn-up blue robe and carrying one of those magical flasks. But for two I am going to go with there is an ORC here.

With an AXE.

Now mind you, he's wearing some kind of skin for armor and the axe is not big. Also, he looks really less threatening and more like I just caught it shaving.

But still NO NO NO not mr ORC not mr not mr dude in front of me winding up a drat SLING. I'm out.

OK, well, what's behind door number three...

Ok WHAT.

That's the same drat orc. I saw these stairs too, but I just assumed they went somewhere else. These things aren't exactly up and down but it's close.

And now that I think about it...that area Ijyb was running from....

I'm pretty sure that's where the first stairs were! And those stairs were in near the arbitrarily bottom right of my map. I would assume my map is screwed up but these stairs are WAYYYYY too far apart.

There is some serious bullshit going on here. Oh and also I saw THIS...

We are GETTING THOSE. Somehow we are getting those.

Anyway, going up and down stairs doesn't feed Freddy so let's get rolling. I guess those first stairs are not looking so BAD NOW HUH CHUM....

There's an adder already chomping me when my boots hit the ground so LETS GET RED.

Okay I did NOT enjoy that. I don't know who put that there but I did not. It was the berserk. Purely the berserk.

I do get the sense that Freddy approves, so there is that. I am still not sure if that is good or not.

There appears to be a dead rat thing here too. God, I am starving but still, no. I've got snake. Raw meat does taste terrible. My lighter is DONE though.

I hang out VERY close to the stairs because wouldn't you? I stomp my feet a little and I get that worm to come back. I try to not look at him, I am definitely not snapping a pic, I just know he goes squish.

Then there is THIS guy...

He runs at me, I slam my staff on his head, and he's down. You may not find that entertaining but that is my kind of fight thank you sir.

MOVING ON DUM DEE DUM DUM

We GET RED on and it proves effective. We take his little potion, let's just call them potions, they clearly are a staple of this place.

Moving on, what weirdness awaits?

Okay I guess that qualifies. I am just minding my own business taking a little break NOT AT ALL chopping up an orc for food when this cute little guy comes around the corner and

raises
the
dead.

I'm really not okay with this. We had a deal, Freddie, if anyone is going to be raising the drat DEAD here it is going to be ME.

We run back into the corridor (man at least those things are SLOW) a dang snake SKELETON comes up and chomps us.

Once again, I am surprised to see the imp explode into dust with one whack from my staff and then....

Yes, yes, yes, gently caress you you undead creep. I didn't even get a high-five from Yreddy from that one.

And now, this....

Enchant Weapon, sure, sounds great. I my hands glow yellow, I grab my staff and it flashes yellow. It's all very 80's.

Scouting around, I see some really strange walls of yellow stone. I am trying to get around them when this chick in a robe comes running at me waving a dagger. I back into a nearby corridor and one of those frigging rats starts chewing my shin and I can't get past him. She stabs me once, pops off my chain, and I am just trying to you know, whack her in the face a little to get her attention, and she drops like a sack of potatoes.

Yreddy seems to be okay with it. He's really been a bro so far. He's all like murmur but I can tell he means don't worry about it dude.

I follow that yellow stone stuff around, in my flashlight beam it looks metally and sparkly. I kill a worm and get offered STR DEX INT again so I go with dex again. If I should change that, let me know.

The stone turns out to be an entrance to...

Of course, it's a giant golden altar. Not even stopping for it. Things have been weird enough. I enchant my staff some more because why not who knows and then...

Okay, I have almost stopped paying attention at this point. This is just too weird. Just an endless parade of these things roaming around and I don't know what they are killing other than things like me that drop in because they sure aren't killing each other. I'm just kind of trailing along with my hand on the right wall and I realize I haven't seen anything in a while and I still haven't found my dog and maybe I should get on that.

I guess we are going DOWN.

Things are not getting LESS weird. A scroll dedicated to being useless on a shattered altar offering me vision beyond vision.

Then we run into a scorpion. A dang three foot high don't think about it foot long SCORPION.

We go red, with predictable results....

I'm trying not to think about how many things I've killed so I'm glossing a bit. Yred likes all of it. He's really okay. All this stuff is super aggro anyway and if he likes the job I'm doing, so be it. My strategy of hitting things in the face with no regard to defense seems to be working since I am bigger or faster or have more reach than most of the stuff in here.

We kill a giant ant because I guess that's a thing now and some more adders.

There is what looks like a for-real Harry Potter wand stuck in the cobblestones, and I really want to go get it. But for some reason, I keep staring at that adder corpse.

Maybe it's the fact that I am getting so sick from that drat thing's poison I think I may die. By the way, why am I not dying from all these adder bites? I don't have time to think about that really because the voice.

It's an actual voice now. It seems warm, pleased. Like a panther that you're not sure is being sarcastic or not.

This vessel will serve you. Observe

oh my. didn't someone say the worse curse is sometimes simply being given exactly what you asked for?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Friends to the end! :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Offer your new friend a high five!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Yay friends!

Also, just a hint, Brother... Doing that takes a bit out of you. So if you're low on food, try to do it sparingly.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Did you get the bacon?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Wentley posted:

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Did you get the bacon?

Oh yeah I forgot. I did! Well, I got something! Let me show you, along with a new toy!

Drakenel posted:

Also, just a hint, Brother... Doing that takes a bit out of you. So if you're low on food, try to do it sparingly.

I do feel a bit peckish, but hands off my jerky! Wait...are you familiar with Lord Yr...with Yreddy? Have you been in this maze of random aggression?

Well, no matter. I need to get you guys caught up, because it's been a bit of a day, so I'll try to do that in a more succinct fashion than usual.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Just remember that you and your dog come first. Don't die trying to keep your zombie dudes alive. What is the point of expendable troops if you don't expend them?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Ramc posted:

Just remember that you and your dog come first. Don't die trying to keep your zombie dudes alive. What is the point of expendable troops if you don't expend them?

^ This is good advice. They may be new friends, but you can always make more. And also, anything they kill in your service pleases the Dead Lord just as much.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So yeah, that undead thing. It's definitely a big zombie snake, its skull is definitely bashed in, and it's still definitely way faster than any zombie should be.

Don't really have an issue with it. It's a tool, right? No soul or intelligence in there. I'm pretty sure that's legit. I mean, yes, the whispers in my head are huge fans of the idea, but those are just more kind of advice, suggestions, you know?

Anyway, it's not going to have any poison, so I don't see what use it's going to be unless...

Okay, Yred L, we might have a deal here. Also look at all that gold! I am grabbing it man, it looks real, I wish I knew what biting it would tell, that it's soft metal?

It's going pretty well, I got some new bling....

The amulet seemed to protect me but I can't GO RED. Not sure what to do there. Oh well!

Also once again, I get an item that protects me against something I had no idea I had to worry about. Great.

There's not much to say about the zombies. They are slow, they fight slow, they are terrible conversationalists. Making them makes you hungry and if even if you might have wanted to eat it before you animated it, you sure don't want to after.

They are still brutally effective until I run into THIS guy:

McPorty FuckFuck hits pretty hard and he wrecks all my guys. Luckily after that he is content to pop around like a jerk getting whacked in the FACE.

I'm able to replenish my ranks. It's often hard to decide whether to eat something gross or something less appealing that looks like it might fight well.

Still, Yredelemnul seems to like where I am going with it. However, as I head downstairs YET AGAIN....

Crap. Zombies can't handle stairs. But hey, mysterious noise!

I'm heading for that sand because, well, I don't know, if I were my dog I'd be doing that. But...

ok i need a few more imps to get past that

k.

Zombies and GOING RED takes care of this orc in robes before I can see what tricks he has up his sleeves. Also I am grateful for my undead slaves...allies...when an actual CENTAUR comes around the corner right after this while I am panting and wiped out from raging....

But now thanks to my other friends, he is now my friend! Thank you Lord Yredelemnul! You are all right man.

I find a scroll that turns into a map of this section of the undercaves....not going to think about how THAT works...

I find more stone like that crazy gold altar place - inside is a weird entryway with a Stargate-looking portal with sand coming out and I step in it because why not?

Oh, that's why not. Where are MY zombies? You pussies? It's just a little sand!

These guys are just little zombies, nothing like my proud (but scared of portals) forces, so I go on inside okay things get kind of real and pretty soon....

Luckily I am faster than any of these undead shits even the mummies which hit like freight trains when I get caught trying to jab them.

Some of these zombies are, like, ME sized, too. I run around in circles hitting zombies and chucking rocks at mummies until...

Okay, at least I know what the Remove Curse scrolls are for, I think! It would be hard to pee with this staff stuck to both hands.

And then there is treasure!

was this place put here by you, Lord Yred?

Thank you friends! But I could have used the backup.

What's that, Mr. Stabby? You missed me? That's so sweet! Why can't you be more like Mr. Stabby, Mr. Centuar? I am going to call you Mr. Grumpybones from now on.

SITREP REPORT
I have a staff. I have chain mail. I have zombies. I have other things, here are some of them.

I am going to poke around this level a bit more but I'm just gonna look around a little then take a break.

Thanks for the advice....I promise to hide behind Mr. Grumpybones if things get too real...

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Araganzar posted:

Still, Yredelemnul seems to like where I am going with it. However, as I head downstairs YET AGAIN....

Crap. Zombies can't handle stairs. But hey, mysterious noise!

Are you protected, OP?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Ah yes, one other thing. It sounds obvious in hindsight, but the Dead Lord doesn't appreciate holy magic or items. Try not to use items of a holy nature. (Those 'identify' scrolls will tell you if it is. If I recall, there's a kind of scroll scattered somewhere that has such an effect that would displease Him.)

Of course, keep up the good work, and he may have more gifts in store.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
You should go back to the temple and talk to that strange purple altar. Ignore the vortex and screams of the damned, Lucy is a nice lady and a very good friend to have.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

legoman727 posted:

You should go back to the temple and talk to that strange purple altar. Ignore the vortex and screams of the damned, Lucy is a nice lady and a very good friend to have.

I strongly agree with this.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

legoman727 posted:

I don't know, I hear she's kind of pushy and tries too hard at the whole "becoming your friend" thing. Not to mention she's a terrible hostess if you ever visit her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Pah, You don't need a clingy goddess nipping at your heels. Lord Yred demands little of you and rewards you well for your continued survival.

• Locked thread