Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Are there any good reads on why it took the atomic bombs for surrender rather than all the previous things that happened?

I ask this since a lot of people who consider dropping the bomb the wrong thing to do point out that Japan's situation was dire. If Japan's military was nowhere near as capable as the allies, numerous cities were burnt to ash, food shortages, etc before Hiroshima why didn't they surrender? I haven't been able to find much on why Japan didn't quit sooner from their perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

A bunch of people are going to tell you that it's because they were scared of the Soviets but that's not true; the Soviets didn't have any capacity to mount an invasion of the Japanese home islands and everyone knew it.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The hardliners in the government were batshit insane about continuing the war to the death. Especially the Imperial Army, which unlike their Navy hadn't been defeated en masse yet, and in fact had made some major territorial gains in China as late as the middle of 1944.
Thanks, but I was hoping for something more than a post.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Essentially they were willing to make him a figurehead in order to keep fighting.
Traditionally the Shogun and military had the power in Japan, so that's not too surprising.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If you want to read more there's Richard Frank's Downfall and another book called Japan's Longest Day that talks about these issues quite a bit.

I will chase those up then.

• Locked thread