Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
There really isn't a thread about this? I looked and didn't find one, maybe I goofed.

I took some notes during the first FOX GOP debate, please share your observations.

Trump was Trump, he dominated the first two thirds of the debate then started to crumble a bit. The crowd ate up his bravado as he fended off quite a few loaded questions, some of his responses to Rand Paul made that candidate visibly angry. When asked about his abuse of the bankruptcy system, though, he lost his cool and ranted about "money lenders" and how he followed the same rules as anyone else. That's the first dog whistle about Jews I have witnessed in a national political event. It's also the first time I've seen someone say that he was paling around with people like the Clintons because, like The Godfather, he gives favors and expects them to obey. That was almost chilling.

I predicted last year that Chris Christie had it made in the shade and I was completely wrong. He's been likable, makes jokes that play well with the crowd, he was a big teddy bear. Not so at the debates: his answers were very dense, defensive, and spoken quickly. He was not the affable guy that people love, he came across as the mobster that he is, defending himself from all the shady things he is accused of doing. He was also the first to exploit 9/11, he did it at least four times (three times in one response, one later, then I lost count as I drifted into the abyss). Trump got brownie points again by being the first candidate to drop the, "You hugged Obama" bomb.

Some people were playing it safe, making early overtures to other candidates as if vying to be the Vice President. Kasich, I think, was the first to hand out compliments to others, said that Fiorina stole the show at the little kids table debate earlier in the day. He was among the nicest and most sensible in the group, saying nice things about other candidates before offering how his opinion is different. My jaw dropped though when, during a live debate, they played a clip of Fiorina right on cue. The entire debate is practically scripted, each candidate knew exactly how long they had before the buzzer went off, expected almost every single question. Jeb Bush didn't take any risks other than to say some dangerously sensible things about civil rights, he mostly hung back and let the freaks go at it.

I feel bad for Rubio, he had none of his usual charisma. He gave the, "my mom was a coal miner and my father worked for years as a goat ball licker" schlock and I think some people in the audience fell asleep. He looked nervous yet robotic throughout the entire affair: wide eyed, no inflection, and got little crowd reaction. He had the most lines that sounded like he was reciting a script. And his ears seem to have grown, he just looked like a goofball.

Doc Carson did fine for someone that has no chance with the GOP crowd. He was dorky, often sensible, and lacked the car salesman delivery that most of the other candidates have, like Jimmy Carter! He openly mentioned during the debate how he was being ignored and he was. For these reasons I was completely unprepared when he dropped the word, "tithing." I expected him to say how we don't need social services because charitable Christians will donate all the time and money needed to take care of the less fortunate-- he did a 180' and what he was referring to was a flat tax. No pizzas in sight but not far removed from the 9/9/9 plan.

Trump must be the craziest, right? Nope, Huckabee stole the show in that venue. The friendly, smiling pastor that plays bass guitar is dead and buried, he is an angry, scowling Nixon character. I'm sorry, the amount of crazy poo poo he said became a fever dream to me, the highlight for me is when he said all taxes should be replaced with a flat "consumption tax," which should include a consumption tax on prostitution. I'm for legalizing vices but you could sense the palpable dismay from the audience at hearing-- from a pastor-- something so off the Republican talking points or condoning a victimless crime.

Buzzword salad: Saul Alinsky, secular progressive, labor laws, regulations, and many more that I lost track of. "Caliphate the size of Indiana." The same language they used against Clinton and Obama was used, "He's a divider not a uniter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I was honestly surprised at how blatant Wallace, Kelly, and Baier were with their bosses' desperate attempts to sweep Trump off the stage. The very first question, asking candidates if they pledge not to be a third party spoiler if they lose, was both a bold demand for party discipline and a direct attempt to discredit the Donald. But even Megyn Kelly's pointed questions about his sexism failed to get him. He appeared shaken at times, but the criticism so obviously fed him. The line about Rosie was a MASTERFUL retort, and he repeatedly said exactly what the howling base wants. You cannot criticize him, you cannot call him a clown. No matter what you hit him with, he eats it up and wins anyway. They have no response to this and its driving the conservative establishment absolutely mad

In addition to the most insane dog-whistling about drug dealers and pimps, Huckabee shockingly argued that the 5th and 14th amendments should be invoked to product fetuses because life begins at conception.

Maybe my own political biases color this, but I think Kasich is the strategic winner here. A relative unknown in a crowded celebrity bench, he managed to make himself relevant overnight. He was sane, compassionate, willing to break the party line, sincere, and most of all ELECTABLE. At this point I don't think it's realistic he could ever be the GOP candidate, but if he was he could beat Hillary.

My favorite part was probably everyone trying to one-up eachother with how working class their dad's job was :jerkbag:

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

quote:

That's the first dog whistle about Jews I have witnessed in a national political event.

I really don't find that accurate at all.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That you don't think it was code for Jews or that he's probably heard it before?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
It makes his reality show look like practice for this style of politicking.

Link to the full debate? WFH so time to put something on while I try to code.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Thank you, I didn't write down which amendments Huckabee (and someone else, I think?) cited so I left it out. Yup, Constitutional rights for microorganisms.

This seems like a legit, quality copy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbCwc4d71eQ

I missed the first ten minutes of the debate, Rubio looked good at first and got a round of applause.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

walgreenslatino posted:

I was honestly surprised at how blatant Wallace, Kelly, and Baier were with their bosses' desperate attempts to sweep Trump off the stage. The very first question, asking candidates if they pledge not to be a third party spoiler if they lose, was both a bold demand for party discipline and a direct attempt to discredit the Donald. But even Megyn Kelly's pointed questions about his sexism failed to get him. He appeared shaken at times, but the criticism so obviously fed him. The line about Rosie was a MASTERFUL retort, and he repeatedly said exactly what the howling base wants. You cannot criticize him, you cannot call him a clown. No matter what you hit him with, he eats it up and wins anyway. They have no response to this and its driving the conservative establishment absolutely mad

In addition to the most insane dog-whistling about drug dealers and pimps, Huckabee shockingly argued that the 5th and 14th amendments should be invoked to product fetuses because life begins at conception.

Maybe my own political biases color this, but I think Kasich is the strategic winner here. A relative unknown in a crowded celebrity bench, he managed to make himself relevant overnight. He was sane, compassionate, willing to break the party line, sincere, and most of all ELECTABLE. At this point I don't think it's realistic he could ever be the GOP candidate, but if he was he could beat Hillary.

My favorite part was probably everyone trying to one-up eachother with how working class their dad's job was :jerkbag:

Every Republican thinks of their dad as the only hardworking guy in America, and Republicans want to ensure some future dad is forced to be as hard working as they each claim their individual father's were.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Other News programs have picked up the whole Wallace, Beir, and Kelly angle but I don't think it's going to keep legs.Drudge Reports naturally pushing Trump pretty hard but even Huffingtonpost and others have put up blogs and editorials regarding it. Trumps numbers will keep him from being delegated to the kiddie table that and the ratings he brings and attention thereby giving attention to the other candidates. However the Republicans are obviously terrified he'll run as a 3rd party candidate, which they pretty much tipped their hand at.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

Every Republican thinks of their dad as the only hardworking guy in America, and Republicans want to ensure some future dad is forced to be as hard working as they each claim their individual father's were.

Scarily accurate assessment

From the Jeb! official campaign online store

walgreenslatino fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 7, 2015

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
I really expected some full-on Mussolini rants from Trump and was surprised at how measured he was (relatively speaking). His clowning of Rand Paul was loving glorious, though. Cruz came across as an angry far-right mouthpiece, Huckabee as utterly insane. I was a bit taken aback by how blatantly Fox tried to hatchet Trump, but I guess I shouldn't be. Oh well, more blood for the blood god.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
:siren: The only writeup of the debate you need is here! http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/8/7/9114747/joe-flacco-elite-gop-debate-cleveland :siren:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Apart from the obvious Trumpisms, I think my favorite moment was the Christie/Paul slapfight. :)

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Badera posted:

I really expected some full-on Mussolini rants from Trump and was surprised at how measured he was (relatively speaking). His clowning of Rand Paul was loving glorious, though. Cruz came across as an angry far-right mouthpiece, Huckabee as utterly insane. I was a bit taken aback by how blatantly Fox tried to hatchet Trump, but I guess I shouldn't be. Oh well, more blood for the blood god.

I just figured it out! Trump is a double agent! He is actually working for the Clintons to get the nomination so that when the general election occurs he will act even more insane so that Hillary will have no real competition. Nailed it!

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

confused posted:

I just figured it out! Trump is a double agent! He is actually working for the Clintons to get the nomination so that when the general election occurs he will act even more insane so that Hillary will have no real competition. Nailed it!

lol somebody basically called him on this, but his explanation for his donations to the Democrats and the Clinton foundation was quid pro quo. Because he donated to Clinton she had to go to his wedding, he said. And exercising power over politicians like that makes him good and a badass

Basically he bragged about bribing federal officials, to raucous applause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That's me watching all the Republican debates.

• Locked thread