Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Trihugger posted:

I don't know what the last picture is suppose to be about, but it looks to me like it was set in Glorantha's Dragon Pass with Ray Romano as the Red Goddess. Which sounds like a loving amazing anime.

he expected it to be good like Gundam Wing, but instead it was terrible like Ray Romana, and also Mars Rays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, let's start back in the 90s with some of the first Anime I ever saw. Gundam is cool, so what about this?

Well, that wasn't so bad. Let's find something similar and--

:gonk: --and not watch Anime that doesn't involve Giant Robots again for about five years. Alright.

Ok, ok. Now for something more modern.

Well, that was awful but not unwatchably awful. What about that other one I've heard about? It's got giant robots in it so it can't be that awful.

Why do I make such terrible decisions?! (Two episodes counts as 'watched,' right? I couldn't stomach any more. Don't make me watch more! :smithicide: )

I don't know what any of this is but the Ray Romano pic made me laugh because im imagine his voice on top of the image

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

he expected it to be good like Gundam Wing, but instead it was terrible like Ray Romana, and also Mars Rays

Oh, I thought it was a jab at Everybody Loves Raymond, where everybody understandably hate the main character, but he inexplicably interprets himself as the center of the universe.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Anatharon posted:

I....

Don't really watch anime.

So come on is it really that hard to list what things are. :colbert:

I watch anime and I don't have a clue as to what a lot these things posted are.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

What animes are these :)

Regarding Ouran, so, was it what you expected? Or are you saying it was less "fabulous" and more "boys almost kissing"? I mean, I thought the non-Haruhi girl was fabulous enough.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Haven't seen Beck, yet. But, I'm guessing they overuse the hell out of that stock cicada sound effect?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Postal Parcel posted:

What animes are these :)
All three are named in their respective first panels.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

No time like the present.

Well maybe if people said what they'd watch then I'd have somewhere to start. :colbert:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Anatharon posted:

Well maybe if people said what they'd watch then I'd have somewhere to start. :colbert:
Here is our longstanding recommendations thread. Post what kind of shows you're into or looking for and dozens of helpful goons should flock in to aid you in your quest.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Anatharon posted:

I have no idea what any of these things are

imo anyone who lists 30 things and names none of them should be shot. or forced to watch western animation.
Western animations are really fun and cool nowadays, I recommend Gravity Falls for a serialized mystery story and the very recent We Bare Bears which is basically a western take on Shirokuma Cafe.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

And I would not have it any other way.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Haven't seen Beck, yet. But, I'm guessing they overuse the hell out of that stock cicada sound effect?

Beck is good. One of my favorite coming-of-age stories. I'd do the thing, but it's been so long that I don't remember what I expected.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You should read Beck instead of watching it imo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think the anime's music is good enough to justify watching it, then reading it to continue the story. It helps to set the atmosphere, though they perhaps rely overly much on a few tracks.

I am biased, though, because of which version I began with.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also the engrish is phenomenal.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Postal Parcel posted:

Regarding Ouran, so, was it what you expected? Or are you saying it was less "fabulous" and more "boys almostkissing"? I mean, I thought the non-Haruhi girl was fabulous enough.

I thought it was going to be more of a slice-of-life, quick comic sketch thing with some kind of drag gimmick but it had more plot than I thought it would and didn't take itself too seriously.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

There's a lot of long pauses for the characters when they're outdoors so yeah. It was also way more methodically paced than I expected but it's still great. The music is awesome.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Colonel posted:

Pretty much.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Just watched episode 7. I did not sign up for this...

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

Piriwi posted:

My friend kept asking me what the hamster in the opening was for, he got his answer.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

pandaK posted:

Western animations are really fun and cool nowadays, I recommend Gravity Falls for a serialized mystery story and the very recent We Bare Bears which is basically a western take on Shirokuma Cafe.

Every time someone suggests a cartoon to me it either seems to be trying to be south park (which I don't really like) or is a kid's show with a fanbase of weird grown men.

The Colonel posted:

i'll cut you, mate

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Anatharon posted:

i'll cut you, mate

what the heck do you want me to do, there weren't any posters for hyouka that contained the show's english title in them!!!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Anatharon posted:

Every time someone suggests a cartoon to me it either seems to be trying to be south park (which I don't really like) or is a kid's show with a fanbase of weird grown men

anime, is also for kids

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anatharon posted:

Every time someone suggests a cartoon to me it either seems to be trying to be south park (which I don't really like) or is a kid's show with a fanbase of weird grown men.

watch rick & morty, the only good western anime

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Venture Bros is a pretty good western anime too, I feel.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GorfZaplen posted:

Venture Bros is a pretty good western anime too, I feel.
I don't know how Exo-Squad autocorrected to Venture Bros for you man. You should get that looked at.

(Or possibly Gargoyles... or Steven Universe)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

FilthyImp posted:

(Or possibly Gargoyles... or Steven Universe)

I think you misread, it said NOT "a kid's show with a fanbase of weird grown men."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Piriwi posted:

It's the last silly bit for quite a while.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PotU posted:

watch rick & morty, the only good western anime

Home Movies

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

venture bros, rick and morty bob's burgers are the good shows

if your cartoon airs on a network for children, during a time for children. it is not good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rick and Morty grossed me out too much.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Watch Archer.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I like Family Guy.