Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
16th and osborn area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My friend with the stupid fast Volvo and (now) Megasquirted 4runner lives on the other side of the 51 from you.

E: I don't know poo poo about acvws so I'm no help, but gas diluted oil could have worked it's way past the rings and seals into your exhaust/combustion chamber.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

16th and osborn area

Ah, ok. I'm out in Buckeye. Was going to offer up my garage for daytime repairs (on day's when I am home anyway) to get you out of the sun, but that's probably not worth the trek for you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Today I tackled the jalousie windows.

Took off the old windows.

Okay.

DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THAT poo poo

gently caress WELDING

Turns out that I'm "the PO," except I care about wiring things properly and strain relief. Can't be arsed about a hole in the window frame. Don't shoot me.

I don't really have pics of the process, because it was SO EASY, but you use a razor blade to pull the old window seal out, pop the windows, clean up the frame, drill a bunch of holes (I had 14 each window, five across top/bottom, two front/back) in the frame REALLY CLOSE to the edge of the metal, and push the new windows in.

I used stainless screws and stainless washers/lock washers, because gently caress YOU

Remember those old, moldy interior panels? Here's some pics from earlier:

I got some replacements. Super easy to install, and cut pretty closely.

The sliding door panel is so much nicer. And these are all easily removeable with the philips/molly screw combination going on.

GOODBYE!

GOOD-BYE!!!

AAAAHHHHHH gently caress YOU MOLDY poo poo

Seriously easy fitting. I did have a smooth hole bit from HF that I used on every hole to help center, but I don't blame the panel maker as much as you think. Very good stuff and pattern.

I also used an accidentally-ordered second set of window winders/cranks for the beetle and put them on. You have to trim their length as the bus ones are a lot shallower and the beetle ones have the splined area recessed, but an angle grinder takes care of that. A plastic trim ring hides the shame.

After I did all of this, I checked the mail, and something special came in today while I was working :3:

Fancy NOS-style box...

Scrawled-on part number...

Wolfsburg seal...

BABLAM!

One of those "wow, this is cheap" auctions that turned quickly into "this is more expensive than I care to admit" auctions.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And if anybody in AZ needs the side glass for a bus, let me know. The vent windows are also intact but not functional, as the vent frames are rusted to poo poo and the bottom pins (look replaceable) are gone.

I don't have the back five panels yet because they're kind of expensive ($40 or so apiece and shipping is killer) and I think I can make three or four of them fairly easily. But it's currently the "cargo" area so whatever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Door cards look pretty cool, but I have to admit I'd be tempted to throw a little colour into the interior with them. Probably why I'm not an interior decorator.

Did all the mould come from the holes in the window frame?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think it was that and a combination of bad/rusted seals and frames, especially around the vents. The mold on (especially the passenger) door cards is from the lack of vapor barrier in places, and the complete lack of it on the passenger side. Remember, this entire bus was covered in mold from top to bottom when I first got it, in the early pics. I had to scrub for quite awhile to get it off, and there are some places it remains.

I feel guilty about the one big hole on the driver's side window frame, but I don't have a welder and <not shown> I removed all of the rusty bits until fresh metal, and primered it and then put kroil in the areas the RTV wouldn't touch, just in case. At least with these new panels I can access the area behind them really easily.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Are you doing all this in the parking lot of an apartment complex?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't tell the HOA. I like my townhouse. Wish I had a garage, though.

I searched for a good big-enough storage unit but I couldn't find one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

You are far more dedicated to working on your car (or bus) than I am. I have an insulated garage and set up a fan the night before any serious work to push A/C into it overnight, and I *still* don't like working on my car much anymore!

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Geirskogul, you have done some great work here. I feel for you working out in the sun on this beast though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

driguy posted:

I feel for you working out in the sun on this beast though.

Especially because even by Phoenix standards it's been stupid loving hot lately. We had a few days in a row where the low was over 90.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Double posting here: I bought a new starter because the old one was weak (even bought a new battery), but after doing the oil seals the starter works like new, because I inadvertently cleaned the ground points :eng99:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

IOwnCalculus posted:

Especially because even by Phoenix standards it's been stupid loving hot lately. We had a few days in a row where the low was over 90.

Seriously, I have plenty of time to walk the dog, but gently caress going outside. Go play in the yard and scratch the door when you want back in.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I installed some new lenses and a fan cover

(lens base OE VW from JustKampers.com - pretty cheap considering it came from the UK)

My 6-foot Blazecut fire suppression system came in, so I installed that (not pictured, just imagine a 3/4 inch white plastic tube zip-tied to the roof of the engine compartment)

And, because I'm feeling cocky, I decided to name the bus:

Bad taste, but a good joke. Unless it actually catches fire.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Driving to the parts store for some bulbs yesterday, spider crawled across the dashboard...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I was gonna call you a pansy until I remembered you live in the land where even ant bites can kill you.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

I was gonna call you a pansy until I remembered you live in the land where even ant bites can kill you.

I was not aware that ant bites could kill you in Phoenix. I suppose there is some sort of super-ant around here that I'm unaware of though.

As far as spiders, black widows here suck, but unlikely to be crawling around on your dash. Tarantula's are kind of cool, and I guess we have brown recluses as well, but that's about it for poisonous ones. Some people just don't like spiders!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well gently caress I thought he was part of the Aussie crew for some reason.

Pansy.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Locator posted:

I was not aware that ant bites could kill you in Phoenix. I suppose there is some sort of super-ant around here that I'm unaware of though.

As far as spiders, black widows here suck, but unlikely to be crawling around on your dash. Tarantula's are kind of cool, and I guess we have brown recluses as well, but that's about it for poisonous ones. Some people just don't like spiders!

I have a huge black widow living in my garage door. Also one living under the Suzuki Swift. They are my minions. My wife hates them with a passion.i don't live that far west from you, but we don't get many tarantulas in our gated community. Most of the wild life has been driven out. Or murdered by pest control...

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

El Jebus posted:

I have a huge black widow living in my garage door. Also one living under the Suzuki Swift. They are my minions. My wife hates them with a passion.i don't live that far west from you, but we don't get many tarantulas in our gated community. Most of the wild life has been driven out. Or murdered by pest control...

Black widows are cool since they aren't aggressive and typically won't bite unless actively provoked--like you often have to squeeze them or sit on them to get them to bite. Even then, they can choose how much venom (if any) to use in the bite. Still wouldn't want one in my house/car, but I'm way less freaked out by them than the hobo/aggressive house spider or brown recluse.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Magnus Praeda posted:

Black widows are cool since they aren't aggressive and typically won't bite unless actively provoked--like you often have to squeeze them or sit on them to get them to bite. Even then, they can choose how much venom (if any) to use in the bite. Still wouldn't want one in my house/car, but I'm way less freaked out by them than the hobo/aggressive house spider or brown recluse.

Inside the house or car and they are killed on sight. Garage or under the car gets them sympathy unless they are on something I want to hold in my hands, then they are given ample time to go elsewhere or face the mallet of spider killing +1 (usually a shoe).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I found out where my brake fluid was going (because the only liquid dripped is oil) BUT...

should my brake booster canister be full of fluid?

J/K I know it's terrible I have a brand new one ready

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All right so the hose that goes from the upper reservoir to the lower one had a rubber sheet/ring sealing it to the lower reservoir tube, and I tore that, and now I can't get the plastic hose to seal against the plastic reservoir barb. Options:

A: Use fuel line between the two (don't think it's compatible)

B: Use eight stacked O-rings or something instead of the 1/3 inch rubber sheet thing

C: Source an old part.

Leaning towards B here.

Also, the brakes had better work beautifully, because I have replaced all of the vacuum lines. Question: On the front and rear brakes, there are two brake bleeder nozzles, one on the top and one on the bottom. Which one do I bleed with?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I'm happy with this print, and how it fits the parts. Just need to wire it up to have a second (house) battery.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay I fixed the fill, but I have a leak in the master cylinder. Fluid is coming out from here:

I tried reseating it, and checking o-rings, but this is a constant, slow drip. One big drip every five seconds or so that I can stop by putting my finger over it. Pumping the brakes does not make it worse. Is there supposed to be a plug for this hole, or is this a faulty cylinder, or what?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I'd start with the lower bleeder, and then do the upper. Maybe there is some weird internal design that causes air pockets. I've never done van brakes before though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Installed the second new master cylinder, no leaks so far. But I don't have the vice or setup to bench bleed it, so I did my best with an in-car bleed using a one-man system with a vacuum pump/reservoir. Pedal feel is better than before with the old busted one, but still can't get it to stiffen up like I want to. I know there's more to it left, because I can pump it firm with the engine off. Engine on and I get a lot of squish.

Probably just going to buy another 32 oz of brake fluid and try again and again. I remember on the subaru I had to do it like three times total to get all of the air out.

In the meantime, I'm using a tube jack to hold the pedal down (engine off) after pumping a few times overnight.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
You can try cracking the fitting on the master cylinder to bleed the air out. I've done that with success when I couldn't bench bleed one. My old '80 brat even had bleeders on the master cylinder.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You can also just get the bench bleed kit, use the clippy thing it comes with to hold the hose into the reservoir, then pump away at the pedal for a bit. Then put the hardline back on, and bleed normally. I had to do that with my clutch to get it to bleed right.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The reservoir is inside the cab, the one on the cylinder is inaccessible when installed :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geirskogul posted:

The reservoir is inside the cab, the one on the cylinder is inaccessible when installed :(

Guess you'll need a longer piece of hose then!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I used a bottle jack to put pressure on the brake pedal for the last 24 hours, occasionally coming out to apply additional pressure every eight hours or so. Today, brakes work much better. Still clearly need to bleed them a bit (nothing nothing nothing ALL THE BRAKES) but still with these half-bled brakes they're better than the other ones were stock. Something something functioning master cylinder and brake booster and non-leaky brake booster vacuum lines and a vacuum check valve installed that wasn't there before.

No pictures (started raining pretty heavily) but I installed the second battery and ACR/combining switch. Works well!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
On z cars, there is a piece in the booster called a reaction disc. When it fails or falls off, it causes what you said: no brakes then all the brakes (no modulation). Dunno if your bus has anything like that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where my bus was parked earlier, then I decided to move it as the storm started. Lucky choice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yesterday I replaced the driver's side pushrod tube seals.

So far, no leaks.

Installed the battery switch and ACR yesterday. Too bad the inverter I bought (wagan 700w) was DOA (shorted inputs, probably bad MOSFET)

I like my chrome hubcaps.

And before you jump on me, Kastein, the electrical tape is in no way structural, just something I did at the desk while a little drunk because my inebriated mind thought "Additional scuff protection? gently caress yes!" completely forgetting about nasty melted adhesive. On most of the crimps I put adhesive-lined 20 mil heatshrink. In fact the only two ends that don't have it are the pos battery connections in the picture, because...I forgot?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 2, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't said that :v:

You live on tattooine so I wouldn't even be worried about corrosion, and a lot of people leave battery terminals bare. Do whatever you want.

And oil leaks are the worst... I have been fighting a stupid oil leak I can't find on my pancake motor too. Thought it was the passenger side cam seal, but when I took the timing belt covers off to check there wasn't any residue.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oil leaks so far:

Valve cover gaskets (replaced, known good fix)

Rear fan hub seal (replaced, also JB-welded the cast aluminum seal surround, as it was showing stress cracks after pounding in the new seal in a few places, known good fix)

Oil separator box gasket (replaced, known good fix)

Driver's side pushrod tubes (replaced - they were all different colors, red, green, black, known good fix)

Oil cooler seals (replaced, unknown if fixed, it's buried in there good)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Preface: these photos are on something that isn't imgur, because it's Labor Day and imgur/reddit are completely broken, and have been all day, so these may not work in the future. Good job, guys!

Today was Stereo Day!

And by stereo, I mean a literal $20 headunit that has USB/SD/AUX and...pretty much nothing else. Wait! It also has a bright blue clock that doesn't dim at all. For reference, this particular Chinese variation of the headunit is called the "SSL M39USA." Whatever.

See, it has USB! And...buttons...

Showcasing the true master build quality that "SSL" is known for.

For speakers, I used some old 2.5x4" Sony speakers I ripped out of a home theater system. I wasn't looking for quality, just something to make sound so I don't have to wear earbuds on the way to work. As I did with the Beetle, a proper stereo will be incoming once I have the funds. But for now, this works, and I fused everything so if something goes wrong hopefully it doesn't burn the bus down.

First step is removing the old stereo:

Oh...oh no. Look at those clips! There's no cage, is there?

Continually falling prices written in paint pen are a good sign, right?

Final price: Ten O'clock

The duct tape is the previous owner. The electrical tape is my emergency roadside fix for a random short that was happening during the drive down from Portland.

(not pictured: his homemade adapter that wired switched 12v directly to the center pin of the antenna. Used a spade connector and everything. No wonder the stereo never worked)

To the trash with ye!

<blink>SIDE PROJECT APPROACHING</blink>

While the dash was open, I decided to throw in the new speedometer, as well as fix the burnt out dash bulbs.

Oh god!

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

Actually, it wasn't that bad. Also, it became immediately clear why the odometer didn't work:

The biggest question is: where are the pieces to the odometer gear? The speedometer is in an enclosed, sealed box and if the gear broke off while functioning there would be broken gear pieces laying in the bottom. Also, where is the grease that was on the gear? Why is the shaft cleaned?

You mean to suggest to me that the previous owner, or one of the five before him, intentionally used a broken speedometer? I don't believe you, nobody would be that despicable, or lazy. No sir!

Fast forward about 10 minutes, the new speedo and bulbs are in:

It got dark, and my phone is absolute poo poo at dark photos (HTC :argh:) but I did snap a pic of the antenna connector before coming inside. The nursing staff and I did the best we could to save him; from this point forward, whether or not he survives is up to how much he wants to live.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I've heard of gears in vdo stuff become anything from goo to dust.

On your 3D printed thing, I thought most 3D printed stuff was not underhood temp rated? Doesn't that stuff melt at 240F or so?

• Locked thread