Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
It was an epic battle. gently caress Martavis Bryant. Trebek you won the big money but $53.78 ain't nothing to sneeze at. Can't wait to play you all next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
See you all next year. Congrats to whoever won, gently caress fantasy football, and gently caress my WRs pulling in 2-4pts a game.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

Spermy Smurf posted:

See you all next year. Congrats to whoever won, gently caress fantasy football, and gently caress my WRs pulling in 2-4pts a game.

p much this

looking forward to endlessly bitching next year!

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007
Great season everyone. gently caress my team crashing and burning at the end. I will PayPal the money to the winners tonight.

Anyone have any changes or reccomendations for next year?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Turn off injuries.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Trade more.

Also maybe do something for the best season overall?

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007
Money sent. Thanks for the season. Looking forward to next year!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Spacely posted:

Great season everyone. gently caress my team crashing and burning at the end. I will PayPal the money to the winners tonight.

Anyone have any changes or recommendations for next year?

I feel it's run well. I have no complaints at all. I hope next year the thread is a little more active, although I feel like the smack talk made up for that though

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
One of my leagues has a thing that gives $5 to the highest scorer each week. I think it would be a good idea to implement since it would give us guys that are pretty much out halfway though the season still have a reason to play.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Or weekly prizes of $5 or something. I just ripped this from reddit. Bump the buy-in to $30 or something, that would cover it, right?

1) HOT START: Highest team score

2) Hero to Zero: Biggest NEGATIVE team points differential from Week 1 to Week 2

3) MVP: Highest scoring individual player (QB most weeks?)

4) Bench Warmer: Team with highest scoring bench player

5) Best Loser: Highest scoring losing team

6) Photo Finish: Team with closest margin of victory

7) Halftime Bonus: 1st place team after 7 weeks. (Or total points?)

8) Biggest Blow out: Largest margin of victory

9) Dirty 30: Team with player closest to 30 points (under OR over)

10) Bulls-eye: Team closest to their project point total

11) Over Achiever: Team with most points over their weekly projection

12) Highest Scoring WR/RB

13) Highest Scoring TE

14) Highest Scoring Defense

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
I am in favor of any system that allows me to make small amounts of money on me being incapable of running a team well for more than six weeks at a time.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What about a "Pro Bowl" in week 17 after the regular season? Everyone posts their line-up in the thread (from their roster obviously) and whomever scores the most points gets a payout. Creates incentive to keep up with your roster all year but since it's concentrated in one week the payoff would be also be larger, which might create more incentive than something like $5 a week. Also, if people fall off that's less people in the "Pro Bowl" which ups your chance of winning, so more incentive to be one of the last Goons standing.

Also, for rules I would suggest implementing free agent auctions instead of waivers, and if people wanted I'm not a huge fan of standard scoring for defenses. I posted something in the GDT but this is about what I'll be using next year for my work league:

Essentially defenses will be accumulating points for good plays instead of losing points to good offenses. If their offense is doing nothing and they have to be on the field for 40+ minutes it also doesn't penalize them, it actually gives them more "touches" and more chances for points.

Thoughts?

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

Reik posted:

What about a "Pro Bowl" in week 17 after the regular season? Everyone posts their line-up in the thread (from their roster obviously) and whomever scores the most points gets a payout. Creates incentive to keep up with your roster all year but since it's concentrated in one week the payoff would be also be larger, which might create more incentive than something like $5 a week. Also, if people fall off that's less people in the "Pro Bowl" which ups your chance of winning, so more incentive to be one of the last Goons standing.

Also, for rules I would suggest implementing free agent auctions instead of waivers, and if people wanted I'm not a huge fan of standard scoring for defenses. I posted something in the GDT but this is about what I'll be using next year for my work league:

Essentially defenses will be accumulating points for good plays instead of losing points to good offenses. If their offense is doing nothing and they have to be on the field for 40+ minutes it also doesn't penalize them, it actually gives them more "touches" and more chances for points.

Thoughts?

I am pro-pro bowl

Also my home league did essentially your thing for D/STs this year and it was a game changer, for the better I feel. Pro-that too.

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007
I like these ideas. If we bumped the cost to $30 is everyone good with that? 30 bucks from 12 people puts $360 in cash up for prizes.

We can do the highest scoring team each week gets $5. So 5x16=$80 of the pot. (I will track this in the thread and pay out the money at the end of the year).

Then we can do the probowl thing. Say $25 to the winner? Puts us at $105. That leaves $255 for 1st and 2nd place. so $178.50 to the league winner and $76.5 for 2nd place.

I'm all for that defensive thing and for cautions. How do auctions work with no money? And for the defense does a Pass Defended count for any incomplete pass or only when a defender actually stops the play?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I vote against simply 'highest scoring every week'

I am all for doing something weekly, but some incentive for people not going to win the championship is needed... not another bonus for the people already going to win the entire pot for 1st or 2nd place.

If you just want to give the two or three best teams more money just increase the pot, dont do weekly bonus' to those 3 teams.

Edit: Seriously whats the difference about a ProBowl and a highest scoring challenge? Probowl has high score winning a bigger pot, but its just a high score challenge right?

And the best teams (highest scoring usually) will already be in the championship, so I dont see the point of it.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 2, 2016

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
Assuming it's anything like my other league, Yahoo lets you set it up where everyone starts the season with a set amount of fake funbux (other league starts at $100).

Personally I don't like an auction waiver system but that's probably because I always get screwed.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I'd rather leave waivers like they are. I'd also rather steal the reddit idea vs highest scoring team, or do something else to spread the wealth.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

I vote against simply 'highest scoring every week'

I am all for doing something weekly, but some incentive for people not going to win the championship is needed... not another bonus for the people already going to win the entire pot for 1st or 2nd place.

If you just want to give the two or three best teams more money just increase the pot, dont do weekly bonus' to those 3 teams.

Edit: Seriously whats the difference about a ProBowl and a highest scoring challenge? Probowl has high score winning a bigger pot, but its just a high score challenge right?

And the best teams (highest scoring usually) will already be in the championship, so I dont see the point of it.

I mean, it is a highest scoring challenge, it's just set up to only be 1 week so you can give a good sized payout without reducing the championship pot too much and by making it on week 17 you encourage people to be active the whole season. I think it would be best to do an either/or with the week 17 Pro Bowl and a weekly payout. Like, if a person goes AWOL and doesn't set a lineup for 4 weeks but then their team goes nuts week 13 afters byes are over do we really want to give them $5?

Spacely posted:

And for the defense does a Pass Defended count for any incomplete pass or only when a defender actually stops the play?

According to the ESPN NFL Statistics glossary a Pass Defended is "Any pass in which a defender, through contact with the football, causes to be incomplete"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2128923

A stuff is simply any negative yardage rushing attempt. I think these stats show up the next day because there's a little more to calculating them.

Reik fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 4, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Reik posted:

. Like, if a person goes AWOL and doesn't set a lineup for 4 weeks but then their team goes nuts week 13 afters bye are over do we really want to give them $5?

I don't really know what you're saying.

Week 13 would be highest scoring TE in the list I pulled from Reddit.

That person going AWOL will most likely happen if they have half their team on IR and knows the championship is a lost cause. But hey, if they can come back and win $5 for having Gronk pull in 7TDs, then yeah, good for them. It might spur their interest in the league again. Or not. I don't know.

It's been 2 good years in this league right? No one has ghosted and not set their lineups as far as I know.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

I don't really know what you're saying.

Week 13 would be highest scoring TE in the list I pulled from Reddit.

That person going AWOL will most likely happen if they have half their team on IR and knows the championship is a lost cause. But hey, if they can come back and win $5 for having Gronk pull in 7TDs, then yeah, good for them. It might spur their interest in the league again. Or not. I don't know.

It's been 2 good years in this league right? No one has ghosted and not set their lineups as far as I know.

The weekly payoffs he was mentioning was just a highest scoring each week, not the weekly prizes from reddit, so that's what I was basing the hypothetical on. I guess I was thinking weekly rewards would be more of a "keep people active all year" incentive as opposed to a "spread the wealth" incentive. I'm fine with either honestly, I just think the most fun leagues are the ones with active players all season.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I agree. Weekly prizes (not every single one HIGHEST SCORING) will keep people active. I just couldn't make sense of the sentence I quoted. Yes, English is my first and only language. Something just wouldn't sink into my pea brain.

But this league has been pretty great with participation.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

I agree. Weekly prizes (not every single one HIGHEST SCORING) will keep people active. I just couldn't make sense of the sentence I quoted. Yes, English is my first and only language. Something just wouldn't sink into my pea brain.

But this league has been pretty great with participation.

I like a lot of those reddit prizes, but I dislike weeks 2 and 4 because they encourage low scoring. I don't see why anyone would tank a game for 5 bucks or whatever the prize is, but it just doesn't seem to follow the spirit of the rewards.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It's not meant to encourage you to bench your studs. I mean, I guess someone could do that though. Those things could all be changed, no need to keep the ones we don't like as a group.

Bench Warmer is more of a consolation for leaving that RB3 on your bench that went for 150 and 3TDs to the amazement of everyone. "Oh man if I had just played XXXX I would have won by 20!"

The negative points from week2 to week1 is a "point and laugh at the guy who got 150 in week 1 and 70 in week 2 despite trying his hardest" thing. Again, just a consolation for your team not putting up points the second week.

I really don't think anyone in this group would try to win $5 after putting up $30 for the entry fee. If you want $5 so drat bad just don't enter the league and make a $25 profit in that case.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We doing this again this year?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Spermy Smurf posted:

We doing this again this year?

I hope so!

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
I haven't logged into CoC since Pokemon Go came out but yeah this is a pretty good league let's do it

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

yo I'm down again

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Down also

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
fuuuuuuck everything for the opener being canceled because some rear end in a top hat used the wrong kind of loving paint

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm down with the clown even though my poop breaks are a normal length now a days.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Who is in charge of this thing? Fire it up.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Who is in charge of this thing? Fire it up.

Spacely ran it last year. Anyone know if they're still alive?

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007
I'm down again. I'm super busy this week so I will set stuff up this weekend.

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007
I refreshed the league in yahoo. Emails went out. If anyone has plat and wants to PM the folks from last year that would be good.

I'll make a new thread tonight. Was thinking sometime Sunday afternoon on the 29th or 5th for the draft. Not sure what works for people.

Yahoo lets you do cash leagues no so no more paypal.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Spacely posted:

I refreshed the league in yahoo. Emails went out. If anyone has plat and wants to PM the folks from last year that would be good.

I'll make a new thread tonight. Was thinking sometime Sunday afternoon on the 29th or 5th for the draft. Not sure what works for people.

Yahoo lets you do cash leagues no so no more paypal.

Back in, changing team name to Pokemon GoWiPe, either of those days works for me.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I can't do anything from the 5th onward to draft. I can do something from 29th to 4th though.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
I'm already drafting in my other two leagues on the 26th and the 2nd, both during the evening. I'm free otherwise.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I'm not deployed this time (yet) what time/time zone are you aiming to draft? Haven't had a day off in a month and usually working until 7pm PST, though I should be better by the 29th+

Edit: Can't do 26th, have a mandatory work thing that night

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 16, 2016

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm flexible, but would prefer weekends because I work until 10p or 11p M-F CST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
I'm back in to defend my crown. I'll text Slangin Throws too and let him know.

• Locked thread