Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

What is this?

This is an LP of the first best games to bear the name Turok, the ones on the N64. Turok was an FPS series that was largly known for large levels, interesting enemy designs, and mostly for amazingly unique weapons. The N64 Turok games had set a high bar for the genre on the system, before that bar fell off its pegs and hit the ground in the PS2 era. I'll be playing through the first 3 Turok games on hard, and probably a one off video of Rage Wars.

What's a Turok?

Turok is a title that get's passed down to the eldest living male native of the tribe in the Lost Land. A land that exists just slightly in a different dimension than earth. Things, like Native Americans, dinosaurs, and other colorful characters occasionally get sucked through. It's Turok's job to see that the balance between worlds is maintained. He more or less watches the doorway to see what falls through it. He gets some stuff that really has no bearing on gameplay other than having a plot excuse for why he carries so much stuff and takes so much punishment. Like the Light Burden, which is a chunk of energy from the big bang encased in amber. It lets Turok reach in and pull out his arsenal, gear, ammo, etc. He also has a magic chest piece that protects him from harm, and magic leggings that make him faster and with more agility.

Wasn't this a comic?

Yes, but I never read more than a single issue so I'll probably not delve too deeply into it.

Spoiler policy

There really isn't much to spoil. Plus the games are 15+ years old, so go nuts.

The Games

The first Turok, Turok Dinosaur Hunter, was released on the Nintendo 64 in 1997. The game was originally concieved as a third person game along the lines of Tomb Raider or Mario 64. They switched to first person feeling that it was a better way to show off the 3D processing power of the N64, and that it pulled you more into the game. Acclaim bought the rights to the Turok comics in the hopes that having something licensed would lead to better sales and possible merch, as they were bleeding out financially at the time. It was ended up being successful enough in preorders alone that a sequel was announced before the first game was released.

Weapons (what you're here for)

Knife - Your basic melee weapon, and your only fallback if you run out of ammo. Also the only one you can use underwater.

Tek Bow - Your starting ranged weapon, uses regular arrows and Tek (explosive) arrows. Regular arrows do more damage with further draws and big damage with good timing, Tek arrows just do big damage whenever they hit something.

Pistol - The standard pistol, decent fire rate, lower damage.

Shotgun - Your standard shotgun, has a spread, does good damage up close, slow rate of fire.

Auto Shotgun - Obsoletes the regular shotgun before we even get it, same great damage, triple the rate of fire.

Assault Rifle - Kind of a better pistol, uses the same ammo, but fires in a 3 shot burst so it kills quicker.

Pulse Rifle - Our first energy weapon, very high rate of fire with no recoil.

Grenade Launcher - High explosive weapon, grenades explode on enemy impact or after a short period from leaving the gun. Explosions can damage you if you use it too close to yourself.

Minigun - Extremely high rate of fire, burns through ammo and enemies fairly quickly.

Shockwave WeaponParticle Accelerator - Hold down the trigger to charge the weapon, has a 5 stage charge that increases in blast radius, damage, and energy cell usage centered from the point of impact. The only weapon that can kill monkeys.

Alien Weapon - Fires a small energy shot that explodes after half a second. Damage on the shot is small but damage on the explosion is roughly the same as an explosive shotgun shell.

Quad Rocket Launcher - Fires 4 rockets when you pull the trigger, that's about all there is to it. Rockets have a bit of a wave pattern to them so some rockets may miss the target sometimes.

Fusion Cannon - Huge damage to a large area, only the strongest enemies take more than one shot. Temporarily blinds the person holding the controller.

Chronosceptor - Massive damage to a smaller explosion size focal point. Will take Tal'Set from a full 250 health to dead in a single shot. Blinds the player like the Fusion Cannon does, just in a peppermint color instead of urine.

Episodes
Episode 01- Meet the Hunter
Episode 02 - Spectacular Dodging gently caress Ups
Episode 03 - The Jungle
Episode 04 - Less Jungle Left Than Expected
Episode 05 - Maybe Those First Raptors Were Pets
Episode 06 - Slightly Less Glaring Technical Issues
Episode 07 - The Best Game Mechanic
Episode 08 - More Bigger Explosives
Episode 09 - Memory Failure
Episode 10 - Keeping Warm In The Catacombs
Episode 11 - I Love this Gun
Episode 12 - Exterminating More Species
Episode 13 - I Want A Tree House Like This Even Today
Episode 14 - The Air Up Here is Mighty Thin
Episode 15 - What Doesn't Kill Us
Episode 16 - Odd Geological Structures
Episode 17 - Everything But A Fortress
Episode 18 - Oh Here's The Foretress
Episode 19 - A Series Of Unfortunate Events
Episode 20 - Bouncing Back
Episode 21 - Hello Darkness My Old Friend
Episode 22 - A Broken Warrior

Bonus 01 - Normal Mode and Mortal Wounds
Bonus 02 - Training Day
Bonus 03 - Know Your Prey
Bonus 04 - CHEATS!!

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil is the sequel to Turok: Dinosaur hunter developed by the same team as Turok 1, Iguana Entertainment, was released for the Nintendo 64 on October 21, 1998. A port of the game was also released for Microsoft Windows shortly afterwards. The game has 6 levels (Down from Turok 1's 8 levels) where the player's end goal is to take out a powerful evil alien called the Primagen, who was recently woken up. Turok 2 adds in a multiplayer mode that many remember fondly. Turok 2 came hot off the heels of the first Turok's success, and was announced before Turok 1 was even released. Turok 2 was delivered to a waiting world with a great amount of critical and commercial success, praising the game's AI, weapons, and sound design in particular. Many reviewers paid particular attention to the now famous Cerebral Bore, which has been mentioned countless times in top ten weapons in FPS games lists. Turok 2 improves on nearly everything the original had with an exception of the framerate. The developers were given a copy of the 4MB expansion pack for the N64 and they used it to add more detail to the game world at the cost of the games framerate. It is by no means unplayable, but it is enough to be noticeable.

Weapons

Talon - A basic melee weapon, 2 claws attached to a leather wrist strap with a handle, just swing it really.

War Blade - An upgraded Talon, hits a couple times on each swing and can remove heads and limbs.

Flare Gun - Temporarily lights up dark areas, has infinite ammo.

Bow - Does more damage the longer you pull back on the bow, arrows have a fall off over distance but can be pick back up assuming you can get to them.

Tek Bow - A better bow, you have no resaon to use the regular bow after getting this, can use tek arrows, faster pull, and it can snipe.

Pistol - A basic firearm you point and shoot and it does damage, some rapid fire capability.

Mag 60 - The upgraded Pistol, fires a 3 round burst that does more damage than 3 rounds out of the Pistol. Can remove limbs.

Shotgun - Does more damage the closer you are to an enemy, our first weapon that can remove limbs.

Shredder - The upgraded Shotgun, fires rounds that exploded into ricocheting shrapnel, and explosive rounds bounce aroung in a single beam, but bounce for longer.

Tranquilizer Gun - Puts enemies to sleep after a couple shots. Sleep doesn't last very long so make it count.

Plasma Rifle - Redisigned as a sniping weapon in this game from Turok 1, preferred to the Tek Bow in some areas due to night vision.

Grenade Launcher - Returning from Turok 1 the Grenade Launcher retains its splash damage , but seems to loose a good bit of its power.

Harpoon Gun - The first underwater projectile weapon, higher damage than you would expect and you can collect the used spears the same as arrows.

Torpedo Launcher - The other underwater projectile weapon. Fires two torpedoes per trigger pull, torpedoes explode. Better used for its enhanced speed underwater than as an actual weapon.

Charged Dart Rifle - A much improved upgrade to the Tranquilizer Gun. Stuns nearly all enemies in the game, keeping them ocked down with an electric shock. Can be charged to 5 staged, keeping enemies locked down for longer and using more darts with higher level charges.

Flamethrower - Spits a flammable substance over an arc. Has a surprisingly large range due to the gun firing in an arc rather than a stream of flame.

Cerebral Bore - This gun locks onto a being with intelligence, then fires a homing bore to find the top of their head, drill in, and explode. This gun is still famous among various greatest weapons in a FPS game lists. Truly a masterpiece of weapon design.

Sunfire Pod - Explodes in a bright flash when thrown. The Flash blinds other enemies and burns Blind Ones outright. Only available in Level 4.

Firestorm Cannon - The minigun replacement in Turok 2. Takes a brief period to warm up and start spinning, but is a much better use of the plasma rounds than the plasma rifle is when at mid or short ranges.

PFM Layer - Drops a mins that does decent damage. Very slow rate of fire means it's really bad for any enemy that's already aware of you.

Scorpion Missile Launcher - Locks onto enemies and fires three homing missiles for each trigger pull.

Razorwind - A circular saw chakram hybrid that comes back after you throw it. Has no targeting reticle but also ha infinite ammo, or no ammo, depending on how you want to look at it.

Episodes

w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife
w/Leavemywife

Bonus 1 - Multiplayer Explained (I think)
Bonus 2 - Semi-active Multiplayer Showdown

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

BONUS MATERIAL

operative lm explains the comics

operative lm and Dinosaur Hunter's cut content

operative lm and a whold bunch of Seeds of Evil cut content

Blind Sally explains the backstories of The Primagen and Oblivion (some Turok 3 plot spoilers)

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 5, 2016

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Oh man, this brings me back. I was ten when the first Turok game came out and the first two in the series were in my top ten favorite games for the N64. Really loved the weapon designs for these titles, large arsenal with a lot of creativity, especially the second game. Fun fact, besides the comic book there was also a book series that tried to cover the plot for Turok 2 that from what I could remember was completely insane, especially with how it tried to cover the ending or explaining Turok's magical bag of weapons. :allears:

Very excited for this LP.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 8, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Turok was pretty cool back in the day, blowing up dudes and raptors with ridiculous guns was a lot of fun. The janky platforming kind of ruined things for me, though, these games were balls hard even without the risk of falling into a bottomless pit every ten seconds.

I didn't watch the second video yet so apologies if I'm repeating things you've already said, but some of the people from Iguana Entertainment went on to form Retro Studios. I guess there was a reason why playing Metroid Prime reminded me of Turok in many ways.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Ah for the days of yore when first person shooters still drew inspiration primarily from doom instead of halo. :nallears:

I remember trying to navigate the various platforms and narrow paths with the N64 controller. It is not a pleasant memory. The duel analog stick is a great advance in modern console gaming.

What was up with your pump shotgun? Seemed to be clipping out of existence.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
When I was a little tyke, I had two games to start with: Super Mario 64, and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Now I've got about 100 games and 9 consoles. Mario and Turok basically gave the reason I'll never get married.

Anyway, I'm excited to see one of my first games from another's perspective!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Now I've got about 100 games and 9 consoles. Mario and Turok basically gave the reason I'll never get married.
Only 100 games and nine systems? You still have some hope. Just watch out, before you know it you're buying consolized Neo Geo arcade boards and RGB modded import consoles and god knows what.

Me? I'm a lost cause at this point. :negative:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

I didn't watch the second video yet so apologies if I'm repeating things you've already said, but some of the people from Iguana Entertainment went on to form Retro Studios. I guess there was a reason why playing Metroid Prime reminded me of Turok in many ways.

I didn't know this at all, that's awesome.

Klaus88 posted:

What was up with your pump shotgun? Seemed to be clipping out of existence.

Near as I can tell it's a bug in the games emulation, but I couldn't find a graphics plugin that would correct it. Also I didn't look very hard. If anything else happens I can switch to the console and do it that way.

Doc Morbid posted:

Only 100 games and nine systems? You still have some hope. Just watch out, before you know it you're buying consolized Neo Geo arcade boards and RGB modded import consoles and god knows what.

Me? I'm a lost cause at this point. :negative:

I'm not counting mine, but as long as we leave steam libraries out of the equation we might me ok, right?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Turok 2 was the first OMGMATUREBLOODANDGUTS game I ever played. I have good memories of it.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I never managed to beat Turok 2, so I'll be looking into this with interest. I've been hoping for years that someone would LP these games!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Turok 2 was the first OMGMATUREBLOODANDGUTS game I ever played. I have good memories of it.

Our definitions of OMGMATUREBLOODANDGUTS has certainly shifted.

Also, the shift from 2.5.d to true 3d was not kind to shooters. Those textures. :negative:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Disco Mode was the greatest cheat in Turok 1, the sky would constantly flash different colours and all the enemies would dance, or spin in circles.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My parents never let me play bloody, gory games as a kid, but for some reason they made an exception for Turok. Some of the best FPS weapons ever come from there. Thanks for LPing this.

Will you be showing off Rage Wars?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

My parents never let me play bloody, gory games as a kid, but for some reason they made an exception for Turok. Some of the best FPS weapons ever come from there. Thanks for LPing this.

Will you be showing off Rage Wars?

Yes, I'll show off rage wars. I just don't want to go through Turok Evolution again.

TheTrueProtoman
Oct 31, 2012
It's good to see Turok show up, I recall always having a blast with the old N64 Turoks. One thing I do remember was liking at first but then really hating the cut scenes for Turok 2 only because the length of them, and I could never find a way to skip them.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Klaus88 posted:

Our definitions of OMGMATUREBLOODANDGUTS has certainly shifted.

Also, the shift from 2.5.d to true 3d was not kind to shooters. Those textures. :negative:

To put things in context, my mom banned Power Rangers because she thought it was too violent.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

To put things in context, my mom banned Power Rangers because she thought it was too violent.
:psyduck:

As for Turok 2, that game actually is pretty drat violent, especially for a 1998 Nintendo 64 game. You get to sever enemies' limbs and heads, blow these huge gaping holes in their chests (you can see the ribs sticking out and everything), and suck their brains out with the cerebral bore. I guess Nintendo allowed it because most of the enemies in that game were these weird vaguely dinosaur-like alien monsters.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Added a spoiler policy just in case it wasn't obvious that there really isn't anything to spoil except for new cool weapons, and that would just make me want to see them more.

Also yeah Turok 2 is fairly graphic for the time with individual parts being blown off and the bones sticking out of the removes appendage. Still my favorite of the series and I can't wait to get to it. Easily my favorite weapon collection in an FPS.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Did the original game have your vision clip through walls all the time or is that also an artifact of the emulation?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Mzbundifund posted:

Did the original game have your vision clip through walls all the time or is that also an artifact of the emulation?
That's just N64 emulation for you. It's still pretty bad after all these years.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

As my dad would say to me everyday before taking me to school when I was like 10 or something "It's time Turok and to roll". Best dad.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I would have had better memories of Turok 1 if not for the platforming (and the keys, and the platforming required to reach keys). I got fed up fast and used cheats to get all the guns, infinite ammo, and boss warps, which was great if only because I got to do less wandering around in search of things that weren't guys to shoot, though I never got to see the rest of the actual game. Turok 2 looked like it had less of that and more of the actually fun part (killing bad guys in gory ways) but I never did get a hold of it. Looking forward to seeing what I missed!

e: The visual clipping certainly wasn't as bad on a legit N64 but it definitely happened even on the regular system, usually while climbing. I also could have sworn there was a no-clip cheat I used which is extremely weird for a console game.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 9, 2015

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I watched a Youtube LP a few years back where someone kept mispronouncing grenades as genades and somehow constantly managed to make Freudian slips about blowing dudes off.

Basically looking forward to this. Loved the Turok games. That CPad controls for N64 shooters for life.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh, Turok. "We clearly have a deep and involved backstory around who you are, where this is, and why you are killing all the mans, but you don't care about that, so here's some dinosaurs to shoot with explosive shotgun shells." :allears:

Never got far in Turok 1, so I'm looking to see what I missed.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

e: The visual clipping certainly wasn't as bad on a legit N64 but it definitely happened even on the regular system, usually while climbing. I also could have sworn there was a no-clip cheat I used which is extremely weird for a console game.

This is accurate. I know you could see through the walls some while climbing them, but I haven't been able to check on the console yet to verify.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Just noticed this thread. I am so excited for it. Unreal Tournament 2k4 is probably my favorite deathmatch/'old school' style FPS ever, but goddamn if Turok 64 doesn't kind of epitomize that sort of ethos in some ways for me. Fun, crazy and varied weapons, gore, and lots of weird enemies thrown in because why the gently caress not.

Shine on, you.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Zushio posted:

I watched a Youtube LP a few years back where someone kept mispronouncing grenades as genades and somehow constantly managed to make Freudian slips about blowing dudes off.

I think I watched that exact same LP...

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Something you don't mention about mortal wounds in the video is that they only drop if you kill enemies with either the knife or regular arrows, so it's an incentive to use those weapons a least until you hit the limit.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Spudd posted:

I think I watched that exact same LP...

Ha ha, most likely if you ever went looking for an LP of the Turok games. He was at least decent at the games and covered the original trilogy. Everyone else was either terrible quality or cam whoring.
I've ultimately played the hell out of (but only beat by cheating) all three of the original Turok games and Rage Wars (every copy I ever found was one of the glitched ones where you can't progress multiplayer co-op past a certain stage). I've also beat the one that came out during the XBox/Gamecube era (what a weird loving game, I don't even want to talk about it). Played a demo of TUROK 2K6 but it didn't appeal.

I dont know posted:

Something you don't mention about mortal wounds in the video is that they only drop if you kill enemies with either the knife or regular arrows, so it's an incentive to use those weapons a least until you hit the limit.

I honestly didn't know about these until last year when I watched aforementioned LP.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I dont know posted:

This one I did know, I just was apparently dumb. I even had it written down in front of me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zushio posted:

Ha ha, most likely if you ever went looking for an LP of the Turok games. He was at least decent at the games and covered the original trilogy. Everyone else was either terrible quality or cam whoring.
Why isn't Turok a more popular LP game? Is it because of the horrible quality of N64 emulation? Either way, I requested Turok in the official request thread a couple of years ago, so I'm glad to see someone fulfill it.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
Will you be emulating Seeds of Evil when you get to it? Last I checked, N64 emulators couldn't handle the game's real-time lighting system and won't render anything that isn't a static light. Since fire, energy blasts, and even an entire, though little-used, mechanic (the flashlight) all use it, I'm worried that the viewers will be missing out on seeing Turok 2 as beautiful as it was on the console release. :( (or as beautiful as 480i could be, at any rate)

Also dark. Sizable bits of a couple of levels will be really dark.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

operative lm posted:

Will you be emulating Seeds of Evil when you get to it? Last I checked, N64 emulators couldn't handle the game's real-time lighting system and won't render anything that isn't a static light. Since fire, energy blasts, and even an entire, though little-used, mechanic (the flashlight) all use it, I'm worried that the viewers will be missing out on seeing Turok 2 as beautiful as it was on the console release. :( (or as beautiful as 480i could be, at any rate)

Also dark. Sizable bits of a couple of levels will be really dark.

I'm likely gonna have to use the console for that one, there's only one emulator I've found that plays the sound at all, and it's kinda screwy with the controls. I just need to figure out if my expansion pack is fried or not first so I can show off the high res textures.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Okay video one already blew my mind cause I have NEVER EVER have seen that secret portal thing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

RickVoid posted:

Oh, Turok. "We clearly have a deep and involved backstory around who you are, where this is, and why you are killing all the mans, but you don't care about that, so here's some dinosaurs to shoot with explosive shotgun shells." :allears:

Never got far in Turok 1, so I'm looking to see what I missed.

Mostly because the comics the game draw from really don't have that much going on with them either? A very abridged history that i recently learned when i looked up the Turok comics :v:

Essentially the character of Turok has been around since like 70's or 80's i believe? The only thing they took out of that was the name of the dude in the game (Tal'Set) and the setting (The Lost Lands). Even when Rebellion Comics rebooted Turok back around the time the game was released it still has very little to do with the game itself but i believe how Turok looks in game is how he looked in the comics? But in any case the game is basically only takes names from the comics and everything else Iguana Entertainment (before they split off and a good portion of them went on to make Shadowman, had no idea they also went on to found Retro though!) made up on their own.

Agreeing with the "this was my first major M rated game" sentiment going on, my dad didn't really care and my mom was the kind that was like "well as long as the blood isn't red it's fine" thing.

We would turn the blood back on when she left the room :v:

Edit:

Y-Hat posted:

Why isn't Turok a more popular LP game? Is it because of the horrible quality of N64 emulation? Either way, I requested Turok in the official request thread a couple of years ago, so I'm glad to see someone fulfill it.

Because the games are so loving huge it'd take forever to do. But apparently we have a brave one here!

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drc7gQPwows :black101:

I've always loved these games, even if i could never get past the first level in any of them.

Good luck to you!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Mostly because the comics the game draw from really don't have that much going on with them either? A very abridged history that i recently learned when i looked up the Turok comics :v:

Essentially the character of Turok has been around since like 70's or 80's i believe? The only thing they took out of that was the name of the dude in the game (Tal'Set) and the setting (The Lost Lands). Even when Rebellion Comics rebooted Turok back around the time the game was released it still has very little to do with the game itself but i believe how Turok looks in game is how he looked in the comics? But in any case the game is basically only takes names from the comics and everything else Iguana Entertainment (before they split off and a good portion of them went on to make Shadowman, had no idea they also went on to found Retro though!) made up on their own.

Yeah, I was aware that the comics were mostly "Turok, a thing happened!" "Oh no, that thing is bad!" "Kill all the bad mans!" and then Turok spends the other 80% of the comic killing the mans. I was appreciating that they embraced that, rather than trying to shoe in a bunch of lore that 9-12 year-olds weren't going to care about. Of course, I was the kid that age that wanted to know more about the backstory, of which there really wasn't any.

Also I think I remember the Turok from Seeds of Evil being a relatively new incarnation (not Tal'Set, although he sees him in visions?), who is actually a college student from our world. A frat boy. And he's only part Native American? Yeah, I don't remember much of it.

Looking forward to Turok 2 and Rage Wars. I had a glitched cartridge for that game, but it was still pretty great. The inflation gun was fun, even if I'm sure it's now, and was probably then, someone's fetish.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I always wondered why the box art for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter had someone different than the Turok that you play as (Tal Set). The mini comic that comes with the instruction booklet has both Tal Set and the guy on the box. Ultimately the Turok that isn't Tal Set defeats the Campaigner by stumping him with baseball trivia or that old "Who's on first" bit. Something baseball related, in any case. I'm not sure exactly how that works but it was an interesting read.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
Comic :spergin: incoming.

Turok started off as a Dell Comics one-shot in 1954's Four Color Comics #596. In it, two pre-Contact American Indians, Turok and his young ward Andar, get lost in a cavern system while searching for water. They wind up in the Lost Valley, a place with dinosaurs and other mid-century conceptions of prehistoric creatures. Turok received another issue a year later before being given his own quarterly comic series, Turok, Son of Stone, in March 1956. The comic followed a predictable pattern: our heroes are trying to find a way out of the Lost Valley, they're attacked by a creature/caveman, they might meet a "good" group of people and protect them from the creature/caveman-looking guy, and exeunt. It went like this for 130 issues (not counting a couple of specials) and two publisher changes (to Gold Key in 1962 and to Gold Key subsidiary Whitman in 1981) before being canceled.

Then along came a young, upstart publisher called Valiant, who proceeded to license a few of Gold Key's old titles, including Turok, who gets a test run in the form of cameos in Magnus: Robot Fighter and Archer and Armstrong. In 1993, there was Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. This version of Turok was a continuation of the Son of Stone version but with added science! At some point after the end of the previous series, Andar leaves Turok to settle down with a girl from a village. While wandering the Lost Valley alone, Turok is located by a woman named Erica Pierce (she calls herself Mothergod), a woman from the future who has used her radiation-induced superpowers to set up shop in the Lost Land (no longer the Lost Valley as of here, roughly), which is revealed as a place caught all up in the timestream and where time moves super slow (thus, dinosaurs) but where other things can still accidentally arrive (thus, Turok, Andar, and all of the random people they encountered. Also robots once I think). Mothergod wants to use the Lost Land as a base from which to remake reality. It's something to do with her being displaced from her original universe, but I haven't read all of Valiant's lead-up to Unity, so I dunno.

Mothergod brainwashes Turok into helping her, which he does, but he gets better, and when Mothergod is defeated, the Lost Land starts to collapse. Andar is sent back to his own time. Turok is flung roughly a hundred years into his future. Issue one of Dinosaur Hunter starts with Turok in a Colombian jungle having found himself in the year 1987. The rest of the comic is about him dealing with Mothergod's remaining bionically-enhanced velociraptors and also all of the people who want to profit off of his being a living relic of the past. One of these people is Israel Crockett, also known as the Longhunter (hmmmm). Later in the series, Turok returns to the (now all better!) Lost Land with Andar's grandson and faces off against a robotic tyrant that calls himself the Campaigner (hmmmmmmmm). Dinosaur Hunter lasted 47 issues (with a few specials for 51 total) before being canceled in August of 1996.

Of course, by this point, Acclaim, who had bought Valiant the previous year, had already enlisted Iguana Entertainment to make a video game based off of their then-popular comic series about a Native American shooting dinosaurs. And it was very heavily influenced by Valiant's comic. The Longhunter and the Campaigner both make an appearance, as do mechanized raptors and Turok's fancy-looking bow. And here's kind of where it gets confusing. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter the game was released in February of 1997, just one month before Acclaim Comics' new reboot of Turok featuring a college student named Joshua Fireseed (he's a full-blooded American Indian, just to set the record straight) as protector of Earth and next in line for the mantle of Turok (now a job title instead of having ever been a guy's name in-universe).

As pointed out a few posts ago, the guy on the box is Joshua Fireseed (sort of dressed up like Tal'Set). Best I can tell, Acclaim figured that this was a good way to promote and capitalize on their upcoming comic series. And yes, the instruction booklet has both Joshua and Tal'Set as main characters. The character of Tal'Set was originally created by Acclaim as an homage to Valiant's character of Turok. Then Seeds of Evil's backstory identified the previous game's protagonist (who was also based off of Valiant's character of Turok) as Tal'Set and an online webcomic produced by Acclaim retold the final boss fight of Dinosaur Hunter from Tal'Set's perspective, and so the two characters (original game Turok and Tal'Set) are now sort of horribly entangled.

:pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Y-Hat posted:

I always wondered why the box art for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter had someone different than the Turok that you play as (Tal Set). The mini comic that comes with the instruction booklet has both Tal Set and the guy on the box. Ultimately the Turok that isn't Tal Set defeats the Campaigner by stumping him with baseball trivia or that old "Who's on first" bit. Something baseball related, in any case. I'm not sure exactly how that works but it was an interesting read.

It was a question about the Abbot and Costello setup you mentioned, namely what the name of the player on second base was. This was Joshua Fireseed's (the other Turok) way of 'outsmarting' the Campaigner. It's viewable here if you want to look at it again.

fake e: I may be beat on comic info but not a way to see the comic!

• Locked thread