Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Huh, i got a bunch of names wrong, and wikipedia made NO mention of any the actual contents of the comics! I don't suppose the Oblivion poo poo came out of the comics at some point as well? Because while i never did play 3 the way they just kind of get dropped on you in 2 made me think they maybe there was originally a plan to have them show up in some kind of tie in so that "Primagen oh yeah also loving OBLIVION ITSELF" was going to be a bigger part of the game in some way? 2 is also so loving massive i don't doubt that the Oblivion guys had a bunch of stuff planned that got cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, I just can't imagine playing this with a controller. Just watching the videos makes me a little bit motion sick.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
Oh you have no idea I used to play this on an actual N64 and even then it took a lot of getting used too. And if i'm not mistaken it had the worst feature an FPS can ever have, where the crosshairs always try to recenter so you have to hold the stick in place at weird angles to aim.

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, I just can't imagine playing this with a controller. Just watching the videos makes me a little bit motion sick.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

PurpleXVI posted:

The controls for Turok were completely different from every other FPS of the era. The C buttons were used for movement, and the stick was used for aiming--it was like an N64 controller adaptation of a mouse and keyboard. I liked it a lot but it was really awkward to get used to at first. I'm not sure if it's changable.

Incinerated Pastry
Feb 25, 2011
It's been 17 years, and that loving first level theme is still stuck in my head.

Looking forward to the rest of the LP!

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

2 is also so loving massive i don't doubt that the Oblivion guys had a bunch of stuff planned that got cut.

Very early in development, an entire level, actually! :v: I can talk about it when we get to the next game, I guess, but originally the Flesh Eaters had a level all to themselves just after the Death Marshes, though who knows if their connection to Oblivion had been conceived of back then. Oblivion isn't from the comics and was made just for the games, but its sole purpose was sequel bait. They were very confident of the series' success even then, it seems.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Now this is how you design some motherfucking box art

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Part of me wonders what happened to Turok. Like why did it lose its charm?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Because the later games were real bad.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Zain posted:

The games generally aged pretty badly because they were just HAMMERED by the technical limitations of the time, like the draw distance so bad that Turok has become a persistent callback whenever something has a poo poo draw distance, and generally the early-3D graphics that have just aged really poorly because there's nothing really stylized to them that plays to simplicity.

So I think that kind of killed a lot of Turok-nostalgia and meant no one was really all that eager to pick it up and run with it later.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Wow, I played the poo poo out of Turok and never knew that you could OHK dudes by shooting the bow when the arrow has that little glint on it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zain posted:

Acclaim went out of business a while back, and whoever got the rights to Turok obviously didn't care about making the more recent games worth playing.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
Disney owns the rights currently iirc, and after Evolution and Turok 2008 i don't blame them for wanting to give the series a little break/kill it off completely

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Zain posted:

The first post N64 game, Turok Evolution, was a really mediocre mess of a game. Then came the Turok reboot which decided that what Turok needed were space marines and a military plot. Both games left a bad taste in peoples mouths about Turok and basically killed any chance of future games.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Sorry this took so long, My sister's bridal shower was this past weekend and the prep took up a lot of my time over the past week. Should be back on track from here on out. Made this one a little longer to make up for it. Let me know if you guys prefer the longer vids.
Episode 03 - the Jungle

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I like the longer episodes but man you got your poo poo kicked in while trying to explain stuff.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I really do love the underwater music so much in this game. I remember just chilling underwater for a long rear end time just cause I loved it so much.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
The original Turok is super nostalgic for me so I appreciate the fact that someone who knows their poo poo is doing an LP of it (and a pretty good looking one so far). Thanks PSWII60.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Oh hell yes! I have been wanting to see a well-done Turok LP for who knows how long. This game, and it's sequel, were a major timesink in my youthful days. Never was very good at beating levels, but I loved toying around with all the weapons. So. Many. Weapons. Especially the Frisbee of Doom from Game 2... this is gonna be great.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I never played the N64 games but I do remember that the Gamecube one (Evolution, maybe?) was one of the first Gamecube games I owned. I played it so goddamn much in the absence of other games (I think all I had otherwise for a good while was Star Wars Rogue Squadron and Super Monkey Ball).

It had terrible, terrible pterodactyl flying sections, obtuse jumping puzzles and really, really overpowered sabretooth tigers on the jungle level.

This LP is good to watch, and reminding me for some reason of other oddball N64 games I really wish would get LPs - the ports of Quake and Quake 2 that didn't bear all that much resemblance to the PC versions, Forsaken (I think that was the title, it was basically a knockoff Descent) and Body Harvest, the really weird open-world fetch-quest alien shooting game.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Body Harvest, IIRC, was basically just Rockstar's test engine for GTA III.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Bob Smith posted:

I never played the N64 games but I do remember that the Gamecube one (Evolution, maybe?) was one of the first Gamecube games I owned. I played it so goddamn much in the absence of other games (I think all I had otherwise for a good while was Star Wars Rogue Squadron and Super Monkey Ball).

It had terrible, terrible pterodactyl flying sections, obtuse jumping puzzles and really, really overpowered sabretooth tigers on the jungle level.

But it had poison arrows that made dudes literally puke their guts out,and a little robot spider buddy. And the game's rendition of the Bore was loving brutal, if my memory is correct. But yeah,game was otherwise dumb. Not as dumb as the Touchstone Turok,but pretty dumb.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Turok Evolution was the one where I stopped. The weapons were great, especially the swarm bore and sniper pistol. If they only stopped taking some of them away between levels. I liked the dinosaur riding second, the triceratops with gatling guns and morters was awesome, because I knew I was going to keep those awesome weapons throughout. I don't really remember the game much aside from that. I don't even really remember the dino flying sections other than that they existed. I think it was a pteranodon, though size wise it was a quetzalcoatlus.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Body Harvest, IIRC, was basically just Rockstar's test engine for GTA III.

It was also pretty fun, although it was also terribly unforgiving and suffered from the same control/ camera issues that plagued many games from that time period.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Body Harvest went through such ridiculous development hell that I'm surprised the game ended up being as good as it was. Nintendo Life did a feature on the making of Body Harvest recently, and it's a good read: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/feature_the_making_of_body_harvest

I want a Body Harvest remake with the GTA V engine.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Casualty posted:

It was also pretty fun, although it was also terribly unforgiving and suffered from the same control/ camera issues that plagued many games from that time period.

Yeah. Honestly, I feel like 'incredible if you can get past the controls' sums up a lot of the better N64 games.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm erect and I don't know what to do

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Doc Morbid posted:

Body Harvest went through such ridiculous development hell that I'm surprised the game ended up being as good as it was. Nintendo Life did a feature on the making of Body Harvest recently, and it's a good read: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/feature_the_making_of_body_harvest

That would be awesome. It was a crapton of fun if you could get past the controls and stayed well away from any body of water.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

It's a bit of a shame DMA/Rockstar North is just the Grand Theft Auto developer now, because I'm not a huge fan of modern GTA (2 and 3 are my favorites to this day) and would definitely like to see them try a smaller project more in line with their earlier work. A new Body Harvest or a spiritual successor would be perfect.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Having never tried Body Harvest, I'm not really sure what I am missing out on. I do feel like I am in a very small minority that genuinely enjoyed the N64 controller.

Also operative lm, I never said properly but awesome thanks for the comic dump. If there is more related to the games at all, please drop it in here. I only read one issue that i still have that came in a big 50 pack of random comics, and I do not remember it at all.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

PSWII60 posted:

Having never tried Body Harvest, I'm not really sure what I am missing out on

Imagine pre-pre-pre-alpha of GTA 3 with loving huge aliens and destructable environment (buildings, mostly) in unbelievably large (for 1997) and varied 3D maps. It's janky as hell, but also really fun if you can handle the jankiness. A remake/sequel in a modern engine would be the greatest thing, but I don't think anyone at Rockstar even remembers that game.

Back to Turok, I remember using the pump-action shotgun all the time. The rhythm of the pump really helped my aim for some reason. Every time I tried the autoshotty I'd just spray the shots all over and never hitting anything. With the pump I was a shotgun sniper.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

By the way PSWII60, I think you should do the longer videos like the one in the latest update, since the levels are big.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Ok then, longer vids will start after this upcoming one. There was a lot less level left than I realized. Level 3 is absolutely huge, and I can't wait.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Doc Morbid posted:

That's just N64 emulation for you. It's still pretty bad after all these years.

I hate this statement whenever it comes up. The most popular N64 emulator is plugin-based, so bad plugins cause issues. The default plugins are, in fact, bad. If you get a good one, it stops being an issue. As an example, Glide64 and maybe even RiceVideo won't do this. Glide64 in general is pretty good and makes a lot of games that had issues better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Turok's one of those games that makes me miss cheat codes and draw distances under twenty feet. :allears:

Rage Wars was legit good though, except that bug where you couldn't unlock everything because one of the characters' campaigns had a level that would never mark as complete, but you know.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Cheez posted:

I hate this statement whenever it comes up. The most popular N64 emulator is plugin-based, so bad plugins cause issues. The default plugins are, in fact, bad. If you get a good one, it stops being an issue. As an example, Glide64 and maybe even RiceVideo won't do this. Glide64 in general is pretty good and makes a lot of games that had issues better.

Glide fixes the clipping issues, but causes an issue where the textures are tiled very close together, and it causes some very obvious repeating textures. I'll be switching to the console as soon as i can.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

Ok then, longer vids will start after this upcoming one. There was a lot less level left than I realized. Level 3 is absolutely huge, and I can't wait.
Is that the level with the first boss battle or is that level 4?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Is that the level with the first boss battle or is that level 4?

It's the level with the first boss. Levels 3, 5, and 8 have bosses.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RBA Starblade posted:

Rage Wars was legit good though, except that bug where you couldn't unlock everything because one of the characters' campaigns had a level that would never mark as complete, but you know.

Motherfucker!

That's why I quit playing it in my youth; I never realized it was a bug, I thought there was a problem with my cart.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

PSWII60 posted:

I'm likely gonna have to use the console for that one, there's only one emulator I've found that plays the sound at all, and it's kinda screwy with the controls. I just need to figure out if my expansion pack is fried or not first so I can show off the high res textures.

This might not be an issue anymore: http://www.destructoid.com/turok-and-turok-2-are-being-re-released-for-pc-307957.phtml

• Locked thread