Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BMS posted:

Am I the only one that really enjoyed Seeds of Evil, (headshot gimmick included), and possibly enjoyed the Razor Wind more as a weapon than the Cerebral Bore?

No, I loving loved Seeds of Evil. Also, the Bore was a cool gun, but the Razor Wind was a much better weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I never played Seeds of Evil. I did, however, play plenty of Rage Wars. Cerebral Bore only shows up as a weapon you can pick up, as opposed to one that you come equipped with. But it's worth it to hear that drill sound effect as it kills an enemy.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Firestorm cannon was and is my all time favorite chaingun, I just love how it looks. It has everything I want from a scifi gun: shoots glowy things that explode, has cool moving bits and best of all, it's not lit up like a christmas tree with a million lights.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

MAG60 was the tits and has made me love burst fire pistols in games since.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
You actually can jump to the cave on the right hand side of the bridge at 17 minutes in. It just takes a little finagling to do it right. It's the only way to get over there, though.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

operative lm posted:

You actually can jump to the cave on the right hand side of the bridge at 17 minutes in. It just takes a little finagling to do it right. It's the only way to get over there, though.

Holy poo poo, you can. Thanks, I thought it was to far.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

This and a melee soldier zigzagging over open terrain are a summary of the time's AI advancement. And then shots impacting on the thin air next to cliff corners. But none of that mattered because creepy jungle fog and sick tribal drum beats. It is a testament to the art quality when it overwhelms the other parts being rickety as hell.

Radio fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 25, 2015

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
I have to say, I remembered this game having a lot more types of dinosaurs when I played this as a kid, I might of been thinking of other games in the series. Great LP so far!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

We get to see a few more types of dinosaurs in the next couple of levels. Plus one very important one as a boss

I guess the problem being if you never got very far in the game you'd never seen anything bigger than the raptor :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Turok: Evolution had lots of dinosaurs!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You could play as a raptor and a swarm of mites in Rage Wars.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

New update as we make our way into...the Lost Land. I thought we were already in the Lost Land.

Episode 15 - What Doesn't Kill Us

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 7, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well, as you clearly showed off, you can never have enough weapons, health, and armor in this game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
new Turok: Remastered screens: http://www.gamezone.com/news/feast-your-eyes-radical-action-shots-from-the-turok-remaster-3430633

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Huh, I was expecting something more with a "remaster" than just less fog, and slightly sharper polysaurs.

Oh well, here's hoping they do a bit more with this!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

BMS posted:

Huh, I was expecting something more with a "remaster" than just less fog, and slightly sharper polysaurs.

Oh well, here's hoping they do a bit more with this!

I was expecting a little more as well, maybe higher poly environments or enemies. PS2 era or something, not a huge leap. Are they not building the game assets from the ground up?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also, for a comment on the actual level. The first 2/3 (?) of the level I thought were pretty cool, and a new twist. However, that being said. I don't know. This level is just....just too BROWN AND ORANGE.

But then again it has blaster powered Raptors. Which raises it's cool points by a factor of 10 at least, and then lets not forget the best weapon in the game.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
So what is Tek? Is it a brand? Is it a person that's making all these kickass arrows and body armours?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Maple Leaf posted:

So what is Tek? Is it a brand? Is it a person that's making all these kickass arrows and body armours?

I went to the Turok Wiki and found nothing. I'm guessing it was one of those things that sounded cool and they just rolled with it. Personally, I always kind of thought that they were some sort of heightened technology, seeing as how that's kind of a thing in Turok and his equipment, and they just shortened it to Tek to sound cool.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Dinosoids in Turok are related to the Kremlings in Donkey Kong Country (this was before the Acclaim and Rare split back in '01). You see, "tek" is just a mis-spelling of "tech", and we all know how much those kooky kremlings love to write hard "c" sounds with a "k". Hardcore Turok fans have long suspected their might be a crossover between Turok and Donkey Kong, but with Rare being owned by Microsoft and Acclaim dead in the water, it's hard to say. Maybe Turok will be a Smash Bros character. If Cloud Strife could make it, perhaps Tal'Set or Joshua Fireseed could as well :unsmith:

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
It's been a few years since I've read Valiant's Turok all the way through, but I don't remember anything about "Tek" before this game. I'm with Leave in thinking that they thought it was a Cool™ way of spelling "tech." As for their origins, Valiant's comics had Mothergod give Turok explosive arrows in the backstory. Obviously, there's no Mothergod in the game, but explosive arrows are too good to leave out of a decent weapons roster. :v:

edit: drat it blind sally

PSWII60 posted:

I was expecting a little more as well, maybe higher poly environments or enemies. PS2 era or something, not a huge leap. Are they not building the game assets from the ground up?

Yeah, the engine's being rebuilt last anyone heard, but all of the models/textures/etc are being ported over directly.

operative lm fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 9, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I went to the Turok Wiki and found nothing. I'm guessing it was one of those things that sounded cool and they just rolled with it.
Seeing as this game was made in the '90s, I bet you this is the correct answer.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Y-Hat posted:

Seeing as this game was made in the '90s, I bet you this is the correct answer.

See also: William Shatner's Tek War books.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Remastering typically means transferring something from obsolete publishing stock to current media, and that's about what those screenshots have depicted. The most you'd want to expect is mouse look, and maybe some easy lighting effects or softened model edges.

Radio fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 11, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If nothing else it just means i'll be able to play these ancient games on my garbage computer just fine :v:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I was always under the impression that a remaster improved the quality of the piece when it moved to newer media. While yes, it is improved, I was just expecting more of an improvement. I was under the impression that it was being made in Unreal 4 with updated visuals or something along those lines. It's not that it's bad, just not what I was expecting. I can't really complain either way and if I had more time I'd offer to help the guy with updated models and animations. The models being the originals aren't going to take much away from the game. Might not reach as large of a new audiance but I doubt that is the point of why he's making it. I'm just happy to be able to easily play it again.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Op9wNphq4

get hype

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that looks pretty good and i cant wait to play it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The graphics aren't that much better, but who cares... there's very little fog, and that's what really counts.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, the video does that a LOT more justice than those couple of stills. Still, I'm slightly disappointed in the lack of updated models, BUT, the simple fact that the areas look amazing, and literally no fog that I can see....will certainly be playing the hell out of this. Also, did they up the framerate? Because Turok seems like he's bobbing a little fast there at the end haha.

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

there's very little fog, and that's what really counts.

Really though. There's some pretty rad environments made in this game, which is sad when you find something huge and impressive but have to just imagine what it looks like in its entirety because you can only see ten feet in front of you.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bawbzilla posted:

Really though. There's some pretty rad environments made in this game, which is sad when you find something huge and impressive but have to just imagine what it looks like in its entirety because you can only see ten feet in front of you.
There are a lot of early N64 games that could stand to use a graphical upgrade in that way. Cruisin' USA, I'm looking at you....

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

This same studio is also doing Turok 2 right? As much as i love the N64 version i honestly can't wait to play it with much better controls AND improved draw distance on top of it.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

This same studio is also doing Turok 2 right? As much as i love the N64 version i honestly can't wait to play it with much better controls AND improved draw distance on top of it.

Everyone is saying that Night Dive is doing it, so I assume so. edit: yeah they are.

I'd like to play Turok 2 without the massive stutter and FPS loss. I recently tried to play it on my N64 and I don't know how I ever got anywhere in it, it is unplayable. I'm half convinced that the N64 itself is running slower than it did years ago.

Broose fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 17, 2015

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I feel like Turok 2 will be a choice between higher resolution and possibly better frame rate in an emulator, or the dynamic lighting of playing it on the console. I can't really remember the game stuttering that badly though, maybe in the Mantid Hive?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Actually, I discovered a while ago on my emulator that, apparently, you don't HAVE to have the stutter. There's an option in the menu that goes something like "Hi-Res On or Off" or something along those lines. The game STARTS OFF with "Hi-Res" turned on, but if you turn it off, I found that that actually solved the frame rate issues.

Course, it's still kind of bad design that they started you off on the option that lags the game, but still, they gave you the option. So I'm not nearly as bitter about that as I was in that post a while about. The rest of my complaints about the game still stand though.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 17, 2015

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Broose posted:

Everyone is saying that Night Dive is doing it, so I assume so. edit: yeah they are.

I'd like to play Turok 2 without the massive stutter and FPS loss. I recently tried to play it on my N64 and I don't know how I ever got anywhere in it, it is unplayable. I'm half convinced that the N64 itself is running slower than it did years ago.
Do you have an expansion pak? Supposedly that drops the frame rate in exchange for hi rez textures.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Hey, Turok is on Steam and 20% off right now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Bravo to the OP making this game look easy. Just spend the last 2 and half hours going thorough the first 3 levels and even with easier controls+reduced fog+vaguely knowing what's coming up because of the LP AND playing Normal Mode, this game is actually pretty tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

quote:

the time traveling warrior Turok

Does this come up in the game?

• Locked thread