Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

AstroWhale posted:

Does this come up in the game?

Maybe in the manual, but not anywhere in the game. I don't think it's brought up in 2 or 3 either, but I'm not positive. I know it is heavily mentioned in Turok Evolution.

Also that got released far faster than I'd thought. I'll be grabbing it as soon as I can find my wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

For what it's worth, it's like they took the best of both versions of the game and smashed them together into one! If 2's remake is going to be as good as this then i'm totally excited for it. The one thing to watch out for is that since the game overall runs much faster, the enemies also move around and shoot much faster.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

For what it's worth, it's like they took the best of both versions of the game and smashed them together into one! If 2's remake is going to be as good as this then i'm totally excited for it. The one thing to watch out for is that since the game overall runs much faster, the enemies also move around and shoot much faster.

Please tell me the spiritual invincibility glitch that gives enemies double speed is still a thing. That would be fun.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
Also of note is that they've redesigned parts of the levels. I'd be interested in seeing a comparison video/bunch of images if/when anybody decides they want to do it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

But what about the most important part? I mean cheat codes of course.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Cheat codes are alive and well.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BMS posted:

Please tell me the spiritual invincibility glitch that gives enemies double speed is still a thing. That would be fun.

operative lm posted:

Also of note is that they've redesigned parts of the levels. I'd be interested in seeing a comparison video/bunch of images if/when anybody decides they want to do it.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Ok, I picked this up. Here's a brief lowdown of the first level and part of the third.

First off, the controls are silky smooth as is everything else graphically wise. Runs fine, and sounds great!

Now, there are your standard Easy, Normal and Hard difficulties, which seem to have the same rules as in the 64 version. Also enemy speed is slightly increased on Hard, and they have more HP than in the 64 version (Ancient Warriors take at least 5 bullets to kill now.).

Then there's an extra difficulty, HARDCORE. It ain't bullshitting. Enemies soak up more damage, deal more damage, and move twice as fast. It's seriously like having the Spiritual Invincibility glitch from the 64 version (which is NOT present), on all the time, but even faster. You can't outrun Raptors anymore. You can't constantly backup to avoid all their attacks. Their leap attacks and normal animations are so fast, they hit you always. The first raptor kicked my rear end :( On top of THAT, the normal "weak" enemies, move so fast it's hard to hit them, and grenadiers are far more accurate, and are rapid-fire tossing those fuckers out.

This is going to be a challenge.

Interesting to note though, is that you can change difficulty at any point in the game. Which is nifty.

Also completely new area in level 1 which replaces the area with the Auto-Shotty and 2nd key. Now completely different, and from my limited exploration, the Auto-Shotgun is nowhere to be found.

Overall a good investment, and I'm going to enjoy beating this thing on Hardcore, even if it does seem a bit like a BS difficulty.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Out of curiosity mostly, i looked up the ending to the 3rd Turok game and Jesus Christ the voice acting. They totally hosed up Joshua's character too, at least what character i imagined him having. The weapons looked interesting though? The napalm shotgun mostly got my attention.

I know we won't be getting around to it here for quite a while longer but i for one can't wait now.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Out of curiosity mostly, i looked up the ending to the 3rd Turok game and Jesus Christ the voice acting. They totally hosed up Joshua's character too, at least what character i imagined him having. The weapons looked interesting though? The napalm shotgun mostly got my attention.

Yeah, I noticed that too when I saw Eexecute do his LP of it. It's especially weird when you compare it to THIS game, which had almost no dialogue at all, yet had PHENOMENAL voice acting. This game really is amazing for just how much polish went into every little detail :) ...

Turok 3 Death Cries: uuunnngh....

Turok 1 Death Cries: GRRAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 20, 2015

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean

BMS posted:

Also completely new area in level 1 which replaces the area with the Auto-Shotty and 2nd key. Now completely different, and from my limited exploration, the Auto-Shotgun is nowhere to be found.

It's still there! The wall you have to climb is on the right side of the new area. It's one of the secret areas that count toward that one achievement.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Picked it up but haven't gotten to try it yet due to.. uh various factors. Sounds awesome and I can't wait to try it. After I get through Turok N64.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well just finished beating the new Turok on Hardcore. Very fun, mostly. A few changes here and there, but overall a similar experience! The bosses on Hardcore thankfully don't have the double speed of the normal enemies, which really makes them chumps. With the exception of the Longhunter's Humvee's, which can actually shoot at, and hit you during their opening cutscene :(

A few glitches and oversights too. Mostly in level 7 oddly enough. The key symbol on the beginning and end level portals shows the level 3 symbol, and there are TWO chronoscepter pieces in the level. (Both are the same piece, so you can't assemble it early if you collect both. Which, not sure if this is an oversight, or intentional, but I'm betting on the latter!

Speaking of the Chronoscepter......while I don't want to spoil the weapon, let's just say it's damage output is completely different than the N64 version. Let's just put it this way. 3 shots. More than enough to kill anything that moves. (minus those monkeys).

So definitely go pick it up. The sale is still on!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Oddly enough the 2 chronoscepter pieces are there in the original game as well, so that's faithful. I didn't know about it until I was recording and researching the level.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

It's about time.

Episode 16-Odd Geological Structures

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aw yeah the Fusion Cannon :allears:

I memorized the all weapons cheat code when I was 12 just so I could watch that explosion.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I don't think you're actually taking damage when you're jumping on those pillars. It's just a weird thing.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I might not be. You can jump on the lava in armor and not take damage, so this led to my conclusion that I was talking a fraction of a health point of damage. It might be hitting me enough to register the color flash but not enough to actually cause damage.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

You're playing on a real N64 for this LP right? Because doing that section with a mouse and keyboard is hard enough, i can't imagine having to deal using the C-buttons and lovely look spring controller aiming.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

No, the first Turok is being run on an emulator with me using a wired 360 controller. C buttons are maped to ABX & Y, left control stick is the control stick, the two right shoulder buttons are R & Z, the left two shoulder buttons are A&B, and back is L. Start is obvious. I should be switching to the n64 for truck to because the emulators can't quite show off the lighting engine which will likely mean some amount of a visual downgrade. Since the n64 version of Turok 2 has you choose between unnormal frame rate, or higher res textures.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I am really bad at platformers and have bad vertigo; watching your videos makes me legitimately uncomfortable with the sheer amount of 1st person, 3D platforming done with what seems to be very floaty controls. And then there's the blind X+Y velocity jumps, those make me clench up every time...

I don't know because I didn't get into 1st person shooters besides Goldeneye until Halo 1, but was all of that jumping considered fun at the time? Because that's what stopped me from picking this up when it was on sale for super cheap a couple weeks ago. That, and all of that really disorienting camera clipping

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

The Door Frame posted:

disorienting camera clipping
Are you talking about the wall thing? That's an emulation bug.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So here's an interesting little thing i found. They call it a "documentary" but really it's one of the devs of all Turok games talking a little bit about each game.

Plus it's got a trailer for Evolution at the end of it which is just freaking hilarious to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_-PDJ51c4

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Cheez posted:

Are you talking about the wall thing? That's an emulation bug.

Oh, well then. That would make it much easier to play

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like that pool as a means to hide a secret. It's good to know that even with muddy textures stretched out like Silly Putty, they still found ways to be a little subtle about hidden passages.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Oh right I have a thread, Update time.

Episode 17 - Everything but a Fortress

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PSWII60 posted:

Oh right I have a thread, Update time.

Episode 17 - Everything but a Fortress

Nice. Glad to see the Lost Land put to pasture! Always curious as to why they placed 2 Chronoscepter pieces in this level. Oversight? Or perhaps just generosity? Who knows!

The place in which you acquired the 2nd key. The Spiritual Invincibility, AND some Tek Armor are available there even on Hard mode, on the raised areas near the corridor leading out of that room. You have to jump from the metal platform with the key on it down to them though, in a bit of a tricky jump.

Now here's a rumor that I'm wondering if you can prove or debunk. I was uploading my stream of the Remastered version, and on one of the videos somebody commented that if you use the knife dead center on the BACK of an enemy, it's an insta-kill. Never tested this, not sure if I have the patience to, but curious if it's true!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

There is definitely something screwy that goes on with the knife, sometimes it'll one shot leapers and regular enemies with one swipe while on the run. While trying to stand and fight is usually a pretty bad idea.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I'll see what I can find. Not sure how I can consistently hit enemies in the back but I'll see what I can do to prove this or not.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

So I always thought the LP curse was dumb, then my lap top decided to start eating its own hinges and is now having an argument with its power supply and the two are no longer on speaking terms. One of them might be dead, I'll figure it out soon. Wanted to keep everybody in the loop. Back on track as soon as I can fix it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

So I always thought the LP curse was dumb, then my lap top decided to start eating its own hinges and is now having an argument with its power supply and the two are no longer on speaking terms. One of them might be dead, I'll figure it out soon. Wanted to keep everybody in the loop. Back on track as soon as I can fix it.
I was gonna guess you had another wedding to attend to. How many videos are you gonna dedicate to the last level? And will you show off the multitude of cheat codes?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Nah, only one sister, so no more major weddings unless I get one. Should be 3 videos based on my test runs. I want to try and make it 2 so I can start Turok 2, but I keep dying. Cheats are a must to show off considering how many there are, and how rare cheats are in general in modern games.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PSWII60 posted:

It's the LP Blessing. Now you are free to return to your normal life and escape from all of us weirdos on the internet. The Gods of LP often give LPers this chance at freedom, but the fools that we are, we often refuse it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

But if I quit now what will happen to my dream of being internet famous? :ohdear: Besides I'm out of the return policy on the Happauge I bought and I don't have another use for it.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
sunk cost fallacy strikes again

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Turok remastered is on sale again. I picked it up this time. Nothing to say that BMS hasn't already covered, but hot drat does it feel great to play on PC controls. I don't think I can go back to my N64 version.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Update guys, computer is fixed somehow. I eventually gave up fixing it and pulled the hdd to transfer the data I hadn't backed up yet. For whatever reason it just started working when I put everything back together. :iiam:

Recording is done for level 8 and I just need to edit everything (it's 5 videos for the record).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My mind wandered to this and the LISA LP yesterday. Good to see this one back on track.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

PSWII60 posted:

Update guys, computer is fixed somehow. I eventually gave up fixing it and pulled the hdd to transfer the data I hadn't backed up yet. For whatever reason it just started working when I put everything back together. :iiam:

Recording is done for level 8 and I just need to edit everything (it's 5 videos for the record).

As an electronics technician, I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes it's just the ghost in the machine loving with you.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Turok has a special place in my old man heart because my Mom bought it for me in the 4th grade as a surprise. I volunteered to give up my spot on a team for a kid who had been left out and she knew I liked dinosaurs. This was when she had no idea vidya games could have blood and the look of horror as she watched me play it still makes me grin when I remember it.

She asked if I wanted to trade it for pretty much anything. I said no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

We're back on track, getting our feet wet in level 8.

Episode 18 - Oh Here's The Foretress

• Locked thread