Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I hate to say it, but I'm actually interested to see where this plot is going. I mean, the advance team's truck is shot up, the engine's been wrecked, and both the inside and outside are covered in blood splatters. I have no idea what could've possibly happened to them.

Keep it up, guys. This is a trainwreck worth watching. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm also really enjoying how totally straight faced this game is. Like, there is absolutely zero acknowledgement by the characters how silly it is that you're playing a top secret special forces agent driving around in a converted pizza van sneaking past vampires to take out their mobile coverage.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Man, I'm really confused. They keep throwing ammo at you for your lovely silenced pistol and yet it constantly seems like combat is not only a bad idea, but it's the worst idea. So what's the point in all the ammo pick-ups then? Did they think that just because other games have ammo pick-ups that their game needed it as well, or maybe it was to make the super empty levels seem somehow less empty?

Also I wouldn't mind seeing a bonus video of you trying to evade these mad ups vamps through town. How do they react when you're on a ladder or some place they normally can't get to? Do they just sit and stare, or do they jump up and down the buildings waiting for you?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

I hate to say it, but I'm actually interested to see where this plot is going. I mean, the advance team's truck is shot up, the engine's been wrecked, and both the inside and outside are covered in blood splatters. I have no idea what could've possibly happened to them.

Keep it up, guys. This is a trainwreck worth watching. :allears:

They went out for pizza and beer, and ate in the van. But then someone made a drunken suggestion the van was bulletproof, and they had to test it. Since the van wasn't, they broke the engine. In embarrassment over their error, the team slipped away.

Simple, really.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I didn't mention this in the video but when I saw the fat guy on the roof I thought of this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzuM-uZtfYQ

Also I hope you all know what I mean by "on the roof" because that seems to be a common theme. I asked Fenns if anything actually happens soon and he just laughed at me. He is a monster (but not the smelly kind in this game).

Lynx Winters fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 30, 2015

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
So I have a tradition of buying a certain friend bad video games, getting drunk with him, and playing them. This was the game that started that tradition. I have rather "fond" memories of just how bad it gets. Here's to bullets, the most worthless thing in the game, unless plot says otherwise.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I remember hearing about this game, Vampires + Stealth + a monsoon like downpour seemed like it could be pretty cool.

Instead we got this. I rented this (thank god) and never made it past the first segment of the first level because of how aggressively bland it was. That being said I will watch ever video of this LP because you guys are definitely making this fun and interesting.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]

Niggurath posted:

Also I wouldn't mind seeing a bonus video of you trying to evade these mad ups vamps through town. How do they react when you're on a ladder or some place they normally can't get to? Do they just sit and stare, or do they jump up and down the buildings waiting for you?

That was actually something that I completely forgot to show off in the last video, so you'll see it soon.

I just need to find a good Benny Hill-ish theme for when I do.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

bxfenns posted:

I've actually never been able to read the back of the box because my used copy has a super blurry printed cover.

I've actually got this game on PS3 somewhere, came with my PS3. I'll post pictures of the (Unopened) box. Half tempted to play along and see if there's any differences between the versions. Can't be any worse than the 30 something hours I put into Homefront for footage. :suicide: I might even have a capture card floating around somewhere if I can find it again.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I got to say thank you for doing this LP, I remember buying this game at some point because guns and vampires sounded so cool and then never getting past the first real mission area towards the mobile phone objective because I sucked real bad at stealth games. At least Metal Gear Solid and such games were forgiving in some way when you got caught, in this game getting caught, at least for me was a death sentence. Looking forward to the rest of the LP as your commentary is very entertaining and I look forward to seeing what more of the game offers.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]

Nebiros posted:

I've actually got this game on PS3 somewhere, came with my PS3. I'll post pictures of the (Unopened) box. Half tempted to play along and see if there's any differences between the versions. Can't be any worse than the 30 something hours I put into Homefront for footage. :suicide: I might even have a capture card floating around somewhere if I can find it again.

If you want to post scans of the box that would be really awesome of you.
If you end up playing along, you'll see a few extra cutscenes and some changed character models. If you'd like to post screenshots or vids displaying the changes between versions that would also be totally rad (because I'm not going to spend any more money on this game to show that off myself lmao)

koolkevz666 posted:

I got to say thank you for doing this LP, I remember buying this game at some point because guns and vampires sounded so cool and then never getting past the first real mission area towards the mobile phone objective because I sucked real bad at stealth games. At least Metal Gear Solid and such games were forgiving in some way when you got caught, in this game getting caught, at least for me was a death sentence. Looking forward to the rest of the LP as your commentary is very entertaining and I look forward to seeing what more of the game offers.

Oh no when you get caught in this game, unless you get knocked into a cutscene, you're basically dead. There's more or less no way to avoid the enemies in this game.
I'm glad you're enjoying the LP so far though, I hope we can continue to entertain until the end.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Not the greatest quality, my scanner's packed away in a box somewhere and I'm not 100% sure where the hell I put the capture card, so I'll try getting it to run another way.

But for now, have some pictures.

And for shits and giggles, the story and bios from the manual -

The game posted:

Every year, millions of people disappear around the world. Why do they go missing? And where do they go?

For years, the existence of Nightwalkers has been concealed form civilians. The truth, however, is that their existence is as real as those who have fallen victim to them. Until now, these unfortunate victims have all been classified as simply "missing."

It has taken nearly one hundred years for mankind to understand the true nature of the Nightwalkers. Not only are these beings unable to restrain themselves from attacking, but they are capable of an immeasurable amount of damage. Humanity can no longer risk a passive approach against them.

In response to this criss, the American Information Bureau (AIB) has secretly established a special combat unit as a defensive measure. Its mission: to wipe out the Nightwalkers.

A strangely sweet aroma emanates from a city on the west coast of the United States. AS the Nightwalkers' senses dull from the rain that has begun to fall, a battle unfolds. A battle that must not be lost...

Bios posted:

John Lloyd

(AIB Nightwalker Elimination Squad / Main Playable Character )
History: Former member of the Special Forces. Five years ago, his entire team was wiped out when the Nightwalkers attacked the Office of Disease Control (ODC). He joined the AIB's Anti-Nightwalker Mission Team soon after, where he underwent additional training.

Characteristics: The only member of the Nightwalker Elimination Squad to have faced the Nightwalkers in combat. (Ed: why the hell isn't he in charge?) For this reason, he has an accurate grasp of their power. He has advanced combat skills and the knowledge that comes from having fought in numerous battles. He always keeps his cool and rarely speaks.

Hank Harrison
(AIB Nightwalker Elimination Squad, Leader)

History: Former member of the United States Army Special Forces. He is a veteran soldier who has long traveled the world as part of the Special Forces.

Characteristics: A dependable leader. He has extensive knowledge regarding the handling of explosives. This is his first time facing NIghtwalkers.

Claire Kelly
(AIB Nightwalker Elimination Squad)

History: Former member of the United States Army Special Forces. She was part of Colonel Dixon's unit before he became an army elite. Having lost her brother in the ODC attack five years ago, she has mixed feelings towards John Lloyd, the sole survivor of the attack.

Characteristics: Expert sharpshooter. She has a sarcastic streak but always keeps a cool head.

Duane Hanson
(Driver and communications officer on the AIB Nightwalker Elimination Squad)

History: Joined the army after dropping out of MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). He has never faced the Nightwalkers before.

Characteristics: He has feared Nightwalkers since learning what they are capable of.

Colonel Dixon (Bite back!)
(High-ranking officer of the AIB and head of the AIB Anti-Nightwalker Efforts)

History: Steadily worked his way up the ranks of the army elite after graduating from West Point. Remained longer in the front lines as a soldier than as a bureaucrat, and even served as the head of the Special Forces for a period of time. Many of the soldiers who served under him during that period are now members of the AIB Anti-Nightwalker Mission Team. His personality changed after he lost his family to the NIghtwalkers.

Characteristics: Dispassionate and cold, he will stop at nothing to wipe out the Nightwalkers.

Aide
(AIB Aide)

A young member of the AIB elite. Serves as Colonel Dixon's aide, but feels uneasy about the Colonel's extreme behavior. He has the rank of captain.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
Okay wow I didn't realize the Altered Species Box art was so different from the original release.
I also didn't know that the manual (which I didn't get) pointed out Lloyd's full name.

John Lloyd

The Pizza Delivery Van comes at Six

Thank you so much for sharing all that because I never would have been able too unless I bought an entire other copy. Seriously I wasn't even aware of all of that exposition because I didn't get a manual with my copy.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

bxfenns posted:

Okay wow I didn't realize the Altered Species Box art was so different from the original release.
I also didn't know that the manual (which I didn't get) pointed out Lloyd's full name.

John Lloyd

The Pizza Delivery Van comes at Six

Thank you so much for sharing all that because I never would have been able too unless I bought an entire other copy. Seriously I wasn't even aware of all of that exposition because I didn't get a manual with my copy.

I'll try to get some kind of footage by the end of the LP for you, but I can't promise anything for certain. That said, figured you guys would get a kick out of that fluff, it's... charming in it's ineptness. I love the all mighty Special Forces meeting the Army Elite and the Army Elite Special Forces. If you want me to try and dig anything else out of the book other than that poster that I threw up, let me know.

I am vaguely curious to fish a Japanese script up to translate and see how much of this game's janky rear end plot's the translation.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Nebiros posted:

Not the greatest quality, my scanner's packed away in a box somewhere and I'm not 100% sure where the hell I put the capture card, so I'll try getting it to run another way.

But for now, have some pictures.

And for shits and giggles, the story and bios from the manual -

This looks like the cover from some lovely silent hill-like thing. If I bought this by cover alone, I would not expect the game I'd get.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]

Nebiros posted:

I'll try to get some kind of footage by the end of the LP for you, but I can't promise anything for certain. That said, figured you guys would get a kick out of that fluff, it's... charming in it's ineptness. I love the all mighty Special Forces meeting the Army Elite and the Army Elite Special Forces. If you want me to try and dig anything else out of the book other than that poster that I threw up, let me know.

I am vaguely curious to fish a Japanese script up to translate and see how much of this game's janky rear end plot's the translation.

Yeah if you want to get some extra footage for us, that would be cool but if you don't want to suffer then that's fine too! If you see anything else interesting or funny in the book feel free to post it if you'd like.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

djw175 posted:

This looks like the cover from some lovely silent hill-like thing. If I bought this by cover alone, I would not expect the game I'd get.

The cover's actually pretty accurate to the game, it's got our Off-Brand Splinter Cell guys and their enemies, the Walking Dead knockoffs.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
Just got home from work, so enjoy this short Vampire Rain update: The Final Tutorials

These are the most necessary tutorials yet. Glad they saved them for last.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
Enjoy your holiday weekend with some stinky vampires: Part 4: Like Shooting Fish in a Barrel

Things actually happen in this video, I swear.
(Also the ending of this mission is pretty special)

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

bxfenns posted:

Just got home from work, so enjoy this short Vampire Rain update: The Final Tutorials

These are the most necessary tutorials yet. Glad they saved them for last.

"So here's tutorial five...

I don't know why this tutorial's in the game"

I feel like that sums up this game pretty well from what I've seen so far. It's been said a hundred times before but congratulations on managing to make this game interesting!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
These designers really didn't understand the concept of pacing or good game design. I've never seen such a weak showing of a stealth game.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sniper Lady now a vampire confirmed!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
At... at least the game wants you to kill things on occasion? I don't know anymore.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
You'd think LA would have some sort of background noise, but Vampire Rain really seems to go with the no traffic thing.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Toma posted:

You'd think LA would have some sort of background noise, but Vampire Rain really seems to go with the no traffic thing.

Of course there is no traffic, you've seen how stinky the vampires are, why would anyone want that in a confined space.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

I'm surprised they actually put in some bizarre half assed method for vampires to kill you in that way. But it seems like they just ram their head up your rear end and you suffer massive bleeding from it.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Toma posted:

Oh this is in LA?

Then the most unrealistic thing about this game is that it's raining in California.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]

Toma posted:

They decided to go with the soothing, ambient sounds of a slight drizzle and distant, mild thunderstorm. It's clearly for artistic purposes.

Niggurath posted:

I'm surprised they actually put in some bizarre half assed method for vampires to kill you in that way. But it seems like they just ram their head up your rear end and you suffer massive bleeding from it.

Oh man this gif is awesome. The infinite juggle combo.
But yeah vampires in this game will deal damage just by brushing up against you, and it's usually over half of your health.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Never million years would I call this game's city LA. If they mentioned it in the opening cutscenes, it must have passed right through me due to being completely insane. This looks like a generic Anytown USA midwestern city. I'm guessing we never get to see any cool landmarks or sneak past the Hollywood sign?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Before I asked, I was pretty convinced it was supposed to be Detroit or something. I'm still mostly convinced I'm right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lynx Winters posted:

Before I asked, I was pretty convinced it was supposed to be Detroit or something. I'm still mostly convinced I'm right.

It's not large enough to be Detroit. One of the big features of Detroit is that the city sprawls like a motherfucker and isn't very dense.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Lynx Winters posted:

The only thing I can vouch for is that the game mentions it's on the west coast. There's not enough people shooting back at you for it to be Detroit either.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
Time to show the thread some dead bodies: Hey Lloyd do you want to see a dead body

So in this episode we answer a question only Lynx was asking, and then show more things that require more questions!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I love how freaked out Kelly looks at the end. This is like, the fourth time she's shot a vampire tonight but this one was the one that had her losing her poo poo over it.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

"O. G. Wholesale" is a pretty good name for a store and it's probably totally unintentional.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Boy this game finds a lot of excuses to pad itself. What are we even here to do again? Lloyd and company seem to be completely unequipped to actually do anything meaningful, so how exactly was the boss man planning to "bite back?"

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

After recording the latest episode, I started conducting my own independent research on the topic of the Advance Team. In the video my hypothesis to their true nature continued to evolve until I was presented with data that, while outside the bounds of my knowledge, was irrefutable. However, I hit the books pretty diligently and in my own professional opinion, when it comes to uncovering the true identity of the Advance Team...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Yscg5vtVQ

...I hit the jackpot, baby!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Lotish posted:

Boy this game finds a lot of excuses to pad itself. What are we even here to do again? Lloyd and company seem to be completely unequipped to actually do anything meaningful, so how exactly was the boss man planning to "bite back?"

They mention somewhere in the first episode that killing the Prime Nightwalker will wipe out all of the ones spawned from it, so presumably they're trying for a decapitation strike. Aside from using the rain, however, how they intended on doing that with only eleven guys between two teams is beyond me.

Edit: Wow, that video was an acid trip.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 12, 2015

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Derek Barona posted:

They mention somewhere in the first episode that killing the Prime Nightwalker will wipe out all of the ones spawned from it, so presumably they're trying for a decapitation strike. Aside from using the rain, however, how they intended on doing that with only eleven guys between two teams is beyond me.

Edit: Wow, that video was an acid trip.

You know the real operation if it really were a, "Infectious disease that creates superhuman killing machines who are also infectious" would be to accidentally lose a nuke or two over the town anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Aren't there 12 total guys?

There's our 4 main jerks (Protagonist, Captain, God-Mode Sniper, Van-Radio-Man), and then there were the following 8 advance team members:
  • Guy hanging upside down. Twitchy.
  • Guy under the other guy whose leg was missing. Mr. Clean.
  • Guy impaled by stop-sign. Octagon.
  • Guy to the left of stop-sign guy. Elmo.
  • Guy to the right of stop-sign guy. Jack Black.
  • Guy whose head was cracked against a wall like a jar. The 5th member of N*Sync.
  • Guy squashed by air-con and pecked by crows. Ricky Martin.
  • "Eric, huh? Got it," the recently turned Captain Russel. Omae wa Mou Shinderu.
Are there any boy bands with 8 members?

• Locked thread