Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Roy posted:

I once went in for a proper shave at a barber shop, but I got more than I bargained for.

The guy had bad breath and the whole experience was really homoerotic.

did he massage your shoulders or something?

i want to knw more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
if you can't feel the barber's balls on your elbow it's not a real shave

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
could you shave me op

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
i find i don't get much worse of a shave from single bladed disposable bics than i do from a nice DE razor with feather blades honestly

I do think anyone shaving with anything more than a single blade is doing it wrong though, 2 passes with a single blade beats one with those multi bladed monstrosities any day

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I get them to do my face when I get my weekly crack, sack and rear end wax.

The boys love it.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Jastiger posted:

Get the merkur 33c or a starter kit that includes something similar from online sites. Spend about $60on the kit, make sure it had a nice brush too. Start with some soap or cream samples and practice making lather. Should have blades in the kit too. Go slow the first time and only in one direction. Boom. Done. Change out blades and soaps or creams to expand horizons while also try different strokes on the grain of the hair. You are now expert.

what does having a nice brush accomplish

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ocean Book posted:

what does having a nice brush accomplish

The nicer the brush the better it lathers and lifts the hairs for the blade to pass over the hair. The lower the quality the more scratchy it may be and may not lift hairs in a thicker lather.

For blades I use Astra blades. From Russia actually. Forged by Chechnyan smith's in middle aged furnaces and refined with platinum by the finest Georgian craftswomen.

Feathers from Glorious Nippon are too sharp.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
what is wet shaving and how is it different from "dry" shaving? i dont shave my face when its dry but i have a feeling that wet shaving means something else!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i enjoy regular hygiene as a hobby so much i can't stop posting about it! nor can i not stop pissing in my own mouth!

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I wax my face

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Jastiger posted:

Get the merkur 33c
I bought the 23c (long handle) five years ago. Been happy with it ever since. Never had a boner for it or anything, just happy not paying for cartridge blades anymore. My standard Gillette twin blade cartridges were getting loving ridic even at costco and these new nineteen blade monstrosities? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
tuggin' on my penis

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
I shave sometimes

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

gbaby posted:

I shave my penis sometimes

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Jastiger posted:

The nicer the brush the better it lathers and lifts the hairs for the blade to pass over the hair. The lower the quality the more scratchy it may be and may not lift hairs in a thicker lather.

That sounds like horse hockey

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I can't believe that swimmers shaving helps at all. If you want a full body Brazilian for .00001 second, there is something wrong with you.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
can I go without aftershave? like, in general. I've never used it.

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008
I wet shave with a safety razor but It's not a hobby. Its a thing I do to get my face hair off my face. Does way better for much less ongoing expense than the mach things.

Single time purchase stuff:
I use a merkur short handle thing. It was 40 bucks I think.
My brush was similar priced, maybe 35?
I got a stand for the brush and razor. Skippable obviously. 15.
A little rice bowl I use for making the lather. 5 dollars.

Ongoing:
Razor blades, I use Astra as well. I think I got 100 for ~10. Going to last me a another year or two.
Soap pucks are ~4 each, last a few months
Alum block. Think this was just under 20? Going to last a good while longer too
For aftershave I use Thayer's Witch hazel. I go through a bottle every ~3 months but I use it on my bald head too.

Shaving is something most guys have to do a lot in their life so it makes sense to having it be an economical and satisfying activity if possible.
I use an electric rotary razor on my bald head tho. Cheap disposables for body hair.

Avocados posted:

can I go without aftershave? like, in general. I've never used it.

It's your body homie. Do what you like.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Shaving is a pain in the rear end what are you going to tell me next, if I spend a bunch of stupid money on an oldtimey bucket and scrub board suddenly doing the laundry will become a hobby?

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I spent 30 something on a safety razor and love it. drat disposables. I would not put it anywhere near my nuts. That thing is only a safety razor compared to that straight razor.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my hobby is polishing my knobby

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I use the blade that come in the orange box and cost a fuckload

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
i haphazardly, hastily, and harshly drag the gillette i have against my face, no shaving cream or even water sometimes because i had terrible acne and the resulting facial trauma and scars made a man out of me. and now i am going to shave even more hastily and even harsher out of spite for these here forums. hth

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you don't use badger hair.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
im gay

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
Step 1: Mapping the Grain of Your Beard

Most beginners do not realize how important this is, but it's best done before you even begin prepping. Mapping the direction your beard hair grows will make beard reduction easier and reduce post-shave irritation.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i mean even if you wanna use a safety razor why not just use the shaving cream out of a can instead of doing all that gay badger hair brush poo poo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

jackyl posted:

I lasered my drat face so I wouldn't have to shave anymore and it goddamn owns

this is a crazy thing to do

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
Bring back GBS2K!

I also wetshave but I don't usually neckbeard about it because its just a nice ritual that gives me some ME time and rarely causes bleeding.

P.S. Buy a block of alum to use on your razor bumps and bleeding stumps. Works great.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
sometimes i shave my asscrack but i usually regret it

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i was planning on taking up a hobby but i can't decide if it should be brushing my teeth or clipping my fingernails
not that i dont do these things anyway but what i really need is some expensive gear to do it with, that will let people know how serious i am about my hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol at all the dumb faggots in this honeypot thread. I use a $9 electric razor I got at target to shave my face, neck, sack and crack.

• Locked thread