Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

NadaTooma posted:

Wet shaving had become somewhat of a lost art, but thanks to the Internet and word of mouth, it's had a resurgence in the last few years. Wet shaving is about slowing down, taking your time, and having a shave that's something to enjoy each morning, rather than a chore you have to tolerate. Like many of the finer things in life, the experience is hot, wet, and awesome. And once you have a bit of practice under your belt, you'll actually get a closer shave and less irritation than what you're getting now. Once you decide to throw out your disposable cartridges and switch to shaving like a REAL MAN, you'll never look back.

NadaTooma posted:

For me personally, I rarely spend more than $40 a year on supplies. Of course, if you get hooked like most guys, you'll probably spend more, not because you have to, but because shaving actually turns into a enjoyable hobby.

NadaTooma posted:

Like any fun hobby, wet shaving has some great Internet forums devoted to it. Two of the most noteworthy are Badger and Blade and Shave My Face, where guys can be obsessed with wet shaving to their heart's delight. These are excellent places to learn more about the art of wet shaving, along with discussion, product reviews, etc.

whats your hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
It started out innocent enough, twice a day facial shaves with some craft shaving soap. Then it was too much. I was shaving while I jerked off. I was shaving to escape from my wife. She started to grab my face and examine the violent razor burn. I turned quickly and dashed to the kitchen. The scent from my $90 Creed shaving bowl and the sharpness from my 1914 Gillette gave me more pleasure than any other vice.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I shave my pubes thrice daily

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I hate shaving but do it about once a week before I go out on a Friday night. With a straight razor, old style. A Dovo with rosewood handles and gold-washed engraving.
I loving hate shaving anyway, though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Unironically agree with op. Started wet shaving 6 years ago and haven't looked back. Spent less than any other guy I know.

Dollar shave club is ok, but you are better off getting your own set and sticking with it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Unironically agree with op. Started wet shaving 6 years ago and haven't looked back. Spent less than any other guy I know.

Dollar shave club is ok, but you are better off getting your own set and sticking with it

whats the best way to get into this hobby

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
My hobby is shaving the OP

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

whats the best way to get into this hobby

Get the merkur 33c or a starter kit that includes something similar from online sites. Spend about $60on the kit, make sure it had a nice brush too. Start with some soap or cream samples and practice making lather. Should have blades in the kit too. Go slow the first time and only in one direction. Boom. Done. Change out blades and soaps or creams to expand horizons while also try different strokes on the grain of the hair. You are now expert.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i tried shaving my balls when i was drunk and i cut my balls off and they fell in my beer so i chugged the beer + balls

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Get the merkur 33c or a starter kit that includes something similar from online sites. Spend about $60on the kit, make sure it had a nice brush too. Start with some soap or cream samples and practice making lather. Should have blades in the kit too. Go slow the first time and only in one direction. Boom. Done. Change out blades and soaps or creams to expand horizons while also try different strokes on the grain of the hair. You are now expert.

aight that sounds pretty good, how is it better than normal shaving other than it is more work

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

i tried shaving my balls when i was drunk and i cut my balls off and they fell in my beer so i chugged the beer + balls

I'm Hoppy for you.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I lasered my drat face so I wouldn't have to shave anymore and it goddamn owns

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

I'm Hoppy for you.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

jackyl posted:

how much does it cost to laser your face

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

jackyl posted:

I'd like to do this, but with nose hair.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

aight that sounds pretty good, how is it better than normal shaving other than it is more work

Closer shave, more refreshing better for your skin and CHEAPER. Way cheaper. A set of 100 blades, which lasts me a year and a half is $13. You get 4 packs at walmart for that price. It owns on the savings.

I got into it because I hated shaving, and still don't like doing it because it's a chore. Now when I do it, it's at least enjoyable.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I got into it because I hated shaving, and still don't like doing it because it's a chore. Now when I do it, it's at least enjoyable.

a hobby?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i wet shave with the same razor my wife shaves her pits with in the shower i didn't know i had a hobby

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kind of. It's fun to see what else you can do, and it's kind of a skill and subculture.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Parallax Scroll posted:

how much does it cost to laser your face

I don't remember but it took like 18 months of lasering til I never had to shave again. maybe like five or six hundred dollars?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im going to shave harder until i become part of the shaving subculture

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

jackyl posted:

I don't remember but it took like 18 months of lasering til I never had to shave again. maybe like five or six hundred dollars?

how many times in that 18 months did you have to go in. that's basically zero money

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i thought wet shaving was when you shaved in the shower

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LegoPirateNinja posted:

LOL if you don't do this.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Parallax Scroll posted:

Ritualizing a mindless activity makes it less boring and you get a better shave. Applying cream with a brush also feels nice. Of course it does take more time than shaving with a mach 3 and aerosol gel in the shower.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

LegoPirateNinja posted:

i thought it was when you are a girl and you shave your pussy while its dripping

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

jackyl posted:

I should do this. I can grow a faint goatee and a full neckbeard. Barely anything on my cheeks and my sideburns start at the bottom of my ears. I'm 27 :smithicide:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
gillette sensor excel is peak shaving btw

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I have a beard because gently caress shaving.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Parallax Scroll posted:

how many times in that 18 months did you have to go in. that's basically zero money

it was basically once a month

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Whiskey Sours posted:

I should do this. I can grow a faint goatee and a full neckbeard. Barely anything on my cheeks and my sideburns start at the bottom of my ears. I'm 27 :smithicide:

it won't take you 18 months, I could never get rid of a stubble look so it took a while to knock that poo poo out

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Parallax Scroll posted:

and yes, 30 bucks a time or something but cheaper if you buy 6 or 12 treatments

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
collecting flashlights and pens

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I have a beard so I only wet shave my neck + some upper cheek but wet shaving owns and lol if you use regular razors

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I've had a beard for years and I use an electric razor to keep it at a manageable length, but I can understand the ritual and all that so I don't hate on anyone for it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

my hobby is not shaving

my hobby is picking food particles out of my beard before my wife sees them and tells me i'm a disgusting pig

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I once went in for a proper shave at a barber shop, but I got more than I bargained for.

The guy had bad breath and the whole experience was really homoerotic.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

i thought it was when you are a girl and you shave your pussy while its dripping

duuuuuude nice XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
I shave my face in the shower. fast and easy. Then I use my clippers on my side burns and butt hole hair. Nice and tidy

• Locked thread