Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
So, who would be interested in some Fantasy Football? No, I do not mean Blood Bowl.

Fantasy Football, based on good ol' American Football, before they make it illegal for horribly maiming people for our entertainment. It's been a success for the last two years, so we're running it back for another go. We need at least 10 people, and can go as high as 14. 12 would be ideal. Anyone who was in last year can feel free to sign up again. We will be re-drafting players.

For now, the following rules are in effect:
  • Snake draft (the standard sort of draft, where Person A picks 1st, Person B picks 2nd, etc, but Person A doesn't get their second pick until the end of the second round. It 'snakes' back and forth to give a modicum of fairness)
  • Rosters of one QB, one RBs, two WRs, one TE, two Flex (RB/WR/TE), a Defense/Special Teams, and a Kicker, four bench slots, two IR slots.
  • Full PPR
  • Use ESPN, and their standard scoring

As always, newbies are welcome! You DO NOT need to know anything about fantasy football. That is one reason I am trying to keep the rules simple.

I'm willing to change these rules if there's a consensus something different. I'm always up for a no-kickers league.

I'm going with 1 RB and two Flex for purposes of fun. The decline in not just good, but even marginally serviceable RBs over the last 2-3 years hit a critical point last season. Having to play a second RB every week is no longer a decision but a punishment. Worse, by a quarter of the way through last season trades basically ground to a halt because everyone needed a decent RB2, and there weren't any to be had, so why bother? Two Flex positions should hopefully bring more strategic thinking and trades back into the league.

Given that we've been at this a few years now, I also want to see if folks might be interested in making this the first year of a keeper league. Let me know what you think.

If you have questions about how fantasy football works, there are a lot of good resources online, I will find some to add here, and will answer any questions I can.

If there is magically enough interest, we can make an ADVANCED league and a BASIC league. The ADVANCED league would roll with an auction draft and be set up as a potential keeper league. We can also have more than one league using the basic set up if enough people show up.

So who's up for it?

Tentative draft date would be 9/5 - the Saturday before the season starts - but any time that weekend would work (9/4, 9/6) or even during the week before if scheduling works out.

As a result of shenanigans a few years ago, Gau is banned from the league.

I'm holding spots open for last year's teams. If everyone re-signs up, we'll have 14 teams. If we have interest beyond that, we'll look into splitting into multiple leagues of at least 8 each.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The Post In Which I Explain How This poo poo Works

The basic idea for Fantasy Football is that you assemble a team of real football players, and what they do on the field and in play earns you points. Every week your team is matched against another team in the league in head to head contests. Whoever gets the most points, wins.

Teams have to be built sort of like a real football team. This means you can't just play as many Quarterbacks as you can get your hands on. As stated above, you need a Quarterback (QB), two Running Backs (RB), two Wide Receivers (WR), and a Tight End (TE). We're also using a Flex position - you can play a third RB, a third WR, or a second TE in this spot. You also play a team Defense/Special Teams; some leagues have individual defensive players but that's a lot more complicated so we'll stick to the basics. Lastly, you need a Kicker (K).

You also have a Bench for players you aren't currently using but want to keep around - either in case someone gets hurt, or for matchups, etc. Lastly you have a pair of Injured Reserve spots for players who get hurt that you don't want to drop.

You can drop most (but not all) players and pick up new ones from the waivers or the free agent pool. Waivers happen first, so the best players that aren't on a team get snatched up. Every team gets a waiver priority, and if you use it then you get shuffled to the back of the line. This way you can replace players who turn out to suck, or get hurt, or because you drafted a running back on Mike Shanahan's team (protip: don't do this). Waivers mean if two people try to pick up the same player - the hot new RB, for example - then whoever has the higher priority gets them.

Waivers usually go for the first day or two of the week, and any players dropped since the last games start on waivers. After the waiver period ends, all the unclaimed players are in the free agent pool, and you can pick people up on a first come, first serve basis.

Waivers exist so the goon who has no job and can stay up to all hours to snatch up players doesn't have an unfair advantage.

You get your initial players in the draft before the start of the season. As explained above, this is done is snake fashion, and you try to create the best team you can. There's a lot strategy in this, which I will post about later.

So, how do you win a match each week? Well, you want more points than your opponent. You get points for what your team does. Standard scoring is more or less as follows.

quote:

Offense:
Quarterbacks (QB), Running Backs (RB), Wide Receivers (WR), Tight Ends (TE)
6 pts per rushing or receiving TD
6 pts for player returning kick/punt for TD
6 pts for player returning or recovering a fumble for TD
4 pts per passing TD
2 pts per rushing or receiving 2 pt conversion
2 pts per passing 2 pt conversion
1 pt per 10 yards rushing or receiving
1 pt per 25 yards passing

Bonus Points
2 pts per rushing or receiving TD of 40 yards or more
2 pts per passing TD of 40 yards or more
(note: the player must score a touchdown to score the points)

Penalty Points
-2 pts per intercepted pass
-2 pts per fumble lost

Kickers (K)
5 pts per 50+ yard FG made
4 pts per 40-49 yard FG made
3 pts per FG made, 39 yards or less
2 pts per rushing, passing, or receiving 2 pt conversion
1 pt per Extra Point made

Penalty Points
-2 pts per missed FG (0-39 yds)
-1 pt per missed FG (40-49 yds)
(note: a missed FG includes any attempt that is blocked, deflected, etc.)

Defensive/Special Teams (D)
(note: team defense is responsible for all points allowed)
10 pts for 0 points allowed
7 pts for 2-6 points allowed
4 pts for 7-13 points allowed
1 pt for 14-17 points allowed
0 pts for 18-21 points allowed
-1 pts for 22-27 points allowed
-4 pts for 28-34 points allowed
-7 pts for 35-45 points allowed
-10 pts for 46+ points allowed

3 pts per defensive or special teams TD
2 pts per interception
2 pts per fumble recovery (Note: includes a fumble by the opposing team out of the end zone)
2 pts per blocked punt, PAT, or FG (Note: a deflected kick of any kind does not receive points)
2 pts per safety
1 pt per sack

If you look that over, you'll probably notice it's possible for the same play to earn you points multiple times. If you have Tom Brady and he throws a 33 yard touchdown pass to Rob Gronkowski, who you also have, you get 14 points off that one play - 5 from Brady (4 for TD + 1 for 25yds passing) and 9 from Gronk (6 for TD + 3 for 30yards receiving). Not bad.

You can also lose and gain points at the same time - if you also had the Jets defense here, and that play made the score 28-7 in the Pat's favor, you lose 4 points for your defense, bringing your net total from that single play to 10.

Stuff like this does happen, but most of the time you're going to have a mix of players from all over the league.

Also, if whoever the Jets' terrible QB happens to be that week throws a pick six, that still counts against the Jets Defense, even though it really isn't their fault.

This is one reason Fantasy Football is fun - it gives you a rooting interest in every game. Maybe even the ones the Browns are involved in.

fake e: Yes, I am a Patriots fan.

Some Resources
ESPN's Draft Kit is a good starting place for information. For more advanced stats and analysis, I like Football Outsiders. Otherwise just google around and there's a lot of good information and suggestions all over the place.

For the new folks, there's a Fantasy for Beginners podcast on ESPN that's actually not bad. It's from two years ago now so any player specific advice is well out of date, and the change in how the league plays is starting to affect some of the general strategy. Still, it's a decent overview.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 9, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

This Year's Teams

pre:
#	Team Name			Owner
1	Storygamer Fun Tyrants		Comrade Gorbash
2	Waiver Wire Bandits		SilverMike
3	Guardians of the Gygaxy		FewtureMD
4	???				ForeverBWFC  
5	Ethics in Games Journalism	Winson Paine
6	Jerkcity Gaping Goatses		Captain^Foo
7	Salty Wharf Fish-Slappers	Leperflesh
8	Thay Ballomancers		Tatum Girlparts
9	Washington Washingtonians	thatsnorth
10	SanSan Jacksons			CirclMastr
11	Jefferson Dropbears		StrongMouse
12	Norfolk Nexts			Darksaber

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 24, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hi, I need to withdraw from this league (jersey battery experts), I hope you guys have a great season!

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I'm definitely up for another season of this. I'll probably be changing the name of my team from the DropBears, though.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
I am in again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Ballomancers rise!

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I'm in for another year. My work is currently stupidly busy, so I might have to set up an autodraft, but once that's done I can manage the team just fine.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have done fantasy football before but not on SA. I'd love to join in.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
I'd like to be in for this!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi guys! The Fish-Slappers are the returning champions! Who will challenge me for supremacy?

Just a reminder Gorbash, we actually did full 1-point PPR last year. Which was fun and good, and my preference for this year too.

I'm sorry to see the RB slot go, although I do understand the reasoning. I enjoyed the challenge of filling that RB2 slot all year. Maybe it was easier for me because I drafted Charles in the first round, whereas some other goons drafted busts like AD. Then again, I drafted Montee Ball in the second. :negative:

At the end of the season, my RB2 from week 13 through the championship game was Daniel Herron, though, so I sure as hell suffered trying to earn points from that slot.

Anyhoo, I've started up a dynasty league over in TFF, and I'm going to stay in my all-IDP league over there too, so this will fill me out to three leagues again this year. I'm OK with splitting between experts and newbies if you feel like doing that.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Hi guys! The Fish-Slappers are the returning champions! Who will challenge me for supremacy?

Just a reminder Gorbash, we actually did full 1-point PPR last year. Which was fun and good, and my preference for this year too.

I'm sorry to see the RB slot go, although I do understand the reasoning. I enjoyed the challenge of filling that RB2 slot all year. Maybe it was easier for me because I drafted Charles in the first round, whereas some other goons drafted busts like AD. Then again, I drafted Montee Ball in the second. :negative:

At the end of the season, my RB2 from week 13 through the championship game was Daniel Herron, though, so I sure as hell suffered trying to earn points from that slot.

Anyhoo, I've started up a dynasty league over in TFF, and I'm going to stay in my all-IDP league over there too, so this will fill me out to three leagues again this year. I'm OK with splitting between experts and newbies if you feel like doing that.

Ah right, PPR, I was just copy/pasting info from last year's OP and forgot to fix that.

As for the RB2 slot, I spent a lot of time thinking on it, but it just felt like there wasn't any decision making processes involved by the end of the season. Especially in a 14 team league. With the Flex allowing RBs, if you can scrounge up two solid ones its a big advantage, but now there's a real benefit to scouting lower tier WRs and taking a gamble on upper tier TEs. Also I really do feel like it will help encourage trades. There was just no way anyone was going to trade away even a mediocre RB by mid-season, not without receiving an offer that would have crippled the other team anyways.

If we do a keeper league it might mitigate that concern, though I do think the roster change will make the league more fun either way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, it's a reasonable position. I think trading in general kind of dies off as the season gets into its last third; the winning owners fear giving their opponents a leg up into the playoffs more than they hope to make an advantageous thread, and (sadly) the losing owners tend to lose interest in the league completely. Having something at stake (like keepers) for even the teams with no shot at the playoffs might encourage owners to stay engaged through the whole season... but on the other hand, it may make owners even more conservative about possibly trading away someone with potential.

I think winning requires taking those risks, though. It was agonizing to me to drop Jeremy Hill the backup RB who wasn't doing much, only to see him explode two weeks later into a RB superstar. But actively managing my roster every week is the only way I was able to scrape together several of the tight wins I got last season. I hope we can keep everyone engaged and trading.

Have you given any thought to draft order? I got to go fifth last year and I think that was a big advantage. To the neophyte, going first might seem like the best slot, but in a snake draft I think going around a third of the way into the first round is ideal, just for ensuring there's still a top player or two left by the time your second pick rolls around.

If you go by last year's standings I'll get the worst pick of course, but I'm OK with that. Alternatively, random order is also fair.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i will gape all your goatses this year

also monday/wednesday/sunday drafts are far better for me, I almost certainly will not be able to make a tuesday/thursday/saturday draft

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'd join in if there's space. I've done FF before, although I skipped last season.

Unfortunately, 9/5 is Labor Day weekend if you're a USian, which pretty much blows for doing anything other than family stuff.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I might be in, depending on Labor Day weekend plans. During the week or on the Sunday would get me in for sure, I just don't want to autodraft if I can help it. In complete agreement with switching RB2 for Flex2, that probably would have made me feel better about trades last season.

In football news, Geno Smith is out 6-10 weeks with a broken jaw because he got sucker punched by a reserve LB today.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

SilverMike posted:

In football news, Geno Smith is out 6-10 weeks with a broken jaw because he got sucker punched by a reserve LB today.

By a former reserve LB

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Well, yeah, I thought that was implied by putting a starting QB out for a third of the season. :D

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Labor Day Weekend I'll be doing my nephew and his dad's birthday on one of those days, and I think my friend's doing a party on another, so the weekend is starting to look pretty full.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

SilverMike posted:

As a Jets fan, gently caress!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

ForeverBWFC posted:

As a Jets fan, gently caress!

To be fair, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a lateral move at WORST.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ForeverBWFC posted:

As a Jets fan

:rip:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Winson_Paine posted:

To be fair, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a lateral move at WORST.

I dunno, Geno was hitting his third year in the NFL, right? This is about the time where guys who aren't superlative talents start to get everything together.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Counterpoint: this is also about the time that promising rookies who have been given every chance by heavily-invested teams wash out because in the end, they're just not good enough.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

If only he had hit him in an elevator, the NFL wouldn't mind...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

How do people feel about doing the draft on Wednesday, 9/3?

Or Friday, 8/23?

I'm out of town from 8/24 - 9/2, and generally I find it's better to wait as late as possible for the draft, to try and minimize people getting hose before the season even starts (see: Foster, Arian).

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Wednesday the 3rd is good for me, the 23rd not so much.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Most days work for me until the 24th. After that, I don't really know my during the week schedule. I'll still be fine on weekends.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm good any day around there but the second since I'll be doing birthday poo poo instead of watching people take the dudes I totally was just about to take guys this draft is unfair.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Winson_Paine posted:

If only he had hit him in an elevator, the NFL wouldn't mind...

:eyepop:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SilverMike posted:

Wednesday the 3rd is good for me, the 23rd not so much.

This. I'll be on vacation the last week of August.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

To simplify this for me - anyone who is already signed up, please send me a message from inside the league site with your SA handle so I can match everything up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I play D&D on Wednesday nights, from 7-10pm Pacific. As the DM, it'd suck if I had to miss that session.

The 23rd works for me.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

To simplify this for me - anyone who is already signed up, please send me a message from inside the league site with your SA handle so I can match everything up.

You're the Fun Tyrants, right?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 13, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I can't seem to find the league in ESPN's directory...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=916468

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Is it invite only or did you not have space for newbies?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Comrade Gorbash posted:

i will do this but it should be p obvious what my team name is

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

ForeverBWFC posted:

Is it invite only or did you not have space for newbies?

I have to send out invites but I'm trying to sort out who's still in from last year first, that way I don't have to re-invite returning players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatsnorth
Jan 5, 2013

I'm interested in playing again. (Washington Washingtonians)

• Locked thread