Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won the war?
Allied powers
Central powers
Goku should have come in and kicked rear end
View Results

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i like how the one dumbshit german general's plan was to quickly beat france in to submission after a few weeks then haul rear end across the country and stop the russians and wrap the whole war up in a few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I started world war one and there is nothing you faggots can do about it

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

plain blue jacket posted:

I started world war one and there is nothing you faggots can do about it

I'm gonna start world war three about it.

Just gotta call my buddy Diamond Joe. He knows a guy.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

thankfully eastern europe is very stable now and can never spark an all consuming world war as it had in the past

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

facebook jihad posted:

World War I was the five guys burgers and fries of wars.

It was really bad

Were they similar because of the mustard gas?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How are we even supposed to World War with nukes??

It's like, WOW look at your loving army. Those are a lot of well equipped soldiers about to invade lol too bad they all just died 10 seconds ago because we literally destroyed your entire country oh poo poo what's that in the sky

and then Fallout the videogame happens

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

how cool would it be if all the nuclear powers got together and said hey let's just have a nice big old war for old time's sake and not worry about nuking each other. just a nice gentlemanly slugfest where we loving murder loads of our troops like they did in our grandaddy's time it's not fair they got to have all the pre-nuke fun

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pumroy posted:

how cool would it be if all the nuclear powers got together and said hey let's just have a nice big old war for old time's sake and not worry about nuking each other. just a nice gentlemanly slugfest where we loving murder loads of our troops like they did in our grandaddy's time it's not fair they got to have all the pre-nuke fun

we did that, it was called vietnam

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Rutibex posted:

we did that, it was called vietnam

yeah and look at the pop culture impact vietnam had. platoon? apocalypse now? rambo? face it, war owns.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm gonna start world war three about it.

Just gotta call my buddy Diamond Joe. He knows a guy.

diamond joe is a pussy and you can tell him i said so. I wouldn't trust that guy to start a half arsed skirmish in the Ukraine.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Mr. Pumroy posted:

In the future all wars will be fought with E-athletes and first person shooters

Whoever wins the tournament gets to run the government

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

plain blue jacket posted:

diamond joe is a pussy and you can tell him i said so.

Do you happen to live in russia or china? That would help.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

facebook jihad posted:

I think a good black comedy cell phone game could be made about WWI where you see how far you can make it across no man's land before getting gunned down by the machine gun. Likewise a game where you just rack up as many kills with your machine gun as possible.

I always had this perverse interest in the war with how much everything hosed up. Machine guns? That's cool. Lose 25,000 men in like 48 hours and make absolutely no gains. Tanks? Cool. They don't work and just get stuck and sit there. Gas? Oh there's a draft, looks like all that poo poo is coming back to your trench instead.

There's WWI Medic which was one of Toady's (The Dwarf Fortress dude) early games. It's pretty simple, you run back and forth along a trench trying to save the screaming wounded, and every so often there's a charge. Doesn't matter if the charge succeeds really, there's always more wounded and another trench. I don't believe there's a way to win, you just go until you die.

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's Our World War on Netflix, but I haven't watched it yet so have no idea if its any good. I guess there was that one scene in Legends of the Fall where the kid got ww1'd (gassed, caught in barbed wire, then machine gunned).

I watched it awhile back. It's okay although each episode follows different people so it's not quite like BoB. I'll just quote some stuff I wrote about it in CD Netflix thread:

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I've been on a little bit of a WWI one kick and watched Our World War which was just okay for the most part. I really wished it had been a little better or maybe just longer. There are certain things about it I really liked, but it seems kind of light and really glosses over great swaths of the war to its detriment I feel. Although, there is a bit towards the end of the first episode that seems like such total bullshit, but nope it totally happened and they even have an audio recording of the gentleman it happened to at the very end of the episode. Spoiler if you're curious what I'm talking about, but don't feel like watching it: A man is ordered to stay alone on a Maxim to buy time for his retreating comrades, and after being wounded a couple of times he is shot in the head. He then gets back up, partially dismantles the gun, and dumps it in a river as Germans swarm his position. Apparently the Germans realized he was only mostly dead, and he was taken to a p.o.w. hospital where he spent the rest of the war. He survived his injuries, was awarded a Victoria Cross and lived to be an old man. Good for him.

To the shows credit the episode about the Tank crew does a really good job of making them feel like the cutting edge, if finicky, doom machines they were at the time.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Robo Reagan posted:

i like how the one dumbshit german general's plan was to quickly beat france in to submission after a few weeks then haul rear end across the country and stop the russians and wrap the whole war up in a few months

it was the military strategy equivalent of a buzzfeed article

This One Weird Trick Will Win Every War And The Germans Dont Want You To Know About it! French People Hate it!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Naerasa posted:

it was the military strategy equivalent of a buzzfeed article

This One Weird Trick Will Win Every War And The Germans Dont Want You To Know About it! French People Hate it!

:shrug: it worked for Hitler

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Valiant hearts. That is all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rutibex posted:

:shrug: it worked for Hitler

Not in Russia.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the world would be better if hitler won

thankfully merkel is playing the long game

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The best part of ww1 was how the entente justified itself by opposing the dangerous and cruel German imperalism and then carved up the middle east like a cake, betraying the very eople they had relied on to defeat the Ottomans. It`s loving great. Belgium getting what it deserved for it`s crimes in Congo was also pretty sweet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

the world would be better if hitler won

thankfully merkel is playing the long game

wise germans realized banks and credit is better for controlling over countries than Panzers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

wise germans realized banks and credit is better for controlling over countries than Panzers.

in an ironic twist of fate Germany controls all of Europe using an International Banking Conspiracy

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Rutibex posted:

in an ironic twist of fate Germany controls all of Europe using an International Banking Conspiracy

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

To the shows credit the episode about the Tank crew does a really good job of making them feel like the cutting edge, if finicky, doom machines they were at the time.

Sounds cool I'm gonna check it out

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Baudolino posted:

The best part of ww1 was how the entente justified itself by opposing the dangerous and cruel German imperalism and then carved up the middle east like a cake, betraying the very eople they had relied on to defeat the Ottomans. It`s loving great. Belgium getting what it deserved for it`s crimes in Congo was also pretty sweet.

It was cool when they tried to occupy Turkey and turn it into a colony right after the war, but got their asses kicked out.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ataturk did nothing wrong

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Rutibex posted:

lmao

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Toadvine posted:

Sounds cool I'm gonna check it out

If you click on that quote I talk about a few of the other things I watched during that time on the same page. Most of them were documentaries, but I would recommend 14 - Diaries of the Great War to you. It's reenactments and archive footage combined to tell stories from the journals and letters of 14 people that lived during the war. It's a mix of civilian and military perspectives which is always neat.

If you feel like a documentary then I'd recommend The World's War: Forgotten Soldiers of the Empire. It's all about people from the colonies that got dragged into defending the respective Empires. You don't usually hear a lot about them so I thought it was fairly interesting. Lot's of depressing things in it, for example there's a recording of a Nepalese (I think) boy in a P.O.W. camp singing a funeral dirge for himself. It's traditionally supposed to be sung by his close female relations like a wife or mother and tell the story of his life, but he knows he's going to die soon and they won't be there to do it for him.

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
The German kaiser, King George, and czar nicholas were all cousins~
George and Nicholas:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Y2J posted:

The German kaiser, King George, and czar nicholas were all cousins~
George and Nicholas:

everyone in european royal families where cousins

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Rutibex posted:

everyone in european royal families where cousins

It was cool to execute that Tsar and his family in a basement. Unironically support this for the British royal family.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
I still can't wrap my head around the absurdity of people coming out of the trenches on both sides for Christmas, eating and playing games together, then promptly going back to trying to kill each other the next day.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

legion989 posted:

I still can't wrap my head around the absurdity of people coming out of the trenches on both sides for Christmas, eating and playing games together, then promptly going back to trying to kill each other the next day.

Actually the next day a lot of soldiers refused to fight and both sides banned christmas celebrations the next year.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

legion989 posted:

Many of the troops had to be relocated specifically because they refused to fight after Christmas

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
There were also a lot of gentlemanly agreements on quiet sectors of the front to only fire shells at certain times each day as to minimize killing while maintaining the pretense of combat action.

Obviously this doesn't occur during the big offensives.

There's also accounts of Austro-Hungarian troops slaughtering so many Italians while defending the alps they actually stopped firing and told the Italians to move back.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
The shell shock videos from WW1 are horrifying.

PTSD, as an issue, can never be over-emphasized including, and especially, in modern times. I've never been in combat but I've had friends that suffered from the effects. It can and will happen to anyone and you can never get over it. Only mitigate it with drugs, alcohol, and sometimes therapy.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

legion989 posted:

The Great War would have been over thst xmas if it hadn't been for the hooligans ...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agag posted:

It was cool when they tried to occupy Turkey and turn it into a colony right after the war, but got their asses kicked out.

Kiwis and Aussies have a big cry-a-thon each year over the time they got owned by the Turks

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

etalian posted:

Kiwis and Aussies have a big cry-a-thon each year over the time they got owned by the Turks

ANZAC Day should involve burning Churchill in effigy.

Canada likes to get all macho about Vimy Ridge. A little parochial, but at least it was a W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:stare:

• Locked thread