Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
so i sold the blue 86 nissan truck today. someone offered me way more than i paid for it and i needed the money.
now my focus will be on the 87 hardbody. 5-speed swap, ka motor, new rear bed, tint , new rear shocks, lowering blocks and a bunch more poo poo.

In other news, picked up another 88 4-door corolla with a blown head gasket off a lady who said a shop was going to charge her $4200 for a head gasket.
im just gonna do the head gasket and sell it.
and a co-worker bought a 91 corolla sr-5 2 door that needs a few things and i have every piece thats he needs from the gts im parting out.

and last but not least the malahat, a winding crash prone chunk of the trans canada highway has had 3 major crashes in less than 48 hours!

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/motorcyclist-killed-in-malahat-crash-third-major-accident-of-weekend-1.2045268

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

$4200 for a head gasket on an 80s Toyota 4 cylinder that's not in a MR2? :stonklol: That was "gently caress you, we don't want to do this job, we don't know what a carb is" pricing, I doubt even a dealer would want nearly that much for the job.

My mechanic will quote prices like that on poo poo he REALLY doesn't want to work on, hoping to steer them to a shop that knows that particular make a bit better - but that's almost as simple as a head gasket job gets. Remove head, do timing belt service while it's apart, some seals, measure block and head, do whatever milling is needed to make it perfect, slap it back together. He also quotes insanely high prices (doubles his labor rate) on last gen 300ZXs and most turbo Supras, simply because they're a bitch to work on, but he has several people who consistently bring them to him despite that rate.

On the 87, going KA24E or KA24DE? The DE is a bit more of a bitch to work on, but offers a bit more power and reliability in general (aside from the timing chain guides).

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

$4200 for a head gasket on an 80s Toyota 4 cylinder that's not in a MR2? :stonklol: That was "gently caress you, we don't want to do this job, we don't know what a carb is" pricing, I doubt even a dealer would want nearly that much for the job.

My mechanic will quote prices like that on poo poo he REALLY doesn't want to work on, hoping to steer them to a shop that knows that particular make a bit better - but that's almost as simple as a head gasket job gets. Remove head, do timing belt service while it's apart, some seals, measure block and head, do whatever milling is needed to make it perfect, slap it back together. He also quotes insanely high prices (doubles his labor rate) on last gen 300ZXs and most turbo Supras, simply because they're a bitch to work on, but he has several people who consistently bring them to him despite that rate.

On the 87, going KA24E or KA24DE? The DE is a bit more of a bitch to work on, but offers a bit more power and reliability in general (aside from the timing chain guides).

i figured retail on a head gasket all in would be about $1000.

going to just do a KA24E, there is an auto wrecker nearby that has a hardbody with a ka and 5 speed stock plus lots of other hardbody bits i need.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd still suggest the DE; if nothing else, because it has oil squirters under the pistons to help keep things cool. But there's FWD and RWD DEs; the FWD version won't work easily in a hardbody (distributor is driven off of the rear of the exhaust cam, for example, instead of off of the timing cover; hosed up cooling system setup as well).

Either way, plan to pull the timing cover and replace the timing chain guides. And be drat careful doing it, since it uses part of the head gasket to seal the top of the timing cover. The guides are pretty cheap. You'll also need an oil pump gasket if you go with the E and pull the timing cover, as the oil pump is external on them (the worm gears on it also like to rotate the distributor shaft when you reinstall the distributor). Replace the PCV valve while you're in there, it's a oval office to get to with the engine in the truck.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I need to stop reading this before going to bed... Those stories... Yeesh

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

I'd still suggest the DE; if nothing else, because it has oil squirters under the pistons to help keep things cool. But there's FWD and RWD DEs; the FWD version won't work easily in a hardbody (distributor is driven off of the rear of the exhaust cam, for example, instead of off of the timing cover; hosed up cooling system setup as well).

Either way, plan to pull the timing cover and replace the timing chain guides. And be drat careful doing it, since it uses part of the head gasket to seal the top of the timing cover. The guides are pretty cheap. You'll also need an oil pump gasket if you go with the E and pull the timing cover, as the oil pump is external on them (the worm gears on it also like to rotate the distributor shaft when you reinstall the distributor). Replace the PCV valve while you're in there, it's a oval office to get to with the engine in the truck.

thanks for the info. going to the auto wreckers today to grab random crap and im going to take a bunch pictures of the ka hardbody. i will plan on doing the chain guides like you suggested.

mafoose posted:

I need to stop reading this before going to bed... Those stories... Yeesh

im working on the next batch of stories :unsmigghh:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The stories in this thread make me miss the days of cleaning the big truck tow truck shops floors. Those guys had so many crazy stories of what would happen. A truck once rolled itself and squashed half a vehicle with the trailer. Or the time one of the tow truck guys didn't realize where his hand was and had a full-size Volvo truck run over his fingers.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Forgot to take pictures at the auto wreckers today but i picked up a rear slider window for the noodle body.

added some stickers. will be welded and 5 speed soon enough.

And i picked up a cheap ABC fire extinguisher for the truck

Also replaced the rear shocks as they were loving useless.

Stories:

Years and years ago at the local ferry terminal some crew members were moving tractor trailers around. Im not sure what the trucks they use to move them are but they look like this:

anyways one guy starts driving and runs something over, turns out it was someones head.

About 10 years ago 3 young guys high and drunk in there done up old impala or cutlass or similar, ill try and find the news articulal, anyways, they floor it into a corner no seat belts, 2 get ejected and one basically disintegrates inside the car. Now funny thing is a friend of a friend of mine bought the car from an auto wrecker months later and pulled the worked v8 out and swapped it into his truck. there was still blood and needles form the paramedics in the car.

heard this story and drive by the memorial daily from a friend who knows the guy who was in the crash and survived.

There was a party ontop of a local mountain and a group of people were ready to leave. everyone had been drinking and doing mushrooms but one girl insisted she was sober and could drive everyone down the mountain. she was driving an old 80's toyota van. she made it to the bottom and onto the main road and on the first corner and drove straight into a telephone pole.
guy was sitting in the middle rear bench seat and flew forward having his face literally explode on the gear shift, after coming to he noticed a warm sensation on his lap, it was the girl who was sitting beside hims brains. out of the 5 or 6 of them in the van i believe only he and the girl driving survived. the story continues and gets very strange form there but that might give away peoples identity's.

I know there are more stories im forgetting so i will keep adding them as i am told\remember them.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got some work done on the noodle body.

Installed some 2 inch lowering blocks and in the process cut a brake line, replaced brake line and broke the bleeder screw and had to replace the wheel cylinder.

Also mounted the fire extinguisher and installed the new rear window.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got sent out in our biggest flatbed to go move a loving tool box.

But it was a loving sweet snap-on box full of tools, was moving from one dealership to another.

Have a few more cars I got from the yard coming to my place soon. I will post pics and my plans with them are to just sell them so I can put more money into other projects.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Had some down time today so we flipped our newest rollover car we use for recovery training.

Drained fluids and smashed out the windows.

And the rollover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTe9Hi7G0Lw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3MlYTdS3rs

And i got to tow that mint red MG MGB again. he showed me his car collection.

He has 2 jag e types and half a dozen mg's

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Hey man, somebody stole your cat :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, you're a tow guy in BC right? How realistic and/or bullshit is Highway Thru Hell? It's my main guilty-pleasure reality show, but I'm sure it's just as bullshit as every other reality show (Buffalo Airways can go gently caress themselves!).

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

PT6A posted:

So, you're a tow guy in BC right? How realistic and/or bullshit is Highway Thru Hell? It's my main guilty-pleasure reality show, but I'm sure it's just as bullshit as every other reality show (Buffalo Airways can go gently caress themselves!).

Hard to say but they do some hoakey poo poo that I would get fired if I tried it there way, and they seem to do a lot of damage to the road surface and don't give a poo poo. there are a million different ways to tow something so I cant say they do it wrong, just not the way I was trained. I think a lot of it is realistic but there is totally drama put in to keep you watching.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
And no matter how much glass just fell out with the flip it will still be found in that car for decades to come.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

SouthsideSaint posted:

And no matter how much glass just fell out with the flip it will still be found in that car for decades to come.

gently caress, our last rollover car we had for years and had to replace it becuse the roof got way too flattened and it had glass fall out of it every single time we flipped it, and we flipped it hundreds of times. poo poo never all gets out.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So this may be a dumb question, but why not spend a couple extra minutes to actually take the glass out correctly? Surely it's worth it if you keep it for years.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Raluek posted:

So this may be a dumb question, but why not spend a couple extra minutes to actually take the glass out correctly? Surely it's worth it if you keep it for years.

yes we could take the windows out correctly but where's the fun in that, plus we can show how difficullit actually is to smash a window. this is useful for lockout training as we mostly use air wedges to pry the door and slide in a long wire tool, and for emergency situations.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 9, 2015

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

got around to pulling the head off the corolla i just picked up

you might be able to tell what cylinder is leaking coolant.
on the plus side the timing belt looks almost new.

cant see any cracks but gonna take it to get checked.

head gasket didn't look too bad

only damage is a crack in the lining around the steam cleaned cylinder.

Also picked up this generic 5-speed 90's civic out of the tow yard for $250, just needs a fender,drivers window has a CEL for a O2 heater circuit and then an inspection (PO got pulled over with broken window and got a VI).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

96-98 DX Civic. Front clip has been replaced at some point, judging by the headlights and panel gap (usually the headlights are basically opaque by now, and the hood + fender + bumper don't look like they line up right).

The 96-00 LX and EX clusters are a direct swap if you want a tach, and you can even (easily) swap the speedometer/odometer between the clusters (3 or 4 screws IIRC) to keep an accurate odometer. All the wiring for just about everything is already there from the factory. Sadly, you can't swap the 99-00 climate control into it easily.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

96-98 DX Civic. Front clip has been replaced at some point, judging by the headlights and panel gap (usually the headlights are basically opaque by now, and the hood + fender + bumper don't look like they line up right).

The 96-00 LX and EX clusters are a direct swap if you want a tach, and you can even (easily) swap the speedometer/odometer between the clusters (3 or 4 screws IIRC) to keep an accurate odometer. All the wiring for just about everything is already there from the factory. Sadly, you can't swap the 99-00 climate control into it easily.

my roommates ex had a 99 we swapped a cluster into but this is just gonna be a quick flip, i barly even looked at the car before i bought itor $250 if it runs ill buy it,ill take some more pictures and find out the actual year., going to the auto wreckers today for a parts run if i can pick up a cluster for cheap i might grab it. my roommate also has a set of replacment headlights that have a black backing in them so they look cooler to honda kids i guess, omly thing i dont have is a 4" gently caress-off fart can, then i would have boy racers lining the block to buy it.

in other news i have switched to full-time nights at work so hopefully more interesting stories and pictures to come. all the crazies and drunks come out at night.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So the civic is a 96 and only has 150k km on it.

One of the best parts of buying a car out of the yard is looking through all the poo poo left from the PO. I have found countless tools and useful poo poo.

3 boxes of nails.

engine bay needs a good clean

fender is hosed.
Picked up a replacement drivers window from the wreckers today along with other random bits and pieces.

found a cluster with a tach from an acura el i might grab.

sweet old comet.

here is the hardbody with the KA and 5-speed im going to swap.

also going to get the rust free bed off of it.

and saw this at one of the wreckers, im guessing its from a movie.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Not too bad of a find, pretty jealous of BC's lack of rust.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Just finished replacing the upstream O2 sensor on the civic to get rid of a P0135 O2 sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 1, erased the CEL and it has yet to come back. was a bitch to get out, i have a O2 removal socket but it flexed too much and started slipping so i had to chop the wires to the O2 sensor and use a deep socket 7/8 and a breaker bar to remove it.

Also cleaned up the block of the corolla in prep for the new head gasket.

And the outside, don't mind the grease prints on the fender

and for a 88 the inside is loving mint.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

so one of our ramp drivers had a tow eyelet on a Hyundai pull out of its threaded hole and cause the car to roll off the deck and into another car. and it didn't unscrew it ripped right out. cheap poo poo.
this is what the eyelets look like.

and this is the only recommended way to recover or load most new cars.
scary poo poo.

Also seen Scott from highway thru hell a few times recently, he's working for another local towing company.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 12, 2015

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

looking at a car in our yard thats come up for sale.

i will get more info when i look at the car tonight but its a green 2003-05ish subaru forrester 150k km that rolled multipule times so the body is beyond hosed but the engine and drive train are still good. its a 5-speed, so my plans are to buy the car for $150and pull out the engine,drivetrain and pedals/linkages for someone who wants a 5-speed swap.

question is, what is the easiest way to pull the drive train, (i have a tow truck at my disposal for a engine hoist)'what else do i need from the car for a full swap and should i bother pulling anything out of the rear subframe or say gently caress it.
engine runs well, lots of smoke from fluids getting everywere after the roll, anyone know what these engines go for in good shape? just dont want to waste my time if nobody buys these things.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

got my buddy down at the yard send me some pictures of the Subaru.

its an outback not a Forrester.

and only small amounts of blood on the inside.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The fastest way to gut that thing is to undo the trans and engine cross members, control arms, and struts from the body, and fart the whole thing out the bottom of the car.

6 for the trans crossmember, 4 for the engine crossmember, cut all wires and hoses in the bay on the body side, undo the 4 front rear control arm bolts, unto the 6 strut top bolts, cut exhaust bolts, pop out DS from trans, lift body off driveline.

That motor is a 2.5 with a 4.11 5MT gearbox. Gearboxes are 125 at the junkyard, you can sell it known good used for probably 300-500, check with car-parts in your area. Engine is worth 300-1000 if it was known to run good and has recent head gaskets and timing belt. If I had that motor and were to put it in something, I'd just rebelt and gasket it while it was already out, 80 for gaskets, 150 for the gates timing kit with WP.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A working EJ251 and drivetrain should go for a decent price in BC.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

The fastest way to gut that thing is to undo the trans and engine cross members, control arms, and struts from the body, and fart the whole thing out the bottom of the car.

6 for the trans crossmember, 4 for the engine crossmember, cut all wires and hoses in the bay on the body side, undo the 4 front rear control arm bolts, unto the 6 strut top bolts, cut exhaust bolts, pop out DS from trans, lift body off driveline.

That motor is a 2.5 with a 4.11 5MT gearbox. Gearboxes are 125 at the junkyard, you can sell it known good used for probably 300-500, check with car-parts in your area. Engine is worth 300-1000 if it was known to run good and has recent head gaskets and timing belt. If I had that motor and were to put it in something, I'd just rebelt and gasket it while it was already out, 80 for gaskets, 150 for the gates timing kit with WP.

thanks for the info, i will most likiey to it the way you suggested by removing the subframes then ill just loft the body off with the boom onthe tow truck., i am going to take a video of the enigne running to show to perspective buyers. ill call some parts stores and see what they want for the HG's and timming kit, like you said it will be easy once its out.

and is there anything else worth grabbing off the car? im going to grab the ecu for the swap just incase but is there anything in the pictures that looks salvageable or worth grabbing before the shell goes for scrap.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A working EJ251 and drivetrain should go for a decent price in BC.

thats what i like to hear.

priced out parts for the white corolla, $65 for just the HG or $268 for a full upper gasket kit. im going to grab the kit becuse it has all the gaskets i need plus some extras i can use on my other corollas. and its about $125 to have the head checked and cleaned. so i will be into the car for around $500 hoping to get atleast $1000 for it with a fresh headjob.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I would grab the rear diff out of it for the swap too. It would be easier to sell to someone that doesn't have the same gears.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Had a cock sucker of a call last night.

Call comes in for a stolen recovered truck from a local police dept. that we usually don't do work for.
Its a 2003ish f-350 long box crew cab long rear end motherfucker.

Get there in our big flat deck and ask the cop if there is keys etc..
Cop says he dosnt know and i am not allowed in the truck or even touch the door handle. now i understand for finger prints but the police dept we usually work for will watch us like a hawk but allow us to turn the wheel or put it into neutral if we need.
Nope, cant touch it at all.
gently caress. its in park with the wheels turned on uneven ground with 2 near flat tires. Great.
Jumped under the truck and poped the shift linkage off and the cop just about poo poo himself, says he didn't know that could be done.
Ok now i start to pull the fucker and thank christ the wheels are unlocked, keys are probably in it but im not allowed to look.
Get the fucker back to the yard and the cops want it in one of our locked cages. fucker is too long. got the gate to close, just.
After that call was a 90's dodge 2500 with a blown wheel bearing. surprise! gotta love dodge front ends.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

A new sticker came in the mail today

Also added a few more stickers

And a Cambodian tire suicide knob. works loving awesome especially with the small wheel.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Happened across a 1 car accident while in the tow truck yesterday.
I came around the corner and was greeted with this

hard to see but the front tires are pointing at each other and the rear axle is snapped. and it looks like he had a 5 gallon tub of pepto bismal in the bed because there was pink goo loving everywhere.

I was first on scene and setup cones ect. within 5 minuets there was 2 fire trucks 2 cop cars and ambulance and highway crews on scene.

where the truck is sitting is on an on ramp to the trans-canada highway 1 so people are coming around the corner at fairly high speeds. i happened to be looking back and saw a car come around the corner and start to spin towards some firemen setting up more cones they just about poo poo there pants.

I had setup some puck lights

they look like this. anyways as the fire dept is getting ready to leave i see one of the firemen look at the puck light look around then pocket the loving thing jump in the firetruck and leave. fucker stole my puck light. it was only $5 so i could care less.

Once the scene was secure i took off because it was out of my jurisdiction, but what a cluster gently caress.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A firefighter stole your LED flare?

I didn't think Surrey was on the TCH.

edit: I guess it is!

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A firefighter stole your LED flare?

I didn't think Surrey was on the TCH.

edit: I guess it is!

Not Surrey, Vancouver Island.

And i got a message today about the road flair saying it was left on scene and they took it but it sure looked like he just wanted it. so it looks like i might get it back. i should buy them a pack wrap it up and give it to them as a gift.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

found another suitable D21 Donor truck.

Guy says he will take $300.
Has a KA and 5-speed.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1991-Nissan-Hustler-D21-Pickup-2WD_25988076

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Finished prepping the white corollas head for the machine shop.

intake manifold complete with 3000feet of vac lines.

head goes to the machine shop tomorrow.

Bonus retro electronics.
Driving around today and spotted a free pile. found this gem, a 1970's sylvania vhs player.

this loving thing probably cost a shitload new.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

eberbs posted:

Bonus retro electronics.
Driving around today and spotted a free pile. found this gem, a 1970's sylvania vhs player.

this loving thing probably cost a shitload new.

Oh yeah, look at all that wood :heysexy:

I love old all-analog electronics, they're so wonderfully quirky.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Tested the 70's VHS player today and it doesn't work. all the elastic drive bands are loose and crusty. thinking about getting it repaired.

Took the silver civic to get inspected, should know tomorrow if it passed or what it needs.

And i got a free utility trailer from work today.
Its ghetto and filled with a bunch of stuff and needs trailer lights but its loving free.
Hooked it up to the noodle body, put on a transporter plate and had one of my co-workers follow me home in a tow truck because its dark and no trailer lights.
Going to wait until tomorrow to sort through the poo poo in it, i have no idea what its full of but it comes with a truck canopy strapped on top and it might fit the noodle body, if not ill just sell the canopy.

sorry for the lovely pics, i will take more tomorrow when i clean it out and wire up some lights.

• Locked thread