Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrFlibble posted:

Nerds are a) in school and not as social as 'normal' students or b) adults basing their identity on having been formerly a?

Or you could explain what you mean if I've messed up.

His thesis as I've come to understand it is that nerds are people that seek escapism in entertainment to such an extreme degree that they construct entire virtual universes to escape into, or desire that end result.

A nerd's idea of the singularity is the Holodeck in Star Trek - a little box you can (metaphorically) plug into and then never have to face the outside consequences again if you so choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It probably didn't help Trank's career that he was smoking weed on set, didn't show up on set for days at a time, and rubbed dog feces on the walls of the apartment the studio was renting for him and his girlfriend when he was mad.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It probably didn't help Trank's career that he was smoking weed on set, didn't show up on set for days at a time, and rubbed dog feces on the walls of the apartment the studio was renting for him and his girlfriend when he was mad.

He rubbed dog feces on his girlfriend? :eyepop:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Doctor Nick posted:

There's a piece in the hollywood reporter that has some more details on this. The whole thing is worth a read, but I loved this part in particular:

he sounds likes a massive hipster prick who wanted to be desperately like kubrik. when Fox came in to sort poo poo out/gently caress things up. he went phill fish and had a temper tantrum.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nerdism is a specific ideology.

I don't think Hollywood Reporter writers and line producers (?) can meaningfully be called nerds.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he sounds likes a massive hipster prick who wanted to be desperately like kubrik. when Fox came in to sort poo poo out/gently caress things up. he went phill fish and had a temper tantrum.

I heard he even rubbed poop on his girlfriend!

porfiria posted:

I don't think Hollywood Reporter writers and line producers (?) can meaningfully be called nerds.

I didn't write that they are nerds. I wrote that they are effortlessly manipulating nerds.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I didn't write that they are nerds. I wrote that they are effortlessly manipulating nerds.

Fair enough--although I'd say the intended audience is more insidery types eager to eat a big bowlful of schadenfreude.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I can't believe Trank's dog rubbed his girlfriend's poop on Kate Mara and made her cry, this guy, he's just so... ...hip

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I heard that Trank ate the poop but then pooped out less poop than he ate because that is how poop works and that got him mad.

edit: I am sorry, I thought this was the GBS thread.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 13, 2015

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Honestly if this whole thing results in less Kate and more Rooney I'd say it's not a total loss.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Well of course there was always the option to stay on the project and not be a whiny bitch online. Plenty of directors have survived bombs.

Trank is a very new director. This was only his second movie. Fantastic Four bombing was the end of his career no matter what. The directors that recover from bombs are those that are already well established and respected in the industry.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

I said come in! posted:

Trank is a very new director. This was only his second movie. Fantastic Four bombing was the end of his career no matter what. The directors that recover from bombs are those that are already well established and respected in the industry.

Like David Fincher before Alien 3?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If he wasn't accidentally handed an unedited script for Seven, that very well *could* have been the end of Fincher's career.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Boogaleeboo posted:

If he wasn't accidentally handed an unedited script for Seven, that very well *could* have been the end of Fincher's career.

The guy also remarked during the LA Riots that it's a shame they didn't start around 20th Century Fox's studios. He also declined appearing for the DVD release even though Fox was more than willing to say the film was poo poo because of them in the special features.

Josh Trank isn't dead in the water career-wise; people in Hollywood have done a lot worse (RDJ was persona non grata for 15 years) but as long as they make a serious effort to change (and come to their bosses first) they can recover.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 13, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Grendels Dad posted:

I get the impression that Fox has come to terms with FF being a bomb so now they will ride the drama surrounding the production as hard as they can. I expect reports of Trank having Britney Spears-levels of meltdowns coming in.

Not going to lie, a DVD with special features like a Trank cut of the movie, a Trank commentary and a separate cast/crew commentary, a post-mortem feature covering the collapse of the movie with a ticker at the bottom that reads off all the registered complaints against Trank, or something like that would at least have me considering buying a copy just to hear all the poo poo-talking.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

Not going to lie, a DVD with special features like a Trank cut of the movie, a Trank commentary and a separate cast/crew commentary, a post-mortem feature covering the collapse of the movie with a ticker at the bottom that reads off all the registered complaints against Trank, or something like that would at least have me considering buying a copy just to hear all the poo poo-talking.

Fox presents: He4rts of D4rkness.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

A nerd's idea of the singularity is the Holodeck in Star Trek - a little box you can (metaphorically) plug into and then never have to face the outside consequences again if you so choose.

or a dead comedy forum you can live on and pretend you're a respected film critic

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Clipperton posted:

or a dead comedy forum you can live on and pretend you're a respected film critic
I keep seeing this place referred to as dead, is the situation really so dire or are we comparing it to like, reddit, which has like 4 billion users?

This forum moves fast enough that there are days I can't read all the new posts in the threads I follow. Reddit sounds like a nightmare.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Slugworth posted:

I keep seeing this place referred to as dead, is the situation really so dire or are we comparing it to like, reddit, which has like 4 billion users?

This forum moves fast enough that there are days I can't read all the new posts in the threads I follow. Reddit sounds like a nightmare.

The only reason SA is still around is because of Let's Play and that has like 300 users in there right now. GBS has 500+. It's definitely a small fraction of what it used to be. It's a combination of people moving on and all the funny posters being run off for different reasons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Slugworth posted:

It's not growing as much as it used to is the crux, I guess. Traditional style message boards are not in vogue anymore but I still find it much more appealing than poo poo like Reddit. I have never once thought "boy I wish this place had more posts", SA is fine.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slugworth posted:

It's a recurring meme because goons are cynical and want some reason to blame for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

It's not growing as much as it used to is the crux, I guess. Traditional style message boards are not in vogue anymore but I still find it much more appealing than poo poo like Reddit. I have never once thought "boy I wish this place had more posts", SA is fine.

I mostly post in TVIV and CineD, and a lot of the time it feels like there's only a handful of regular posters there, but I kind of enjoy that. I don't need to have a conversation about horror movies with a hundred other people, 9 or 10 is just fine. I also enjoy the fact that when I post something at 11pm, I can wake up the next morning and that same discussion is probably still going on, there hasn't been 5 new pages overnight.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Even when I first joined Goons were complaining about the good ole days.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I noticed a drastic drop in quality on this site the day I registered.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Will studios stop doing origin movies now? Please?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duz posted:

I hope half of Dr Strange is flashbacks so they can try to justify it as not being an origin movie because he has powers in the literal first minute of the movie.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

duz posted:

The origin part of this movie is the good part, the "everyone unites and fights the bad guy" stuff is terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Surlaw posted:

The origin part of this movie is the good part, the "everyone unites and fights the bad guy" stuff is terrible.

Yea but if you cut out the origin then you can make the first half of the movie "superhero doing his daily business" instead, and that can be even better. Stuff like Keaton's first scene in Batman, or the rave scene in Blade.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Well, showing how The Thing goes grocery shopping would probably be fun, but I really genuinely liked the transformation/hospital scenes a lot so I'd rather have those.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Part of the reason why I liked Guardians of the Galaxy so much is it spent about 5 minutes on a quick origin, then jumped to present day and told the rest of the origin through dialogue and references. The sequel might have some more back story about Quill's dad, and it is much more interesting now that we know the character than if it had been tacked on to the start of the first movie.

I hope more of the Marvel and DC movies follow suit. Tell the origin story in bits and pieces throughout the course of multiple movies. It makes the characters more intriguing and keeps the first movie from falling into the cookie-cutter formula of origin story + bad guy from your past + climatic battle.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Slowpoke! posted:

the cookie-cutter formula of origin story + bad guy from your past + climatic battle.

this formula, imo, is exactly why the majority of comicbook movies are boring pieces of poo poo

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Slowpoke! posted:

Part of the reason why I liked Guardians of the Galaxy so much is it spent about 5 minutes on a quick origin, then jumped to present day and told the rest of the origin through dialogue and references. The sequel might have some more back story about Quill's dad, and it is much more interesting now that we know the character than if it had been tacked on to the start of the first movie.

I hope more of the Marvel and DC movies follow suit. Tell the origin story in bits and pieces throughout the course of multiple movies. It makes the characters more intriguing and keeps the first movie from falling into the cookie-cutter formula of origin story + bad guy from your past + climatic battle.

And then killing that bad guy so the problem is solved forever and will never come back in any meaningful way.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm not really sure how Guardians is that different. It's very much a story of Quill's awakening as a "hero" even if it doesn't waste time showing, like, how he got his super suit. He's just some dink at the beginning who finally grows into the Star Lord role he's been posturing about. It's an origin of the team "Guardians of the Galaxy" even if it's not about how Pete Quill first got his ship.

It feels like any other Marvel film to me in structure, it just had an aesthetic I enjoyed a lot more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Surlaw posted:

I'm not really sure how Guardians is that different. It's very much a story of Quill's awakening as a "hero" even if it doesn't waste time showing, like, how he got his super suit. He's just some dink at the beginning who finally grows into the Star Lord role he's been posturing about. It's an origin of the team "Guardians of the Galaxy" even if it's not about how Pete Quill first got his ship.

It feels like any other Marvel film to me in structure, it just had an aesthetic I enjoyed a lot more.

Yeah, it's an origin story for the team dynamic even if the team members weren't regular joes at the beginning.

In contrast, the status quo in (eg) Dredd is exactly the same as the beginning of the film, just with slightly more dead people.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The stereotype of the bad comic book origin is that you spend a big chunk of the movie explaining everything about how they became a superhero, then there is a tacked-on conflict with a famous villain who had little to nothing to do with the origin story you were telling who usually gets killed at the end. Guardians tells the team origin story while the main conflict with Ronan is also going on. The only part of the origin story distinct from that is the short opening bit of his childhood; the main conflict is created in the first scene with the adult Quill stealing what Ronan wants.

Of course the perfect example of the "bad" origin story I just described is... Superman, which is what a lot of people think of if you ask them to name the first really good comic book movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

Yeah, it's an origin story for the team dynamic even if the team members weren't regular joes at the beginning.

In contrast, the status quo in (eg) Dredd is exactly the same as the beginning of the film, just with slightly more dead people.

I think it's fair to say that Dredd is Andersons' origin story, it's (partly) about how she becomes a Judge.

It's origin stories all the way down.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Dredd was a pretty dope movie.

sean10mm posted:

The stereotype of the bad comic book origin is that you spend a big chunk of the movie explaining everything about how they became a superhero, then there is a tacked-on conflict with a famous villain who had little to nothing to do with the origin story you were telling who usually gets killed at the end. Guardians tells the team origin story while the main conflict with Ronan is also going on. The only part of the origin story distinct from that is the short opening bit of his childhood; the main conflict is created in the first scene with the adult Quill stealing what Ronan wants.

Of course the perfect example of the "bad" origin story I just described is... Superman, which is what a lot of people think of if you ask them to name the first really good comic book movie.

So maybe you're not understanding your own definition of the stereotype you've labeled? Zod had everything to do with the destination of Clark's journey to finding himself.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Dredd is indeed great, but Marvel would never make a stripped down movie like that.

Guardians of the Galaxy, for all its praise, is still a movie about everyone chasing around a meaningless loving orb for 2 hours. The aesthetic/tone makes it feel slightly less cookie-cutter, but at the end of the day it's a nothing of a story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

I think it's fair to say that Dredd is Andersons' origin story, it's (partly) about how she becomes a Judge.

It's origin stories all the way down.

This is true, if we follow Anderson in subsequent movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

computer parts posted:

subsequent movies

:smith:

• Locked thread