Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tamarillo posted:

The "Prince of Hamilton" had made a 7 hour drive down to be at this pokey house for ??? He was a fat little dude with a neckbeard wearing a cape. He got very impatient with me and out of character he whined that he had almost NO HUMANITY LEFT and as a human I was NOT ACTING SCARED ENOUGH (of a fat little dude with a neckbeard wearing a cape) when he walked near me

Was this Hamilton, New Zealand? And if so, how long ago?

Because I might know some of these people. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

Yes, and 11 years ago.

I was well out of it by then. Used to do WoD LARP back in the late 90s/early 2000s with a group of people that were at least self aware enough to realise it was all a bit silly, and secure enough to keep away any creeps.

There is nothing more ridiculous than the idea that Hamilton of all loving places could be run by a sinister cabal of the undead.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Archery!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If you're interested in the idea of wearing stupid clothing and hitting nerds with things, my recommendation is to crew. Profound Decisions (who run the huge Empire LRP in the UK) are always after people to play Generic Orc #3 or whatever is needed at any given time. You get free entry, meal vouchers, and no fake drama - the crew just play what they're told, and that changes every hour. No-one has their own special snowflake character that they're desperately trying to make King poo poo Of gently caress Mountain.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I am pretty good at tuning out people like that and I've stuck rigidly to a cool and good faction, so I'm probably talking out of my arse and there is a cesspool of terrible people I just never interact with.

lol if you think any LARP doesn't have massive amounts of drama and irredeemable assholes It's why I stick to crewing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't, it was a very badly thought out comment, so apologies for that.

Nah, don't feel like you need to apologise. Like all nerd pursuits, LARP has its share of actually good people. I've been to a couple of CP games and met a bunch of players that weren't horrible. But there's something about LARP that attracts the worst of the worst, and there's no getting around that, no matter what the system is.

Also CP has that guy who dresses in a stereotypical chinese mandarin outfit and affects a super racist "ching chong wing wong" accent. Which is.. something alright..

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Empire kids are adorable

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

So, is larping EVER anything but a bad idea? If someone wants to try larping, what should they avoid, and what should they keep in mind? Or is larping something literally nobody should ever do? (The answers to these questions would of course very depending on where one lives.)

I enjoy crewing, because I like the fighting bits, and the atmosphere of the big UK LARPs are pretty neat. It ends up like taking a weird sport vacation on the set of a mid-budget fantasy TV series.

Plus it's free.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

In Empire you have the Navarr, who are the woodsy tribal tracker/archer nation. It's basically the Legolas Ghetto.

Don't forget all the Warhammer knights in Highguard, purity seals and all. The League's brief might as well be "Hey have you read The Lies Of Locke Lamora?", and the Brass Coast is "Remember Antonio Banderas in 13th Warrior?". Marchers is the War Of The Roses Reenactor's Club, and Dawn is for Arthurian Romance nuts.

edit; still not as bad as the group in CP called the Tuareg, which is literally a North African Ethinic Group. Or the guys that dress up in bad psuedo-Chinese gear, complete with terrible accents.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 17, 2016

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

Most of the really hardcore boffer LARP players I've seen seem to be already willing to invest buttloads of cash into it, from the event fees to costuming and makeup to props and so on. I would not be at all surprised that they'd spend that kind of money on an in-game investment.

There's a difference between spending money on costume & kit, which are tangible items that can be used for multiple games/characters/systems and even sold to recoup some of the cost, and spending money on a bit of paper that gives your pretend elf +3 HP.

But like you, I'm not surprised at all that some people do it. :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Look at it this way. To build the equivalent item in game is probably a year or two worth of work, playing 6-8 events at your home chapter at $60 a pop.

That is the calculus of madmen who value fake numbers over real cash. And also I guess want to pay to "win"?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Could be more influence from hardcore historical reenactors in Europe, there's a lot of kit overlap. Whereas the main reenactment groups in the US are civil war based, afaik.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

occluded posted:

Holy poo poo seriously? Is Spanish one of those languages? I speak it fluently and being a translator/negotiator guy sounds like so much fun.

Oh wait is it a good idea to express interest in actually playing one of these games in this thread? Ignore me, carry on, etc.

Empire is okay if you have friends that already play. It's pointless and boring if you try to go on your own, as you'll never, ever find any plot. You might have an easier time if you specifically push the translation angle tho.

As usual my advice is to Crew first. It's free, and the NPC crew would love more multilingual people to play foreign diplomats.

http://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Crewing

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

because a lot of British people are big ol' racists whether or not they are LARPers.

Pretty sure it's this. And it's not just brits obviously, but I've noticed it's that sort of unthinking, "we're just having a laugh" "weyy banter", "I don't see what the problem is, there's no asians/black people/whatever around so it's okay to say" sort of thing.

I think Empire is really trying to be inclusive to everyone, and it's doing a pretty good job IMO. But people are people, and some people are awful.

EDIT:

MikeCrotch posted:

Empire was supposed to have the Orcs be a downtrodden near-slave race fighting for emancipation and equal rights (the only two actual races being Orc and Human). However, things went a lot quicker than expected since most players weren't really comfortable with being blatantly prejudiced against people based solely on their race, even if it is fantasy.

Can you imagine how uncomfortable and borderline offensive the Orc narrative would have seemed if Empire was being run in the States, or anywhere with a history of visible mass-slavery? It's sort of hillarious.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 29, 2016

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Camrath posted:

So this popped up on my FB feed today. It's a pretty good look at UK LARP (though focussed on Empire, the fighting scenes are from a Lorien Trust sanctioned event- few of my friends show up in it). Worth a look at least.

https://www.facebook.com/serge.tiley/videos/10153569635392555/

This really drives home that here is absolutely no way to make LARP fighting look good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

You can make it look better. But at the end of the day you're still wearing fancy dress and hitting people with rubber sticks.

The big Empire battles look loving amazing when you're in them. From outside, not so much.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ScratchAndSniff posted:

LARPers: please tell me about your character.

Whatever lovely Orc or bandit they tell me to play. Average lifespan: 5 minutes.

Sometimes I get to be an Ogre, which is a pain in the dick (since you have to wear American football shoulderpads under the costume) but fun (because you're an Ogre).

The end.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Next time I see a goony looking motherfucker over 6 foot tall in the skirmish crew, i'll knows it's you.

Hahahahaha who am I kidding, all larpers are goony looking.

If you've ever been murdered by an ogre wearing a hero belt with leather-scale tassets hanging off it, that was me.

I'm not actually able to play Empire at the moment, I won't be back til.. uhhh.. 2018 probably. Jesus.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

I want to respond in earnest because, well, you asked. At the same time taking the bait seems... risky.

I wouldn't.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

If I started an anti larp documentary kick starter would you be down?

The only effect would be the lifers doubling down, and the normal people being driven away, which makes the problem worse IMO.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ghogargi posted:

And I don't know if it was the disconnect from reality, or the fact that they were socially inept to begin with.

I've heard stories like these about "normal" nerd conventions, so probably the latter.

Nerds are loving terrible.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BERGfu posted:

So what I've read from this thread is that you need to more or less check out a community before you invest any time in something like this because more often than not you run into people who don't have a grip on reality? Are certain games or groups more prone to being weirdos?

There's always going to be weirdos, drama sponges, special snowflakes and the like. The trick is to find the people who are having fun but not investing their whole lives and identities into playing make believe.

Which, admittedly, can be like panning for gold in a sewer sometimes.

On an unrelated note, Tom Garnett's photos of the previous Empire game are absolutely stunning, they really look like movie stills.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

There's no way I'd LARP in public, I want my escapist, drinking/fighting weekend to be as far removed from real life as possible.

• Locked thread