Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Interesting thread title, I used to be interested in LARP, did it for a for a few years. Let's see what's up. Probably some boffer larp poo poo.

Ghogargi posted:

I was a member of a global LARP organization for five years, played in a troupe (singular LARP group) for two, and ran my own troupe for over a year.
Oh Jesus gently caress. This sounds like Mind's Eye Theater. Like... a lot. Like Camarilla. Like this is probably going to be bad.

Ghogargi posted:

I played in a few different LARPs. World of Darkness was the main one, and it’s the focus of this stuff.
Why am I not loving surprised? :suicide:

OP, right here with you. I've seen WOD LARP cause divorces. I've seen actual fist fights when a person "in character" took things too far. Nervous breakdowns from people mid game because 'poo poo got too real' for them. And everyone there is ready to bone someone or something. It's really a hosed up game. I honestly can't remember the last time I had fun with it and I played for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Not enough fun stories up here in this thread

c'mon fellas

There are no fun stories. These stories are disturbing and tragic. You want a story? Like I said before, this game literally caused a divorce.

Two of the players were married. As one of the players more often than not had a child to take care of she would often miss games, and the husband was getting irritated with this because the games were held in his house. He was one of the lifers Ghogargi spoke of, was playing before he met his wife and kept playing after as well, but he didn't have anyone in the area to game with for a long time. Thanks to this other guy, a good friend of mine, the player base got built back up from nothing and they started gaming again and the husband really wanted his wife to play. The wife wasn't really all that into it anyway and would rather play online games like Rift and Warcraft, but she tried to appease him and it just wasn't really working. Before this they were fine, as they just played MMOs together and that way if she had to take care of the kid she could.

Meanwhile he rubbed elbows with a few other female players; now he wasn't cheating on his wife with any of them, but there was definitely a tension building with the wife over it as he would constantly invite this girls over to plan out in character stuff and seemed to talk to them more than her.

Now, a few other players who were being dickheads decided to start the rumor that this guy was banging one of the girls behind his wife's back. That rumor began to spiral out of control and the wife started to question things happening at games. This dude started getting really pissy about it because he would never cheat on his wife and she knew that and blah blah blah. Then she stopped going to games entirely because she didn't want the headache. The tension built up further and further from there, every game becoming more and more uncomfortable, and the husband started taking it out on other players and being quite the vindictive little assholes even for Vampire's standards. Even going as far as to cheat to make sure people he didn't liked weren't allowed to participate and such. It was pretty hosed up for a while. It caused several players to leave including the two girls I mentioned before.

This started the ultimate fight, which I wasn't there for, but according to other players went like this. He's trying to get his wife to come back to the game now that the supposed harlot is gone. Her response is that he'll just go off and start RPing with some other woman. He flips out and starts screaming at her, she starts screaming back, everyone in the living room is really uncomfortable, she gets her things and heads outside. Several players get up to make sure she's okay (we didn't like this guy anyway) and she's walking down the street. Someone offers her a ride, and everyone else heads back in. The son is crying and hugging his father's leg saying "no no no no no" and he just looks at the players and says "Gotta cancel the rest of game tonight. Sorry." Everyone leaves, many angry because they had drove to this dude's house and had only been there for like ten minutes. They ended up heading over to someone else's house and the game continued from there.

Next game was also held at said persons house where it was officially declared they had gotten a divorce. Over the next month or so it goes through, they're single, she gets a new place over on the other side of town and custody of the kid, he immediately gets a new girlfriend because of course he did (one who likes LARPing, imagine that), and he mellows out. Starts being a nice guy again. She drops from the scene entirely and apparently from gaming all together, becoming a painter or some such poo poo.

I saw her at a gas station once. We talked for a bit. She still to this day blames the game, that everything was fine until he started LARPing.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 11, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ghogargi posted:

There are some comments from other folks tackling this, so I'll give my standard abbreviated answer:

The LARPing I did is live improvisational dramatic theater without an audience. That's the best way I can describe it.

Here, I'll give a run down of the average game where I came from.

Game starts at 8 PM, generally people show up around six or seven to start setting up and hang out. Sometimes there is a pre game meeting and if there is it'll be at like 6:30 and last for an hour. Nothing happens during this time other than people going on about how awesome their character is.

At 8 the storyteller gathers everyone together, hits a few key points about the evening, reminds players of poo poo that happened the week before, and depending on the game something different happens. Let's say it's Vampire. 'Court' is held, and it's usually just a bunch of people sitting around in character talking business and politik. Usually new players have their characters introduced at this point, people act all weasley and show off for the new players in an attempt to make them think the game is really cool. This takes about an hour.

Around 9 serious discussion of poo poo starts to happen, with characters discussing how they're going to handle the problem they currently have going. Some players break off from the main group at this time to go with an ST to make some actions happens ("I need to know where this particular reporter is who has footage of us, so I'm going to hack into the TV news station and bring up employee records.") At this point people not actively participating just devolve into dumb conversation usually about their characters and how awesome they are.

Around 10 PM the ST usually introduces something to the plot; we call this the ten o clock monster. People deal with the issue probably for the next hour and a half, on average. Once again more time is spent with people talking about how cool they are as opposed to actually doing something or arguing with the ST when their awesome cool poo poo doesn't work the way they think it should. Most "fights" are over in game time like thirty seconds or so, but you wouldn't know that given how much figurative jerking off the players are doing.

11:30 soft RP is declared; no more actions are allowed. It's a time period for players to do more business and poo poo. Generally if there are any last minute things that need to be taken care of this is when they happen. Usually it's just more character wank.

At 12 we would wrap up. Usually someone would declare they're going to Waffle House and a bunch of people join them. Conversation about characters continues there freaking out waitresses, and the next game is also discussed. People are supposed to help clean, but usually it's like three or four people cleaning everyone else's garbage while they play on their phones and update their character sheets.

Everyone goes home and sends emails containing downtime information, or what your character does the next four weeks before the next game.

That's it.

It's really loving lame.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 11, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Camrath posted:

Also, over here the convention seems to be that the type of game the OP and Skunkrocker are referring to is known as LRP, as opposed to the full contact LARP that I do.
Yeah, I don't know too much about boffer LARP.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Victory Yodel posted:

Interesting thread and thanks for the description. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I played D&D like every other nerd when I was in high school so I get the general idea of roleplaying, but how are things actually resolved? In the example above where someone is going to "hack into the tv station's computer to get employment records", does the character in question simply have "hacking skillz"? Does it automatically succeed or do they have to do something? (In the tabletop games I played, someone would have to roll a d20 or something to see if it was successful). Does the GM arbitrate?

How is bad behavior discouraged? So if I'm at one of these sessions and decide I want to kill some other guy do I simply walk up and jab a foam knife in his ear? Do I tell the GM that this is what I'm going to do and the guy can try to thwart it? Is it simply "you can't do that" or you'll never be invited back?

I apologize if these are obvious questions, just trying to understand this culture.
1. I'll run through the hacking scenario. I say to the ST "I wanna hack into the TV station files." He goes okay and we look through my skills and poo poo to see which ones I have. He says I need three successes to get past their firewall, and I take a two point penalty doing this over wifi. Now, I have an Intelligence of 4 and a Computer skill of 5. In order to get three successes I would need to pull a 7 or higher out of 10. If I draw a 6 or lower the ST would say I get knocked out of the system and the security team gets notified. If I pull a 1, no matter what it fails. Pull a 10 and I get to add 10 to my total and my next pull also gets added regardless of what number it is. Most STs stop after one 10 because you can only get as many successes as your highest stat and most players have a 5 or lower.
There are other complex additions, but you get the idea I hope.
2. I dunno about boffer. That seems more like a boffer LARP question just because you can't really sneak attack in WOD PVP. Anyway, bad behavior is discouraged in two ways. The first we'd kill your character. If your next character is also a dillhole, you can actually be suspended from play and asked not to come back. At that point if you don't leave it's trespassing.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Domus posted:

-It's like a simulated high school, down to the clans being the jocks, the art fags, the punks, the weirdos, the crazies, etc. Everyone and everything is constantly about stabbing each other in the back, trying to gain status and popularity in the most convoluted and insane ways. The idea seems to be for one group to out-dick the other groups.
-None of the conflict ever seems to come from outside the group dynamic. It's never about werewolves attacking, or the evil corporation thing trying to take over the city. They seem to have a huge fantasy world to play in, only to not actually interact with it.
-It's supposed to be connected worldwide, but nothing seems to have any real effect on worldwide events. It's not like a group can go "Hey, let's all break the Masquerade together
, and go on Fox News and explain vampires!" and have it do anything. When I pointed this out, the response was "No, like last cycle, they made [unusual faction] be the most powerful in south america!" Uh, ok, no one blew up New York or anything? No one released a vampire virus that was spreading from region to region?
-No beginner gets any power or specialness behind a character. Which is fine for the first time you play a game, except that you play that character for FOUR YEARS. Then maybe you get a little bit of power or get to be a rarer breed.
-You can never get to the highest levels of power, because someone will always have been playing for a longer time than you, and therefore have more power. There's no cap.
1. Yep. That sounds about right. Clique is the name of the game.
2. The ST would try to introduce poo poo like that, but of course the players most of whom had been playing these games for years dominate the plot stuff and get back to high school politick before the end of the night. No one really gave a poo poo about the plot stuff, but it's required in some games simply because there isn't a whole lot to do. Vampire pretty much ran itself, but the other games required the ST to introduce plot just because the players would sit around and bullshit the entire time. Without an active antagonist (most players TRIED to make characters get along, because they wanted to be seen as the ultra cool hero) games de-evolve into social hour.
3. Okay, I can say I have actually seen that happen where poo poo that happens in your game actually makes the in-game national headlines and it's a headache because then people want to show up in your city, but don't have the money to show personally, and they have to send a proxy. I played in the Cam for several years before I said gently caress it, and I still don't know how the proxy thing works.
4. Eh, usually your first character gets murdered three months in and you have to make a new one anyway. That's my experience. I can say actually paying for a membership automatically gives you, like, thirty extra XP or some poo poo on your character.
5. There IS a cap, but you'll never get it, not in Cam anyway. It's reserved for special people, as in the guys who have given twenty bucks a year to the org for the past two decades and have a billion prestige points with them. They get the coveted Member Class 15, giving them the most amount of power. These people are like cops; supposed to be held to a higher scrutiny, more often than not abusing their power and being gigantic cocks.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Have you seen the episode of Supernatural where they are LARPing? Is that a mildly accurate portrayal of LARP or more the glorified ideal?

Don't know. I honestly don't. Don't get me wrong, I see what you're asking, it's just there are an entire subsets of LARP no one has talked about yet. We can only go on about what we have experienced. For all we know that whole thing could be based on an actual thing that happened at a Supernatural themed convention minus the actual haunting. Like Kripke was just like "This is weird as poo poo, I'm gonna put it in an episode!" :shrug:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Oh I meant the Felicia Day "Queen of the Elves" episode not the "role play Supernatural" episode in the hotel or whatever. I forgot there was more than one. Still may be tough to answer.

Oh I forgot about that. Uh, well, again boffer wasn't my thing so I know very little about it.

Most of the people I know who do boffer I consider dumb but harmless, as compared to the psychos who did MET.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I kinda feel like I'm answering more questions than the OP at this point. Is that a bad thing?

ScratchAndSniff posted:

It sounds like the lifers will spend huge amounts of money on whole wardrobes. Does this mean players who wear cheap costumes looked down on? Is wearing the same costume every event acceptable?
I never experienced that. You certainly become more "popular" for having a costume because your character stands out, but no one looks down on you. And yeah, that tends to happen; outfits for characters more or less end up being the same every time. It was because people were cheap and lazy but often it also meant easy identification which people switched characters mid game which tended to happen. "Oh, he's wearing the blindfold, he must be Uriel now."

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I would guess a lot of the "fun" from these things comes from playing dress-up, but are there any consequences to having too much fun? Would they ban someone for dressing up like Count Chocula, or would they just work around it?
I have no idea. That has never happened at any game I've been to. I'd really like to see it now.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Also, I don't know much about Vampire, but I played the video game. Do people RP as the crazy vampires? How does that work?
Terribly. There is a mechanic in the game for it that forces the crazy out at times, but then the players purposely force it because they like RPing crazy and it gets really dumb really fast. Also, kind of a weird thing, but often people who show up to these things have some honest mental issues so their version of what is considered insanity is often what most people consider normal.

To put it into perspective, imagine if you told a furry to act crazy and he started doing human poo poo. Yeah. It's a bit like that.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Rime posted:

It seems that long term relationships and engagements being regularly destroyed by partners who decide their VTM LARP is the most important thing in life, is more common than I'd ever imagined.

Same thing happened to me: seven years vanished overnight when she decided to break it off and get shotgun married to the LARP'er she'd been cheating on me with, and subsequently make pretending to be a vampire twice a month her entire reason to exist. In retrospect, much retrospect, the signs were clear where she'd lost touch with reality but I do not think there was anything I could have done to halt her slide into that bizarro world. Past a certain point, you and your actions just come to represent everything they're seeking to escape from if you aren't also head-deep in the fantasy.

When you get down to it, there's little difference between drug-addicted trailer trash and full blown game-addicts, one just hasn't fully developed the same social stigma yet.

You're right, drug addicted trailer trash are still considered cool in some circles. :v:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Vagon posted:

So.. What happens when a good looking, charismatic person shows up to one of these events? Do they already? Do the pitchforks come out by the other guys/girls(Depending on the gender of said newcomer) or does some insane cult of personality prop up around them?

Edit: I don't want this to sound like I'm saying all larpers are ugly social retards, I just meant in comparison to the other players. I'm sorry if this came off as too blunt/offensive in any way, it wasn't intentional.

You wouldn't believe the number of people who fill this category that go to LARPs. Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of fat balding men and women so skinny you'd assume they were skeletons except they have hair down to their non existent rear end and several who either were blasted in the face with a shotgun or used sulfuric acid to "cure" their acne because their face is all hosed up. But a lot of people show up who you'd be surprised are hanging out with a group of people like this. Often successful, good looking, charismatic men and women will show up and play.

And these are often the creepiest and scariest out of the entire bunch. No poo poo. These people are getting their inner demons out playing these games. They're often times worse than the lifers. :smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Tamarillo posted:

he had almost NO HUMANITY LEFT and as a human I was NOT ACTING SCARED ENOUGH

Tamarillo posted:

Toward the end of the night someone asked me if I was a ghoul, I had no idea what that meant so I said I was a human, and they were like "sweet she's not taken by anyone!" and then next thing you know I'm paper-scissors-rocking and informed I'm this guys ghoul and I have to hang out with him. Apparently he's so old and strong that no human can resist him so I literally couldn't have 'won' the paper scissors rock. I call bullshit, they're like NO ITS THE RULES.

Wow. So they didn't explain poo poo to you. Barely wrote you up a character sheet and thrust you into the middle of all of this without explaining major game mechanics politely? Your boyfriend is a total dick. First off, the no humanity thing is a total game mechanic; if he's low on humanity he's less Edward from Twilight and more Orlock from Nosferatu. Mechanically, within the game, he should have frightened you. Also, about the not being able to win RPS. Basically if the guy is old enough and goes back enough generations he gets enough retests that he'll eventually beat you. Even if you had retests to try and resist. It's a bullshit mechanic. There is a reason they stopped using it in New WoD.

I can say this, if this poo poo happened at a Cam game in the States there would be disciplinary actions. The creep factor would have remained, but not explaining major game mechanics and letting a player come in as a human and attempting to garner OOC information from a person through IC tactics and doing things aggressively to a new player who has no idea the mechanics? Suspensions at the very least, desanctioning of characters most likely, and banned from events a possibility. All of those are major no-nos.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ghogargi posted:

Sorry. I went a bit ranty on this one. I just wanted to share my experiences with complaints and offenses over the years as I played.

No, it's okay! Seriously, I didn't know poo poo like that was going on. Our games were awesome by comparison and I hate saying that. :smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Rime posted:

Cautionary tales are usually co-opted by the very group they're supposed to be speaking to, though. Gordon Gekko became the idol of an entire generation of shithead wanna-be finance wizards, despite that film being about how Gekko was a monster and his methods would inevitably destroy him and his entire industry.

Then we got the 2008 financial crisis. :v:

And wouldn't you know it, then we got a Wall Street sequel two years later. Funny how that works, huh? :v:

Also wanted to make a quick response to this.

BiggerBoat posted:

I have sort of a dumb question. Why, instead of dedicating your life to something as soul crushing and ultimately unrewarding as LARP, don't the players just get involved in community theater and put on a play or something if they like to play dress up and act? Even an improv type of thing?

I got into Vamp LARP myself because I'm an amateur actor and it was good practice, but I don't think these people want to be actors. They want to be the center of attention. They want to be winners. They want to be popular. These people don't want to play the background character, they want to be the hero or the villain. They want to be Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader at all times and will not ever settle for being Stormtroooper #2582 or Random Guy At Cantina. They might have even tried out to be in a play, and when they weren't Romeo or Juliet probably said gently caress it and quit. Me? I don't mind being just a guy. I don't mind being a background extra, or the guy who passes along info and is never seen again, or some jerk on the street. That's my theory, anyway.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

So why does pretend vampire make people go crazier?

I thought about this and I think I came up with a good answer as to why, psychologically. It's like Mario Party. Everyone starts out as friends and you play the game. The strategy comes in three parts. 1. Dicking over your friends and doing things to prevent them from winning. 2. Being good at the minigames, sometimes by pure blind luck and sometimes by pouring a ton of time and effort into them. 3. Random number generator. Success is just as random as anything else because at the end of the day it's just a glorified board game, yet you're taking it super seriously because you want to win even though winning has no reward and losing has no consequence. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're first or last because you can just play the game again next week. And that is Vampire LARP in a nutshell, except that the game never ends. You're just stuck on Luigi's Engine Room, constantly looping forever, and whoever has the most Stars is considered the winner for now... until you roll the dice just right and take them all away, or send them to Bowser, or unplug their controller, or whatever. Now, you've totally hosed over everyone you know and made them all angry, but you're supposed to still be friends with them. Since you have people who are a little whacked are the ones already playing this game you can see how something like this would push them over the edge.

Moral of the Story: don't play Mario Party.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

MET rules are actually pretty simple, however Anoia's game made two mistakes.

1. PVP. PVP always gets rules lawyered, because how special is your snowflake if it melts?
2. Genre mixing. Genre mixing is ALWAYS bad. The rules are written for you to use those other genres as antagonists, and never as working together. It's why when MES tried doing this stupid thing called Accord that was literally "hey we're all superheroes now, let's fight cthulhu!" and allowed you to create any kind of character you wanted (EXCEPT YOU COULDN'T USE THE SLASHER BOOK WHAT THE gently caress) it ended up being a convoluted mess.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

betaraywil posted:

No please don't do that. That would be weird and also a really clear example of failing to leave the scene behind completely, which might make the OP sad :smith:

I'm curious about the music. Does every Vampire Night just have nondescript chamber music going in the background? Does the host make a playlist? Is it one of those "scary Halloween sounds" CDs or late-era Danzig or like pagan fiddle metal like Eleuveitie?

We never had music at our games. Some games had some soft mood music in the background. Others have had like pro wrestling style entrance music for people and that was it. I guess it varies.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Everblight posted:

I don't believe the Vampire LARP group member that claims to be an ex-Navy 'arms master,'

Well... I was once told one of our local larpers was not just ex EOD, but also nuclear waste disposal, and that's why he was so "hosed up."

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

It was fun the first few times. Then it gets super lame really fast when you realize all these people are exactly as described above. You go to a few more games hoping for that same spark you saw originally, then you get a life.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I've been sitting here staring at a blank empty box trying to figure out what I'm going to say in response to you, tuyop. Frankly, there is nothing to say. I'm not saying you're right, but I'm certainly not saying you're wrong. What I will say is that from my own personal experiences over the years I've never really felt like those around me have ever given me a choice. Oft times the complaint of this is responded with "just walk away." But, ya know, I don't think anyone wants to do that. No one wants to just walk away from something they were enjoying just because someone else came and ruined it with whatever. I thought about that, and then I thought about all those assholes on tumblr going on about trigger warnings and other bullshit and thinking they should grow up. Well, people probably think the same thing about me because I get squicked by sexual stuff. I guess the big difference is I'm not all "you're triggering me" about it, but the difference is I put up with a lot over the years until I just couldn't take it anymore and left, which I didn't want to do. So I failed. I suppose what I'm saying here is that human beings are cruel parasitic monsters that as a whole the entire species couldn't give any of a less of a drat about how you feel about anything and honestly most of them wish you were dead.

We're all alone. All of us. And we're going to die alone. :smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

ancient werewolf master beekeepers

JcDent posted:

As if any of them would play a calm and collected old beekeeper garou.

I'm going to a scifi con with a major Camarilla member who loves Garou this weekend. I'll make sure to mention this to him.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

People trying to weasel out of being forced to answer honestly in a game about pretending to be a vampire is the funniest yet saddest thing about WOD. :v:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

On second thought, after reading this thread for a while, the LARPers I knew were tame by comparison. You guys know some real nuts.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

1. Can you talk about your experience with tabletop gaming? Do you still table top game? If not, why not? What is your impression of the difference between the two communities?

2. Let's talk about taking things too seriously. Can you tell us about your experiences with people who began to identify AS there characters?

3. This is not a comedy thread, got it; however, what is the funniest anecdote you have from your LARP days?

1. I did some tabletop, would do it again, haven't really done it lately though just because of time and poo poo. The biggest difference is answered in your second question. LARP is taken way too seriously. Tabletop you goof off, beer and pretzels, there's some music, you're comfortable, there are way more npcs you don't have to worry about so your core players basically form the party and kill anyone you don't like or whatever. It's great!
2. Identify as their character? Not really. Outside of the game people talk about their characters like they talk about their cars or the sex they had last night or something, but they go to work just like anyone else as far as I saw. The problem was their seriousness was different from that. Playing tabletop I often liked to goof around, but these people would shush you best scream at you at worst if you were talking out of character. They hide their character sheets like it's delicate information even if you're the guy running the game. They'll put their hands on you even though it says in the rules that's grounds for being terminated from the game because they're "acting." There is nothing more important than the game. They are of course the most important part of the game. And you, by existing, are ruining the game because you are not them. It's hosed up.
3. I dunno how funny this story will be to you, but the super hardcore players hate IC suicide. They hate it. They hate it so much because in their eyes you can just retire your character. But I didn't want to give them the pleasure of that. They did some fucky business where my character was forced to owe one of the characters played by a total dick a boon, I forget how large, probably a life boon. I forget. So that guy left the room, some other poo poo went down, I grabbed a cigarette and a soda and walked outside and pulled the storyteller to the side.
"So, yeah, uh... I either need to make some rolls or you need to let me do whatever." "Well technically we're in soft RP so... why, what's up?" "Uh, I'm walking into the sunrise." He stopped and looked at me. "Wait a second, you're killing yourself over what [dickhead] did?" "Yeah, gently caress that guy, he's an rear end." "Okay..."

So then like I think it was a month later? Two weeks? Some poo poo like that, I forget how the time span goes in those games, I walk in with a brand new character and talk to the ST about getting him introduced. Dickhead walks in, sees me, notices I have a new character sheet. "Wait, what happened to blah blah blah character?" "Oh, I killed him." "What?" "Yeah. Suicided him, into the sunrise. Don't worry, you'll find out when the game goes live."

The autistic meltdown was glorious. That guy had to leave the game that night because he couldn't calm down.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

So at my new job I ran into two of my old World of Darkness LARP buddies. They played in a different city from mine and I talked to them about poo poo the other day. They told me they generally didn't have any problems, that the few people they had who more or less caused trouble A. never did anything too bad and B. have chilled since ten years ago. Also, the one time I was visiting one of their games and something weird and uncomfortable happened they both pointed out it was a one time thing and that it was quietly squashed and people were reprimanded. So that's good. After a while they all just stopped playing, for whatever reason, and moved on to other things, which is adult and healthy I suppose. They're actually talking about trying to start another one around here since they haven't played in a while. I might join in. Who knows. I'm kind of a sucker.

All THAT said they told me a new horror story I had never heard before about a different city entirely where after the game several of the more prominent players would go have a "blood orgy." I kept making Woodland Christmas Critter jokes because I thought he was kidding but both confirmed it was actually a thing. I'm not even sure the way they were talking that fake blood was involved. This same group of people would also visit starting games in the global chronicle and destroy them by killing characters and disrupting gameplay to "establish dominance" in the area, or some such poo poo, making poo poo really personal. I don't know if I've talked to any of these people and my skin crawls worrying that I befriended one or something.

Man, I'm just glad I never experienced anything that bad and that my experiences were more or less just annoyances that made me want to go do something else with my time. Sounds like with this stuff you're literally a dice roll (pun intended) away from a bad time.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Veskit posted:

Do black people LARP? If so are they different than everyone else? I just don't see it happening.

Yes they do. Not as few as you'd think, either. Several played in Chattanooga's WOD larps.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

LARP events need someone with a GoPro strapped to their chest and they need to show off some actual RP outside of combat.

Don't do this at a Whitewolf LARP unless you want to watch fat goth nerds wax poetic about the vampire equivalent of high school drama.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

ScratchAndSniff posted:

LARPers: please tell me about your character.

I want to respond in earnest because, well, you asked. At the same time taking the bait seems... risky.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ugh, fine. I'll tell you about my last vampire in the Cam. Vincent Jackson.

Vincent was a Ventrue turned near the end of the civil war. Raised from embrace by an Invictus he eventually joined the Carthians to establish a more liberal democracy within the Requiem. He was mainly a lawyer for others, and respected by the city for always being honest to everyone and also for being a pacifist. He had no combat skills, and often fed from non human sources as he was low enough Blood Potency to do so at the time.

My goal with the character was to go up in humanity, something incredibly difficult. Other players realized what I was doing around the time I hit humanity 9. The game suddenly became "cause Skunk to go down in humanity." It didn't work. I applied for Humanity 10, and drew up a new character so I didn't have to play Vincent as much. Once my humanity 10 was approved I kind of quit playing because the games were getting lovely and the players were terrible and no one showed up except for Old WOD.

There was an approval in the global system that would allow you to retire your character as a mortal human again. I was planning on doing just that and being the first to successfully do it but... eh, LARP is lame. Tabletop is better, and no bullshit "this ability has to be approved by seven people" or "this book isn't allowed in this genre" crap.

I'm still bitter they wouldn't let me roll a Slasher in the Accord.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Unfortunately I didn't. I kind of regret my decision, but gently caress it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Yeah, also you just registered two days ago. Kind of creepy dude.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

ScratchAndSniff posted:

To be fair, if they did need treatment they probably would have anyway, with or without your involvement. I'm not convinced that the correlation between LARPing and mental illness is evidence that otherwise normal people can end up damaged by any make-believe experience they have while pretending to be a vampire.

This going off the assumption normal people LARP. I apologize if that sounds insulting, just saying I know that mist if not all players including myself had some sanity problems going into it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

trauma llama posted:

Edit: that sounded harsh.

Look at my rap sheet. No worries, mate. I'm an overly emotional angry man who takes poo poo way too personally. You're probably normal compared to me.

I can only go off my experience which is World of Darkness global LARP. Trust me, they may seem normal, like they have jobs and kids and social lives. They're not. They're all diseased. I'm not trying to be a dick, Vampire just attracts those people.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 31, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Oh, yeah, the "I lost someone close to me" backstory cliché is so common someone was actually shocked a character I built didn't have it because almost everyone else did, and the ones who didn't had the abuse angle which I also didn't have. Yay?

FYI, I have done both those clichés as backstories before. So I guess I am part of the problem after all. :smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Ghogargi posted:

It makes me want to do a documentary about this poo poo, so outside people can get clued in to just how damaging it can be. All the ones I've seen are attempts to show normal folks how cool and okay LARPing is, or to make fun of it, or to showcase the losers for the sake of dredging up pity. I've never seen one with ex-LARPers sharing the stuff that people have in this thread. The things I've read here, they're serious stuff. From the outside looking in, I cannot believe how many unacceptable things I ignored, let slide, laughed about, and encouraged. It's a totally skewed perception of social reality.

Oh god I gotta be brutally honest, not only do I want that I've thought about it too.

The biggest problem is that you would have to travel a distance to find former LARPers who have negative feelings on the matter. I was one of three people in my local area who use to play that had a problem with LARP. The other two... BOTH rejoined, even though they hated it, because they were dependent! And, poo poo, I STILL think about playing.

Christ.

This thread got really depressing for me.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Serperoth posted:

How come people like that can't be the least bit original? Is it just "everyone wants to be edgy", or something more specific?

Originality is loving shunned. Not joking either. One concept I came up with was for a character who was basically the personal iPod for a Fae, and no longer could communicate except through song lyrics, and this was vetoed by the domain storyteller!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Not sure why that reaction, but okay.

Basically in the games about being outside of the mainstream, being weird, being an individual... original concepts outside of what is the new normal are verboten. Be average and contemporary or be busted, as Jello Biafra would say. Nine times out of ten characters will have the same lovely backstories as everyone else. The other one will be something so weird that other people won't accept it, and that weirdness comes in the form of not being like everyone else. You have to conform. At least in the Cam anyway.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Veskit posted:

Going back a little bit I'm not sure how I feel about the unironic blackface, arms and legs. Like I'm genuinely conflicted how to handle that.

Uh, follow-up question, why aren't you conflicted by ironic blackface? Blackface in general is pretty bad, I feel.

Maybe that is just me.

Edit: maybe this isn't the time or place to get into this...

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I've never LARPed but have table topped. If someone said "my character only communicates by singing, enjoy!" I'd instantly ban them or make them think of a gimmick that was not insufferable.

Yeah, and I never said that so... okay, moving on.

Ghogargi posted:

It was just one example of the general social obliviousness that permeated the culture. Same as the dude wearing the 'gently caress You You loving gently caress' shirt in the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton hotel. Or the chick who was told by hotel staff to please put on more than a draped scarf over her chest when walking through the public areas of the hotel. It was a constant thing. There was a reason that people were told at opening ceremonies to please remember to take showers.

And I don't know if it was the disconnect from reality, or the fact that they were socially inept to begin with.

Admittedly most conventions I've gone to things like that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Every lifer I know who stopped has done so literally because their games collapsed, some going as far as to roleplay in chatrooms to keep their characters active after their player base quits. That's really what makes them lifers, that inability to let go. Then some people move to the area who are also players, a new game starts up and the whole process continues with the same results.

• Locked thread