Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
you should watch it, gbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's only good if you imagine the principal cast is made up of really stupid-rear end time travelers from the 90's who thought 'we should go back in time and invent the internet'

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's only good if you imagine the principal cast is made up of really stupid-rear end time travelers from the 90's who thought 'we should go back in time and invent the internet'

that's mean. have you tried being nice for a change?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
ive never heard of it OP is it some kinda of weird foreign show?

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
sounds like my kind of show

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
watched 5 minutes of the first episode so i consider myself qualified to pass judgement and idk it looked like they were really going for a 'mad men' type thing which didn't suit the material at all

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

ive never heard of it OP is it some kinda of weird foreign show?

it's a show about computers

Clipperton posted:

watched 5 minutes of the first episode so i consider myself qualified to pass judgement and idk it looked like they were really going for a 'mad men' type thing which didn't suit the material at all

i like halt and catch fire but did not like mad men so i respectfully disagree

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

i think my dad's been watching it but i pretty much have to rebel against him because one day i will kill him and then sleep with my mom so i dont think i can watch the show op

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

mr robot is the better nerd computer show

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is it really though or is it wankery like only hipsters can do?

like what is it exactly? the trailers started intriguing then quickly got into 'pixie girl hacks the planet' territory and eh.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bro Dad posted:

its ok but the guy supposedly has the kind of autism that makes you not comfortable speaking to anyone but he talks up all the females and gets laid.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Matey posted:

i think my dad's been watching it but i pretty much have to rebel against him because one day i will kill him and then sleep with my mom so i dont think i can watch the show op

i'm with you on the part where my dad is watching it, and also the part where i'm loving your mom

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
wiki says it's like a 80s/90s alternate timeline where these dudes stole some poo poo from IBM and made a better computer? I mean it's just like a nerd's day dream or something idk

why not just make a show about the actual poo poo that happened and drama it up instead of making poo poo up whole cloth?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Does it have any SJWism in it?

If it has any hint of SJWism in it I get triggered and fly off my handle with uncontrollable rage

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

Moridin920 posted:

wiki says it's like a 80s/90s alternate timeline where these dudes stole some poo poo from IBM and made a better computer? I mean it's just like a nerd's day dream or something idk

why not just make a show about the actual poo poo that happened and drama it up instead of making poo poo up whole cloth?

But what role will pixie nerd girl and bisexual business dude have to play in all of this?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Bro Dad posted:

Is it like the big bang theory then? ?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

Is it like the big bang theory then? ?

this is the primary reason I haven't seen the show yet. It seriously smacks of 'trying to catch that big bang theory audience while also being a little more modern than a sitcom' and eh. that show was awful.

it's like everybody forgot they weren't in the 90s and were eating up a lovely sitcom with lovely jokes like it was the best thing on TV since Friends.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
It's a bad show. Sorry OP.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
So they named a show after a joke mnemonic for a fake 6502 assembly opcode from a nearly 40 years old computer magazine? Why?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

this is the primary reason I haven't seen the show yet. It seriously smacks of 'trying to catch that big bang theory audience while also being a little more modern than a sitcom' and eh. that show was awful.

it's like everybody forgot they weren't in the 90s and were eating up a lovely sitcom with lovely jokes like it was the best thing on TV since Friends.

i hated big bang theory and like hcf

hth something awful forums user Moridin920

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
I really like Halt and Catch fire.

I also like Mr Robot.

Its nice to see shows that actually use realistic IT stuff instead of saying poo poo like, "WERE GONNA SMURF THE MAINFRAME AND HACK ALL THE WHALE PHISHERS!"

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

psyopmonkey2 posted:

I really like Halt and Catch fire.

I also like Mr Robot.

Its nice to see shows that actually use realistic IT stuff instead of saying poo poo like, "WERE GONNA SMURF THE MAINFRAME AND HACK ALL THE WHALE PHISHERS!"

thats the reason i never liked the big bang theory and i'm gonna go off on a big fuckin nerd rant here because i am one

the reason i hate that show is because it's a caricature- a nerd says a bunch of words nobody understands or does something awkward, laugh track, nerd is suddenly funny

the reason i like a show like silicon valley for example is because it's realistic- sure, the nerds are awkward, neurotic, and dorky, but they're also true to life; the indian developer, the weird security guy, the pushover team lead, i know people in my work life who are a perfect match for each major character on that show

also it's technically accurate (jargon, lingo, and apps/languages used), and there's a lot of in-jokes (sk3wl 0f r00t reference by gilfoyle, the brogrammers in the earlier episodes, etc) that nerds in the industry will get but enough "normal" humor that it also appeals to the average viewer

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
Mr robot showed TowelRoot on an episode.

I made a high pitched noise and then did a happy dance.

Gotta root, before you snoot. :3:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Both HCF and Mr. Robot are good. Good job OP!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

It's no "Small Wonder"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HAHAHAHAHA OP gently caress YOU THAT SHOW IS poo poo AND SO AR EYOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think you triggered fyodor

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

fyodor posted:

HAHAHAHAHA OP gently caress YOU THAT SHOW IS poo poo AND SO AR EYOU

that's mean. have you tried being nice for a change?

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
must be an english show or some poo poo never heard of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp

gbaby posted:

must be an english show or some poo poo never heard of it

Yeah, its on the BBC.

• Locked thread