Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Isn't nature like the only reason anyone ever even visits that state

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Melmac posted:

Isn't nature like the only reason anyone ever even visits that state

Lol

:420:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

iron copper and zinc
the most lethal elements on the periodic table

I think there is other poo poo in there. Too

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Outdoor recreation and tourism is indeed one of the only reasons anyone goes to "that side" of the state. That, and to live in the breathtaking irony of being an individualistic libertarian in towns made viable through federal subsidies and the cut rate utilization of public (and federally managed) lands.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

I think there is other poo poo in there. Too
nuh uh

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

blowfish posted:

:perfect:

also that heavy metal pollution is going to solve itself for the drinking water when everything precipitates out

i mean the river bed will be poisoned for like forever and half the wildlife is probably dead but whatever

Tell that to the Navajos and everyone sucking the dick of tourists

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
If we're going to compete with China we have to start somewhere.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Fasdar posted:

Outdoor recreation and tourism is indeed one of the only reasons anyone goes to "that side" of the state. That, and to live in the breathtaking irony of being an individualistic libertarian in towns made viable through federal subsidies and the cut rate utilization of public (and federally managed) lands.

I had this dipshit friend in college who's once neocon Republican family all turned into raging libertarian Paultards. They moved up to Eagle or whatever and would post pictures of White River National Forest constantly and about how beautiful gods creation was right next to posts about how no government agency except the military is allowed by the Constitution. People on the western slope are morons

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Also tons of redneck libertarians who hate government except for when oil companies start fracking within 10 miles of their property

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Goons if I die from the tang, please visit my grave and pour gravy in respect.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Where the uranium and plutonium at? Those types of elements are the best elements.

gottabefrank
Sep 19, 2014

drat, that EPA crew finished their waste water project MONTHS ahead of schedule. I think they deserve a promotion for their ingenuity!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

gottabefrank posted:

drat, that EPA crew finished their waste water project MONTHS ahead of schedule. I think they deserve a promotion for their ingenuity!

Cut them off a slice once the FEMA check arrives.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In the 50-60s my grandfather worked at some dow chemical uranium enrichment plant and there was a massive accident that poisoned the northwest of all of Colorado for the next 1000 years. Anyway the government mostly covered it up.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
The day of that announcement, State Senator Ellen Roberts, a Republican who lives near the river, cried softly as she considered the pollution, adding that she had dropped her father’s ashes in the depths of the river, which pollutants had turned into an unnatural-looking yellow-orange ribbon.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Testing by the E.P.A. — an agency typically in the position of responding to toxic disasters, not causing them — found that the wastewater spill caused levels of arsenic, lead and other metals to spike in the Animas River.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/us/durango-colorado-mine-spill-environmental-protection-agency.html?_r=0

All good here

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

EorayMel posted:

Where the uranium and plutonium at? Those types of elements are the best elements.

Near moab utah, owned by the ruskies.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this is what happens when you dont give the epa enough funding

they hire idiots

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

In the 50-60s my grandfather worked at some dow chemical uranium enrichment plant and there was a massive accident that poisoned the northwest of all of Colorado for the next 1000 years. Anyway the government mostly covered it up.

September 11, 1957 – Rocky Flats Plant, Golden, Colorado, USA – Fire, release of nuclear materials

A fire began in a theoretically fireproof area inside the plutonium processing building, in a materials handling glove box and spread through the ventilation system into the stack filters at the Rocky Flats weapons mill 27 kilometres (17 mi) from Denver, Colorado. The fire quickly spread to the plutonium as various safety features failed. As the containment ability of the facility became compromised, plumes of radioactive smoke were sent high into the air. The fire raged inside the building for 13 hours over the night of the 11th & 12th before firefighters could finally extinguish it. In the aftermath, Department of Energy officials, and the Dow Chemical officials who ran the facility, did not admit the extent of the catastrophe, or the radiation danger, to local officials or the media. Knowledge of the extent of the damage and contamination was kept from the public for years. After the fire, plutonium was detected 30 miles from the plant - heavily contaminating the region, including a school 12 miles away, as well as including Denver and its environs. An independent group of scientists conducting off-site testing 13 years later found plutonium contamination in areas in nearby Rocky Flats to be 400 to 1,500 times higher than normal, higher than any ever recorded near any urban area, including Nagasaki. The Atomic Energy Commission then conducted its own off-site study, and that study confirmed plutonium contamination as far as thirty miles from the plant.

this is a company that still exists (theyve done many other hosed up things)

Relin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 11, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Relin posted:

this is what happens when you dont give the epa enough funding

they hire idiots

More likely they hired contractors for a fraction of the cost and they weren't trained at all.

gottabefrank
Sep 19, 2014

From the NYT article posted earlier:

quote:

In his first interview since the spill, the owner of the mine, Todd Hennis, said the spill was probably the fault of another mine company — the Sunnyside Gold Corporation — that had built retention walls inside an abandoned mine near the Gold King, part of an old cleanup agreement with the federal government. Once the Sunnyside mine filled with wastewater, the water probably spilled into the Gold King, and then into the Animas, Mr. Hennis said.

He urged Sunnyside’s parent company, the Kinross Gold Corporation, to clean up the mess. “They’ve got to step forward and be responsible,” he said of Kinross. A spokesman for Sunnyside, Larry Perino, said the company had no role in Gold King spill.

Who's really to blame?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dirt...
Cactus Juice...
Sunny D! All right!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

gottabefrank posted:

From the NYT article posted earlier:

Who's really to blame?

Both? I like the name sunny side tho

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
as a fisherman i feel like the way i imagine black people would feel if slavery just happened again

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

various cheeses posted:

matches her highlights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I hope no one in the government gets fired over this. It would be a tragedy if people in government got fired for being such a gently caress up at their job.

• Locked thread