Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
I know about martin luther king but I never learned about malcom x. From what I understand he was a muslim dude in the 60's who got shot by other black muslim dudes but why?

With all the furgeson stuff goin down I figured I should probably learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's like Magneto, but black instead of Jewish.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

yeah he's pretty much magneto that's all you really need to know

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Tom Gorman posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

he left the church of Islam so three members of the church of Islam killed him and thus Americans started to fear anything that says "Islam" in it

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

he left the church of Islam so three members of the church of Islam killed him and thus Americans started to fear anything that says "Islam" in it

We already said he was like Magneto though. That covers this. Like that time Magneto left the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants so Toad, The Blob, and Mystique killed him.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
~*Life is Unfair*~

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

he's the cooler, blacker mlk sorta

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015
At first he was a member of the nation of islam, then decided they were hosed up and a became a Sunni. Then Farrakhan had him killed.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

He's like Magneto, but black instead of Jewish.
Boom there it is. Close thread.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

We already said he was like Magneto though. That covers this. Like that time Magneto left the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants so Toad, The Blob, and Mystique killed him.
man i know jack poo poo about comic book series

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Read his autobiography. The movie was okay too.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HFwinVw4wQ

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
When I was a child I thought he was an Xman character and watched an entire movie about him not realizing that it wasn't Xmen related since it had to deal with treating people equally. I was a retarded child, and still am to this day.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
Im not a comic book fan so idg the magneto thing. This guy is complicated man how could he leave the church of islam for another islam? and then get shot for it wth

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
Martin Luther King came along and said "black people should have rights" and people ignored him

Then Malcolm X came along and said "kill all while people" and people were afraid of him

So people listened to Martin Luther King, like a good cop bad cop sort of thing.

Then the CIA killed them both

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
Ya people besides myself in the thread dont get the magneto comparison someone please clarify

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

symbolic posted:

yeah thats what caused that

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

TheJoker138 posted:

Maybe Magneto shouldn't have been so loving judgemental when Mystique wanted to use Brotherhood money to raise her two-dozen love children?

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015

Whiskey Sours posted:

Martin Luther King came along and said "black people should have rights" and people ignored him

Then Malcolm X came along and said "kill all while people" and people were afraid of him

So people listened to Martin Luther King, like a good cop bad cop sort of thing.

holy poo poo dang that cant be true but is it?

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
I guess the only thing I get is that he was more 'militant' than martin luther but why did the black guys kill him when he was all 'f the white guys'

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

gbaby posted:

Ya people besides myself in the thread dont get the magneto comparison someone please clarify

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2pOaNcbRlw

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah this basically says it all.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

gbaby posted:

I know about martin luther king but I never learned about malcom x. From what I understand he was a muslim dude in the 60's who got shot by other black muslim dudes but why?

He was all like "Kill whitey" but then he go to Islamland and be all like "hmm, maybe I dont want to kill whitey" and so then blackey kill him cuz he dont want to kill whitey.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Read his autobiography.

Best way to understand what he stood for and why is his own words.

I wonder if both Malcolm X and Martin Luther King were alive today, which one would be telling the other they were right. 50 years on, to a large extent the moderate path the Civil Rights Movement took has played out more how Malcolm X predicted than how MLK hoped.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

gbaby posted:

Malcolm X joined the Nation of Islam ("Black Muslims") in prison. Their whole deal was that they were going to organize black people worldwide and reverse the roles of racial domination through violence. To effectively replace white supremacy with black supremacy. They were a militant alternative (and forerunner) to MLK and the non-violent civil rights movement.

Malcolm X eventually became disillusioned with NoI theology and converted to "regular" Islam. Apparently this perceived betrayal led to his assassination by the NoI, but there are numerous conspiracy theories implication a number of groups and government agencies.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

gbaby posted:

I guess the only thing I get is that he was more 'militant' than martin luther but why did the black guys kill him when he was all 'f the white guys'

What I remember: There were a lot of reasons but one of them is that he made a crack about Kennedy's assassination right after it happened (essentially saying Kennedy got what he deserved) and all the other leaders of the Nation of Islam were super pissed off because talking poo poo about Kennedy at that moment was like talking poo poo about 9/11 on 9/12. Malcolm X had had a problem running his mouth off before then and the Nation leaders were already annoyed with him so they told him he couldn't speak in public anymore and they put him on some kind of probation. Malcolm X's response was 'gently caress that and gently caress you because none of you are 'true' muslims anyway', and so he left and there was a schism and in the end somebody shot him.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015

I watched this an besides magneto being white im still very confused

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
White people only understand fear. Malcom X played bad cop so MLK could be the good cop. The lack of a malcom x figure to scare white people is why civil rights have stagnated.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

gbaby posted:

I watched this an besides magneto being white im still very confused

I don't understand what you don't understand. It's all crystal clear.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he, and the black panthers were a central and important part of "the stick" to mlk's "carrot"

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
See, white people can't even process the concept of malcom x without viewing it through the lens of their stupid comic books; that's how much the reality of the social context scares them.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
random fact, the nation of islam is into dianetics now, they're basically scientologists

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp

Hobohemian posted:

See, white people can't even process the concept of malcom x without viewing it through the lens of their stupid comic books; that's how much the reality of the social context scares them.

he was a violent racist retard who got murdered by other violent racist retards because he wasnt a violent enough racist retard. Plus the magneto thing

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Whiskey Sours posted:

FBI***

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

because the truth is he was a racist and realized likely the moment he was shot that he had hosed up

he had begun to turn his life around and actually focus instead of being a puppet of Farrakhan and that cost him everything.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he was a loud and angry mutantblack supremacist and he scared the poo poo out of humanswhites

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp
I call him a retard because the big epiphany in his life that took him decades to come to was realizing murdering people because of the color of their skin might not be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

gbaby posted:

One part of the whole Malcolm X story that's relevant to what's happening now is related to a hosed up LAPD raid in the early 1960s where cops ended up opening fire outside a mosque and killing a prominent NoI member. Malcolm X was understandably pissed off about this and basically wanted to start a gang war against all cops, but the other NoI leaders were like 'no it's no big deal, I'm sure this is just a one time thing.'

And the NoI leaders were right and no white cops have ever shot a black man in cold blood again :)

There's more info in the Malcolm X biography, but here's a handy snippit if you wanna read a story that could be from any youtube video of american cops today.

Malcolm X posted:

...Just after midnight on April 27, 1962, when two officers observed what looked to them like men taking clothes out of the back of a car outside the mosque, they approached with suspicion. What happened next is a matter of dispute, yet whether the police were jumped, as they claimed, or the Muslim men were shoved and beaten without provocation, as seems likely, the commotion brought a stream of angry Muslims out of the mosque. The police threatened to respond with deadly force, but when one officer attempted to intimidate the growing crowd of bystanders, he was disarmed by the crowd. Somehow one officer’s revolver went off, shooting and wounding his partner in the elbow. Backup squad cars soon arrived ferrying more than seventy officers, and a full-scale battle ensued. Within minutes dozens of cops raided the mosque itself, randomly beating NOI members. It took fifteen minutes for the fighting to die down. In the end, seven Muslims were shot, including NOI member William X Rogers, who was shot in the back and paralyzed for life. NOI officer Ronald Stokes, a Korean War veteran, had attempted to surrender to the police by raising his hands over his head. Police responded by shooting him from the rear; a bullet pierced his heart, killing him. A coroner’s inquest determined that Stokes’s death was “justifiable.” A number of Muslims were indicted.

• Locked thread