Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Dragonmarked for Death

Moreso than generals and their armies, moreso than nobles and their kingdoms, the twelve Dragonmarked Houses hold both the present and the future of the land of Khorvaire in their hands. But when scions of the Dragonmarked Houses in Sharn begin dying under mysterious circumstances, those who bear evidence of that power and influence in their flesh rightly begin to fear what their promnient stature and unfettered quest for power may have wrought.

The Game

It’s Eberron: diplomacy, intrigue, and investigation feature prominently alongside episodes of hack’n’slash, seasoned with a good old fashioned dungeon crawl or two. If you’re a fan of 5E (experienced or not) and want to try your hand at D&D in a high-magic setting (complete with elemental-powered airships and railroads), but you’re not particularly familiar with Eberron itself, there’s plenty of information online. Also feel free to ask for some help in the thread; I'm sure plenty of spergy know-it-alls considerate, detail-oriented Goons such as myself would be happy to get you up to speed on the most important aspects of the setting and/or the game mechanics.

A special shout-out to Look Around You for not picking me for his Eberron game (Shattered Sunrise), thus leaving me with both the time and the motivation to start up a game of my own.

Character Creation/House Rules

* Characters start at 1st level and will progress rapidly up to 5th level or so (the extent to which I have the campaign planned currently). You may want to reference the Eberron Supplement for 5E, though see below for important changes.

* Any race from the PHB or the Eberron Supplement is acceptable. If you want to play a nonstandard race (e.g., Hobgoblin), just re-skin an existing race (e.g., Half-Orc) and propose a few tweaks (e.g., bonuses to Constitution instead of Strength).

* Any class (including the Eberron-specific classes) is acceptable. My opinion on the 5E changes to Artificer relative to earlier Editions mirrors one that is eloquently argued elsewhere: “Rather than using magic in a different form (infusions), channeled through weapons, the Artificer is now a full Wizard spellcaster. This is bullshit.”
So, if you want to play an Artificer but don’t want to completely change the fluff of the class (and suck mechanically, to add insult to injury), this Homebrew version gets my seal of approval:
Eberron Artificer for 5E
I’m certainly willing to entertain other ways to handle the Artificer mechanically (including simply reskinning classes like warlock or cleric, as others have proposed); whichever version is chosen, I’m also happy to do a bit of “playtesting” and modify bits that aren’t working on the fly.
I haven’t thought about Psionics nearly as much as I have about Artificers, but if Psylocke a Soulknife or an awakened mystic is your cup of tea, I’m sure we could work something out.

* Standard point buy for abilities (cf. 5E PHB pg. 13). Keep in mind that Charisma is the relevant attribute for utilizing Dragonmarks.

* Action/Hero Points? Yes. Edit: Since I want to bump up the importance of Dragonmarks a little bit, AP/HP can be used to power additional uses of Mark abilities (normally each spell-like effect can be used once per long rest).

* The 1% of the 1%: You are a member of one of the twelve Dragonmarked Houses — and not just any member, but one of the few that have manifested a portion of the Draconic Prophecy in their flesh. Your Dragonmark sets you aside as one destined to accomplish great deeds, whether for the benefit of yourself, your Family, or even the greater populace of Khorvaire remains to be seen. (To give a sense of proportion, out of the 20 million or so civilized beings on the entire continent of Khorvaire there are roughly as many Dragonmarked heirs -- 500 or so -- in each of the Twelve Houses as their are members of the US Congress.)

Mechanically speaking, every character gets a starting Bonus Feat: Least Dragonmark (refer again to the Eberron Supplement for 5E). It’s nearly identical to the Magic Initiate feat, so if you want to swap out a different spell for one of those listed for your House Mark, I am open to being convinced. I’m leaning toward giving Bonus Feats at 4th and 8th Level for bumping the Dragonmarks to Lesser and Greater, respectively, but I haven’t decided for sure yet At present, I'm going to go with the standard advancement of Marks as presented in the Eberron Supplement (Least --> Lesser at 5th Level --> Greater at 9th Level).

If you have a kickass charater but you really don’t want a Dragonmark, we can discuss other options for what to do with your Bonus feat -- there could be room for a non-Dragonmarked character in the campaign, but it would have to be pretty compelling to me to warrant inclusion. Similarly, I'd be willing to consider a Dragonmarked character from a race that traditionally doesn't have Marks, as long as it makes sense for them to be part of the corresponding House. On the other hand, Aberrant Dragonmarked characters need not apply.

* Any Background is acceptable; feel free to tack on “…of House X” (e.g., “Guild Artisan of House Cannith”, “Outlander of House Tharashk”) as part of your background. This effectively means you get the “Position of Privilege” Feature from the Noble Background for free. If you specifically want the Noble Background, then your standard Feature will be even more prominent, or you can have both the standard Feature and the variant.

* Don’t worry about money. As a scion of a Dragonmarked House, you can equip your character with more or less any mundane items you want. Just bear in mind that one of my DMing pet peeves is players who try to min/max their character all to hell rather than focus on what makes a character fun to roleplay. Outfitting a Deneith Bodyguard with splint mail or other armor beyond what a normal 1st level character could afford is not unreasonable, but an ink-stained scribe working for House Sivis with six of each weapon and full plate armor is almost certainly not going to get picked, purely based on what such a character tells me about you as a player.

In addition to whatever mundane items you wish to possess, choose one minor magical(-ish) item that is relevant to the role that you play in your House. I’m looking for something with a potentially useful but narrowly-proscribed situational effect — a one-shot token of Feather Fall would be appropriate for a scion of Lyrandar serving as assistant helmsman on an airship, for example, while a glamerweave garment (granting +1 to Diplomacy) would be appropriate for someone who serves their House as a courtier. If you're at a loss as to what might be appropriate, start with whichever Trinket (PHB 159) is most interesting to you, and add a low-level spell effect or a Minor Property (DMG 143). If you are from one of the martially-inclined Houses (e.g., Deneith, Tharashk), adding a Minor Property to your favorite weapon or armor is also reasonable.

* Somewhere in your app (as straight-up responses, as part of a brief fictional introduction, or whatever), answer a few additional questions for me:
1) So just what is your role within your House? “To spend the Kundarak family’s hard-earned gold in dissolute living” is a perfectly acceptable answer, as is “to prove myself worthy to inherit my father’s position as Deneith Sentinel.”
2) Are you a native of Sharn? If not, what might cause you to travel to the City of Towers? Are you on House business, or personal? (Note that the aforementioned suspicious deaths will happen in-game so “hunting down the assassin killing Dragonmarked heirs” is not A Thing yet — though a Tharask bounty hunter could certainly have other quarry he or she is pursuing).
3) What is one secret that you know that could get you into trouble? It might be knowledge of a past indiscretion of a member of your House or dirt on a corrupt government or church official; alternately, it could be something about yourself that you dread coming to light.

These questions are, in part, where you get to express some of your ideas about the game's overall story arc and/or specific plot details.

Deadline for character submission is 11:59 PM on Sunday, August 23 Monday, August 24
(i.e., I'll select characters sometime on Monday the 24th Tuesday the 25th, with the game thread to follow shortly thereafter.)

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
-- Reserved --

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Are you changing it so that all the dragonmarks key off of charisma? Cause some of them in the PDF key off of int or wis instead.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A couple questions and statements:

What is your opinion on the Weaboo Fighter?

Are you going to have an irc channel for this game?

Not so much a question as a statement but it doesn't look like the advanced forms of the Dragonmarks require more feats, it looks like it automatically levels up as you do.

Another not quite question is I think only some races get Dragonmarks, so what happens if you pick one of the others? Pretty sure all of the Eberron races in the Unearthed Arcana Eberron can't take Dragonmarks.

Also on Dragonmarks, it looks like only 2 of them use Charisma, as they seem to each list a stat that they use.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

Also on Dragonmarks, it looks like only 2 of them use Charisma, as they seem to each list a stat that they use.

Not so much a question as a statement but it doesn't look like the advanced forms of the Dragonmarks require more feats, it looks like it automatically levels up as you do.

Yeah, my bad, Charisma is not the only stat relevant for Dragonmarks; I've fixed this above. Similarly, I agree that as written, the Dragonmarks advance automatically -- I think what I'm still trying to decide, though, is whether that should happen at level 4 (where the Feat happens) or Level 5 (as the UA PDF states). I'm sure I'll decide by the time it becomes relevant that seems reasonable to me, and it has the bonus effect of avoiding any messiness associated with adjudicating more Bonus Feats.

quote:

Are you going to have an irc channel for this game?

I don't have a dedicated IRC channel as of yet, but I'm presently hanging out in several (#acolyte, #ohgod, #scorpionemperor, & #swampthings, to name a few). That said, I don't want to take over channels generally used for other purposes, so if the discussion for this thread gets too heavy, I'll certainly create my own.

quote:

Another not quite question is I think only some races get Dragonmarks, so what happens if you pick one of the others? Pretty sure all of the Eberron races in the Unearthed Arcana Eberron can't take Dragonmarks.

Dragonmarks are restricted to the respective races for each House; if you want to play a non-Marked race, then you wouldn't have a Mark.
Edit: As a general rule, Dragonmarks are restricted to the respective races for each House; if you want to play a (normally) non-Marked race that does possess a Mark, we can discuss it -- a hobgoblin Marked member of House Tharashk is probably OK, but a hobgoblin member of House Kundarak probably isn't.
Also keep in mind that you can be affiliated with a House without being a Marked member of that House (so, keep the Background but put the Bonus Feat to different use). I imagine House Thuranni have some changelings in their service, for example.

As long as most of the PCs are Dragonmarked, having one or two who are not would still keep the flavor of the game that I have in mind.

quote:

What is your opinion on the Weaboo Fighter?

In terms of roleplaying, I'm sure that, in skilled hands, even a Weeaboo fighter could be played in a way that is both consistent with the setting and fun for all involved, though I'm not really going for over-the-top anime here. I applaud the notion of making fighters that don't suck relative to everyone else, but mechanically speaking, always inflicting 1d10/2d6 and having significantly higher AC without the constraints of armor is just way too overpowered. Similarly, having access to so many different Adventurer Powers (some of which seem to be significantly better than any feat), as well as all the higher-level shenanigans would almost certainly lead to game breakage. So unless I hear a compelling argument to the contrary, I'm going to say no to the Weeaboo.

Thanks for the questions; they help clear up some things that might have been obvious in my head but not so much in the post.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 12, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Just out of curiosity: would you be open to the Death Cleric, from the DMG? It's presented as an Evil option, but nothing in there is really inherently Evil, from what I can see.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
Oooh, this seems like it might be fun. Court intrigue is a favorite of mine. Let's see if I can make an interesting character.

What exactly is meant by 'Standard Point-buy'? How many points do we start with?

Brewsuke fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 11, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Quorum posted:

Just out of curiosity: would you be open to the Death Cleric, from the DMG? It's presented as an Evil option, but nothing in there is really inherently Evil, from what I can see.

Pardon me, but do you have a moment to hear about the Blood of Vol?

Sure, the head of the church is an immortal lich served by a coterie of vampires and hordes of undead, but that doesn't mean the entire religion is, you know, evil. Actually, it's part of Eberron canon that a lot of good people don't know about the shenanigans of the higher-ups, but just view the faith as a way to better themselves and to actualize the potential of the Divinity within themselves. It could be fun to have a PC enmeshed in those intrigues, and far less messy than trying to shoehorn a devotee of one of the Dark Six (or a Druid of the Children of Winter sect) into a socially-acceptable role.

Alternatively, if you wanted to be an Elf who reveres the Undying Court, their not-undead ancestors, such a character could potentially have access to Death domain spells (or at least similar powers).

That said, even if a Death Cleric is not evil, it's probably frowned upon to bring up the finer points of their theology in polite company (outside of Karrnath or Aerenal, at least).

Brewsuke posted:

What exactly is meant by 'Standard Point-buy'? How many points do we start with?

Ability scores start at 8 and you have a further 27 points to distribute among them (though there's not a 1-to-1 correspondence between increasing a score and spending points) -- see pg. 13 of the 5E PHB for details.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Another issue that was brought to my attention: there is some variation in the House/Race pairings between different sourcebooks. Ill be going by the 3.5E Dragonmarked supplement (which trumps the more restrictive 5E Eberron Supplement).
The standard House/Race pairings are:
Cannith: Human
Deneith: Human
Ghallanda: Halfling
Jorasco: Halfling
Kundarak: Dwarf
Lyrandar: Half-Elf
Medani: Elf, Half-Elf, Human
Orien: Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Human
Phiarlan: Elf
Sivis: Gnome
Tharashk: Half-Orc, Human, Orc , (Most non-standard "monster" races)
Thuranni: Elf
Vadalis: Human

I know this slightly-less restrictive list still has the potential to hamper creativity, so if you really want something different from this, we can discuss it. On the other hand, if you want one of these standard pairings then there are no problems.

Also, I'll be sure to collect any and all further clarifications/tweaks/houserules wherever they appear in the thread and put them in the second post reserved for this purpose.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ignore the cat-thing. I'll probably pick up find familiar with one of my invocations, but for now, I can't access it.
Reava, Half-Elf Warlock, Guild Artisan of House Medani

"The life of a counter-spy isn't easy. Every word someone says needs to be analyzed and cataloged, while making sure they don't know you're doing it. It requires a sharp tongue, sharper ears, and a fast quill hand. Officially, my job is a stenographer for various meetings between officials of Medani and various other people. In actuality, my job is to not only write down whatever is said, but also to note hidden meanings, record facial reactions, and jot down various inflections, anything that could reveal a deeper meaning behind those words. While that may seem simple, people in my line of work tend to end up disappearing if we're not careful."

"Because of this, I've also had to make various deals to have the power to survive any attempts on my life that might come up. I came across several beings happy to have a foothold in a House, especially one as secretive as Medani. Ultimately I went with a deal with one of the Dragons. Of all the options, it felt like the one that would likely least compromise the house, as I doubt the Dragon I made a deal with will share the information I give with him. Once he starts asking for tasks, things might get a bit more difficult, but that's a bridge I'll burn when I come to it."

"I was born into the House to my human mother and elven father. When I manifested my Mark, I got put on the fast track to be trained for the Warning Guild. I'm not a native of Sharn, although I was born in Breland. As a child, the walls of Wroat were all I knew. Once, my training was completed, I was transferred to Sharn to do my work in a place with more people."

"Finding out people's secrets is my whole job. And what good is a secret if it's not worth being killed over? But I think my favorite secret is that we actually do have a spy inside our network from outside of it. It took a bit of digging but I learned that one of our counter-spies, Carric, is actually a member of House Phiarlan. I decided to take some steps to make sure that instead of having him found, he just was on less important jobs or outwork fabrications, such that he is feeding wrong information back to his House. Technically, I'm supposed to just report him and let him get captured, but my direct superior gave me permission to string him along while he smooths things over and makes sure Carric never discovers anything important, with the caveat that if it got found out, he had nothing to do with it."

pre:
Class: Warlock

HP: 9
AC: 12
AP: 5
Init: +0
Prof Bonus: +2

Alignment: True Neutral
Patron: Great Old One
Background: Guild Artisan
Languages: Elven, Common, Halfling
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft

Features:
Awakened Mind
Least Dragonmark: Mark of Detection
Darksight 60ft
Fey Ancestry

Strength: 8 (-1)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Dexterity: 10 (0)
Intelligence: 14 (+2) (Racial +1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3) (Racial +1) (Prof)
Charisma: 16 (+3) (Racial +2) (Prof)

Personality:
Traits: There's nothing wrong with having pride in your work, especially when you put your all into it.
Ideal: I have fully devoted myself to House Medani. While it thrives, I do as well. When it suffers, I suffer.
Bond: While to outsiders, we appear distant and emotionless, in the Warning Guild, there's a nice camaraderie among those of us tasked with ferreting out secrets.
Flaw: I'm a bit of a control freak, I suppose. Whenever something slips out of my control, I try to get it back in my hands as soon as possible.
Proficiencies:
Simple Weapons, Light Armor, Calligrapher's Tools, Persuasion,
Insight, Investigation, Deception, Arcana, Perception

Equipment:
Spellcasting Focus
Studded Leather Armor
A Dagger
A Scholar's Pack
Calligrapher's Tools
Favored Quill Pen (+1 to Investigation)

Spells
Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand

Level 1:
Hex
Illusory Script

Dragonmark:
Detect Magic
Augment: Mage Hand
That should be everything. Tell me if I hosed something up. I'm not that familiar with 5e or Eberron, even though I enjoy Eberron a bunch as a setting. Also why does the warlock gear want to hand me like 20 daggers?

djw175 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 14, 2015

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
You can never have too many daggers. But I think the starting gear the book wants to hand you is two daggers and a crossbow with 20 crossbow bolts, which are consumed when you use them.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
I wanted to do a Warlock, too, but I'm honestly not sure if I'd be able to do them justice. I had an idea for an Elf of House Thuranni or Phiarlan, an actor or musician whose Archfey patron teasingly communicates with them through coded love letters.

Actually, they might be an assassin, or something, and their patron is also their house's biggest patron of assassinations (in which case I'd go Thuranni). Of course, Archfey aren't known for their tendency to pay in actual money, which is a bit of a problem.

My biggest problem is probably the fact that I can come up with ideas all day but I can't write my way out of a wet cardboard box.

Regardless, I guess I'll try making the character, and accept criticism with my concept.

Brewsuke fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 12, 2015

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Gonna roll up a Half-Elf storm sorcerer when I get home.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Part-elf supremacy!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I know next to nothing about Eberron, but I've been reading up on the wiki this afternoon and will probably roll up a character in the next couple of days, since I've been looking to try out 5e. Have a few ideas bouncing around in my head but it seems like half-elf is gonna be a popular one with everyone else, so maybe I'll avoid that.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Lieutenant Celio d'Lyrandar, Khoravar Rogue, Airship Sailor of House Lyrandar

quote:

The journal of the fabulous Celio d'Lyrandar, day whatever it is, I'll write it in later, wouldn't want to look absentminded when scholars are studying my memoirs in a hundred years:

The city of Sharn is astonishing, a hive of interlaced spires towering high into the air. The view is even better from the air, of course, and when Lyran's Breath came in a few days ago I got the chance to stand at the prow and watch as we nosed in toward the House's private mooring tower. The perks of rank. Poor baby, the Breath is so old she's practically decrepit, so she's been reduced to a skeleton crew while we await a few repair parts from Stormhome. Captain Mezzaro's staying aboard, of course; he's the very soul of duty, and Lieutenant Atara and I played dice for the chance to get shore leave. I won, of course, and I didn't even have to cheat this time. I have to remember I promised to pick her up something nice from the markets to make up for it.

Who cares about all of that, though: for the next few weeks, I'm at liberty in Sharn, and from what I've heard, their gambling dens, taverns, and brothels are some of the best in the world. I've got more money than I know what to do with, and more nights to spend it in than I could ever use.

Taking this assignment as Ship's Mate on the Breath was the best thing I could have done. To be honest, Stormhome was getting a little stifling, and at any rate, I've always wanted to see the world. Especially the parts of the world with actual civilization and pretty men and women. I'm almost starting to think following in His Lord Admiral Fathership's footsteps wouldn't be a bad idea. I wouldn't want his stuffy desk job, of course, but I can see the appeal of captaining my own airship. If I keep doing an excellent job for Captain Mezzaro, he's bound to put in a good word for me.

Is that music? It sounds like music. All the taverns in this part of town are starchy and upper-class, but I guess I can start there and work my way down. Wish me luck.

--Celio d'Lyrandar

quote:

Memo:

If that Lyrandar dandy gets brought in for public intoxication one more time, throw him in the cells, and be damned who his family is. I'll deal with the smarmy cloud-peddlers myself.

--the Captain of the Guard

quote:

Son:

I have heard that you have been... enjoying yourself in Sharn. Better there than here, I suppose, and I sincerely hope you get it out of your system now. You have bigger responsibilities, and you had best start to live up to them soon. I will not stand for you ending up a useless ingrate, spending my money to maintain a frivolous lifestyle while contributing nothing to the House.

Incidentally, I am enclosing a report for the administrator of the Sharn chapter of Lyran's Gift. It is quite secret, so I would appreciate if you did not speak openly about it. The research they do is clandestine in nature, involving sentient subjects, and some would find it less than palatable. However, it could be the key to expanding our monopoly over transportation and putting Orien in its place. You will find the facility in the Lower City. I understand the location makes it easier to obtain subjects.

I am dispatching this letter with the first batch of repair supplies for the Lyran's Breath. Please give my regards to Captain Mezzaro.

Yours,
Admiral Fellor d'Lyrandar

Celio was designed by fate to be the family's golden boy: attractive, athletic, destined for success. He has spent most of his life trying desperately, and with some success, to fight this fate.

His younger days were pretty archetypical: demanding father, dull schooling, exciting nights out with the Wrong Sort of Friends, dalliances with the Wrong Sort of Woman, and on more than one occasion, the Wrong Sort of Man. A distinct air of scandal began to grow up around the dashing and undeniably handsome young man, until his father, quite sick of it all, got him assigned as a lieutenant on a complete junk-heap of an airship: the Lyran's Breath, designated as a sort of dumping-ground for Lyrandar's misfits.

Oddly enough, this has proven a good career move for Celio. Shipboard discipline is good for him, and he gets to see the world, especially the excitingly seedy bits of it. He's avoided having sex with ANY of his crewmates, including the lovely but intimidating Lieutenant Atara and the extremely sultry Midshipman Lewes, whom he's quite certain is asking for it. This, given his history, is quite a big step up. As long as he doesn't screw it up in Sharn. Which he probably will.

pre:
Class: Rogue
Level: 2
XP: 550

HP: 17
AC: 15
AP: 4/5
Init: +4
Proficiency: +2 (Expertise +4)

Alignment: Neutral
Background: (Sky) Sailor
Languages: Common, Elven, Thieves' Cant, Dwarven

STR:  8 (-1)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 16 (+3)

Personality:
Traits: I try to make sure I do everything with style. It's just a bonus if it happens to be fun.
Ideals: I work hard and play hard. When I'm on the job, I do it right, but that doesn't stop me from seeing what the world has to offer.
Bonds: My father thinks I'm a disappointment, and despite everything, I can't help wanting to prove him wrong.
Flaws: Just because I'm rich doesn't mean I'm a cocky playboy. I'm a cocky playboy because I want to be, drat it.

Features:
Fey Ancestry
  - Immunity to sleep effects, advantage vs. charm effects
Darkvision 60ft
Sneak Attack: +1d6
(Air)Ship's Passage
Expertise: Persuasion, Stealth
Least Dragonmark: Mark of Storm
Position of Privilege
Cunning Action
  - Can Dash, Disengage, or Hide as Bonus Action

Proficiencies:
Simple weapons, hand crossbow, longsword, rapier, shortsword
Light armor
Thieves' tools, Navigator's tools, Airships
Acrobatics (+5), Athletics (+1), Deception (+5), Investigation (+3),  
Perception (+2), Performance (+5), *Persuasion (+7), *Stealth (+7)

Equipment:
Studded leather armor (12+3 AC)
Rapier
Hand Crossbow
3x throwing dagger
Outfit of fine noble clothing
Diplomat's pack
Spyglass
Shoalsense Earring
  - Wrought by the artificers of Lyran's Eye, this earring tingles to alert the wearer of danger
  he is only subconsciously aware of, augmenting his reaction time. +1 Initiative.

Spells:
Fog Cloud (1/day): Create a sphere of fog that grants concealment
Feather Fall (1/day): Fall slowly.
Note that I've swapped out Shocking Grasp for Feather Fall in the Mark of Storms, keeping within the air-lightning-cloud theme of the Mark. (But since Shocking Grasp is a cantrip and Feather Fall is level 1, this version of Feather Fall applies only to the caster, making it a one-shot magic parachute for the upper-class snobs of the world.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 20, 2015

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

TychoBrahesNose posted:

In terms of roleplaying, I'm sure that, in skilled hands, even a Weeaboo fighter could be played in a way that is both consistent with the setting and fun for all involved, though I'm not really going for over-the-top anime here. I applaud the notion of making fighters that don't suck relative to everyone else, but mechanically speaking, always inflicting 1d10/2d6 and having significantly higher AC without the constraints of armor is just way too overpowered. Similarly, having access to so many different Adventurer Powers (some of which seem to be significantly better than any feat), as well as all the higher-level shenanigans would almost certainly lead to game breakage. So unless I hear a compelling argument to the contrary, I'm going to say no to the Weeaboo.

Wow, was going to apply for this game, so absolutely bizarre to see someone want to play as a half-formed idea I'd written down. Super cool!

If you want to use a fighter though, second attempt is much more balanced: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_cZeEmIfkN0HqIYumxXzQELptg5pwA5S5TQaKYbCDH0/edit

There are some math fixes and quality of life improvements, but the main gimmick is that the fighter is treated like a bard with full casting levels. In exchange for having good armor and extra attacks, their spell selection is limited to only things that could be accomplished without magic and they don't have as many support or utility abilities. Some things at the higher levels might seem silly, but remember that critical hits in 5e typically add 2d6 extra damage at the high end, warlocks get 4 attacks at 17th level with extra riders, and the druid is an infinite sack of hitpoints.

In any case! Have too vague character concepts, will narrow it down to one and make an application later.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I actually liked the Weaboo Fighter, though it needed expansion beyond the lowest tier of powers. Although some of them were problematic, like infinite gold and some of the out of combat ones, or healing to full after each short rest.

It seems sad that to make a Fighter good it must be made a spellcaster.

That said I do like a lot of the stuff Quadratic_Wizard made in the Full Caster Fighter, and if TychoBrahesNose would be okay with that I will likely make one.

The other idea I have been toying around with is a Psychic Warrior, aka the Awakened Immortal from the Awakened Mystic Unearthed Arcana Playtest material. Only goes to level 5 but if the game is only going that far it doesn't matter that it doesn't have any further info or multiclassing rules.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

I actually liked the Weaboo Fighter, though it needed expansion beyond the lowest tier of powers. Although some of them were problematic, like infinite gold and some of the out of combat ones, or healing to full after each short rest.

It seems sad that to make a Fighter good it must be made a spellcaster.

That said I do like a lot of the stuff Quadratic_Wizard made in the Full Caster Fighter, and if TychoBrahesNose would be okay with that I will likely make one.

The other idea I have been toying around with is a Psychic Warrior, aka the Awakened Immortal from the Awakened Mystic Unearthed Arcana Playtest material. Only goes to level 5 but if the game is only going that far it doesn't matter that it doesn't have any further info or multiclassing rules.

I dunno, I still think the Full Caster Fighter seems overpowered to me. Specifically, I think some of the Archetpye abilities are gratuitously improved (Improved Critical increases the range to 17-20 instead of 19-20, Know your Enemy gives you specifics for all of the relevant attributes, Eldritch Knight gets more spells and can use Exploits to power their spells). And then there are the not-spells, to which my initial reaction is "If you want to cast spells, make a spellcaster." These seem like inherently magical (rather than mundane) abilities to me, so to me they just don't belong -- even if, mechanically speaking, they do give a fighter more of that coveted "versatility".

Based on the reading I've been doing on the Linear Fighter/Quadratic Wizard issue, the general consensus seems to be that the Fighter is actually OK in 5E, especially with the archetype abilities. Keep in mind also that a fighter in Eberron can have some (limited) spellcasting ability by virtue of his or her Dragonmark. So, since I've already expressed a willingness to do some "playtesting", I'd rather see a straight fighter that gets improved on the fly (if necessary) than a significantly more powerful version that already looks broken going in.

I'm also perfectly happy to have you try one of the Awakened Mystic options. The Immortal looks like it could tank pretty well, in fact. If we end up going beyond Level 5, we can certainly create some higher-level abilities for it.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

djw175 posted:

Reava, Half-Elf Warlock, Guild Artisan of House Medani

Reava looks good. Just one thing: can you add Personality Trait/Ideal/Bond/Flaw details?

I like the minorly-enchanted quill pen. I presume your skills come in particularly handy when your superiors don't want to have to share your House secrets with a Sivis gnome? Also, you technically get the use of Mage Hand from your Dragonmark, though since you know it as a cantrip as well, I think that's not particularly relevant. Rather than effectively losing one of your Mark abilities, maybe there is some way it augments your pact-based Mage Hand?

Finally, any thoughts as to the entity with which you've made your Pact? It may not matter directly in the game, but since this is Eberron, a Daelkyr is one disturbing option (whether you're aware of its nature or not), but in theory it could be a powerful Quori spirit, or even one of the Dragons (though those might be more appropriate for Fiendish or Fey pacts). If you don't care/want to leave the Great Old One unspecified for now, that's fine too.

Drone posted:

I know next to nothing about Eberron, but I've been reading up on the wiki this afternoon and will probably roll up a character in the next couple of days, since I've been looking to try out 5e. Have a few ideas bouncing around in my head but it seems like half-elf is gonna be a popular one with everyone else, so maybe I'll avoid that.

Don't worry about others' choice of race; if the characters I like best result in a party made up entirely of half-elves, so be it.

Brewsuke posted:

I wanted to do a Warlock, too, but I'm honestly not sure if I'd be able to do them justice. I had an idea for an Elf of House Thuranni or Phiarlan, an actor or musician whose Archfey patron teasingly communicates with them through coded love letters.

Actually, they might be an assassin, or something, and their patron is also their house's biggest patron of assassinations (in which case I'd go Thuranni). Of course, Archfey aren't known for their tendency to pay in actual money, which is a bit of a problem.

I like this idea and would gladly hear more about an Elf murder-artisan who is being strung along by coy-yet-suggestive missives from an inhabitant of the Faerie Court of Thelanis. As far as the Thuranni are concerned, I'm sure they would consider doing jobs for such a patron in exchange for non-monetary recompense -- the Feyspires are home to some pretty powerful magic, after all. And since the Feyspires occasionally cross over, there might even be the opportunity to visit one in person!

Quorum posted:

Lieutenant Celio d'Lyrandar, Khoravar Rogue, Airship Sailor of House Lyrandar

Celio looks good too; being chock full of smarm (if not charm) will likely serve him well. The Shoalsense Earring is perfectly suited for him, and is exactly the sort of minor magical doohickey I had in mind. However, +2 to Initiative is just a bit too powerful; please make it +1 instead.
A couple further requests: can you also add Personality Trait/Ideal/Bond/Flaw details? They may be dead obvious from what you've written, but having them listed on the character sheet makes it easier for me. Also, check your ability scores: if I'm doing my math right, 15,14,13,12,10,8 for a half-elf should go to something like 16, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8.

Incidentally, have you read OKShark's Eberron fanfiction? I'm working my way through it right now, and I quite like it -- the swashbuckler seems like it could provide some inspiration for you, even if he's not the main character.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 13, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kalud d'Torrn, Wilderness Guide of House Tharashk

11 Therendor - en route to Glumtown

Rainy. Big surprise. Into the fourth day of a trip that should have only lasted two. The rain is usually nice, but the persistent damp is doing little to improve my mood. My ward, some mid-ranking merchant running a cartload of supplies through Glumtown toward Lantern Tower, will not. Stop. Talking. He's with two of his travelling companions -- well-armed, look to be some kind of caravan guards, though novices by the way they hold their weapons and wear their armor uncomfortably. He talks to them constantly, babbling on and on about who knows what, it doesn't matter, he just abhors silence. I've made it clear to him that his voice is carrying, and that this part of the Shadow March is a delicate ecosystem not to be disturbed. He take this as an affront, as he is the paying customer. Had I known about his eccentricity before we left Zarash'ak, I would have refused, but that would be a black mark on the reputation of House Tharashk, and we can't have that, can we?

I didn't want this. I didn't ever want anything to do with the great houses. I would have been perfectly content out here, in the murk, living among nature. But that was not to be! That bloody mark had to go and manifest itself on my back, and in no time flat after that wandering musician caught sight of it, I found myself "welcomed" into the bosom of House Tharashk. My new "family." As if I needed a new one to begin with -- the swamp is my family, its native life my kin.

*scribbled notes written hastily in a different ink than previous* Merchant's blabbering brought the wildlife down on us. Can't say I was sad to see him go.

-----------------------------------------

8 Barrakas - en route to Sharn

That merchant had powerful friends. And to think someone that annoying is capable of having friends? Not long after I returned to Zarash'ak to report back to the House, the higher-ups came to my camp to tell me I had one more chance to make things right. I had another pathfinding job, yet another merchant caravan. This one much larger and better-protected, but still clueless. They won't tell me what they're transporting, just that they don't want to use the lightning rail or an airship, and discretion is apparently of the utmost importance to them and their mysterious cargo -- how great it must feel to have my work relegated to third place behind those unnatural monstrosities? Whatever, they're paying the House well, and it's a long journey through country I've never been through. I'm looking forward to learning about the flora and fauna of Breland as we pass through -- just as long as my company can leave me to my own devices this time!

quote:

Class: Druid
Race: Half-Orc
Personality Traits: I'm quiet and reserved, and all about business. Words only disrupt the blissful symphony of the wild and distract from the task at hand. Unfortunately, the manifestation of the dragonmark makes quiet solitude practically impossible anymore.
Ideals: The most important thing is to live as part of this world without imposing yourself over it as its master. Understand your place in the circle of life, and abhor that which seeks to defile life's delicate balance.
Bonds: Second only to respect for nature is my commitment to duty. I take my job as guide very seriously, and have no patience for those who disrespect my work or my environment. I have a deep-seated distrust and dislike of the lightning rail, both for its destruction of the landscape and for its cheapening of the travel experience.
Flaws: The dragonmark would be considered a blessing for many -- for me it's a curse. I'm not well-adapted to a life surrounded by other people, and unfortunately the dragonmark makes my original dream of a life of natural solitude impossible. Around others, I'm usually aloof and laconic.

HP: 10
AC: 12
Prof Bonus: +2

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Outlander (Guide)
Languages: Goblin, Common, Druidic, Elven

Features:
Darkvision 60 ft.
Menacing
Relentless Endurance
Savage Attacks
Least Dragonmark: Mark of Finding
Wanderer

Strength: 12 (+1)
Dexterity: 10 (+0)
Constitution: 14 (+2)
Intelligence: 15 (+2)
Wisdom: 15 (+2)
Charisma: 8 (-1)

Proficiencies:
Light/Medium Armor, Shields, Druid Weapons, Musical Instrument (Drum),
Herbalism Kit, Athletics, Animal Handling, Intimidation, Nature, Survival

Equipment:
Druidic Focus
Hide Armor
Quarterstaff
Explorer's Pack
Herbalism Kit
Sheepskin Drum
-A small drum, intricately hand-carved and stretched taut with a stained sheepskin.
-When played, has a soothing, hypnotic effect on most beasts. +1 to Animal Handling.

Spells
Cantrips:
Druidcraft
Produce Flame

Level 1:
Cure Wounds
Thunderwave

Dragonmark:
Identify
Mage Hand

Hopefully I didn't mangle Eberron too badly. :v:

Edit: updated to include language change. The character sheet linked on my name above isn't yet updated, I'll have this done tonight.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 27, 2015

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

TychoBrahesNose posted:

I dunno, I still think the Full Caster Fighter seems overpowered to me. Specifically, I think some of the Archetpye abilities are gratuitously improved (Improved Critical increases the range to 17-20 instead of 19-20, Know your Enemy gives you specifics for all of the relevant attributes, Eldritch Knight gets more spells and can use Exploits to power their spells). And then there are the not-spells, to which my initial reaction is "If you want to cast spells, make a spellcaster." These seem like inherently magical (rather than mundane) abilities to me, so to me they just don't belong -- even if, mechanically speaking, they do give a fighter more of that coveted "versatility".

Based on the reading I've been doing on the Linear Fighter/Quadratic Wizard issue, the general consensus seems to be that the Fighter is actually OK in 5E, especially with the archetype abilities. Keep in mind also that a fighter in Eberron can have some (limited) spellcasting ability by virtue of his or her Dragonmark. So, since I've already expressed a willingness to do some "playtesting", I'd rather see a straight fighter that gets improved on the fly (if necessary) than a significantly more powerful version that already looks broken going in.

I'm also perfectly happy to have you try one of the Awakened Mystic options. The Immortal looks like it could tank pretty well, in fact. If we end up going beyond Level 5, we can certainly create some higher-level abilities for it.

Thanks for giving both a look-through, it's always nice to hear feedback. Some of the features might seem a bit strong at first blush, but they don't work out that way in actual play. For instance, the 17-20 crit range would be really strong in 3e or 4e, but in 5e, critical hits only double the damage dice you roll, rather than multiplying all damage by x2-4 like in 3e, or maximizing damage and rolling extra dice on top of it like in 4e. When a Champion first gets the improved critical hit, if their attacks were dealing 8.6 on average (assuming we can hit on a 7 and deal 2d6+4 damage with the Great Weapon fighting style) then the extra damage we get from Improved Critical is 8.8. That might seem low because you literally get twice as many critical hits, but remember that if you roll a 1-18, you hit or miss normally, and if you roll a 20, you get to crit anyways. It's only on a roll of 19 that the feature comes into play. Meanwhile, the Battlemaster get 4 superiority die that add 1d8 extra damage that can be guaranteed by triggering it on a hit, along with a host of effects like frightening or tripping the enemy. Looking at just the extra damage alone, a Champion needs to make 90 attacks before they can break even with the Battlemaster--and that's without any Short Rests for the Battlemaster to recover all of their dice. The extra crit range of 17-20 increases the average damage of an attack from 8.6 to 9.2. At this point, it still takes a Champion 30 attacks to catch up with the Battlemaster, but things will start to smooth out a bit as extra attacks come into play.

As for know your enemy, I agree that it's pretty bad, but mostly because of the tedium of the fighter being able to demand those numbers, not how actually useful those numbers are.I did reword it a bit to streamline things a bit. As for the original version, Solid Jake summed it uphere.

I went ahead and lowered the number of spells known to be 1 lower than what a Lore Bard knows, though it's important to remember that a Bard can choose their extra spells from any spellcasting class, snagging discounted spells like the Ranger's Hunter's Mark or the Paladin's Smites, while the Eldritch Knight is limited to the wizard list only.

When you say that a fighter being able to emulate spells through skills or strength is inherently magical, not sure what exactly you mean. In the narrative, an arrow can do the same amount of damage as a scorching ray, though one is clearly magical and the other is not. In the same way, one could conjure up an illusionary disguise while another dons it within seconds, ala Lupin the III. A wizard can increase their speed by casting a Longstrider spell, while a fighter is digging deep into their reserves to simply run faster. For what spells I did fill out, I made sure to only pick those that could be done mundanely. Nothing like Floating Disk or Silent Image or Sleep or Unseen Servant, simply effects that emulate strength and skill and could have completely nonmagical origins.

Anyways! Thanks again for the read through. The class is definitely powerful, probably at the level of the wizard or cleric, and it doesn't need to be in a game, especially alongside the standard classes like rogues and fighters, and as you said, it's much easier to balance something in play. More importantly, what really matters is simply that a player enjoys their character and is satisfied with what it can do.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Celio looks good too; being chock full of smarm (if not charm) will likely serve him well. The Shoalsense Earring is perfectly suited for him, and is exactly the sort of minor magical doohickey I had in mind. However, +2 to Initiative is just a bit too powerful; please make it +1 instead.
A couple further requests: can you also add Personality Trait/Ideal/Bond/Flaw details? They may be dead obvious from what you've written, but having them listed on the character sheet makes it easier for me. Also, check your ability scores: if I'm doing my math right, 15,14,13,12,10,8 for a half-elf should go to something like 16, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8.

Sure thing, I only used +2 because that was the effect listed in the Minor Effects Table in the DMG, but +1 is perfectly acceptable. Personality traits are on the linked PDF sheet (which is my original) but I'll copy 'em over to the post, too. And you're right, I must've misjudged one of my +1s; fixed.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Incidentally, have you read OKShark's Eberron fanfiction? I'm working my way through it right now, and I quite like it -- the swashbuckler seems like it could provide some inspiration for you, even if he's not the main character.

I hadn't before, but I have now! That's pretty much what I was thinking, right down to the job-- sort of a cross between assistant helmsman and head of security, when security is necessary on a rustbucket like Lyran's Breath.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 13, 2015

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

TychoBrahesNose posted:

I like this idea and would gladly hear more about an Elf murder-artisan who is being strung along by coy-yet-suggestive missives from an inhabitant of the Faerie Court of Thelanis. As far as the Thuranni are concerned, I'm sure they would consider doing jobs for such a patron in exchange for non-monetary recompense -- the Feyspires are home to some pretty powerful magic, after all. And since the Feyspires occasionally cross over, there might even be the opportunity to visit one in person!

That's good to know. Now, I just need to familiarize myself enough with Eberron to know who my character would be assassinating.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Drone posted:

Kalud d'Torrn, Wilderness Guide of House Tharashk

Kalud looks good too -- I can definitely work with this backstory. However, I'm not sure you did the racial bonuses to his abilities correctly -- on top of 15,14,13,12,10,8 (or the equivalent) he should have +2 Str and +1 Con. That is, I think you missed the +1 somewhere.
Also, in 3E Eberron, Orcs speak a separate language from Goblins, but in 4E Orcs speak Goblin, on account of being subsumed into the Great Goblin Empire several millennia ago. I kind of like that idea, so Goblin can be Kalud's native tongue, and you can pick something else to replace the (nonexistent) Orcish tongue.

As an aside, [ pre ] doesn't wrap lines of text, while [ quote ] does, so if you don't want to have lines that mess up the standard margins, switch to using [ quote ] instead. Or just add line breaks in the appropriate place.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

When you say that a fighter being able to emulate spells through skills or strength is inherently magical, not sure what exactly you mean. In the narrative, an arrow can do the same amount of damage as a scorching ray, though one is clearly magical and the other is not. In the same way, one could conjure up an illusionary disguise while another dons it within seconds, ala Lupin the III. A wizard can increase their speed by casting a Longstrider spell, while a fighter is digging deep into their reserves to simply run faster. For what spells I did fill out, I made sure to only pick those that could be done mundanely. Nothing like Floating Disk or Silent Image or Sleep or Unseen Servant, simply effects that emulate strength and skill and could have completely nonmagical origins.

Yeah, I sort of see what you mean, but to my mind, the mundane use of disguise (for example) is to use the Disguise skill with a Disguise Kit. There's also already a mundane mechanic for running really fast (Dash). I guess one part of the fighter's schtick is to have an Action Surge/Second Wind, so I guess I could see requiring the not-spells to use one of those (since they're out of the ordinary with respect to other classes anyway). That also (significantly) reduces the number of times the effect can be used, and maybe forces the player to take some calculated risks.

quote:

Anyways! Thanks again for the read through. The class is definitely powerful, probably at the level of the wizard or cleric, and it doesn't need to be in a game, especially alongside the standard classes like rogues and fighters, and as you said, it's much easier to balance something in play. More importantly, what really matters is simply that a player enjoys their character and is satisfied with what it can do.

I think maybe this is my issue with it -- with abilities like Animal Friendship, Cure Wounds, and Heroism it can make other classes like the druid (partially) or bard (almost entirely) redundant. That's perfectly fine if you want to play with a party full of wizards and full caster fighters, but it's just not my thing.

Quorum posted:

Sure thing, I only used +2 because that was the effect listed in the Minor Effects Table in the DMG, but +1 is perfectly acceptable. Personality traits are on the linked PDF sheet (which is my original) but I'll copy 'em over to the post, too. And you're right, I must've misjudged one of my +1s; fixed.

The DMG does indeed have +2 initiative as a Minor Effect, but that in particular strikes me as sufficiently powerful to warrant making it an actual honest-to-Aureon magic item. The examples I gave (and the items selected by the other players) are all +1, so I'd prefer to keep everyone's items at the same level. If you want the effectiveness of your trinket improved in-game, feel free to seduce/make friends with an Artificer.

Also, see above re: [ pre ] and its (lack of) line break formatting.

Brewsuke posted:

That's good to know. Now, I just need to familiarize myself enough with Eberron to know who my character would be assassinating.

Is there anybody in Sharn who doesn't deserve a good stab in the back? I actually have some plot-relevant targets if you need some suggestions.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Here's my rough idea and sheet. A changeling sorcerer impersonating a Dragonmarked courier. I suppose I'd need a bonus feat in place of the dragonmark, but not sure what just yet.

quote:

Why’d I steal his face? It’s a long story, I guess. It was supposed to be a one time thing only. I was trying to be nice. I mean, when the poor guy made the trip all the way to my home in the middle of nowhere, bringing himself to death’s door in the process, I felt a little guilty about it. Kept him company for two days, got to know each other, and when he knew that whatever black gunk he was coughing up wasn’t going away, he asked me for a favor.

There was a frontier town less than a week’s travel from my home. Couriers made the trip every six months. He and his wagon had the only contact that town would get for a long time. Letters from loved ones, manufactured goods, important documents.

So yeah, it’s hard to ignore a dying man’s last request. And he had brought me the entire set of plays that I'd ordered. That said, I’d been to that town and they were hateful, racist hicks. So rather than ride in on his wagon and let them think I’d killed him--as changelings are want to do--I wore his face. Rode in, local hero, handed out the things, was gonna leave...when the Mayor tells me the town’s Sender has died, and they need to get a message back to civilization saying just that, as well as their letters back home, as well as new orders for supplies.

...so I made that trip. And it was really going to be the last. It’s just that when I got there, I found out that...well, even longer story. And it’s been that way for the past five years. Just as soon as things settle down, I’m going to get away from all these people, fake my death--his death--and let him get his well-deserved funeral, but until then, I’m stuck. Just my luck that the man had been Dragonmarked and busy. At least he spent so much time on the road traveling, delivering supplies and items to remote locations, that no one really knew him all that well. He'd barely even spoken to his family in the past three years, something I've tried to keep going as I play the part.

What was I doing in the middle of nowhere in the first place? Where did I get these magical powers that let me fake the magic of a dragonmark? That’s an even longer story, and not nearly as cheerful. So mind your own drat business.

Name: Cain Arkans (???)
Race: Human (Changeling)
Class: Sorcerer
Level: 1

HP: 9
AC: 15
Init: +2
Proficiency: +2

Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Courier
Languages: Common, Riedran, Goblin, Draconic

STR: 8 (-1)
DEX: 14 (+2)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 18 (+4)

Skills
Deception (+5), Survival (+3), Animal Handling (+3), Arcana (+2), Insight (+3),

Tools
Carriage, Disguise Kit

Saves
Charisma (+5), Constitution (+4)

Personality:
Traits: I like to collect the personal mementos of other people.
Ideals: Charity.If someone asks for my help, it tends to gnaw at me until I give it.
Bonds: Cain...I had, have a fiance. She’s absolutely lovely and great. Too bad I’m not at all attracted to her.
Flaws: Given the choice between getting 4/5ths of what I want with absolute certainty and getting everything I want with a one in five chance, I’ll take the risk.

Features
Shapechanger. As an action, you can polymorph into any humanoid of your size that you have seen, o rback into your true form. However, your equipment does not change with you. If you die, you revert to your natural appearance.

Wanderer: You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Spellcasting (DC 13)

Draconic Origin: Red, Gain 1 extra hp per level, AC is 13+Dex.

Cantrips: Light, Message, Minor Illusion, Fire Bolt

Spells: Expeditious Retreat, Burning Hands

Actor: +1 Charisma, Advantage on Deception and Performance checks when trying to pass self off as someone else, can mimic the sounds of any person or creature heard for at least a minute.

Equipment
Dagger, Wand, Entertainer’s Pack, Courier’s Backpack (Magical backpack that can carry 150lbs of stuff while weighing only 40 pounds. Unfortunately only makes the pack lighter, not smaller, so it can be a bit hard to get through doorways when full.)

Quadratic_Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 27, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Name: Cain Arkans (???)

Interesting... a deceitful schemer with a soft spot for those in need. That should be fun.
A couple of questions/comments:
It looks like your spells allow you to fake being from House Orien. Given the backstory, that sounds like what you had in mind, but you didn't specify. Relatedly, the Courier's Backpack is a good item to haven taken off the poor deceased mailman.
While "Courier" is certainly an appropriate job description for "Cain", I haven't seen an actual Background built around it. Going solely by the list in the PHB, I would recommend "Folk Hero", but if you want to create your own (with different Skills/Tools/Languages/Feature), feel free to do so and I will take a look at it.
As mentioned in an earlier post, "Orc" doesn't exist as a language, so take Goblin instead. I'm also curious how "Cain" learned Riedran, since there aren't too many Riedrans in Khorvaire, especially not in the little podunk villages in the middle of nowhere.
In terms of Bonus Feats, based on a quick look at the PHB list, I would suggest Actor, Linguist, or Observant.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Interesting... a deceitful schemer with a soft spot for those in need. That should be fun.
A couple of questions/comments:
It looks like your spells allow you to fake being from House Orien. Given the backstory, that sounds like what you had in mind, but you didn't specify. Relatedly, the Courier's Backpack is a good item to haven taken off the poor deceased mailman.
While "Courier" is certainly an appropriate job description for "Cain", I haven't seen an actual Background built around it. Going solely by the list in the PHB, I would recommend "Folk Hero", but if you want to create your own (with different Skills/Tools/Languages/Feature), feel free to do so and I will take a look at it.
As mentioned in an earlier post, "Orc" doesn't exist as a language, so take Goblin instead. I'm also curious how "Cain" learned Riedran, since there aren't too many Riedrans in Khorvaire, especially not in the little podunk villages in the middle of nowhere.
In terms of Bonus Feats, based on a quick look at the PHB list, I would suggest Actor, Linguist, or Observant.

Schemer? I'll have you know that's just a baseless changeling stereotype that may or may not be true most of the time.

The spells are used to mimic the power of the dragonmark, yes. The background is custom, with Animal Handling and Survival skills, as well as proficiency in wagons and disguise kits. As for the feature, I suppose Wanderer fits the best. Decided that Actor fits the best, went with it.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Apropos of the parallel "wizards rule, fighters drool!" discussion occurring in the thread (thanks for the link, epicurius!).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Kalud looks good too -- I can definitely work with this backstory. However, I'm not sure you did the racial bonuses to his abilities correctly -- on top of 15,14,13,12,10,8 (or the equivalent) he should have +2 Str and +1 Con. That is, I think you missed the +1 somewhere.
Also, in 3E Eberron, Orcs speak a separate language from Goblins, but in 4E Orcs speak Goblin, on account of being subsumed into the Great Goblin Empire several millennia ago. I kind of like that idea, so Goblin can be Kalud's native tongue, and you can pick something else to replace the (nonexistent) Orcish tongue.

As an aside, [ pre ] doesn't wrap lines of text, while [ quote ] does, so if you don't want to have lines that mess up the standard margins, switch to using [ quote ] instead. Or just add line breaks in the appropriate place.

Here's how I worked out the abilities at point-buy, maybe I messed something up here?

STR 10 Cost: 2
DEX 10 Cost: 2
CON 13 Cost: 5
INT 15 Cost: 9
WIS 15 Cost: 9
CHA 8 Cost: 0

TOTAL: 27 Cost

Then added +2 STR and +1 CON to arrive at the numbers on the character sheet. Or?

I should have fixed the problems with my [ pre ] now, and I'll replace the Orcish with another language later today once I get access to my PHB again.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Reava looks good. Just one thing: can you add Personality Trait/Ideal/Bond/Flaw details?

I like the minorly-enchanted quill pen. I presume your skills come in particularly handy when your superiors don't want to have to share your House secrets with a Sivis gnome? Also, you technically get the use of Mage Hand from your Dragonmark, though since you know it as a cantrip as well, I think that's not particularly relevant. Rather than effectively losing one of your Mark abilities, maybe there is some way it augments your pact-based Mage Hand?

Finally, any thoughts as to the entity with which you've made your Pact? It may not matter directly in the game, but since this is Eberron, a Daelkyr is one disturbing option (whether you're aware of its nature or not), but in theory it could be a powerful Quori spirit, or even one of the Dragons (though those might be more appropriate for Fiendish or Fey pacts). If you don't care/want to leave the Great Old One unspecified for now, that's fine too.

Added.

Yeah, I didn't put Mage Hand in the Dragonmark section because I have it from a cantrip, but I do like the idea that if I use my dragonmark, I can make it better.

Most of the reason I didn't elaborate on the pact was that I didn't really know Eberron well enough to know what kind of beings would hand out their power. Reading into the options you said, I liked the dragon one.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

djw175 posted:

Yeah, I didn't put Mage Hand in the Dragonmark section because I have it from a cantrip, but I do like the idea that if I use my dragonmark, I can make it better.

Maybe the Dragonmark version acts like the Arcane Tricksters Legerdemain ability?

My character should be ready tomorrow; I've been busy preparing for my home game tonight and haven't had time to work on other D&D projects.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Drone posted:

Here's how I worked out the abilities at point-buy, maybe I messed something up here?

STR 10 Cost: 2
DEX 10 Cost: 2
CON 13 Cost: 5
INT 15 Cost: 9
WIS 15 Cost: 9
CHA 8 Cost: 0

TOTAL: 27 Cost

Then added +2 STR and +1 CON to arrive at the numbers on the character sheet. Or?

Yeah, actually, this is right. I'm just used to people using their racial bonuses on their higher-value abilities where the non-linear point cost makes the stat bump more important.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Maybe the Dragonmark version acts like the Arcane Tricksters Legerdemain ability?

I like this idea. If you've already got Mage Hand, using your Dragonmark in conjunction with it lets you do things that require manual dexterity at up to 30' -- sleight of hand, pick locks, or even calligraphy. You still have to see what you're doing, but you're not in as much danger from setting off traps, for example.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I had everything planned out and then came up with a wonderful stupid idea that made me rework everything.

Character Sheet

Name: Liall d'Laenli of House Orien
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Storm Sorcerer
Level: 1

HP: 8
AC: 13
Init: +3

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Charlatan
Languages: Common, Elvish, Gnomish, Primordial

DEX: 16 (+3)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 16 (+3)

Skills
Acrobatics (+5), Deception (+6), Insight (+2), Perception (+2), Persuasion (+5), Sleight of Hand (+5)

Tools
Disguise Kit, Vehicle (Lightning Rail)

Saves
Charisma (+5), Constitution (+4)

Personality:
Traits: Flattery is my preferred trick for getting what I want.
Ideals: Independence - I am a free spirit - nobody tells me what to do.
Bonds: I am in love with a woman who disapproves of my schemes
Flaws: I blame the increased popularity of airship travel for my last stint of unemployment, and am still disproportionately bitter about it.

Features
Darkvision
Fey Ancestry - Adv. vs charm, cannot be put to sleep.
Tempestuous Magic - Can fly 10ft without provoking Attacks of Opportunity when casting a spell of 1st level or higher.
False Identity - Harrall Hyael, owner of a gemstone mine in Zilargo

Spellcasting (DC 13)

Cantrips: Gust, Minor Illusion, Shocking Grasp, Thunderclap, Light*

Spells: Charm Person, Fog Cloud, Thunderwave, Witch Bolt, Expeditious Retreat*,

Equipment
Quarterstaff (also arcane focus), Dagger x3, Light Crossbow, quarrel of bolts, Diplomat's Pack, Fancy Clothes, Disguise Kit, Forged Documents relating to Harrall Hyael's business operations, satchel containing 10 gems, lucky pendant (grants +1 to Deception)

quote:

Ever since he was a boy, Liall had been in love with the lightning rails and often dreamed about growing up to be one of the engineers. As luck would have it, he had been born into House Orien, and so upon his 16th birthday he was chosen for an apprenticeship where he became adept at not only controlling the air elementals that powered the cars, but also the very air itself. The pay wasn't quite as high as he would have preferred, but the work was easy and enjoyable. Three years ago, however, the one-two combo of the opening of a new airship line between Starilaskur and Flamekeep and a general lull in the economy resulted in Liall being laid off as the number of lightning rail passengers dwindled. Ridership eventually improved, but Liall remained unemployed.

Looking for a way to make money, Liall eventually made his way to Sharn where he used his family name to try and convince nobles that Khovaire would be served by installing a coastal lightning rail line connecting Sharn and Korranberg. Helping him in this endeavor was a mining magnate named Harral Hyael, a half-elf who owned several mines in Zilargo and who may have been Liall himself who extolled the economic benefits such a line would produce. Liall figured that once enough people had pledged to invest, he could walk away with a large sum of money. And there was always the chance that if he accidentally DID get a rail line built, somebody would have to be hired to run the cars...

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Name: Liall d'Laenli of House Orien

This looks OK, mechanically speaking. The most obvious House for a Storm Sorceror would be Lyrandar, so it's interesting you went with their main competitor instead. Having your own goals (bilking investors for lots of money) independent of the overarching plot could be fun to play with too.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

TychoBrahesNose posted:

This looks OK, mechanically speaking. The most obvious House for a Storm Sorceror would be Lyrandar, so it's interesting you went with their main competitor instead. Having your own goals (bilking investors for lots of money) independent of the overarching plot could be fun to play with too.

Yeah, the Lyrandar dragonmark was completely redundant with the free spells storm sorcerers get and I couldn't think of any fun ways to boost them like the Mage Hand.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
"Oh why thank you I will take a few of these, hmm send the bill to House Cannith. Yes I am Nebra d'Cannith, of House Cannith of course. I am just running some errands for the House right now. They could have sent someone else, but well some like to take advantage of their positions. Jealous of my talent of course. Eventually I shall make some great discovery and rise all the higher among the House, then they will regret their behavior. But for now I must do what I am tasked with. It is a pity that I am largely limited to simple things like scrolls for now, but I can at least work on my own pet projects during my free time. And some day I will discover something amazing. Am I a native of Sharn? Yes I was born and raised here, worked in one of Hosue Cannith's labs until I was ready to make my own way. Now I have my own lab high up in the towers, so nice. It has a nice view of the other towers, plenty of sunlight, good access to the best of restaurants, it is quite nice. Oh how I long to get back to my lab and get to work on some of my great works. But first I have to do the shopping for my cousin. Just because he came up with some new warfoged docents last month. Just between you and me those docents were really created by his little sister. But he took the credit for them, and no one would believe that his little sister was capable of such things."

Nebra was on the verge of being officially an adult in the eyes of House Cannith, and unbeknownst to her she was about to find herself betrothed to some cousin or another.

pre:
Name: Nebra d'Cannith of House Cannith
Race: Human
Class: Eberron Artificer
Level: 3
XP: 900/2700

HP: 24
AC: 16
Init: +0

Alignment: Neutral
Background: Guild Merchant
Languages: Common, Giant, Primordial

DEX: 10 (+0)
INT: 16 (+3)
WIS: 16 (+3)
CHA: 10 (+0)

Skills
Arcana (+5), Investigation (+7), History (+5), Insight (+5), Medicine (+5), Perception (+7), Persuasion (+2)

Passive Investigation 22                Passive Perception 22

Tools
Thieves Tools, Alchemist's Supplies, Smith's Tools, Tinker's Tools

Weapons
Simple Weapons, Crossbows, Guns (if used in Campaign)

Armor
Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shield

Saves
Intelligence (+5), Wisdom (+5)

Personality:
Traits: I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
Ideals: Aspiration. I work hard to be the best there is at my craft.
Bonds: The workshop where I learned my trade is the most important place in the world to me.
Flaws: I’ll do anything to get my hands on something rare or priceless.

Features
Ability Score Increase. Two ability scores each increase by 1.
Skills:  Gain proficiency in one skill of choice.
Feat:  Gain one feat of choice.

Infusions: 
You have an inner power to create temporary magic items, for your use or the use of your allies. 
You can use these infusions to initially create scrolls but as your experience deepens you will be 
able to infuse potions, weapons and armor, and based on your vocation more amazing things. 
You only have a limited amount of infusions each day and the items last until expended or the 
start of a long rest, which ever happens first. At the start of a long rest you must choose if you 
are going to infuse old items, create new items, or hold the infusions for later in the day. Later 
you can choose after a short rest or a time period of 10 minutes you can expend infusions to 
create additional temporary magic items. 

Spell Schema: 
You can learn other caster’s spells as schemas that are keep in your schema book, The schemas 
are not the same as arcane or divine spells, but is a more basic form of understanding magic that 
is inherent to both type of magic. Therefore anything you create with your schemas will be neither 
arcane nor divine magic, and requires another artificer to understand the underlying schema. 
You also cannot directly cast the schemas as a wizard or cleric would, instead you must transfer 
the schema to items like scrolls, potions, and wands. 

You starts with 5 + Intelligence ability modifier schemas in your schema book and gains 2 additional 
every level. All schemas must be below your maximum level range (this includes cantrips, you can 
only copy these cantrips into scrolls and cannot cast them at will.) You can also copy the addition 
spells into your schema book by examining a scroll, a spell book, or schema book. This does not use 
up the scroll. Whenever another caster casts a spell that is not located in your schema book and is 
with your schema level range, as a reaction you can make an Arcane (Intelligence) check against the 
caster's spell DC. If successful you remember the details of spell and can add it to your schema book. 
You can only remember one spell and if you attempt to remember a second spell before placing the 
first in your schema book, you will forget the first spell. The cost and time for copy a spell into a 
schema book is half that of a wizard.

A artificer automatically know how to use his known spell as a schema and does not need to keep 
schema of the spell in his schema book, this includes spells he gained from multi-classing. Note that 
because artificer also cast spells, you can create a scroll with an schema that an artificer could not 
normally cast as spell at the current level. Learn such schema does not give you that ability to cast it 
as a normal spell until you reach the required level. If you picked such a schema while leveling you 
would not be able to choose another to replace when reach the appropriate level to cast it normally.

Infuse Scroll: 
You can create scrolls that are bound to your inner power. Creating a scroll requires you to copy to a 
schema from your schema book and then charging the scroll with an infusion. These scrolls can cast 
by anyone that can normally cast it but it cannot be used by others to copy the spell into their spell 
books. During a long rest you must infuse any unused scrolls or they crumble to dust. 

Expertise: 
At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your 
proficiency with thieves’ tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that 
uses either of the chosen proficiencies. Picked Investigation and Perception.

Spellcasting (DC 13)

Schema: 
Bless, Cure Wounds, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield of Faith
+2 1st level
+2 2nd level

Cantrips: Insightful Strike, Mending, Guidance.

Spells: prepare 4

Infuse Potions: 
At 2nd level, you can craft potions with an infusion. You may pick a potions below and if you are high 
enough artificer level you may create a batch of potions with a single infusion. The batch must all be 
the same type of potion. For Example, you cannot create a potion of climbing and growth in the same 
batch. These potions effect anyone who drinks the small vials. At the beginning of a long rest the 
vials must be returned to you in order to infuse the item again, otherwise the potions lose their 
magical properties.

Potions:  Climbing, Growth, Healing, Greater Healing, Mind Reading

Spell Casting: 
At 2nd level you casts Artificer spells. Artificer's spells are generally cast on items. 
Artificers have a limited number of spells per day, based on their level. Similar to other spell 
casters, artificers regain their spells after a long rest. You can cast any spell you know without 
preparing them ahead of time. 

You prepare the list of artificer spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a 
number of artificer spells from your spell list equal to your Intelligence modifier plus one half 
your artificer level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

While rare, artificer's spells that have saving throws have their DC equal to 8 + your proficiency 
bonus + your Intelligence modifier.

Cantrips:
Artificers also gain three cantrips, from his list of available cantrips. At level 11 he can pick 
a fourth. You can use these cantrips at will.

Use Magic Device: 
By 3rd level, you have learned enough about the workings of magic that you can improvise the use of items 
even when they are not intended for you. You ignore all class, race requirements on the use of magic items. 
At 11th you may ignore level requirements.

Create Permanent Magic Item:
Some campaigns allow the all Spell-casters to start creating magic items at 3rd. If your campaign does, 
artificer will also be able to make items at the correct level but they also have a few advantages. First 
they automatically can craft spell scroll for any spell that they know as a spell schema or infusions. 
They also know the formula for any potion that they can infuse but must wait for the appropriate level 
in order to create the magic item based on it rarity. Also if the magic item other than spell scroll 
requires a spell in order to complete the creation of the item, they may ignore the requirement.

Warning to DMs some items become too powerful when changed into temporary items. You may forbid certain 
items from become temporary items, or may require the temporary item to need some rare substance in order 
to work. This category is mostly permanent items that have charges but are not wands. An example is the 
necklace of fireball. In this case you may require multiple charge in order to get the item to multiple beads.

If you are playing a campaign where the Player Character will not be able to craft magic items it is still 
possible to play this artificer class. In this case when the character reaches 8th level and is supposed 
to receive his first formula, the character would receive two and would continue to receive one each level 
from then on. These formulas can only be used to create temporary magic items. Since the group would not 
receive formulas in treasure the artificer would still be able to progress with his infusion ability, the 
formula's rarity would be for an item appropriate for level of artificer. 

Vocations

Alchemist (Healer, Ranged)

Bonus Proficiency: 
At 3rd level you gain proficiency with Medicine and Alchemist Tools. If you are already proficient with 
Medicine you may choose another skill available to you at level 1. Medicine is still the skill you gain 
expertise with the vocation expertise feature at 6th level. If you are already proficient with Alchemist 
Tools you may choose another set of artisan tools. Alchemist tools is still the tool you gain expertise 
with the vocation expertise feature at 6th level.

Vocation Spells: 
You can cast Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Prayer of Healing, and Mass Healing Word spells. They cannot be 
learn as such by other Artificers.

Superior Potion Infusion: 
When you infuse potions you can infuse one additional potions per batch as normal artificers.

Infuse Bomb: 
You can also infuse deadly concoctions with your infusion points. Each infusion produces three bombs. 
When thrown at a target he and all creatures in with 5 feet of him must make a successful dexterity save 
versus spell casting DC. Any creature that falls the roll takes 2d6 fire, cold, or acid damage (your choice.) 
All creatures must take the same type and amount of damage. 

Feats:
Observant
• Increase your Intelligence or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum o f 20.
• If you can see a creature’s mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret 
  what it’s saying by reading its lips.
• You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores.

Dragonmark of Making
• Uses Intelligence 
• Learn Identify, mending each usable 1/day
• Learn Magic weapon at 5th level usable 1/day
• Learn Fabricate at 9th level usable 1/day

Equipment
Quarterstaff, Dagger x3, Light Crossbow, quarrel of bolts, Diplomat's Pack, Fancy Clothes, Alchemist's Supplies, 
Tinker's tools, satchel containing 10 gems, breastplate, shield, 
a glass orb with swirling smoke that reacts to malfunctions 

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 1, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Bastion Nine

The cover story...
Cannith. Deneith. Ghallanda. Jorasco. Kundarak. Lyrandar. Medani. Orien. Phiarlan. Sivis. Tharashk. Thuranni. Vadalis.

Have you ever even been to a city before? Have you tasted a fine wine, or perhaps enjoyed an exotic tea? Have you ever paid for anything in your life? If you have done any of these things, your life has been touched, and in a large part dictated, by those lucky enough to be born into one of these houses. Individually, they are the wealthiest, most influential, most well-connected groups in recorded history. To cross one of them is to invite disaster, although to gain one's favor is much the same, as it will no doubt offend a rival house. Collectively, they are the most powerful group the planet has ever seen, and but for luck itself have they managed to avoid working together to conquer the world, if not rising to challenge all planar existence on a whim.

It is that latter part where a man like Bastion comes into play. Although the houses are each individually powerful, they are rooted in a political world. There is no such thing as 'can not' when it comes to The Dragonmarked Houses, but there most certainly is such a thing as should not. A Dragonmarked House should not cross another house openly, unless they wish to find themselves embroiled in a rivalry that will span generations. A Dragonmarked House should not risk its most talented and powerful members on matters that do not require their attention, and also should not distract their up-and-comers from valuable training and education. A Dragonmarked House should not part with arcane and divine talent when it can part with money and favors instead. Each house has its own variant of these and many other similar protocols, of course, but they all share a common thread: why buy the cow when you only want a glass of milk?

Enter, stage left, Bastion Nine: private investigator, personal bodyguard, and artifact recovery specialist. He is admittedly little more than a face among the adoring masses, one of a thousand pairs of hands employed by the ruling elite when it encounters a task beneath it in some manner: although that is perhaps precisely how he wishes to be seen. Since arriving in Sharn six months ago, he has performed a number of less-than-legal activities for three of the Dragon-marked Houses, and has proven himself to be a discrete and seemingly reliable operator. Part of the reason for this rising tide of approval and favor is that he does three things exceptionally well. First, he follows instructions. That's the most important bit. He listens to his employer's words and executes them. Good luck finding a man like that on the ground without birthing them yourself. Second, he keeps his god drat mouth shut. He doesn't reveal house secrets, he doesn't talk about the specifics of former contracts, and he doesn't explain things to people who don't need to know: furthermore, he will literally kill you if you attempt to pry these things from his mind. Every house is aware of that, because it's in the fine print of every contract. So far, nobody has called his bluff on the matter. Third, and finally, he gets the job done. The only catch is that you don't get to ask how the job got done. If you're hiring him, you should already be well beyond the point of caring about the details.

The real story...
Whenever you see a troll overturn a fruit stand, or a group of goblins drag away a penniless gambler, or a hobgoblin dealing dreamlily, Daask is probably behind it. All of the non-human races involved in Daask originate in Droaam, and there are some rumors that the gang is state-sponsored. Although the gang is best known for its monstrous members, a significant number of humans and shifters fill its ranks. While the Boromar Clan focuses on graft, Daask makes its presence known through physical violence. Although their fights sometimes lead to death, its assassination racket is not as large as House Tarkanan, and its members are better suited for armed robbery and muggings. The other profit engine for Daask is their narcotics trade. Dreamlily, dragon’s blood, and heartflow are almost all under the gang’s purview, and dragon’s blood is only available from Daask. The gang is based in Khyber’s Gate, and their business has begun to overlap heavily into Boromar territory. But because of the gang’s cavalier attitude, fluid membership, nomadic headquarters, and concentrated strength, they have posed a serious challenge to the long-established clan.

There’s an interesting thing about criminal organizations run by trolls, hobgoblins, goblins, bugbears, and their ilk, though: nobody with a brain trusts them. At all. Moreover, expanding into lands controlled by humanoid races – such as Sharn – is a bit of challenge when your membership tends to be viewed as ‘those things people new to the adventuring business deal with to develop a reputation as a hero’. To that end, Daask hasn’t survived by operating without at least some amount of discretion. It takes a keen eye, a subtle hand, and a significant proficiency in manipulation to play matchmaker between human clients in need of brute strength and the ‘monstrous’ races capable of providing that service. Enter, stage right, Bastion Nine: negotiator, spy, infiltrator, thief, and wet-work specialist. Rather obviously, the man isn’t a member of a monstrous race, with his carefully manicured nails, pressed clothing, and plucked eyebrows. As a half-elf, he’s an unlikely candidate to be caught working with hobgoblins and trolls. That unlikely matchup is precisely what keeps others from suspecting the true nature of his business dealings, however.

The half-elf arrived in Sharn six months ago, having recently accepted a contract to act as the eyes and ears of the Daask. So far, he has performed well in his chosen role. By day, and often by night, he accepts contracts within the city for his services as a private investigator, or a bodyguard, or something in between. The right-side-of-the-law equivalent of a hardened criminal, in many ways. This is all a cover, of course, because being good at his job means he develops a reputation, and developing a reputation ultimately means getting earmarked for projects that will inevitably lead to more lucrative work with the Dragonmarked Houses.

His role for Daask is two-fold: first, if he sees an opportunity to recruit a promising individual with the proper racial pedigree, he points them in the right direction of the Daask. Someone else handles the character assessment, interrogation, or whatever else might be appropriate in the circumstances. Second, he keeps an eye on the street: the Daask deal in illicit narcotics, and are inherently protective of their territory. If and when other individuals start dealing in substances deemed to be in competition, it doesn't take long for a talented half-elf like Bastion to find the source, and ensure something unfortunate happens to them.

As for the man himself, some suspect that his true motives suit his own ends as much as they do the Daask. However, that's par for the course when dealing with men with his particular skill set. He hasn't done anything to earn the ire or suspicion of disloyalty of his favored organization, and has willingly attested to having no intention of doing so within the confines of a truth-compelling enchantment. So far, that's been good enough for anyone bright enough to ask the question. How hard would it really be to outsmart a hobgoblin, though?

Questions and answers...
Q> What is your role within the house?
A> Bastion Nine works on a contract basis as a private investigator, and has worked for several of the Dragonmarked Houses. He has done enough work to earn their trust, at least as far as anyone outside of their own bloodlines is ever able to earn it. His specialties are in the areas of private investigation, bodyguard duty for important individuals, and the recovery of lost or stolen materials.
S> Bastion Nine acts as an agent of Daask throughout the Sharn. When the need arises, he is an infiltrator, a spy, a charlatan, a break-and-enter artist, or a dozen other things. His primary role is recruitment and observation. When he encounters a promising individual, he points them in the direction of Daask if they're of the right bloodline. And when an opportunity arises to help sabotage the competition, he passes the necessary information along to the right people.

Q> Are you a native of Sharn?
A> No. Bastion Nine arrived in Sharn six months ago from places unknown, and he is generally unwilling to speak about his past. When pressed, he does explain that he was sent to Sharn by his father in order to help build a future for those he left behind, but that is as far as he has gone into the matter.

Q> What is one secret that you know that could get you into trouble?
A> Bastion Nine has accepted contracts for several of the Dragonmarked Houses over the past six months, and during the course of those contracts has come into contact with various matters that would be considered sensitive information. Hardly anything dangerous, but certainly things that might be construed as embarrassing: the marriage-threatening dalliance of a prominent member of a house that needed to be paid off to leave town, and then forcibly escorted as far away as possible, for example. The amount of bribes paid to law enforcement and tavern owners in order to keep various narcotic addictions among younger members of certain houses out of the media and general public knowledge, for another. Fortunately, his contracts are very clear about one thing: if anyone endeavors to read his mind or otherwise pry these or other secrets from his head, he will murder them in cold blood. Nonetheless, he knows enough to get a regular man killed, and he is certain that at least a few houses have casually thought about breaking that aspect of the contract once in a while. He really hopes they don't.
S> Among other things, Bastion Nine is an agent of Daask. That membership comes with knowledge that many would kill for, including places and names one could use to purchase narcotics or poisonous substances, the location of a handful of black markets, and similar dark dealings. He's exceedingly careful with that knowledge, and doesn't slip up, but people would kill for it. Fortunately, he would also kill to protect it.

Character concept and various mechanical things...
I am playing this build in a different game, but would like to try it out in a module that has a deeper amount of political intrigue and connection to the larger world in which we're operating. I will start as a half-elf rogue with the criminal background, progressing to a multi-class rogue (assassin) / warlock (Great Old One: pact of the chain) to level six. After that it will depend on how the game goes, I suppose. The character will have a heavy focus on at-will illusions, deception, disguise, divination magic, enchantments, and surprise attacks when the situation calls for it.

That said, I won't have a dragon-mark with this character history, and would prefer to start the game with the observant feat instead. This facilitates my role as a private investigator, scout, spy, infiltrator, and so on. Hopefully that's fine.
pre:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:		Bastion Nine					Alignment:	Chaotic Neutral
Race:		Half-elf					Background:	Criminal (spy)
Class:		Rogue (1)					Size:		Medium

STR		 8 (-1)	[ 8 base]		(0)		INT		12 (+1)	[12 base]			(4)
DEX		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 racial]	(9)		WIS		13 (+1)	[11 base + 1 racial + 1 feat]	(3)
CON		10 (+0)	[10 base]		(2)		CHA		17 (+3)	[15 base + 2 racial]		(9)
Perception	20	[10 base + 5 skill + 5 feat]		Investigation	20	[10 base + 5 skill + 5 feat]

HP		 8 / 8	[8 rogue + 0 ability]			AC		14	[11 armor + 3 dexterity]
Proficiency	+2	[Lv. 1]					Initiative	+3	[ 3 base]
Speed		30'	[30 racial]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special abilities:
   Race:	Half-elf
		+2 Charisma / +1 Dexterity / +1 Wisdom
		Skill proficiency (performance)
		Skill proficiency (persuasion)
		Language proficiency (common)
		Language proficiency (elvish)
		Language proficiency (primordial)
		Darkvision
		 • Can see in dim light within 60' as if it were bright light.
		 • Can see in darkness as if it were dim light.
		Fey ancestry
		 • Advantage on saving throws against being charmed.
		 • Immune to sleep.

Class:	Rogue (Lv. 1)
		Skill proficiency (sleight of hand)
		Skill proficiency (stealth)
		Skill proficiency and expertise (investigation)
		Skill proficiency and expertise (perception)
		Save proficiency (dexterity)
		Save proficiency (intelligence)
		Tool proficiency (thieves' tools)
		Language proficiency (thieves' cant)
		Sneak attack (+1d6)

Background:	Criminal (spy)
		Skill proficiency (acrobatics)						[Replacing stealth]
		Skill proficiency (deception)
		Tool proficiency (dice set)
		Tool proficiency (poisoner's kit)					[Replacing thieves' tools]

Criminal contact
		• You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network
		  of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over
		  great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters,
		  and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.

Feats:	Observant								[Bonus]
		• +1 Wisdom
		• If you can see a creature’s mouth while it is speaking a language you understand,
		  you can interpret what it’s saying by reading its lips.
		• You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence
		  (Investigation) scores.
Proficiencies:
Skills:
Athletics		- 1		---		STR	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Acrobatics		+ 5		Criminal	DEX	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Sleight of hand		+ 5		Rogue		DEX	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Stealth			+ 5		Rogue		DEX	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Knowledge
   (arcana)		+ 1		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
   (history)		+ 1		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
   (investigation)	+ 5		Rogue		INT	[2 proficiency + 1 ability + 2 expertise]
   (nature)		+ 1		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
   (religion)		+ 1		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Animal handling		+ 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Insight			+ 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Medicine		+ 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Perception		+ 5		Rogue		WIS	[2 proficiency + 1 ability + 2 expertise]
Survival		+ 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Deception		+ 5		Criminal	CHA	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Intimidation		+ 3		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
Performance		+ 5		Half-elf	CHA	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Persuasion		+ 5		Half-elf	CHA	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]

Equipment:
Arms			Simple / Hand Crossbow / Longsword / Rapier / Shortsword	[Rogue]
Armor			Light								[Rogue]

Saves:
Strength		- 1		---			[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Dexterity		+ 5		Rogue			[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Constitution		+ 0		---			[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Intelligence		+ 3		Rogue			[2 proficiency + 1 ability]
Wisdom			+ 1		---			[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Charisma		+ 3		---			[0 proficiency + 3 ability]

Languages:	 	4					[3 racial + 1 class]
   Standard            (2):		Common, Elvish
   Exotic	       (2):		Primordial, Thieves' Cant
Spellcasting:
It is a mystery.
Wealth:
Arms
Dagger		[x 2]	[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  2    lbs.		1d4 piercing / finesse / light / thrown
Rapier			[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  2    lbs.		1d8 piercing / finesse
Shortbow		[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  2    lbs.		1d6 piercing / two-handed
   Arrows	[x20]	[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.

Armor and clothing
Leather armor		[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		 10    lbs.		11 AC
Clothes (common)	[Criminal]	(    -   gp)		  3    lbs.		Dark and hooded

Equipment
Thieves' tools		[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.
Crowbar			[Criminal]	(    -   gp)		  5    lbs.
Belt pouch		[Criminal]	(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.
 Gold pieces		[Criminal]	(   15   gp)		  1    lbs.

Burglar's pack		[Criminal]	(   -    gp)
   - Backpack		   - Bag of 1,000 ball bearings
   - 10 feet of string	   - Bell
   - 5 candles		   - Crowbar
   - Hammer		   - 10 pitons
   - Hooded lantern	   - 2 flasks of oil
   - 5 days of rations	   - Tinderbox
   - Waterskin		   - 50' hemp rope

Carrying capacity
Strength			   8		[ 8]
Carrying capacity		 120 lbs.	[ 8 * 15]
Push / drag / lift		 240 lbs.	[ 8 * 30]

Waador fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 16, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

Name: Malcolm d'Cannith of House Cannith

I'm glad someone is willing to playtest the Artificer. Are you cool with modifying aspects of the class on the fly if they're over/under-powered?
Regarding your armor: acquiring a breastplate is of course trivial for a scion of House Cannith, but you're not expecting to actually wear it to like, parties with the nobility or anything, are you? Also, since no one has apped a Tank (Barbarian/Fighter/Paladin) as of yet, are you looking to fill that role?
Incidentally, there won't be guns (unless you invent them, I suppose).
I like the idea of a diagnostic device (especially in the hands of an artificer), but how do you envision your "glass orb with swirling smoke that reacts to malfunctions" working?
Also, this is potentially nitpicking over a minor detail of your backstory, but are you expecting that the Canniths really have (re-)invented docents, the artifacts of Giant society heretofore found primarily in the ruins of Xen'drik? Or are the modern docents related to the ancient ones in the same way that the present-day "Heirs of Dhakaan" are related to the now-defunct continent-spanning goblin empire of several millennia past?
Finally, Epicurius tells me that he is working on a Cannith character as well, with budding family ties to the Canniths in Sharn. Check in with him to see if you two want to tie your backstories together.

Waador posted:

Bastion Nine

To be perfectly honest, this will be really tricky to pull off successfully, for several reasons. I get the impression that House Tarkanan is quite...antisocial. Yeah, Thuranni and Phiarlan are also known for their assassins or whatever, but those Houses at least have a respectable side and are major players in Khorvaire society, so they are significantly invested in the status quo. On the other hand, House Tarkanan just wants to watch the world burn...starting with Sharn. How would your character get along with a party full of Dragonmarked when (on paper at least) the organization to which he has pledged his undying loyalty wants them all dead?

Second, knowing the identities of lots of aberrant-marked people, their safe houses, and their connections seems really powerful. Like, game-breakingly so. I could see aspiring to that position of knowledge and influence eventually, rather than possessing it already at level 1, but that leads to another problem. Tarkanan is unlike the other Houses in that it isn't made up of dozens or hundreds of blood-related but non-Marked members for every member who possesses a Mark. As far as I can tell, it consists entirely of those with aberrant Marks who have been "adopted" in. Sure, those with Marks will certainly have non-Marked hangers-on, but such people are likely to be low-level flunkies rather than the real power-players in the House. So I don't see how to reconcile your lack of a Mark with a position of significant influence in the House (no matter what your level).

If you want to be part of the criminal underworld, the Tyrants or the Boromar Clan (or even Daask) are perfectly legitimate illegitimate organizations, without all of the anti-Dragonmark-establishment baggage specifically associated with House Tarkanan. And there wouldn't be barriers to power or influence in those organizations if you lack a Mark (though having a Mark certainly wouldn't hurt).

Don't get me wrong, this character concept is certainly plenty interesting; it just doesn't seem like it will fit within my particular game without some significant revision. On the other hand, if you want to keep this character concept intact and instead try to address the concerns I've laid out, you're welcome to do so, but at the moment the chance of this character being accepted is hovering close to zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
As mentioned in the last post, there is currently no front-line damage-sponge in the party, so those who are still looking to submit a character may want to take this into consideration.

Also, some other bookkeeping: Quorum, I think Celio has 1 HP too many (base 8 + 2 for Con, yes?); Quadratic_Wizard, I think Cain has 1 HP too few (base 6 + 2 for Con + 1 for Draconic Heritage, yes?). Speaking of Cain, which flavor of Dragon is he descended from? Based on his current fire-focused spell selection, I'm assuming it's either Brass, Gold, or Red?

• Locked thread