Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I'll wait a couple of days for any interestd PCs to help Elizara/Councillor Davandi. If not, then the NPCs can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Sorry for the delay, though hopefully that was not unexpected given the hoildays. I'm back and have updates for everyone who needed them.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I mentioned that we're closing in on the end of this scene, though there are a number of loose ends that you all are welcome to pursue in the meantime. Bastion, at least, is certainly full of theories; if you want to discuss them OOC you are welcome to do so here. I will assume that at some point your characters will all share with each other what they (think they) know; that can be done off-camera. Unless of course you want to keep something to yourself so that those dirty scheming members of <insert other House name here> don't find out, that's perfectly fine too -- just let me know in some fashion what secrets you're keeping.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Please no secrets between the GM and one player. In my experience that never pays off, especially for the other players, because the game might go in another direction, and it also messes with the expectation of party synchronicity, ie that there is always a common goal more important than any other that keeps the PCs together as a party.

Players are the actors and the audience, and although it seems suspenseful to hide stuff from the audience, there are a couple reasons why that isn't enough to outweigh the cons and be better than the alternative. First, dramatic irony--where the audience knows what the actors do not--is a more enjoyable than suspense for the players-as-audience than having to wait not just for the GM's world to reveal its mysteries, but also one or more players'. Second, as actors, having another hide their script and motivations makes interplay with them harder and less rewarding. Even if the one not "in the know" plays into the dramatic irony perfectly, that player doesn't know it or feel rewarded in doing so until the secret is resolved. This is not delayed gratification, because that only works when one defers their own gratification. It's in fact just less gratification, in terms of number of people who get it. In a cooperative game, whatever more the secretkeeper and GM get doesn't outweigh the less for everyone else.

Interplayer secretkeeping would also make OOC theorizing pointless because if a player shares with the GM that they're keeping this secret, I'm assuming that also locks out the GM from sharing it and betraying their confidence. It'd be especially pointless if the secretkeeping's right to "lie by omission" in confidence also extended to "straight up lying."

I absolutely don't think intercharacter secret keeping is bad though. Here's how I think that alone rather than both intercharacter and interplayer secret keeping should work: if a player wants their character to keep a secret from the others, that player let every other player know it and its purpose, then the rest of the players and GM promise to let them make it matter in the fiction, and absolutely not to abuse their metaknowledge to just hose the secretkeeper, no matter how cleverly in-game, without that player's express permission. To do otherwise would be denying their 'arc' before its resolution, which rewards no one except the player who hosed not only the player of the secretkeeper, but also everyone else, who was to be the audience of that resolution.

Make sense?

Anyway that said, Haval thinks Medani had to have known something, because they know every plot in Breland. He's drank with enough strangers--his Personality Trait--who believed that to think it highly likely. His Bonds and Flaws are loyalty and executing orders even if he thinks they're wrong, so he doubts that Orien knew anything about the plot, otherwise there'd have been more security aboard every train, more searches, train and rail inspections, etc. It never enters his mind that this could be a false flag type thing. He suspects Vadalis had some inkling, because they showed up too soon and talked to Bastion so openly. The probability of their being lucky enough to be there in a nick of time yet stupid enough to open their mouths before they knew what the shot was versus following some lost magic items, mage-bred monsters, or the thieves themselves and already having a story straight for him leans far to the latter. He himself gives his competitors the benefit of the doubt--Respect is his Ideal--content to keep reaping the rewards of being underestimated by the overconfident without falling into the same trap. You pick that up as a Cyran, especially one trained in their martial arts.

Medani and Vadalis are two houses, enough to satisfy the "many" he said must have known. Saying they each knew enough to have prevented the attack and likely would have if only they'd worked together is speculative, hopeful, giving the benefit of the doubt, and pragmatic--in terms of calming the immediate mob and the rest of the People to whom they will spread the word. He also believes that whatever house the instigator represents also must have known, because instigators are made, not born, and he doesn't recognize him. Great manipulators of the People tend to appear in the media, of which he reads as much as possible to make himself more relatable to the public and to satisfy his hunger for the inside information that his own House withholds from him. He blacks out anything in the papers written about him. If it's good, it would make it easier for him to slip to overconfidence, if it were bad, anger. A face or a duelist with an inferiority complex was splitting their focus.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I am not entirely sure where the secret keeping discussion is coming from but considering I plan to read everyone's mind about twelve times a day I don't think it'll end up applying anyway. That said my preference is probably not to assume that everything I know/think is shared in the background, and rather actually have dialogue with other party members in posts, since that lends to actually getting to know one another and developing a rapport. Practically speaking I don't really intend to withhold any of my analysis from anyone, since I see it as a good opportunity for marketing during an incident where a lot of houses have eyes on the situation.

That said I am presently at a loss to understand how we are going to come to a point where we have any motivation to work with one another in the long-term. Maybe that is going to take care of itself through further tragedy or shared danger, but we're just passengers on a train and aside from a few brief interactions most of us don't seem to know or care about one another, which doesn't bode that well for long-term cohesiveness. I guess it sort of depends whether the next scene is us back in Sharn or if something further happens in the forest, but it seems fairly likely that we would just go our separate ways once we get back to Sharn?

For my own part, since it seems Quorum has dropped, my current motivation is likely to get him and his package back to Sharn so that I can be rid of him and collect my reward. I am endeavoring to buy some goodwill with House Vadalis via the telepathic offer to keep the obvious lies of their story under wraps so that it turns into a longer-term contract to absolve them of any guilt in this incident (and also because I want access to the steady stream of magical beast poisons that only their house can provide). Theoretically there is going to be an inquiry on this matter after we get back to Sharn (if we get back to Sharn?), so I assume they are going to have some kind of interest in hiring a neutral third party investigator to help prove their innocence. That positions me to at least want to keep tabs on the other people that were on the train, since odds are at least one of them is either a) guilty or b) going to also investigate the incident for their own reasons and might happen upon information that will be useful for my needs.

I also probably have an interest in remaining in contact with Reava longer-term for a few reasons, including the fact that her slinging eldritch blasts everywhere is a pretty good clue about the source of her talents, so my natural paranoia and curiosity wants to ferret out who her pact is with. On the less investigative side I'm also interested in chilling with her since we worked well together to deal with the threat, and as she's obviously a bit of a glass cannon (as far as I think) I suspect it'll be a good pairing to keep her safe while she mows down threats, so I figure that might turn into a decent follow-up bodyguard contract similar to the one I had with Celio. I would imagine my motivation is to accept the Vadalis contract under the table to prove their innocent and then justify my presence in any expedition that looks into it with a bodyguard contract so that I can collect two payments for one job.

Presently I don't think I have any real motivation one way or another to remain in contact with anyone else on the train. The gnome's attitude makes me laugh but not enough to really want to be best friends or anything, and I don't think I've really spoken to anyone else in great length.

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 19, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Effortpost incoming -- not sure if I'm going to drop it all in one big chunk though, since that will take longer to write. But rest assured I'm working on it.

Also, Waador, don't fret about motivations for keeping you all together -- I have at least some semblance of a plan in that regard. In addition, your suggestion for a change of employer from Lyrandar to Vadalis is duly noted. Finally, I'm not sure I'd consider your telepathic communication as "mind-reading" (unless you have a separate means for that?) -- initially, it was not even clear to me that your telepathic communication should be two-way (the wording of the power is somewhat vague, and thus far I've not had anyone actually respond telepathically), though given the other telepathic spells/powers available that capability seems reasonable to me. But it is a low-level power, so I'm inclined to keep it fairly limited, especially compared to what I'd let you get away with if you used the proper (8th Level) Telepathy spell, for example.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Effortpost incoming -- not sure if I'm going to drop it all in one big chunk though, since that will take longer to write. But rest assured I'm working on it.

Also, Waador, don't fret about motivations for keeping you all together -- I have at least some semblance of a plan in that regard. In addition, your suggestion for a change of employer from Lyrandar to Vadalis is duly noted. Finally, I'm not sure I'd consider your telepathic communication as "mind-reading" (unless you have a separate means for that?) -- initially, it was not even clear to me that your telepathic communication should be two-way (the wording of the power is somewhat vague, and thus far I've not had anyone actually respond telepathically), though given the other telepathic spells/powers available that capability seems reasonable to me. But it is a low-level power, so I'm inclined to keep it fairly limited, especially compared to what I'd let you get away with if you used the proper (8th Level) Telepathy spell, for example.
The first bit probably requires clarification in that it's speaking to the near-term future, in that detect thoughts is on my planned spell list.

The second part with regard to telepathy is actually laid out on page 9 of the Monster Manual and/or page 260 of the SRD. The relevant text is also here for convenience. That said, there was a tweet by one of the game designers that contradicts this, but in general they have no idea how their game works or what is written in any of their books so I've mostly ignored everything he has to say. Though, in his defense, the tweet in question was on August 28, 2014, and the Monster Manual was first printed in September of 2014, so it may have been a design decision changed late in the game.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Monsters operate differently from PCs. From a design perspective, Monster telepathy would be dumb and uninteractive if it weren't 2-way. PCs on the other hand are meant to use their limited powers cleverly and as part of a team, and they are intended not to infringe on other classes/build's niches and have predictable jumps in power depending on tiers and specific levels. For instance, one way telepathy is a good way to get around language barriers for spells that depend on that kind of thing, it absolutely isn't supposed to be a strictly better tier 2/level 5 ability (the Tongues spell) that you can get at level 1.

It makes much more sense that It's supposed to be balanced against Comprehend Languages, another level/tier 1 ability, and it is. CL lets you understand, AM lets you "talk."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
There are definitely a number of good discussions to be had on the issue in terms of game design and how a game should be written.

I think in this case it depends on how you phrase it, though. You can have a few competing statements, for example:

Path A posted:

Message is a cantrip that allows you to privately discuss with a single target within 120', so long as you both share a language.
Awakened Mind is a class feature that allows you to privately discuss with a single target within 30', even if you don't share a language.
In this case both are first-level abilities, and can be used at will for a specific purpose (communication). They don't achieve other ends (such as spying) because you can't overhear their conversations (that is what comprehend languages might be for at this level).

It is equally valid to take the other path, which goes along the lines of what has been said.

Path B posted:

Awakened Mind is a class feature that allows you to have a one-way conversation with any creature in existence, so long as it possesses a language.
Tongues is a spell that allows you to have a two-way conversation with any creature in existence, so long as it possesses a language.
In this case Tongues is a higher-level ability, and can be used on a limited basis for a specific purpose (communication with those who don't share your language). It also achieves other ends (such as spying) because you can now overhear and in fact impersonate other languages, lending to a few other avenues that telepathy would complicate.

I don't think either is an inherently wrong approach, though I think my main caution is that it is generally unwise to gauge the strength of class features in the vein of comparable spells. A class feature comes online very early in the game (in the first three levels), and is generally the strongest ability the class will have for the entire game. A few examples:
> A second-level rogue can move at 60' per round, faster than 99% of opponents, while still attacking. If he doesn't want to fight in melee, that's that. He can do this every round, forever.
> A second-level druid has more hit points than the rest of the party combined (in most cases), and also has higher damage per round and more attacks per round. He can do this twice per short rest (and one of those rests might be underground while he is a mole).
> A second-level wizard gets to tell the DM what the result of his die rolls are when it's convenient for him. He can do this twice per long rest, but even that on paper sounds absurd.

From a design intent perspective, it's hard to argue that class features aren't intended to be about fifty times better than any comparative spell of equivalent level. Cunning action is objectively better than Expeditious Retreat, despite both being accessible at first level. Wild shape is probably competitive with polymorph, despite the latter being accessible only at seventh level (obviously this is a bit harder to gauge since polymorph has higher level forms, but the ability to wild shape a dozen times a day is a pretty strong argument for it). Portent results in such situations as a PC telling the DM "I cast suggestion, and the NPC rolls a 3 on his save, he does what I want."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I'm just now recovering from having a houseguest for 3 weeks, so given the increase in free time I expect to have a post up in the next few days.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Ryuujin posted:

Spells gained:
Level 1
Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Prayer of Healing, and Mass Healing Word
Ryuujin - not sure if you are reading the OOC thread for this game regularly, so will try to ping you on IRC on this as well, but I don't think this is how the spellcasting works in this case. Prayer of healing is a second-level spell and mass healing word is a third level spell.

The alchemist class write-up reads:
"Vocation Spells: You can cast Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Prayer of Healing, and Mass Healing Word spells. They cannot be learn as such by other Artificers."

So essentially, when you choose your vocation, I believe these are effectively added to your list of spells you can cast, but it doesn't reduce their spell level. So you'd be limited to casting Prayer of Healing from level 5 onwards, and Mass Healing Word from 9 onwards. It seems to be similar to how divine domains work in that the spells are added to your list but you still need the right slot to cast them. It does say these spells are "always prepared and don't count against your maximum prepared spells" but without the slots to cast them it doesn't matter much.

Admittedly the class write-up is classic ESL and not proofread at all, so it's hard to say what they intended, but I can't imagine it intends to drop the vocation spells down to first level. Otherwise you should absolutely just go with the elemental binder vocation since it would give you conjure minor elementals and conjure elemental as first-level spells (which is further evidence that it definitely doesn't work this way, though).

Anyway just something to keep in mind as it might modify your spell choices and plan for the next few levels, and probably better to figure this one out before we're in combat and need healing.

edit: I also think you get spells known on top of the vocation ones? Not sure how that works though.

Waador fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 2, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I didn't think I would actually be able to cast any of those except Healing Word and Cure Wounds, yet.

I have "spells known" for Schema. These are the ones I still need to pick 2 more 1st level and 2 2nd level, from any class. These can only be used in things like creating scrolls and eventually magic items.

I also have actual spells, not known but more like a Druid/Cleric/Paladin where I know all the Artificer list and prepare 1/2 Artificer level plus Int mod of them. Most of the spells the Alchemist knows are brand new and just buffs to items.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I think this is everything?

Reava, Half-Elf Warlock, Guild Artisan of House Medani

pre:
Class: Warlock

HP: 21
AC: 12
AP: 5
Init: +0
Prof Bonus: +2

Alignment: True Neutral
Patron: Great Old One
Background: Guild Artisan
Languages: Elven, Common, Halfling
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft

Features:
Awakened Mind
Least Dragonmark: Mark of Detection
Darksight 60ft
Fey Ancestry
Pact Boon: Pact of the Tome

Strength: 8 (-1)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Dexterity: 10 (0)
Intelligence: 14 (+2) (Racial +1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3) (Racial +1) (Prof)
Charisma: 16 (+3) (Racial +2) (Prof)

Personality:
Traits: There's nothing wrong with having pride in your work, especially when you put your all into it.
Ideal: I have fully devoted myself to House Medani. While it thrives, I do as well. When it suffers, I suffer.
Bond: While to outsiders, we appear distant and emotionless, in the Warning Guild, there's a nice camaraderie among those of us tasked with ferreting out secrets.
Flaw: I'm a bit of a control freak, I suppose. Whenever something slips out of my control, I try to get it back in my hands as soon as possible.
Proficiencies:
Simple Weapons, Light Armor, Calligrapher's Tools, Persuasion,
Insight, Investigation, Deception, Arcana, Perception

Equipment:
Spellcasting Focus
Studded Leather Armor
A Dagger
A Scholar's Pack
Calligrapher's Tools
Favored Quill Pen (+1 to Investigation)
Book of Shadows

Invocations
Agonizing Blast: +CHA to Eldritch Blast damage
Book of Ancient Secrets: Gain two rituals and also become able to learn more rituals

Spells (2 Slots)
Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand
Guidance
Prestidigitation
Fire Bolt

Level 1:
Hex
Illusory Script
Comprehend Languages
Find Familiar
Identify

Level 2:
Suggestion

Dragonmark:
Detect Magic
Augment: Mage Hand

Aubrey, Celestial Owl

pre:
HP: 1
AC: 11
Speed: 5 ft, Fly 60ft
Skills: Perception +3, Stealth +3
Senses: darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 13
Flyby: The owl doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy’s reach.
Keen Hearing and Sight: The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
Talons: Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 slashing damage.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Feels like I don't even get to play the game I want to play, and have been nothing but obstructed, gotcha'd, and otherwise hosed and written out of scenes, which I get to passively read even when I try to force you to let me into them.

I read 8 pages for this? The party isn't even a party yet, there's been no intrigue for anyone but Waador, whose apparently 2-way telepathy keeps us all out. It's pointless. I bow out.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
If anyone else cares to react to the DRAGON, please do so soon. I'm going to update in the next 24-48 hours (say, by the end of Tuesday at the latest).

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Blah. This probably won't surprise anyone, but I'm gonna drop out. I said this to Tycho earlier but life got hectic and something had to give.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I know I at least hinted that I'd wait until late Tuesday to update, but the rolls in the aftermath of Haval's attack were too horribawesome not to share immediately.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I think the way this has been rule zero'd sucks.

Before anything else, it is absurd to me that he number of saves is based on the arbitrarily 6 second combat round--which ceases to matter out of combat. I doubt you would stop a game to have a player who fell off a cliff roll initiative then decide how much time it takes to hit the ground to determine whether and how many additional rounds they would get to save themselves.

Multiple saves is rule zero for the purpose of simulationism. Physics. But if we're gonna care about the physics enough to rule zero the amount of times saves it need to fail before impact, it seems unfair to determine terminal velocity arbitrarily rather than attempting to calculate it, right? Since the variables necessary to determine TV can be used for the impact force and pressure for consistency's sake they should also be used to determine damage, rather than the normal rule of 20d6 maximum damage--a rule that actually is really inappropriate for this situation and does calls for rule zero, but I would never say requires all the following calculations to do so.
The part from here on out is the :science: PCs might want to skip to tl;dr.

Since the dragon's weight greatly exceeds a person's, it's terminal velocity is going to be much higher that 150 ft/s. That number is also less than the average (in weight and build) human skydiver's when they maximize their drag via taking the belly position, about 175ft/s. Skydivers who are heavier and bigger, ones who purposefully add weight to their gear, and ones who purposely or accidentally change out of belly position all will have a higher terminal velocity. Also, it takes physical strength, training and "calmness" to hold the belly position--the body will err towards one with less drag. In the fastest position, head or feet first, the average skydiver's terminal velocity nearly triples. On top of that, the variable of air density changes based on layers of the atmosphere, which change based on the size of the planet and the longitude of Sharn and how far above sea level Lyrandar tower. It might matter, probably not.

All that math will change the number of rounds to take no meaningful consequence from falling. Additionally, the square of that velocity, the mass of the dragon, and the material it falls on will determine the impact force, and the area that hits the ground--hopefully not vital-first --will affect the pressure, which will also be orders of magnitude higher than that of a traditional PC.

tl;dr: :sigh: From my perspective it looks like the NPC's are being given as many chances as can be justified, 5-7 so far, to avoid any lasting consequences my rolling exceedingly well and blowing hero points in an attempt to accomplish something impactful. I don't believe that bodes well for me any PC for the rest of the campaign who isn't expecting one to be selectively simulationist and probably railroady.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

slydingdoor posted:

I think the way this has been rule zero'd sucks.
tl;dr: :sigh: From my perspective it looks like the NPC's are being given as many chances as can be justified, 5-7 so far, to avoid any lasting consequences my rolling exceedingly well and blowing hero points in an attempt to accomplish something impactful. I don't believe that bodes well for me any PC for the rest of the campaign who isn't expecting one to be selectively simulationist and probably railroady.

If I really wanted to railroad you and give select NPCs impregnable Plot Armor, I could have chosen from any number of other options, like "No, the dragon had already flown past you by the time you reacted and drew your sword", or "No, it's actually larger than Large so Pushing it is ineffective", or even "No, 'terminal velocity' in D&D is traditionally 300' per round, so of course the dragon will recover sometime in the almost two minutes it has before it his the ground, and there's no need to even bother rolling".

But after our last conversation you really did convince me to be more amenable to the notion of PCs being more badass, even at the relatively low level you currently inhabit. So the possibility of lasting consequences is definitely on the table. For that matter, I'm also willing to consider raising the 20d6 ceiling on falling damage for it, despite it having enormous drag-increasing wings and despite the ambient magic of Sharn, both of which could arguably result in a much lower terminal velocity than normal. In any case, I am willing to let the dice fall where they may.

Speaking of dice: your extremely high Initiative was enough to give you a shot at it, and your extremely high Athletics was effectively insurmountable (since it only has a +4 Str bonus, it would never beat a 25 -- that's part of what Hero Points do for you). But while you are effectively not in combat any more, from its perspective, every action it takes is time-critical, so keeping it in "combat time" seems quite reasonable to me (yes, in fact, I would give a winged PC the same consideration). Do you really think that it should not have multiple chances to recover while falling for an entire mile through a magically buoyant area?

Knocking a dragon from the sky is already pretty badass, and you earned that with your exceptionally good rolls. Do you actually feel cheated because you were nowhere near the ground when you hit it, and therefore may not end up one-shotting it?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

First off, I'm really glad I got the chance to even try this poo poo in the first place, of course. That was awesome, but the way this part was handled feels awful due to dropping a lot on me at once, but not all of it.

I did have a different understanding of the manifest zone. I thought it empowered air magic spells and magic air creatures ie elementals, not everything flight related. Advantage on a falling save makes sense after that.

There are instances of multiple saves to stop one really bad effect: Death saving throws and the last save-or-die, Flesh to Stone. With those, multiple rolls after combat to fully resolve both makes sense and isn't a burden, it's only 5 saves at most, 3 successes before 3 failures. When I see 5 consecutive failed saves with at least one more save on the way, who knows the DC, and assume the resolution mechanic is 1 success before n failures, I say "what?"

Hearing that because of how this works, everyone retroactively has a bunch of combat rounds to do whatever they want--which is likely not much, since no one can even see the the only combat related threat anymore, is weird..

Hearing "if your character could fly and fell off a cliff wouldn't you want to get to make all these saves?" is weird. I think it begs the question, "why is one of the GM's many NPCs as, if not more, important than the only character I get?" Of course I'm attached to my only character and would like them to live forever through every danger, but that doesn't mean asking for permission to roll all those saves wouldn't be weird. If Haval fell out of a pine tree and I asked to get a reflex save for each branch he could possibly grab on the way down, or at least another save because his falling would take more than 6 seconds, and therefore more than one combat rounds, I'd feel dirty. If another player asked for that I'd roll the hell out of my eyes. Hearing that the GM gave themselves permission to make this ruling that enables all these saves for their NPC before that rule ever came up for a PC, basically secretly ruling and rolling behind our backs, feels worse. It's like hearing "you've returned to the castle of the sickly king after finding the magic herb, but I made a house rule to determine how deadly the disease was and rolled such and such saves for him for every sunrise/sundown/midnight/second breakfast/whatnot that passed between the time you left and now. Unfortunately he died 3 second breakfasts after you left."

Next is a probably stupid, skippable metaphor. Any player wants to "win," and for that win to matter. They'll take what they can get and do everything they can to make those things happen, and have greedy expectations when the dice back them up. My cop character, Haval, wants to prove himself to his house, be the best duelist and get this journalist to be less of an rear end in a top hat. He gets one shot to blow out the tire on the terrorist's getaway car, and he makes it. I rolled hot, the enemy rolled garbage, I'm riding high, just waiting to find out what happens. I doze off and dream about how many things they crash into on the way down and the newspaper headline "haval d'orien downs dragon, catches or kills terrorist, seizes such and such contraband" But, I wake up to find out Haval is in the middle of playing Family Feud. It's the final round, the only one that really matters--or it's the penultimate round, and that true final round will be the only one that matters if he manages to win this one. He's won five rounds earlier, while I was asleep, but the terrorist still has the same chance they had to beat Haval before to beat him now, and if he had lost of those previous rounds, he'd be at home, "terrorist escapes" the headline on the newspaper. Then the host says even if he wins this round and maybe the next, true final round, he still has to play the lightning round and win a certain amount of money or go home and wait for that newspaper to show up.

Point is, saying "There was only a 3% chance you'd get this far!" (assuming a 50/50) doesn't really matter when there are still one or two rolls to be made and it's 50% at best that I get what I want. Compare that to, "Oh well, it succeeded on the 5th save that I made behind the screen, but there was only a 3% chance it'd fail that many anyway." It's not very satisfying.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

slydingdoor posted:

I haven't yet read through all the discussion on this subject, but for my own part I think my thoughts on this subject are as follows:

● Whether it's a PC or an NPC, I think a creature should get chances to react so long as they have something useful to do in the situation. In the case of a PC, if they fall off a cliff (or an airship), I agree, you might only get one save, because the only useful thing you could do is not fall off in the first place. Once you're in free-fall you might be screwed, unless you have a spell that helps (feather fall, misty step), or some relevant equipment (a parachute, perhaps a grappling hook and rope). In those cases, the amount of time you spend falling might actually matter.

● In the case of a flying NPC, I think, in general, it probably has opportunity to correct its course, as its ability to fly hasn't changed. So if it takes 10 rounds to fall to the ground, that should give it 10 turns to do something. However, from my perspective, I do think it probably gets significantly harder to do something useful as you fall. In context, I would probably say I'd have expected a DC 10 dexterity check to not fall in the first place, scaling upwards to DC 12, DC 14, DC 16, DC 18, and DC 20 with each successive round that it fails its previous save. At a certain point, if you're a flying creature with a speed of 30', or 40', or even 60' per round, that isn't actually enough to correct for the downward vertical thrust you've already achieved. The fact that the flying mount failed six saves in a row and is now travelling down at a rate of 900' per round (which is 102 miles per hour) really doesn't bode well for it.

● As for our current situation, I think how far he is falling (and has to fall) probably does matter. If he failed 6 saves, but still had 30 rounds to fall, that would provide a lot of time to bleed off speed before he impacts by gliding. As I understand it, he has fallen 4050' feet, achieved a downward speed of 102 miles per hour, and has another thousand or so feet to fall. Even if he rolls a 25 on his final save, you can't safely bleed off 102mph of speed in 6 seconds, so the final rolls are probably really only going to reduce the damage he takes, if anything, rather than allow him to fly off into the sunset unharmed. I might be wrong about that, or underestimating the levers that the former rider has to pull with regard to feather fall and such, but if we're talking purely from a physics perspective that seems likely where we will end up.

I don't really have a horse in this race one way or another, as I just wanted to be an rear end in a top hat to an NPC, and got precisely what I was looking for out of this. The issue, though, which I think is probably fair, is that the mechanics of what is happening aren't clear. We as players don't know (and perhaps don't really need to know, but apparently would like to know) whether the save DC's are getting harder, or what the ramifications of a successful save would be, so there is admittedly an appearance that it's a bunch of rolls to give the plucky dragon a chance, so I can see why sly wouldn't love that impression after rolling hot.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Sorry for the delay in posting, but I honestly just could not think of a reason why Elizara would be interested in pursuing a random dragon attack. As a player, I'm fine with running after random monsters, but Ella's got no skin in that game.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 10, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you asking for suggestions as to why she'd want to follow? Might help you come up with something so you can post faster and be happier and such.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sorry for the delay in posting, but I honestly just could not think of a reason why Elizara would be interested in pursuing a random dragon attack. As a player, I'm fine with running after random monsters, but Ella's got no skin in that game.

Yeah, that is reasonable. We're discussing various ideas in #tenmanraid currently, so give it some time (and/or join in) to see what we can come up with. But at the end of the day if none of the ideas would be convincing for Elizara in-game, then she is welcome to bail. Though she doesn't have a ride at present, and can't fly a ship herself, so she'd be stuck walking -- the most direct route to get back up to the city is through the sewers. Which, come to think of it, could work with just fine as a choice for Elizara, since there's bound to be something interesting happening in the sewers too. The only thing that doesn't do is help out Bastion and Haval while they are facing the dragon. But I'm also working on that.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

That reminds me. Logs of of Haval backstory stuff from #tenmanraid, so I don't have to go digging for it again: http://pastebin.com/pUdfVgxY

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I don't mean to be an insufferable dick toward Nebra; it does seem natural to me that people would underestimate her on the regular, however. I'm expecting that she'll be able to use that error to her advantage when the time is right...

On an unrelated note, Reava and Celio are still around, so if things get violent, it won't be just Bastion, Elizara, and Haval fighting the dragon -- unless you want it to be, I guess. I generally don't want to foreground NPCs, but I also don't want to hamstring the rest of the part because of the players that have bowed out during the ongoing action.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

(6:44:27 PM) TychoBrahesNose: slydingdoor, are you planning to attack, or are you going to wait to see if Bastion can “tame” the thing? Delaying your action until after his resolves is fine
(7:15:03 PM) slydingdoor: i'm thinking haval will be captain america and assume bastion is red skull
(7:15:08 PM) slydingdoor: trying to mount the dragon himself
(7:15:15 PM) slydingdoor: or maybe that he IS the disguise self lady
(7:15:21 PM) slydingdoor: for all he knows

He's gonna attack it. Not wait for some strange weirdo that it isn't trying to kill to start messing around with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

slydingdoor posted:

(6:44:27 PM) TychoBrahesNose: slydingdoor, are you planning to attack, or are you going to wait to see if Bastion can “tame” the thing? Delaying your action until after his resolves is fine
(7:15:03 PM) slydingdoor: i'm thinking haval will be captain america and assume bastion is red skull
(7:15:08 PM) slydingdoor: trying to mount the dragon himself
(7:15:15 PM) slydingdoor: or maybe that he IS the disguise self lady
(7:15:21 PM) slydingdoor: for all he knows

He's gonna attack it. Not wait for some strange weirdo that it isn't trying to kill to start messing around with it.

Ha ha ha! Mistaken identify hijinks like that could be kind of hilarious, if also a bit unfortunate. In any case, I'm hoping to update in the next 48 hours. If any of you who haven't posted yet (including slydingdoor, but also epicurius and Ryuujin) would like to act in the current "round", please post ASAP.

• Locked thread