Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The Merry Marauder posted:

"Not dead, but unable to fight in the week+ this game covers" seems like a reasonable category.

It would give moral satisfaction, that's what it would do. I love it when games have more states for soldiers than "fighting" or "dead".

"Somewhat limping while firing inaccurately" doesn't count, you RTS "golden" age holdover relics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Technically it seems as though the game actually has about five or so states I think judging by the post-battle stats screen: Healthy, Lightly Wounded (Yellow Cross), Heavily Wounded (Two Orange (?) Crosses), Incapacitated (Red Cross) and Dead (KIA). Not sure how they determine between Light, Heavy and Incapped in terms of being wounded in battles though.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Triple A posted:

I think it's a fairly lazy manner of modeling them. You could have some amount of people being rotated back into the fight after anywhere from few hours to many months.

The problem here, is that Operation Market Garden was over in about 10 days if i remember right. Wounded and back at the hospital is effectively the same as dead as far as your fighting force goes.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Jade Star posted:

The problem here, is that Operation Market Garden was over in about 10 days if i remember right. Wounded and back at the hospital is effectively the same as dead as far as your fighting force goes.

The Merry Marauder posted:

"Not dead, but unable to fight in the week+ this game covers" seems like a reasonable category.

Yeah I think you might be bang on here. It's possible in something like CC:IV which covers the Bulge that it makes a difference, but probably not here.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Jade Star posted:

It depends. The 1st British Paras, for example would have to get some wounded people back to the front line due to their isolated position while Germans don't have that problem. Someone who was simply knocked unconscious by a piece of shrapnel hitting their helmet at 6 AM might be on his feet by 6 PM. Of course, this all relies on about a million variables from the quality of the medical staff to the amount of supplies left to the overall urgency of the situation.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Triple A posted:

It depends. The 1st British Paras, for example would have to get some wounded people back to the front line due to their isolated position while Germans don't have that problem. Someone who was simply knocked unconscious by a piece of shrapnel hitting their helmet at 6 AM might be on his feet by 6 PM. Of course, this all relies on about a million variables from the quality of the medical staff to the amount of supplies left to the overall urgency of the situation.

Was that part of the movie about heatshotted captain surviving true?

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

New update now available!

The XXX Corps train slowly gets rolling northwards and further German attacks threaten key sectors...

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
IIRC the way to get tanks to reverse consistently is to issue the order as "sneak" or else micromanage the move order so the dot is only a few meters behind them. Otherwise they'll turn around and expose their sides and rear like idiots.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

EvanSchenck posted:

IIRC the way to get tanks to reverse consistently is to issue the order as "sneak" or else micromanage the move order so the dot is only a few meters behind them. Otherwise they'll turn around and expose their sides and rear like idiots.

Yeah I know that ordering them to move literally directly backwards does it 9 times out of 10, the problem is doing it whilst under fire and trying to manage 6 other tanks. To be fair if they drive like that they deserve to get blown up.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

More than a dash of heroism in today's episode...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

INinja132 posted:

drat, I'm two episodes behind now.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

JcDent posted:

Was that part of the movie about heatshotted captain surviving true?

There have been plenty of incidents where people have been mistaken for dead, so possibly?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

INinja132 posted:

that airstrike :stare::hf::britain:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm curious about something. What settings did you use at game creation? You seem to have way more points to purchase and reorganize your units than I do on the default grand campaign start.

edit: wow the start of the second fight. So deployment rules are really simple when you look at the map. There are light areas, where you can deploy. Grayish/medium tinted areas where no one gets to deploy. And the fully darkened/tinted areas, which are where the enemy can deploy. I don't know WHY the map was only giving you tiny deployment areas around your capture points, but everything else was the dark shade which meant the germans could have, and did, deploy pretty much where ever they felt like and not necessarily close by the roads that lead into the map and were their starting capture points.

Picture for clarity

Inside the green is your deploy zone. Between Green and yellow is neutral zone. And everything outside of the yellow is potential enemy deploy zone.
The Orange is there because there were some map squares that were your deploy zone, but bordered enemy deploy zone too, no neutral zone buffer. That is pretty rare, but I've seen it happen enough.

So yeah, looking at the map you realize just how much of anywhere the ai felt like it the germans could have deployed.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 11, 2015

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Jade Star posted:

I'm curious about something. What settings did you use at game creation? You seem to have way more points to purchase and reorganize your units than I do on the default grand campaign start.

I just used the default settings, I didn't change anything.

Jade Star posted:

So yeah, looking at the map you realize just how much of anywhere the ai felt like it the germans could have deployed.

The main thing that annoys me is that it isn't clear which side of the river they're allowed to set up on. If your units arrive from one side they have to deploy on that side, but there's no way to tell where the Germans were arriving from. I did notice whilst editing that there was that small gap between the top and bridge capture points that they could deploy through. Guess I need to start paying a bit more attention to that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Took me this long to realize that LW means Luftwaffle, not Late War :(

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I got to the part where those german tanks show up in the south and ouch... Starting to wonder if I have a different patch version or something from you. I liked your strategy and placement to deal with them and tried to replicate it myself but with no luck. I lost 2 shermans and 3 cromwells to kill the three (i think they were panthers, right?) german tanks. It wasn't just bad luck or execution though, when I told my tanks to fire on the german tanks they'd refuse orders with a message like 'Can't hurt that target'. So they sat there and got shot to pieces. At least they provided distraction long enough that the Firefly was able to blow up the enemy tanks.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Jade Star posted:

I got to the part where those german tanks show up in the south and ouch... Starting to wonder if I have a different patch version or something from you. I liked your strategy and placement to deal with them and tried to replicate it myself but with no luck. I lost 2 shermans and 3 cromwells to kill the three (i think they were panthers, right?) german tanks. It wasn't just bad luck or execution though, when I told my tanks to fire on the german tanks they'd refuse orders with a message like 'Can't hurt that target'. So they sat there and got shot to pieces. At least they provided distraction long enough that the Firefly was able to blow up the enemy tanks.

I'm still a bit surprised at how well that worked for me in honesty. I think it was probably because the Germans kept putting their side armour against me when they drove down that road, so the angles were favourable even for the little Shermans. Any tougher shots the Firefly could deal with so it all worked out. I'm surprised your casualties were that high I must admit, seems a bit unlucky.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

A nice gentle part for lunchtime...

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
"KM" is indeed Kriegsmarine, and as I recall, those ersatz troops were an ad hoc collection of warm bodies from the Dutch coastal defenses with NCOs from SS or Heer units, presumably to show them from which end the bullets come out.

Good job on the rail bridge. Spot of luck you had a fight there without armor so you can secure the goofy spawns.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Take your average matrose and tell him "Ze tommies have landed in Arnhem, grab zis gehwer and board ze train."

He won't be pleased that his cosy job as a binocular and eyeball mark 1 operator in some outpost just got replaced with emergency reserve work.

Triple A fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 15, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Gentle for us. For the Germans? Not so much.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The MG42 is still ridiculous. Whenever I hear it, I get stressed - and I'm not even playing the game.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

JcDent posted:

The MG42 is still ridiculous. Whenever I hear it, I get stressed - and I'm not even playing the game.

Now you understand why the Germans rely on their machineguns so much.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Karma swings around and punches us square in the face this episode.

I also had the rather strange experience of playing this part exactly 71 years after it was fought in real life to the hour. Games are weird.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
They do actually collect ammo, but only when they have run out of it completely.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Figures Eastwood would run out of ammo, wastefully double-fisting like that. This is Holland, not Hong Kong!!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Egads! I've been squashed!

If you can forgive me for this terrible, trauma-induced reaction to the news, I would love a chance to avenge my fallen team. Probably bring a machine gun this time.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 19, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

:frogbon:

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

If you can forgive me for this terrible, trauma-induced reaction to the news, I would love a chance to avenge my fallen team. Probably bring a machine gun this time.

Of course! You will have to come up with a new name though I'm afraid (for continuity reasons of course).

On this subject considering this previous episode we're actually running a little short on named units, so if anyone wants to contribute a couple of extra names, I'm all ears.

e: actually we still have a fair amount of named teams but more are always welcome!

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Thinking of names is fairly easy. Just think like a bored corporal with some time on his hands.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

With the untimely demise of Tacocat, I'm gonna request a .50cal HMG team named "Mother Deuce" as well as a 105mm Howitzer named "The Rebalancer". Hopefully these units will be much, much more useful and effective.

Time for the big guns. :coolfish:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 19, 2015

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Have Vickers teams named "Cordite-powered Kettle" and "From Somme, with love".

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Two things I have learned from this LP so far; one, I am definitely running a different patch version from ininja, and two, ininja made the very correct decision to select the shortest battle duration (15 minutes) and fastest game speed. I selected 20 minutes and normal game speed, this was a mistake. My game speed is about 2:1 real time to game time, so my 20 minute timer becomes 40, and the action moves at half speed. This really, really blows on maps where there is a lot of ground to cross. It feels like it takes an hour to move a unit 100 meters or more. I really wish I could change these settings after starting the game, but I don't think I can, and now I'm wondering if I persevere or restart with less glacial time settings.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

I actually used to play on a longer time setting because it felt weird to me that the battle would arbitrarily end after a certain amount of time, but actually I've rather come to appreciate it in this playthrough, makes it a lot snappier I think. And in terms of the game speed, I'm not 100% but I think if you change it in the options on the main menu then it will affect in-progress campaigns. Not super sure on this though.

Also for reference I'm on version 5.60.53.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That Panther was straight up teasing my lot.

"Oh, I've turned my barely covered sides to you, you big boys. You're gonna do such terrible things to poor old me, aren't you? Good heavens, I here's my even less protected backside! Surely there's nothing I can do against you two... SYKE! Eat Pzgr. 39/42, Tommy shweinhunds!"

I want a command Cromvel named "Spotted Dick" to replace them.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Don't even get me started...

I'm on holiday for the next two weeks or so, so there probably won't be a part this week or next week (or if there is it won't be til Friday). In the meantime, I'd recommend maybe giving a Close Combat game a go if you haven't already (they're all available over here) or checking out some of the stuff on the reading list in the OP.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I bought It Never Snows in September (Kindle version), and while it was a really nice and interesting read, it really could have used some proofreading. The typos in the latter half of the book were appalling.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Well, when you get back, re-dwarf me as a replacement for that sniper what done bit the dust, with the name The Man from P.U.M.P.K.I.N.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

A nice bite-sized episode after my return from holidays. A nice bit of payback for the Germans as well.

• Locked thread