Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

More tank names:

Tank Me to Church
Fish Tank
Don't Tread on Me
Tanks But no Tanks
Turrets Syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

New update now available!

The Arnhem slapping fight continues...

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Wow, the Brits are getting hit hard! Are you worried you won't make it in time? I mean, the Poles are still a couple of turns away and even then they'd still have to reach Arnhem, while the Brits in Arnhem desperately need reinforcements.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Very much so. We've got another brigade coming in next turn to support (assuming they aren't intercepted) so that should help. Technically they're only actually holding the buffer area at the moment, so even if the Germans do manage to win, they'll have to actually take the bridge itself. So, yeah I am kinda worried but reckon that we stand a reasonable chance of saving them.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I mentioned this before your vacation but would it be possible to see some of the bigger guns in action? Specifically the US .50 HMG team and maybe a 105mm howitzer? :getin:

vvv :hfive: vvv

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 11, 2015

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Yeah, sorry I forgot but I'll try to get a couple of them in action as soon as I can. Unfortunately we can only do it at the whim of the in-game brigades, so it often isn't possible, but I will try.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

oscarthewilde posted:

Wow, the Brits are getting hit hard! Are you worried you won't make it in time? I mean, the Poles are still a couple of turns away and even then they'd still have to reach Arnhem, while the Brits in Arnhem desperately need reinforcements.

Welcome to Operation Market Garden. The entire OP relies on the British paras fighting it out like a bunch of Gurkhas.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
MG42 OP!

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Men are killed, bridges explode and crashes are experienced. Just another night in Close Combat Land.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Jesus, that was a brutal fight in Grave for the germans.

Also a good, albeit annoyingly brief, debut for The Rebalancer. :getin: Keep up the good work, iNinja, these updates are always an entertaining treat. :)

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 14, 2015

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
The kraut paras you faced most certainly have plenty of élan, in spite of their ridiculous losses. Probably because of their experience in the fire brigade role in the eastern front.

While we are at it, have a sapper unit named Gravediggers.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Wow, that bridge. Didn't know they could do that so fast.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Can I get a Sherman Firefly? Call it Big drat Hero.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I love this game, but it infuriates me to a hellish degree.
For instance, i don't get why the Brit Para Bren squad is cheaper than the ordinary Para Rifles squad.
And every single time i try to reposition a MG, i check the line of sight and while it's all right the actual MG has set up in the wrong god drat way and instead of firing it's no target, crawling, setting up, no target, moving, pinned, incapacitated :argh:

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

A very effective end to the night turn for the British airborne.

Illegal Username posted:

I love this game, but it infuriates me to a hellish degree.
And every single time i try to reposition a MG, i check the line of sight and while it's all right the actual MG has set up in the wrong god drat way and instead of firing it's no target, crawling, setting up, no target, moving, pinned, incapacitated :argh:

Probably around 75% of cut material from the videos is me getting irate about mortars and MGs not setting up properly. Just another of the "wonderful" design decisions made in Close Combat.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The key to proper MG use is get them set up somewhere good and then never move them. Let the rifles move and do things, MG stays put and watches over a kill zone.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Jade Star posted:

The key to proper MG use is get them set up somewhere good and then never move them. Let the rifles move and do things, MG stays put and watches over a kill zone.

But sometimes the line of sight is shown from Random Assistant #445 instead of the actual gunner, and sometimes even if you look at the individual soldiers to see who the gunner is, you can't make him take a good position because of how the snap-to-cover works.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Hopefully they improve these things in The Bloody First.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Lee Marvin will just execute any blowtops who can't get the MG set up properly.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Since we're getting closer to the Polish reinforcement, how about we name a mortar "From Warsaw, With Love."

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

The early morning battles see some losses on either side, and we say goodbye forever to some more named units.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
You've got to love the moxie of that German tank commander, just sort of driving around the wrecks of the last two platoons to try that.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Some exciting battles to close out the 6 A.M. turn.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

4 updates behind, sigh...

By the way, what the hell are the British shouting in that one long horrible deathcry?

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

The Merry Marauder posted:

You've got to love the moxie of that German tank commander, just sort of driving around the wrecks of the last two platoons to try that.

"They'll never expect us to do the same thing a third time!

JcDent posted:

By the way, what the hell are the British shouting in that one long horrible deathcry?

Time + video reference so I can see if I can puzzle it out? I think I might know what you mean and I think it's just "AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!"

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

That Arnhem defense was amazing. Behold the power of the Vickers. :getin:

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

We capture another (essentially useless) bridge!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Those guys need to rig tow cables and clear those wrecks off the Hoekstraat; all those wrecks are practically a Dead Panther Fort at this point.

I like to think that the first fifty supply trucks up the highway are loaded exclusively with mortar ammo, though naturally it will be berets and bayonets or something.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

If you lacked units around Arnhem is it better to try and rally them all to the bridge, or hold the supply point and attempt a breakout from there? It seems like the latter is better but it's a bit unclear to me how reinforcements/supply work in that zone.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Kangra posted:

If you lacked units around Arnhem is it better to try and rally them all to the bridge, or hold the supply point and attempt a breakout from there? It seems like the latter is better but it's a bit unclear to me how reinforcements/supply work in that zone.

Whilst generally speaking you're right, the latter would be better, it's not really the best play in this game (I don't think anyway). If the Germans regain control of the bridge they can wire it again, which could make things even worse in the long term. Also we want to be defending against enemy armour because we want our guys to be hiding, ready to ambush them when they drive past. So essentially until XXX Corps arrives we're stuck on that bridge.

Also if we surrender the bridge that lets them concentrate all of their forces against our supply zones, and eventually they'll win that by attriting us down.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It looks like you managed to capture the northernmost of those 4 bridges outside Nimegen intact, that's good news. That should speed up the advance a bit, right?

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Yvonmukluk posted:

It looks like you managed to capture the northernmost of those 4 bridges outside Nimegen intact, that's good news. That should speed up the advance a bit, right?

I'm actually not super convinced it will do unfortunately. I think because of the route we've taken to this point it basically doesn't make a huge difference because we got that one of the Southern part. It's always nice to have a backup bridge though!

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

The tenacious British defence continues.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Good fights. I'm a little concerned the Germans might be able to deploy MG42s into the buildings around Urquhart's House and along the tracks, rather than a front-line mortar team for some reason, and just outmatch your firepower.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

We absolutely smash through the noon turn, wrecking German (and Dutch) formations left and right.

(Audio's a bit screwed up in this video, not sure why but hopefully it's not too distracting)

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Usually Mortar Jesus taketh, but today Mortar Jesus delivered.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Things I've learned; Never bee a squad leader under Ininja. That almost guarantees death.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
:cryingmachinegun:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Did that one guy really get an Iron Cross three times over? :magical:

Can I get some context? Surely those are the cumulative kills and not one battle...

edit: Oh, Longest Day - I'm guessing those MGs were on the beaches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arelon posted:

:cryingmachinegun:

Gott im Himmel! :monocle:

EDIT: I'd really like to know how the game calculates kills and gives them to loaders, assisstants and other people not doing actual shooting

• Locked thread