Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

TehKeen posted:

Did that one guy really get an Iron Cross three times over? :magical:

Can I get some context? Surely those are the cumulative kills and not one battle...

edit: Oh, Longest Day - I'm guessing those MGs were on the beaches?

Yeah, cumulative kills from the beaches, but only from a few battles, these are extremely fragile battle groups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

New update now available!

XXX Corps arrives at Nijmegen

INinja132 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 17, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Will there be any northern armor? It doesn't do the computer any good at all to have them all up against yours.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I never really understood what cohesion does in the game. I mean it sounds like a good thing to have a full meter of, but whats it actually do?

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

wiegieman posted:

Will there be any northern armor? It doesn't do the computer any good at all to have them all up against yours.

There's actually some up there still at the moment (a whole Stug brigade I believe), but the AI seems reluctant to trade out battlegroups, so not sure whether we'll actually see it in combat before XXX Corps arrives.

Jade Star posted:

I never really understood what cohesion does in the game. I mean it sounds like a good thing to have a full meter of, but whats it actually do?

According to the manual, it sort of represents the overall morale of your battle groups (which I suspected) and it also reduces the amount of points that unit has to reinforce with (which I didn't).

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know if you're doing it just for the LP, but you can reduce the "where's my mortar?" moments by Ctrl-grouping them to a number.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

I literally did not know this game had control grouping in it to be honest. I'll try to remember that next time I record, could be useful.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

INinja132 posted:

We absolutely smash through the noon turn, wrecking German (and Dutch) formations left and right.

(Audio's a bit screwed up in this video, not sure why but hopefully it's not too distracting)

Well, he's no Zaitsev, but T.M.f.P.U.M.P.K.I.N. isn't the least useful sniper out there.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

By all counts this episode's a slaughterfest.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Mini D-Day could have gone much worse. But I actually think the weird charge the Germans pulled at the end could have made sense, if they weren't aware of the MG, or just how many troops you had there. Which probably, it could be said they didn't, because the MG did gently caress all, and the mortar basically just announced it's presence there, where it was now likely isolated and vulnerable. From the German perspective, you sent your army up the gully, and lost a ton of them in process. Wiping out their support and cutting off the remnant was a pretty good idea.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Mini D-Day could have gone much worse. But I actually think the weird charge the Germans pulled at the end could have made sense, if they weren't aware of the MG, or just how many troops you had there. Which probably, it could be said they didn't, because the MG did gently caress all, and the mortar basically just announced it's presence there, where it was now likely isolated and vulnerable. From the German perspective, you sent your army up the gully, and lost a ton of them in process. Wiping out their support and cutting off the remnant was a pretty good idea.

Yeah I actually hypothesised a similar theory in a bit of cut commentary, but I'm still not super sure. They' should've known that I still have multiple command squads left. To be fair the amount of times I've been like "Christ, they still have so many squads left" I suppose the AI's allowed to do it too.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

XXX Corps launches its assault on Nijmegen, and we lose a great hero...

Also! I've done some checking and turns out we have waaaaaaaaaaay more dead people than I thought. I've updated the list in the OP but needless to say casualties have been heavy. It would also appear that a few units have been taken out of battlegroups by the system and not by me, hence their listing as "MIA". Total BS I know but welcome to Close Combat.

INinja132 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 17, 2015

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
RIP me :(

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Will you be re-adding the MIA's at some point? Seems weird that an entire tank would just vanish like that.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Is it? I mean, if it was damaged too much to be useful on the line...not much point in keeping track of a tank in a repair depot.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Will you be re-adding the MIA's at some point? Seems weird that an entire tank would just vanish like that.

Yeah I guess I probably will, haven't entirely decided yet. I think at least a couple of them were because at a certain casualty threshold the unit is just removed which would be a legit reason, but the game just doesn't tell you when that happens. If anyone particularly wants their team back in let me know, I have no real issue with it.

e: well Merry Marauder posted half a second before me. Basically if you want it back then that's fine by me, otherwise I'll probably leave them out.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

The Merry Marauder posted:

Is it? I mean, if it was damaged too much to be useful on the line...not much point in keeping track of a tank in a repair depot.

I guess that makes sense. I suppose if it was a bad enough hit to wound or kill crew, it was probably bad enough to wound the tank itself. It's been so long since I've played one of these, I forgot that tanks can be more than immobilized, stuck, or dead.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I want two more Cromwell tanks, Lobster and Cavalier. Been listening to Revolutions podcast lately.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

INinja132 posted:

XXX Corps launches its assault on Nijmegen, and we lose a great hero...

Also! I've done some checking and turns out we have waaaaaaaaaaay more dead people than I thought. I've updated the list in the OP but needless to say casualties have been heavy. It would also appear that a few units have been taken out of battlegroups by the system and not by me, hence their listing as "MIA". Total BS I know but welcome to Close Combat.

RIP my tank (temporarily).

Anyway, when are the Polish Airborne making an appearance to reinforce Arnhem?

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

15:00 on the 21st (so the next full day basically - about 9 turns still)

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Huge casualties on both sides (but mostly the Germans) in the early morning.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Fff I'm at work for the next 5 hours

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Do you suppose there's a reason why MGs and Mortars are seemingly never set up at the start? It's kinda nuts.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Probably because the game is totally broken in many ways. I'm sure "technically" it's all part of the code or whatever, and there's a reason for it happening, it's just stupid that it does, there should be different rules for setup.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I'm not sure but I think putting the squads on Ambush instead of Defense guarantees both being set up and - if available - trenches.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

The trenches thing I've got figured out now. Basically if any of the members of a squad are in Good or better cover, no trench, but if they aren't it puts them all in one. It also seems weird to me that being on ambush or defend would make a difference. I'll try it out next part just in case though.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Sectors are cleared left and right as the Allies steamroll towards victory.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

For the screams I mentioned: HERE

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Aha, "Can't get a shot, I'm trying! I'm trying!" is what he's saying (if that is what you're referring to)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

INinja132 posted:

Aha, "Can't get a shot, I'm trying! I'm trying!" is what he's saying (if that is what you're referring to)

Yep. Seems a little dramatic, now that you've translated it.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Hahah, that cromwell koolaid-manning through the wall. :allears:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 24, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I predict Sgt. Mustard in that Sherman has a bright officer's career ahead of him.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's good to know that lines of sight in Close Combat are still complete bullshit. Some things never change.

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008
I love how the terrain damage to West Arnhem persists and accumulates between fights. So many craters.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Glowing Red Sign posted:

I love how the terrain damage to West Arnhem persists and accumulates between fights. So many craters.

St. Elizabeth's has seen better days, for sure. Although, I do wonder happens to all the dead Germans between skirmishes.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

St. Elizabeth's has seen better days, for sure. Although, I do wonder happens to all the dead Germans between skirmishes.

Medics collect them once things quiet down. This being the western front, combat medics with clear insignia on both sides can do their jobs without being interrupted by snipers or any other active hazards.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

What you say makes a lot of sense.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Another quick one as the remnants of the German forces in the centre are dealt with. The road to Arnhem lies open!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I feel like those half-dozen or so Germans that held up an armored column were laying out a picnic in the field, and, I mean, it would be rude not to stop, right?

Re: the hidden Germans on Ginkel Heath, I expect this is your culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Y'know, seeing the term 'military science' made me think - are there any resources out there for learning real-world military tactics (at least, as they were in the 40s)? Good textbooks, etc? I imagine the only classes that you could take are pretty much exclusive to West Point. :v:

• Locked thread