Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Some dude loving pushed me while I was taking a piss. WTF?! I didn't even loving know him. I smacked my head against the wall while trying not to spray pee everywhere. So I acted meek, finished up, pretended to leave, snuck back and pushed him while HE pissed. Bwahahaha. Then there was a short fistfight. Later during the day I was taken to the office. Despite being a big scary bully, the pantywaste ratted me out. Again, WTF. He didn't even know me. He had to point me out during lunch. Other kids started poo poo with me sometimes, but he was the biggest fuckin pussy about it. He sucked rear end at fighting but I remember this attack pissing me off most. It offended my sense of fair play and middle school valor.

I was like 90 pounds sopping wet so I had a lot more literal fights. Makes you kinda a target and I never stood for people giving me poo poo. But my folks had my back as long as I didn't strike first, and I was a martial arts kid so I was physically safe. Got a few bruises, head locked once... Kids that age don't know how to fight real anyway. The biggest frustration was the admin's response to my self-defense. They kept giving me detention for it. It felt like they wanted me to take poo poo from other kids like a little wuss and there was no way in hell I could do that. In retrospect, it was good training for dealing with giant, uncaring retarded institutions later in life. Now I'm a corporate drone and dealing with my upper tier bosses is exactly like dealing with a middle school principal.

Advice for the kid: have it worked out with your folks how you are expected to respond to attempted bullying. Then, when poo poo does go down, you'll have the comfort of knowing that you reacted properly, in what your folks agree is the ultimately correct and necessary way. Try not to stress too much over the idiots and jerks. Tough advice to take in middle school to be sure, but try anyway. None of those people is ultimately meaningful in your life except for maybe as a seed of a personal anecdote. Besides everyone chills out by high school. Just try not to kill anybody till then and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

PT6A posted:

In Grade 6, I mainly remember getting into a bunch of stupid fights about dumb poo poo. I never really got into actual fights before or after that year, but I guess I was just full of piss and vinegar for that grade.

That's what makes it obnoxious, everyone is in that same lovely awkward phase of life which apparently just makes humans super salty. And goddamn, you care so much about that meaningless bs. Looking at it from the outside its laughable, but from ground level its deadly serious.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I love these little moments in the 100% unanimous stories of being a victim who was picked on for no reason by a faceless cloud of bullies who certainly never grew up to buy forums accounts where a little nugget of unpolished history shines through

Not surprising. There are a few ways one can respond when targeted for whatever reason. Push back, retreat, or attempt to ingratiate yourself. Most kids will pick the first option, egos being what they are at that age. Only the biggest wusses can stand getting dumped on without blowing their top eventually.

Despite it having the tang of indiscretions of youth, I can't condemn kids for defending themselves. You can't let people walk all over you, especially when it comes to physical intimidation or violence. And hey, it loving works. Beat down enough asshats and the word starts getting around that you don't put up with poo poo. It won't stop your old enemies from loving with you but it sure as hell prevents new ones from stalking into the scene.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

thrakkorzog posted:

Middle school really does a mindfuck on people that makes them properly paranoid.

Once I hit High School, I had a minor altercation with a QB. A teacher caught us fighting and we both just claimed it was harmless rassling.

I had detention, so I missed my bus ride home. Some football players going home from practice offered to give me a lift home, and I gave them a double finger salute. Once we exchanged notes it turned out I was kind of the rear end in a top hat.

Haha. Myself, I never started anything but when people started talking poo poo to me, I talked so much poo poo back they almost had to act. Definitely an rear end in a top hat move. It was so rewarding, though. My friends older brother came up with all these butt-related insults. That was a real popular way to piss people off, then. They were pretty good too. Anal avenger, rectal ranger, that kind of thing. Oh and my favorite, flying butt pirate. It really does flow off the tongue.

By high school, for me, everyone was already pretty chilled out though. I went to a public joint that was academically rigorous, and which had really good clubs. Band, football, debate, theater arts, all those kinda things were top quality and high in UIL ranks. Everyone who had a deece extracurricular was too busy getting treated like made men to start any bullshit. The admin was all about keeping that UIL and other tourney prestige up, so kids in clubs got a ton of special privledges.

By sophomore year I was in a series of programming classes that lasted through the rest of my time there, with literally the biggest superjock from my middle school. And I was a nerdy as hell debate kid. He was from a super rich family that had like 14 kids all named names starting with the same letter, and all the ones that had been through before him were also megajocks. So he got treated like a loving Kennedy or Carnegie as well as being the best qb and ended up with a giant head. But by the time we were in that first programming class he was chill, and cool by my standards as well as by his own. And that was the rule not the exception. Even our grunge/punk kids, which were what we had instead of an emo crowd, got along with all the other cliques. In fact they were a nexus of activity. They had the best weed, of course, but more importantly club kids tended to eat in the clubrooms which was a privledge but could get old, so going to eat with them outside and playing hacky sack or whatever was something that a lot of kids did occasionally.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that middle school sucked and then abruptly high school owned. There was a sudden break toward civilized behavior. I guess we'd all gotten the lord of the flies out of our systems. And I swear to god, I don't blame anyone for that poo poo. I was batshit as the rest of them. Little monkeys gonna throw poo poo at each other when not properly contained and supervised. It is what it is. People don't develop that "hmmm maybe I don't give a gently caress" mentality till a little later or till they have something vaguely important to do.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

LOL. Lucky you weren't reading Chaucer the poor girl might have killed herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

My high school coding teacher was completely insane, and had gotten her training back in the 70s coding in Fortran. I always wondered if those two facts were related. Ultimately I decided it was probable, since Fortan is one of those old, utterly incomprehensible evils like what Lovecraft enjoyed writing about.

• Locked thread