Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Riven posted:

Unless the adults know exactly where those boundaries are and how to enforce them, things will go to poo poo. Quickly.
I've found that this generation of parents is more likely to see the teacher as an incompetent fuckwad and try to undermine their attempts at discipline, than to work with them to better their child.

"Yes, I understand he hasn't turned in any work these last two months... but when he gets home he starts playing his Xbox One Minecraft and says he has no homework, so maybe you need to do a better job of making sure he remembers there's homework."

This makes things harder to keep locked down because it imbues the little shits with an air of invulnerability and entitlement.

Also, the newest hip thing is Restorative Justice for students... which I can understand to be a powerful thing for high schoolers, but good luck getting 8th graders to be self reflective or empathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kitsunegari posted:

poo poo English teachers telling more than one person in here that reading shouldn't be fun, jfc I know the screening/hiring/interviewing process isn't perfect but these people must lie really well to get their jobs.
This is the part where everyone's reminded about that whole business where teachers were concerned kids were voraciously reading the first 2-3 Harry Potter books in the early 00s.

"Yeah they're reading... but why do they have to read THAT" kind of talk.

• Locked thread