Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Week 1 parlay wager paying off :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
-Every year this thread is swarmed with people who act like teams with winning home records are a mortal lock to lose at home, and/or teams with bad road records are a mortal lock to win on the road. Ah, week 1...

-re: "saving" the Packers: It makes no sense to 'save' a team if they're the only pick you're comfortable making. Week 1 was awful for choices; it's not as though the Steelers are ever an easy out, and most of the bad teams were at home. None of the top 4 picks had an easy win.

-Saints/Bucs seems like the only truly easy pick next week. I could understand saving the Saints for later, since they also host the Titans and Jags later in the season, but there's a serious dearth of options. Browns looked good on paper at the start of the year but certainly don't now, and once again most of the awful teams (Washington, Oakland, Jags) are at home, where they have a 20-40% chance to win.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

You don't have the look is all you had to say

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Ditch posted:

-Saints/Bucs seems like the only truly easy pick next week. I could understand saving the Saints for later, since they also host the Titans and Jags later in the season, but there's a serious dearth of options. Browns looked good on paper at the start of the year but certainly don't now, and once again most of the awful teams (Washington, Oakland, Jags) are at home, where they have a 20-40% chance to win.

While the Bucs looked bad this week, they're still a pretty big question mark with a rookie QB. Stuff like penalties are also going to be something that coaching is going to go after, so I don't really know that we can assume week 2 is going to be as bad as week 1 for them. Plus, it's not like the Saints looked super great this week. Watching Carson Palmer evade 3 rushers and drop a screen for a TD or the entire defense get outrun by 400 year old Larry Fitzgerald doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I also don't know how you can say that homefield is really some kind of huge advantage for Jacksonville, playing against Miami.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo I'm 13-1 in pickem. If I win both games tonight that's by far the best I've ever done in a week of that.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Forgot about funbucks until today:

:pray:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Your over bet isn't looking good

Welp glad I switched off the Vikings in eliminator

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Holy poo poo I'm 13-1 in pickem. If I win both games tonight that's by far the best I've ever done in a week of that.

....and 13-3. I should have gone and made moneyline bets against my picks immediately after making this post because it was guaranteed to happen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Intruder posted:

I switched from the Vikings to the Packers, hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end

You lucky bastard. :c00l:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
lol gently caress you eagles

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol if didn't go full homer

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You lucky bastard. :c00l:

No poo poo lol

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Intruder posted:

Your over bet isn't looking good

Welp glad I switched off the Vikings in eliminator

I didn't think 40 points was that high. Apparently it is if one team adamantly refuses to score!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I somehow have -2 bets remaining in pick'em for next week, please advise.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

pyromance posted:

I also don't know how you can say that homefield is really some kind of huge advantage for Jacksonville, playing against Miami.
I'd say the Jags would have, like, a 5-10% chance in Miami, and the proximity does make it less of a chore for Miami. But we're still talking about a team that was 4-4 on the road last year against a team that was 3-5 at home, and the odds have Miami as a 2.7 to 1 favorite to win. When you're trying to go 17 straight, ideally you'd like at least 4 to 1. Saints are 5 or 6 to 1, and Brees pretty much never loses to bad teams at home; big difference. Colts are about 3 to 1, so on par with Miami as a respectable but not ideal choice. Don't see a line for Ravens/Raiders, which would seem like the other potential selection.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I made 5 funbuck bets and won all of them: Cincy -3.5, Jets -3.5, parlay of Pats and Packers moneyline, parlay of Bills and Niners against the spread, and parlay of Ravens-Broncos and Dolphins-Redskins both going under.

I also picked Tampa in eliminator.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Why did I believe in the loving Eagles?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

AKMoose posted:

Why did I believe in the loving Eagles?

_____/

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

AKMoose posted:

Why did I believe in the loving Vikings?

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I love doing this stuff each year. It's always a reminder that no matter how sure you can be of a pick, we're still in for a few bloodbaths each year. The games we're picking in eliminator usually aren't going to give you poo poo all for return if you bet money on them, and we're still loving these up. We have people go ~66% on pickem and ~55% on spread pickem each year, but not the same people from year to year.

I'm glad that I have a place where I can do this poo poo to see how hosed I'd be if I were actually putting money on these things.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Everyone pickin' Saints as their eliminator. Gonna be real silly if Jameis trounces them.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

seiferguy posted:

Everyone pickin' Saints as their eliminator. Gonna be real silly if Jameis trounces them.

Mariota had a perfect passer rating vs the Bucs D. Even if Jameis plays better they won't be able to stop Brees.

Edit: Looks like Brees tossed 6 INTs in 2 games vs. Tampa last year. Still won both games.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 15, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Not me, I've got the Rams over Redskins.

I'm either going to be a loving genius or I'm going to be laughed out of this thread. My body is ready.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
No one's going to laugh you out of the thread for betting against Washington.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Rams at -3.5 seems like a decent spread eliminator pick, and a better eliminator pick than the spread would suggest. Their offense should get at least 14 points, and I can easily see their defense holding the Skins to 10 or less. They won 24-0 in Washington last year and won their only other easy road game (TB) in a year with a really brutal schedule.

Now I'm debating whether to move from Arizona as my spread eliminator pick...

Rura Penthe
Jun 2, 2000
Lock up your microwaves... SwearingScience is here!

King Hong Kong posted:

I somehow have -2 bets remaining in pick'em for next week, please advise.

You hit the race condition bug that I've been too lazy to fix for years and had 3 bets for one game. Fixed.

will the thrill
Aug 18, 2003

When I hit the club, Ima be wit David Banner, a thug ass nigga wit bad table mannaz
Horse Pr0n here.... My FunBucks show I'm up $171.44(1,171.44)but by my calculation I should be at $940.01. I'm thinking my parlay (hit 2 of 3 selections) paid out when it shouldn't have.

Honesty points +1?

will the thrill fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 16, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Saints for Elim, Hawks for reverse, a whole lot of away teams in Pickem.

Nice knowing y'all.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

will the thrill posted:

Horse Pr0n here.... My FunBucks show I'm up $171.44(1,171.44)but by my calculation I should be at $940.01. I'm thinking my parlay (hit 2 of 3 selections) paid out when it shouldn't have.

Honesty points +1?

I wouldn't worry. You'll lose all the fun bucks in week 2.

will the thrill
Aug 18, 2003

When I hit the club, Ima be wit David Banner, a thug ass nigga wit bad table mannaz

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I wouldn't worry. You'll lose all the fun bucks in week 2.

Protect the Shield

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

wandler20 posted:

Mariota had a perfect passer rating vs the Bucs D. Even if Jameis plays better they won't be able to stop Brees.

Edit: Looks like Brees tossed 6 INTs in 2 games vs. Tampa last year. Still won both games.

Using division games for eliminator is a bad idea.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

NC-17 posted:

Especially the Saints and Bucs this year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NC-17 posted:

:ssh:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

If you must pick the Saints and jinx it for us, wait until Week 16.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
You will hopefully excuse me if I take Drew loving Brees over a rookie quarterback who spent most of the Oregon/FSU game having a whiny babby meltdown on the sidelines after getting thoroughly housed

Especially with the rest of this lineup because I don't trust any of these motherfuckers, even Ravens/Oakland

Rura Penthe
Jun 2, 2000

will the thrill posted:

Honesty points +1?

You lost 59.99 https://saseliminator.com/user/bets/funbuck/2015/11168/REG/1 but then the funbuck topper upper gave you 231.43 for your efforts :)

Rura Penthe
Jun 2, 2000
After week 1 the house is now up 14,918.45. There is 668,346.79 outstanding funbuck supply (but that goes up every week as we top up people to reward them for wagering).

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Never trust the NFC South

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

NC-17 posted:

Bloodbaths are evenly distributed between division and non-division games, it's just that division games are 37.5% of games so it feels like they're most of them. Terrible teams almost never win road divisional games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ditch posted:

Bloodbaths are evenly distributed between division and non-division games, it's just that division games are 37.5% of games so it feels like they're most of them. Terrible teams almost never win road divisional games.

If divisional games are 37.5% of all games but 50% of all bloodbaths then they are indeed more dangerous than non-divisional games

• Locked thread