Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

ColdPie posted:

People tend to communicate at the level of the community they're in. College kids who make rape jokes with their friends probably don't say those things at their work place. It's part of why SA is such a great place to be. Even with the recent relaxation, we maintain relatively high standards and kick out those who don't meet them. If the DOTA thread has lower standards or less moderation, folks will post like poo poo there because that's the level of that community.

i don't think ur qualified to be discussing posting standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how has Games posting activity been? Do we have less goons or more goons, or maybe more goons posting less or less goons posting more? Or is it basically a steady and constant thing?

good job on modearting Games although i'd like it if people posted more about games i like instead of games i don't like, but not too much cause i don't really like to read that much haha

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Mans posted:

how has Games posting activity been? Do we have less goons or more goons, or maybe more goons posting less or less goons posting more? Or is it basically a steady and constant thing?

good job on modearting Games although i'd like it if people posted more about games i like instead of games i don't like, but not too much cause i don't really like to read that much haha

not really that great honestly. like the rest of the forums, we're down active users. Games at this time last year averaged about 1300 active users and we're currently averaging about 1100 so yea. could be because reddit, or forums in general not doing as well, or moderation, or whatever.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Games are good

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I think the stupid meme-y lovely posts like "MODS!?" after a dissenting opinion can get tiresome and overused, so banning fuckheads that spam the same kind of lame one word meme posts over and over would be a good move

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Nanomachines and decoy octopus jokes should be an autoprobation

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

How Rude posted:

I think the stupid meme-y lovely posts like "MODS!?" after a dissenting opinion can get tiresome and overused, so banning fuckheads that spam the same kind of lame one word meme posts over and over would be a good move

I have three responses to this post:
1. I think you should be banned for being tiresome and lame
2. How Rude
3. MODS!?

littleorv fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 14, 2015

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

littleorv posted:

I have three responses to this post:
1. I think you should be banned for being tiresome and lame
2. How Rude
3. MODS!?

gently caress you!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Nanomachines and decoy octopus jokes should be an autoprobation

But what if nanomachines is like a legitimate point of discussion re: game

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Kewpuh posted:

not really that great honestly. like the rest of the forums, we're down active users. Games at this time last year averaged about 1300 active users and we're currently averaging about 1100 so yea. could be because reddit, or forums in general not doing as well, or moderation, or whatever.

I blame the economy and/or Twitter.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kewpuh posted:

honestly I tried Reddit. I spent a little time in the DS2 and DeS subreddits but that fuckin up/down vote and nested-reply bullshit makes it unreadable. it probably has great content but i cant make heads or tails of it. sucks we're bleeding folks but this Games forums is still probably the best there is

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't think its Games' fault I think its probably New GBS that drove people away, it is the main forum of the site after all. It doesn't leave much of a good first impression of the whole forums at all and if you want edgy shitposting you can just get that for free on 4chan and Reddit. New GBS really just threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I always figured that the biggest cause of forums decline was bullshit like 'real life' and the real problem of the forums was simply that growth is hard and the internet is fickle.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

No Such Thing posted:

I always figured that the biggest cause of forums decline was bullshit like 'real life' and the real problem of the forums was simply that growth is hard and the internet is fickle.

I feel like there are a lot more lurkers than active posters at the very least, as compared to like five years ago.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
It's also hard to recommend an entire forum to someone. Yeah i love (insert subforums here), but all three main subforums are just a minefield of garbage and "ironic" racism and sexism.

Me: You should check out SA
Friend: OK!
GBS: :goku: :goku: :goku:
Ex-Friend: :yikes:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

All the self loathing doesn't really help. Every goon hates every other goon and everything goony and generally refuses to talk about goony poo poo in real life, because yea, it's lame and tacky. Most of Reddit has no such qualms though, and well, that's how sites attract new people.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think blaming GBS or the other two "main" forums for a board-wide downturn is hilarious. When I lurked I only lurked in the subforums I was interested in. If GBS weirded me out, I'd just go back to the subforum I liked. The idea that a subforum could scare someone away from an entire website is really funny to me. I want it to be true, because it's so stupid it's comical.

Avoiding subforums you dislike is similar to resisting cyber bullying:

EDIT: As for the rest of Games, I like Games and everything makes me happy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I think blaming GBS or the other two "main" forums for a board-wide downturn is hilarious. When I lurked I only lurked in the subforums I was interested in. If GBS weirded me out, I'd just go back to the subforum I liked. The idea that a subforum could scare someone away from an entire website is really funny to me. I want it to be true, because it's so stupid it's comical.
tbf i dont go to reddit because there are subreddits where people talk about how black people are genetically inferior and deserve to die, that the reddit mods do nothing about

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

No Such Thing posted:

i blame the closure of lf, personally.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
SA is probably in decline because its a really insular community that isnt super welcoming of new people and there isn't really a lot of 'stuff' happening

like if we had things like goons invading that Minecraft stream and having him build Gokus and poo poo then things would probably pick up

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Eonwe posted:

SA is probably in decline because its a really insular community that isnt super welcoming of new people and there isn't really a lot of 'stuff' happening

like if we had things like goons invading that Minecraft stream and having him build Gokus and poo poo then things would probably pick up

tbf if anyone besides lowtax tried to organize streamer raids like that again, the thread would probably end up with endless poo poo posts about the op having AIDS or goku being a fag before it even got off the ground.

Seriously, the smart room was a good attempt at something like that, but kinda ruined by how stupidly obvious starwars betamax and some others were trolling. He couldn't even get Derek Smart to get mad at him

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah I guess so

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

How Rude posted:

shui the gently caress up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you want to go back to the days of 2008 modding then lol, just lol

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kewpuh posted:

Was the GBS change in response to the decline or prior to it?

I know I started using Reddit because there's no "general news / interests" forum here anymore. GBS used to be my landing page because if there was something that was interesting to general goons it would be interesting to me, but now it's just FYAD-lite and if I wanted idiot racism and misrepresentation of news articles I would go to fox news.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kewpuh posted:

imo gassing threads and telling people to take certain discussions to divvied up threads and poo poo is bad and dumb. i dont like the idea of controlling the natural flow of a conversation which is what a forum basically is and i especially dont like the idea of squashing something games related that people want to post about, regardless of whether i think theyre all dork nerds (xbox one sharktank guys) or not. i think my favorite thing about the sharktank thread or the star citizen thread or any other thread that may have been gassed in the past is that the posters within them are more often than not incredibly well behaved and that makes me extremely happy. i also love that i see virtually zero reports come out of those threads

i was not being serious kewpuh, but i appreciate the response

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sigma-X posted:

I know I started using Reddit because there's no "general news / interests" forum here anymore. GBS used to be my landing page because if there was something that was interesting to general goons it would be interesting to me, but now it's just FYAD-lite and if I wanted idiot racism and misrepresentation of news articles I would go to fox news.

This guy and people like him are why Games is awesome.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I'm glad that the vita thread is both an anime and tittie safe done, God bless

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

nah, changing GBS didn't really have much of anything to do with it. There was kind of fledgling forums userbase and then very high peak with bit torrent barnyard, and then the obvious dropoff after btb was shut down. there's been a steady but gradual decline since then but the main thing that caused the biggest drop in active users was the major outage last year. a lot of people just never came back and the numbers show

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

there other thing is that there was a spike of about 500 users during e3 across the entire forums but those were mostly all in games, and half of those were guests. the goal i would think would be to show those guests that the place is worth registering for but it just seems like it never happened.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i do wish we could do more things as a group but i know that just comes with people that want to do a thing and organize it, can't really force it

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Eonwe posted:

if you want to go back to the days of 2008 modding then lol, just lol

if every post you make is the same what is the point of posting, retard

that was the point i was trying to make

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
bring back that shitposter thunderdome with rocket league 3v3s thanks in advance

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Antoine Silvere posted:

bring back that shitposter thunderdome with rocket league 3v3s thanks in advance

How Rude posted:

put this guy in it

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Antoine Silvere posted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

How Rude posted:

how rude

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Antoine Silvere posted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

put this guy in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I like Games this year more than I did last year. I was pretty skeptical of the shitposter thunderdome but it actually seems to have made most of the participants either calm down or outright go away so maybe I didn't know what I was talking about.

Take care.

• Locked thread