Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Apologies for the hijack but I'm also travelling New England way in a few weeks with my husband and thought I'd ask here for suggestions rather than make a separate thread! Our itinerary is:

October 1st: Arrive Boston
October 2nd: Hire a car, travel to Brattleboro
October 3rd: Burlington
October 5th: Jackson
October 8th: Bar Harbor
October 11th: Portland
October 13th: back in Boston,drop the hire car off and stay there fore a few days before flying home on the evening of 16th

I note the advice to avoid interstates (those are the 'I95' type roads right?) so will try and work our GPS out to avoid those. We're pretty nervous about driving over there but hopefully we'll be OK. Any other suggestions for things going on, stops to make or routes to try/avoid most welcome! I'm imagining that drives between places will be 3 hours or so, and I imagine we'll want to stop off on our travels so any suggestions of good stops between places would also be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

The route up from Brattleboro to Burlington is a gorgeous drive once you get off of I-91. The interstates aren't bad and do have views, but you're much better off taking side roads. Both Long Trail and Harpoon Breweries are on your way up near White River Junction. The Vermont Country Store is also right off of I-91 a few exits up from Brattleboro. It's definitely very touristy that caters towards people looking at the foliage and it's very kitschy but it can be a fun stop with an awesome food truck just outside. Ludlow is a fun little town near the Okemo ski resort that has a winery and some nice places to stop and get a bite. Definitely make your way up the ski areas and see if they have a gondola or lift running for some awesome views. Killington, near Rutland, is the best for this. It's generally pretty dead until ski season so much of the famous night life won't be open, but if you're there late enough in October and the nights have started getting nippy, they'll be making snow which is fun to see.

As far as Burlington goes, don't miss the Magic Hat brewery and see if there's a concert you'd like to see going on at the Higher Ground. It's a fantastic city to walk around with a lot of culture.

As far as driving goes, once you're out of the Boston metro area you'll be fine. Boston, however, is famously awful to drive in and around. I've been doing it my whole life and I still get all worked up and the inner Masshole rage monster comes out pretty quick.

Thanks for the suggestions Noise Complaint, will definitely have a look at those places! I will leave the driving in and out of Boston to the other half (I think he has a good level of road rage to fit in well...)

Riptor posted:

So just to be clear, this advice was just to clarify that the drive from Fairfield to Boston isn't very scenic - a lot of people tend to make an assumption that all parts of New England are beautiful and picturesque. Some interstates are very scenic, and most are a mixed bag, with the benefit being that they generally get you from point A to point B quicker. On the whole I would definitely advise you take the interstates between your destinations as the signage is better, there'll be (hopefully) less traffic, etc. Don't avoid them as a matter of course.

Hmm interesting, I would have assumed there would be more traffic on the Interstates, do the smaller roads get busier because of all the tourists doing fall road trips?

• Locked thread