Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I have no idea what the price comparison is of renting a car in NY vs CT but if you figured out that it's cheaper in Fairfield then yeah that's totally doable. It's a reasonable walk from the Metro station to the Hertz place so that should be fine too.

That said, the drive from Fairfield to Boston is absolutely nothing to write home about. It's boring as hell; there's pretty much no scenery. You might be better off just taking the train from NYC to Boston, and plus, once you're actually in Boston you don't want to be saddled with a car. You won't use it and it'll just be a waste of money.

What I'd recommend is you restructure it a bit:

-Head to NYC, do whatever there.
-Take the train (or a very cheap bus using megabus or boltbus) from NYC to Boston, do some stuff there for a few days. While in Boston, use public transit, not a car.
-Then, rent a car in Boston and drive to the Cape. Keep in mind the Cape is a fairly large area with a variety of different towns, many with their own vibes, so you should pick exactly where you want to go. Provincetown is going to be an extra hour+ drive from Boston than, say, Hyannis would be. Either way, drive to the cape, stay for however long
-Then drive to Acadia. You will absolutely not need "days" to drive to Acadia; it's like 5 hours from Boston so its a good drive but it's not a multi day trip or anything. If you were to go to from the cape straight to acadia it's definitely gonna take you a long-rear end time, but you could always break it up by stopping over in like, Portsmouth NH or Portland, ME.

I'd also recommend that instead of going to the Harvard football game, you go to a Red Sox (baseball) game. Much more history there, much more important culturally to the area. People only really care about Harvard football if you went to that school, compared to almost everyone in New England (except for those weirdos in Connecticut) being Red Sox fans. Also, the team sucks this year so the tickets should be easy to get and relatively cheap. The Red Sox will be at home in Boston from Sept 21-17 playing against either the Tampa Bay Rays or the Baltimore Orioles, so that works with your schedule. Here's their site and schedule: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/schedule/?c_id=bos#y=2015&m=9&calendar=DEFAULT

Also you should look into going to Salem, MA which is a nice little town with some very interesting/weird history.

If you have any questions let me know either in this thread or by PM I'd be happy to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Yeah the train is pretty expensive but look into buses - us.megabus.com and https://www.boltbus.com are both options and much cheaper. Wifi and power on the buses, plus bathrooms; it's a 4 hour ride or so but really not that bad.

Flying from NYC-Boston is super fast and can be pretty reasonable price-wise but keep in mind the annoyance of airports; between getting there, going through security, waiting at the gate, etc you can sometimes end up negating the time you save in the air.

and you're seriously overestimating how scenic the NYC->Boston drive is unless the prospect of seeing this for hours really excites you:

I think if you had 3-4 solid days in Boston you'd be happy with it. I live here; I'd be happy to grab a drink with you guys when you come through or at the very least recommend a few places for you to check out. Just send me a PM

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Whale watch is a great suggestion

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
hey Rojkir, what'd you end up deciding?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Well the advice that usually trumps all other advice is listen to your girlfriend so just do what she wants to

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Noise Complaint posted:

If you do make your way to Cape Cod, make sure you stop at the Chatham Squire in Chatham, MA and get some steamed clams (steamah's) and a pint of local beer. You can go down to the pier after and see the fishermen unloading their catch.

this is great advice. That place owns and the fish slide is hilariously disgusting

Also you guys should consider stopping at Two Roads Brewery in Stratford, CT. Just about 10-15 minutes up route 95 from Fairfield.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Robot Mil posted:

I note the advice to avoid interstates (those are the 'I95' type roads right?)

So just to be clear, this advice was just to clarify that the drive from Fairfield to Boston isn't very scenic - a lot of people tend to make an assumption that all parts of New England are beautiful and picturesque. Some interstates are very scenic, and most are a mixed bag, with the benefit being that they generally get you from point A to point B quicker. On the whole I would definitely advise you take the interstates between your destinations as the signage is better, there'll be (hopefully) less traffic, etc. Don't avoid them as a matter of course.

And yeah interstates are any road that you see with the red white and blue shield type logo like this:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
For the most part you're going to be taking the interstates that connect very rural, low density population centers, not the 405 in Los Angeles or anything. The other non interstate routes in the area are not as direct, will have traffic lights, and are not built to hold the same capacity. Interstates will almost always be quicker

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
bah, oh well.

Tons of breweries along the route you're going. In Boston you have Harpoon, Trillium, Sam Adams, Slumbrew, Night Shift, Idle Hands, Boston Beer Works, and Bantam and Downeast if you want cider. I highly recommend Harpoon, they have a wonderful gigantic tasting room there with a billion options.

Portland has Allagash, Gritty McDuffs, Geary's, Rising Tide, Sebago, and even a pretty drat good meadery - Honeymaker Mead.

You should also go to Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston, part of Boston - they have 113 beers on tap and over 300 bottles. Note that it's different than Sunset Cantina, which is nearby but focuses on margaritas rather than beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
dont listen to this obvious buzz marketer

• Locked thread