Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Consider coming out to rural New England rather than just riding the coast. You're here the best time of year you possibly could be for that. There's dozens of fall fairs going on including the biggest one in New England, The Eastern States Exposition (The Big E.) in West Springfield, MA. The classic country fair is a fantastic piece of Americana to take in, fried food and all. Do some apple picking, you can't throw a stone without hitting an orchard in the rural parts of New England, stop at some Farmer's Markets, especially the big one in Coventry, CT at the Nathan Hale Farmstead which was the home of the famous American Revolutionary whose name it bears. ("I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country.")

If you find yourself in northern New England many ski areas including Killington in VT let you take the ski lifts up to the top to see the beautiful fall views, especially towards the end of your trip which should be near peak foliage season in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Stop and stay at a bed and breakfast and have some pancakes or french toast with local maple syrup.

If you do make your way to Cape Cod, make sure you stop at the Chatham Squire in Chatham, MA and get some steamed clams (steamah's) and a pint of local beer. You can go down to the pier after and see the fishermen unloading their catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Robot Mil posted:

Apologies for the hijack but I'm also travelling New England way in a few weeks with my husband and thought I'd ask here for suggestions rather than make a separate thread! Our itinerary is:

October 1st: Arrive Boston
October 2nd: Hire a car, travel to Brattleboro
October 3rd: Burlington
October 5th: Jackson
October 8th: Bar Harbor
October 11th: Portland
October 13th: back in Boston,drop the hire car off and stay there fore a few days before flying home on the evening of 16th

I note the advice to avoid interstates (those are the 'I95' type roads right?) so will try and work our GPS out to avoid those. We're pretty nervous about driving over there but hopefully we'll be OK. Any other suggestions for things going on, stops to make or routes to try/avoid most welcome! I'm imagining that drives between places will be 3 hours or so, and I imagine we'll want to stop off on our travels so any suggestions of good stops between places would also be good.

The route up from Brattleboro to Burlington is a gorgeous drive once you get off of I-91. The interstates aren't bad and do have views, but you're much better off taking side roads. Both Long Trail and Harpoon Breweries are on your way up near White River Junction. The Vermont Country Store is also right off of I-91 a few exits up from Brattleboro. It's definitely very touristy that caters towards people looking at the foliage and it's very kitschy but it can be a fun stop with an awesome food truck just outside. Ludlow is a fun little town near the Okemo ski resort that has a winery and some nice places to stop and get a bite. Definitely make your way up the ski areas and see if they have a gondola or lift running for some awesome views. Killington, near Rutland, is the best for this. It's generally pretty dead until ski season so much of the famous night life won't be open, but if you're there late enough in October and the nights have started getting nippy, they'll be making snow which is fun to see.

As far as Burlington goes, don't miss the Magic Hat brewery and see if there's a concert you'd like to see going on at the Higher Ground. It's a fantastic city to walk around with a lot of culture.

As far as driving goes, once you're out of the Boston metro area you'll be fine. Boston, however, is famously awful to drive in and around. I've been doing it my whole life and I still get all worked up and the inner Masshole rage monster comes out pretty quick.

Something interesting about Vermont for people visiting there. There's a vast network of unimproved roads (Class 4) in Vermont that spiderweb across the state. Most of these are ancient rights of way that date back as far as the Colonial-era. If you rent a Subaru or SUV you can drive for miles in absolutely stunning landscape. I'm talking like, not too far off some 1800's American landscape painting type vistas. These often pass through working farmland as well as old ruins. These are for the *very* adventurous as some of these rights of way can end in the middle of a farm field, or in the woods, or have been unused for so long as to be completely impassable. A couple years ago myself and some other fellow New England goons from Automotive Insanity did the Puppy Dog Run which leads from the MA border all the way to Quebec on all dirt roads. GPS files for that run can be found here. http://www.vtbmwmov.org/rides/ and a partial list of roads by town here: http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Vermont

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 14, 2015

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Bring a gun.

West Springfield is on the other side of the river from the city of Springfield and the Big E fairgrounds might as well be in Agawam. It's far from dangerous, especially when the fair is going on.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Rojkir posted:

Two roads is closed when we pass by. (Monday). Too bad, looked fun! Are there any other small breweries worth while? We're both great beer lovers!
Less than 24h before we leave for nyc. I'll keep the thread updated if anything worth mentioning happens. Hijackers more than welcome.

There is an absolute poo poo ton of breweries in CT and New England in general. Check out the CT Beer Trail page. http://ctbeertrail.net/page/breweries-1

Edit: Whoops, meant to edit my last post.

• Locked thread